Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Toxxupation posted:

How about you actually respond to my points you delusional anti-consumer idiot

How about you post content relevant to the thread and spare us the incessant poo poo flinging fest instead? Is there some kind of script you're running that wakes you up from your Doritos induced coma to pull your sweaty rear end out of bed and fling poo poo at Double Fine every time they are mentioned? Remind me to buy you a new keyboard for christmas, your s, c, a & m must be practically inexistent by now.

I wouldn't even bother responding but it's annoying to wade through postfuls of hate just to read something that has anything to do with crowdfunded games.

Your friend, Tim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mr Underhill posted:

How about you post content relevant to the thread and spare us the incessant poo poo flinging fest instead? Is there some kind of script you're running that wakes you up from your Doritos induced coma to pull your sweaty rear end out of bed and fling poo poo at Double Fine every time they are mentioned? Remind me to buy you a new keyboard for christmas, your s, c, a & m must be practically inexistent by now.

I wouldn't even bother responding but it's annoying to wade through postfuls of hate just to read something that has anything to do with crowdfunded games.

Your friend, Tim

lol if you're not actually involved with Double Fine then please seek therapy. You have brain problems.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mr Underhill posted:

Your friend, Tim

Hahahaha this is getting good.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how does anyone defend any game company?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr Underhill posted:

Your friend, Tim

Dude is unhappy with a company who is currently related to an ongoing crowdfunding thing. I'm not really sure why you're acting like he is the new Hitler.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

mr underhill is an idiot but his mentality speaks to a larger problem with the consumer base and why DF in particular has received no public flak over the DF-9 thing; if people were willing to divorce their opinions about the company or the individuals involved and see it from a strictly pro-consumer angle then even the most diehard of defenders would agree that the way DF handled DF-9 was less than optimal

like, there should be zero disagreement on the idea that double fine should issue refunds on DF-9, at least to people who want them, since any reasonable human being can look at DF-9 and even if they love the game go "People justifiably feel like they didn't receive what they paid for and double fine should refund them their money if they feel that way", there should be zero disagreement on the idea that double fine, at the very very least, should put up a huge text warning on the steam store page and any way one can purchase DF-9 that acts as a warning label to potential consumers what the contents of what they're buying is. there should be zero disagreement on the idea that the way schafer defined the whole "Alpha-to-Gold" switch in a month sounds shady and misleading at best, and it's something he should not have done if he wanted at all to present the product his company made honestly

there should be none. i will be the first to admit i have a serious personal issue with double fine and schafer especially, since i firmly believe he approved a company-wide scam of its consumer base that they've been perpetrating for almost a year at this point, but setting all that and looking at this from a strictly pro-consumer angle there are things that DF should've, or should've been obligated to, do and they didn't. those things would not have cost them much (in the case of issuing refunds to people who wanted them) or been outright free (the schafer "alpha to gold" memo, a warning label on its store page), but there are legions of people like underhill who will defend every action a company takes as moralistic. and it's genuinely sickening since it allows anti-consumer policies and actions to pass by unnoticed

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Levantine posted:

lol if you're not actually involved with Double Fine then please seek therapy. You have brain problems.

It's not about DF and I'm not even on the same continent as they are, much less in any way involved. It honestly irks me every time people talk poo poo about game devs in general, because with very few exceptions, none of them are scammers and you all loving know it. I seem like a DF apologist because they come up the most and I tend to play mostly adventure games, had people been making GBS threads on some move Wadjet pulled I'd be just as annoyed. I get it, people gently caress up, I don't have a problem with folks bitching about it, but over and loving over again, the same old poo poo repeated ad nauseam, it just gets tiring and I'd rather read about some cool new game someone found out about, loving blame me for that.

ImpAtom posted:

Dude is unhappy with a company who is currently related to an ongoing crowdfunding thing. I'm not really sure why you're acting like he is the new Hitler.

This is my Kristalnacht goddamn it. Which makes sense, 'cause this thread's turning into a ghetto.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mr Underhill posted:

It's not about DF and I'm not even on the same continent as they are, much less in any way involved. It honestly irks me every time people talk poo poo about game devs in general, because with very few exceptions, none of them are scammers and you all loving know it. I seem like a DF apologist because they come up the most and I tend to play mostly adventure games, had people been making GBS threads on some move Wadjet pulled I'd be just as annoyed. I get it, people gently caress up, I don't have a problem with folks bitching about it, but over and loving over again, the same old poo poo repeated ad nauseam, it just gets tiring and I'd rather read about some cool new game someone found out about, loving blame me for that.

Are you for real right now?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mr Underhill posted:

It honestly irks me every time people talk poo poo about game devs in general, because with very few exceptions, none of them are scammers and you all loving know it.

Then will you please enlighten the class what you call actively promoting and selling an unfinished game with no indication (from those selling it) of said unfinished state? I mean for gently caress's sake the game doesn't even have an indicator for a key resource.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mr Underhill posted:

This is my Kristalnacht goddamn it. Which makes sense, 'cause this thread's turning into a ghetto.

lol you're actually a human piece of poo poo

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Toxxupation posted:

mr underhill is an idiot but his mentality speaks to a larger problem with the consumer base

This idiot has no problem with what you're saying. This idiot has a problem with you repeating the same loving thing over ond over every 10 pages or so, with very little editing and no new concepts or information. Your frothing at the mouth was fun for a while, but much like watching someone bash their head against a transparent wall, it really gets old the 203rd time. Hth

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I am a game dev and therefore I am literally compelled to defend any and all other game devs regardless of how scummy their practices are

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

underhill must refer to the hole being dug

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mr Underhill posted:

This idiot has a problem with you repeating the same loving thing over ond over every 10 pages or so, with very little editing and no new concepts or information.

Then maybe DF should stop doing or getting involved with things that make them look, at best, like a bunch of incompetent hucksters. :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mr Underhill posted:

Your post are as bad as your favorite genre.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mr Underhill posted:

Mr Underhill posted:

This is amazing work. As a student of history I can say that I’ve seen hundreds of pictures like this, and have shown little to no emotion. The pictures were just windows to a past I’ve never lived in, people who I never knew or would ever know. But this picture made me stop and evaluate. Putting Double Fine in made me actually look at what is really happening. Putting something that everyone is familiar with in a situation that no one knows, and to make people feel those emotions well, that takes amazing talent. Thank You.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Kyrosiris posted:

Then maybe DF should stop doing or getting involved with things that make them look, at best, like a bunch of incompetent hucksters. :v:

Yeah, maybe they should. Now go back and count how many posts away we are from anything kickstarter or crowdfunding related we are and you'll maybe start seeing my point.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Mr Underhill posted:

Yeah, maybe they should. Now go back and count how many posts away we are from anything kickstarter or crowdfunding related we are and you'll maybe start seeing my point.

shut up nerd

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Lord Lambeth posted:

Yeah I'm never gonna buy the game but I don't think DF went out of their way to willfully mislead anyone. They aren't Randy Pitchford and Colonial Marines.

Speaking of Colonial Marines comparisons:

pcgneurotic posted:

Like the similarly blighted and similarly great fun Aliens: Colonial Marines, it’s a game with a bad reputation that in reality is only partially deserved. Early adopters and those who saw the potential for a Dwarf Fortress in space have every right to be annoyed (and to make those thousands of “negative” Steam reviews). But for those of us coming to the game in its ‘finished’ state, and aware of the lingering problems, there is still much fun to be had. Double Fine’s original plan for the game was hugely ambitious, ultimately requiring much more funding than they could successfully raise for it (hence the truncated development). It was only unfortunate that they had already taken it well into the Early Access phase at USD 20 a pop before they realised this. But that’s one of the risks of public alphas, crowdfunding and transparent game development. Like condoms, no one's happy when they go wrong.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mr Underhill posted:

Mr Underhill posted:

Yeah but Spacebase wasn't kickstarted? Or am I remembering it wrong? Never played Space Base, but I remember it being Early Access, and only Broken Age and Massive Chalice being kickstarted.
E: Disclaimer: I am a HUGE Schafer & DF fanboy, so please consider my posts accordingly :)

Come on man, last time this came up you admitted you felt a deep personal connection to Schafer and it coloured your feelings pretty heavily, don't try and play like you're a disinterested observer now

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mr Underhill posted:

This idiot has no problem with what you're saying. This idiot has a problem with you repeating the same loving thing over ond over every 10 pages or so, with very little editing and no new concepts or information. Your frothing at the mouth was fun for a while, but much like watching someone bash their head against a transparent wall, it really gets old the 203rd time. Hth

Dude, I don't got a beef with you, but you should probably pull out of this thread for now.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Come on man, last time this came up you admitted you felt a deep personal connection to Schafer and it coloured your feelings pretty heavily, don't try and play like you're a disinterested observer now

Sure I am a fanboy, and I'll be the first to admit it again, it's having to scroll through the same poo poo for pages on end that compelled me to say anything. Read all my previous posts, I never defended the DF9 poo poo because it's not something I'm interested in, if DF hosed up yes people have the right to bitch and moan, but every once in a while this thread turns into loving spacebase groundhog day aaaaand gently caress it, I'm even tired of typing this. I'll just come back when we're back to talking about crowdfunding, Less hate would do everyone some good, not just the thread. Peace and love.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Mr Underhill posted:

I'll bite. Double Fine came up in the discussion of a new crowdfunding platform founded by an ex-DF COO, advised by literal Satan Tim Schafer, and is planned to be the home of future DF crowdfunding attempts. So the answer is zero posts away. Besides, without your lunatic ramblings, we would have moved on by now, so the power to end this is within you. But I'm hoping you won't.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Toxxupation posted:

From what I understand the terms of borrowing from the indie fund are basically usury so df was kinda forced to repay df-9 immediately

Ok, even though I do agree with you in principle, I'd like to at least add some more clarity on this point.

From Indie-Fund's website:

quote:

Indie Fund provides funding that helps developers make great games, but we are not a publisher. We don’t do QA, we don’t manage your game for you, don’t run your booth at PAX, and we don’t do your PR or marketing for you. On the other hand, we also don’t own any of your IP, don’t expect to be repaid if somehow your game doesn’t launch, and don’t pressure you into launching on an arbitrary launch date.

It was COMPLETELY Double Fine's decision to release DF9 when it did. Double Fine could have canned it right then and there when the money ran out, or they could have let it limp along in-house with whatever spare dev-time and cash they could scrape up until it was further along.

Here are Indie-Fund's actual terms of repayment:

quote:

Repayment – Once the game is released, you first pay back the investment and then share 25%of the revenue, until we double the initial investment, or until 2 years after the initial launch date, whichever comes first.

No long term obligations – If the game did not generate enough revenue to repay the investment within 2 years of release, the agreement expires and you no longer owe Indie Fund anything. Whatever revenue your game generates from that point on is yours to keep. If the game does generate enough revenue to repay the investment the agreement could expire even sooner leaving 100% of the revenue to you.

Yes, that's a little steep, but the interest doesn't compound like an actual loan would, so you know up-front just how much taking this money will cost you. And if you don't repay it in 2 years of sales, the rest of it gets discharged (try getting that kind of deal from the bank).

Now for those who haven't yet tired of this discussion (all two of us), here's what Indie-fund had to say about Spacebase:

quote:

Spacebase required around $400k to develop, so it would have been unwise for Indie Fund to go it alone. A $400k game in a stable of $50k-$150k games would make for an imbalanced portfolio, and would mean more risk than we were comfortable with.

quote:

Spacebase DF-9 went into open alpha last month and recouped the entire $400k investment two weeks from that date. 85% of the revenue came in via Steam Early Access, and the other 15% via direct sales by Double Fine.

While it's unclear whether this means that Double Fine paid back just the $400k or the (presumed) $800k in two weeks, at any rate after that point Double Fine was at a minimum receiving 75% of all money made from the sales of DF9. So it can't even be claimed the terms Indie-fund placed on Double Fine significantly hampered the development of DF9.

Nemo2342 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 20, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The reason this discussion keeps coming up over and over again, same with MN9, is because the developers have done nothing to combat this reputation or show steps in the right direction. Until a product comes out that is 100% legit or at least satisfies the majority of its backers, the issue won't go away.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Spacebase DF-9 does not have a Steam Workshop page.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Mirificus posted:

quote:

But that’s one of the risks of public alphas, crowdfunding and transparent game development.

I don't agree with that at all, and I don't know how they could be that dense.

The problem wasn't selling alpha access, or the alpha being public (which it wasn't, you had to own the game), or crowdfunding or anything like that. The problem was Tim Co. had no financing for the game, and it was purely funded by ongoing sales. That was the problem, and it's not the way to develop video games.

So anyone shrugging their shoulders and saying "welp that's alpha/crowdfunding for ya!" aren't seeing the real problem. Timmy didn't have the capital to fund the game, and he didn't let any of us know that.

DF-9 was like dragging a dead dog around Crufts with a blind audience, and Tim providing the commentary. "Look at him go, wow what a dog! Isn't this awesome? We could do these tricks all day! Donate now!"

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Mr Underhill posted:

Sure I am a fanboy, and I'll be the first to admit it again, it's having to scroll through the same poo poo for pages on end that compelled me to say anything. Read all my previous posts, I never defended the DF9 poo poo because it's not something I'm interested in, if DF hosed up yes people have the right to bitch and moan, but every once in a while this thread turns into loving spacebase groundhog day aaaaand gently caress it, I'm even tired of typing this. I'll just come back when we're back to talking about crowdfunding, Less hate would do everyone some good, not just the thread. Peace and love.

How come when Satan decided to come back to Earth, he did so in the form of a Schafer apologist posting on something awful forums?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mr Underhill posted:

are you mentally ill

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

HGH posted:

The reason this discussion keeps coming up over and over again, same with MN9, is because the developers have done nothing to combat this reputation or show steps in the right direction. Until a product comes out that is 100% legit or at least satisfies the majority of its backers, the issue won't go away.
One of the problems is we have no idea what they're even working on right now. Steed? Waiting for another Amnesia Fortnight? I know that they're working with Adult Swim Games on something but haven't heard anything since then.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Mr Underhill posted:

Stop drinking the kool-aid.

You're so deep into the rabbit hole it's actually amusing to watch.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mr Underhill posted:

It honestly irks me every time people talk poo poo about game devs in general, because with very few exceptions, none of them are scammers and you all loving know it.

most of them produce garbage whether knowingly or unknowingly

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Oh my God shut up you horrible spergs, hey here's a stupid kickstarter game that will never get funded https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/393076780/block-heads-big-heads-bigger-guns

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

One of the problems is we have no idea what they're even working on right now. Steed? Waiting for another Amnesia Fortnight? I know that they're working with Adult Swim Games on something but haven't heard anything since then.

Day of the Tentacle: Special Edition? Haven't heard much on that front in a while, though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

AnonSpore posted:

I am a game dev and therefore I am literally compelled to defend any and all other game devs regardless of how scummy their practices are

I mean, I'm hesitant to outright talk poo poo because people put a lot of work into these things--though all things considered, I'm already an abrasive gently caress so logically I shouldn't be--but show me a Super Retro Squad shitshow and I'll have a great laugh.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

GetWellGamers posted:

Oh my God shut up you horrible spergs, hey here's a stupid kickstarter game that will never get funded https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/393076780/block-heads-big-heads-bigger-guns

Block Heads posted:

As a small side note I'm very proud of my "Trip" mechanic. Players can lose balance when walking on steep surfaces or walking off a ledge causing them to tumble down: Thus losing their ability to do anything but shoot, I left shooting in because players me get in a lucky shot that could save their lives or waist all their current ammo and get up and immediately need to reload (risk vs reward scenario).
:downs:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

GetWellGamers posted:

From the broken English I'd assumed the guy was from somewhere in Eastern Europe but apparently he's from Ohio???

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

He finished high school in 2015. How old does that make him in the US?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Christian Knudsen posted:

He finished high school in 2015. How old does that make him in the US?

18 or 19, unless he skipped grades or got advance credit somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Ouch.