Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Haggins posted:

I still upload to Flickr but I enjoy using 500px way more. The quality of the photos people post is so much better and it's fun to see how popular your photos become. I also like how there are groups now, though to be honest I haven't spent much time in them.

Flickr is still used by lots of the photographers I follow, but tumblr is getting more popular, like deaders said.

500px is for dentist photographers.

Also, re: Flick Pro chat - I never upgraded to anything, so it says I have unlimited. Would that change?

Edit: Oh I guess I am Pro, I have access to the fancy stats page.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
500px is useful for primarily for boobies imo

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

red19fire posted:

It's for a movie called Bang-Bang Club. Taylor Kitch plays Kevin Carter, who won 2 pulitzers for his coverage of apartheid in the late 80's/early 90's and killed himself because of people's criticism of his famous photo of the vulture with the starving child.
I haven't seen the movie, but I did find the original autobiography an engrossing read. Are there any photographer (auto)biographies that have goon approval? The only other one I have is Don McCullin's Unreasonable Behaviour, which again I would recommend.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yeah, I am gonna let it auto-renew for another two years since I'm grandfathered in with the old Pro account, but it implies that even grandfathered users are going to have to pay the higher rate once that two year thing expires.
Me too. I couldn't be arsed to cancel my pro account, and it just auto-renews every March. I get two emails, the first one saying "We're gonna renew, cool?", the second "We renewed, you payed, all is cool, right?" and I just ignore them.

And yeah, what does the pro thing get me? I'm not clear what I've been paying for ever since they opened it up to 1TB for free for everyone. To me at the moment (obviously this could change in a few years), 1TB might as well be unlimited, I'm using 15.4GB, or about 1.5% of that 1TB that hoi polloi get. While I like the stats they could certainly be better in many ways and I find the interface a bit clunky, especially their Google-like repeated "We are doing this new thing! Click here to accept that you understand we are doing this new thing! Keep clicking this every drat day for months because we can't remember we told you this!" annoyances.

But I'm basically happy with Flickr, I don't spend any time on it except to upload and annotate my photos; it mostly serves as an easy place to put my photos that I can link to here and on Facebook. For seeing what other people are up to, I pretty much exclusively browse the Dorkroom. There are certainly many, many excellent photographers who are not goons, but it's very rare for me to find somebody who is doing the kind of thing I would like to do, better. If that sounds self-aggrandizing, it's not meant to - I mean I rarely find photographers who shoot the kinds of stuff I shoot (birds & wildlife, for example) in circumnstances like mine, who are doing a great job that I would like to emulate. I rarely find anyone shooting the stuff I shoot in the circumstances I shoot in (e.g. not camped out in a blind for 2 weeks, not bringing insects into a studio for macro work) at all, which probably means I need to change what I do rather than look for somebody doing what I do to copy.

Or maybe I should shut up and shoot more. And edit some photos and upload them, I've got a horrendous backlog that I just haven't had time (excuses! procrastination!) to do anything with.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

ExecuDork posted:

Or maybe I should shut up and shoot more.

As I get older and more jaded (there is a guy at work who will not stop with the gearchat ever, which I'm sure is helping) I find that this is almost always the correct answer.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

Me too. I couldn't be arsed to cancel my pro account, and it just auto-renews every March. I get two emails, the first one saying "We're gonna renew, cool?", the second "We renewed, you payed, all is cool, right?" and I just ignore them.

And yeah, what does the pro thing get me? I'm not clear what I've been paying for ever since they opened it up to 1TB for free for everyone. To me at the moment (obviously this could change in a few years), 1TB might as well be unlimited, I'm using 15.4GB, or about 1.5% of that 1TB that hoi polloi get. While I like the stats they could certainly be better in many ways and I find the interface a bit clunky, especially their Google-like repeated "We are doing this new thing! Click here to accept that you understand we are doing this new thing! Keep clicking this every drat day for months because we can't remember we told you this!" annoyances.

But I'm basically happy with Flickr, I don't spend any time on it except to upload and annotate my photos; it mostly serves as an easy place to put my photos that I can link to here and on Facebook. For seeing what other people are up to, I pretty much exclusively browse the Dorkroom. There are certainly many, many excellent photographers who are not goons, but it's very rare for me to find somebody who is doing the kind of thing I would like to do, better. If that sounds self-aggrandizing, it's not meant to - I mean I rarely find photographers who shoot the kinds of stuff I shoot (birds & wildlife, for example) in circumnstances like mine, who are doing a great job that I would like to emulate. I rarely find anyone shooting the stuff I shoot in the circumstances I shoot in (e.g. not camped out in a blind for 2 weeks, not bringing insects into a studio for macro work) at all, which probably means I need to change what I do rather than look for somebody doing what I do to copy.

Or maybe I should shut up and shoot more. And edit some photos and upload them, I've got a horrendous backlog that I just haven't had time (excuses! procrastination!) to do anything with.

The fact that Flickr has reminded me, every day for the past two years, that my pro has expired does not make me interested in buying pro again. The opposite in fact.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Pablo Bluth posted:

I haven't seen the movie, but I did find the original autobiography an engrossing read. Are there any photographer (auto)biographies that have goon approval? The only other one I have is Don McCullin's Unreasonable Behaviour, which again I would recommend.

In the same vein; Blood And Champagne: The Life And Times Of Robert Capa is a good read. Diane Arbus: A Biography is also quite good.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

8th-snype posted:

In the same vein; Blood And Champagne: The Life And Times Of Robert Capa is a good read. Diane Arbus: A Biography is also quite good.

Anything by Robert Capa is pretty great. Slightly Out of Focus is one of my favorites.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apparently I'm an idiot for saying that sensors with Bayer filter don't have full subpixel resolution.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Do you also get off on paging through websites that list the specs of a lens/body?

E: how does this make you feel?

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 31, 2015

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

bobmarleysghost posted:

Do you also get off on paging through websites that list the specs of a lens/body?

Stop I can only get so hard

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

bobmarleysghost posted:

Which line is horsepower and which is torque?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Some of us are at work, please link and use NSFW warnings.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I can say with absolute certainty that I have no idea what is going on in that jpeg.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Lately my annoyance with my coworker pushes me to dismiss chart-wankery as a thin substitute for actually taking pictures, the kind of the kind of chained-to-a-desk mental exercise that feels photo-ish but is mostly just good for water-cooler talk while mostly ignoring the things that actually distinguish one photographer from another, for good or for bad. Still, it's useful to be able to look at the charts and know what's going on.

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I can say with absolute certainty that I have no idea what is going on in that jpeg.

It's missing a legend, which makes it harder to read even in general (and of course makes getting specifics an exercise in futility).

A quick search pulls up the original PetaPixel article.

Excerpt:

quote:

For those of you who don’t speak MTF, I’ll summarize a bit. In the center 1/2 of the lens (from 0 to 10mm) the Sigma clearly is more contrasty and has better resolution than even the Canon lens, especially at higher (40 lp/mm and 50 lp/mm) frequencies. In the outer part of the image (from 15mm to 20mm) though, the Canon and Sigma are about the same.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Look at you scrubs not knowing about MTF subpixel frequencies of 10 different lenses. How come you don't know about it? What are you doing with your time? Out taking photos? PFF :smug:

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

I'll always regret not being able to shoot Kodachrome, but, thanks to a recent family discovery of a few hundred mounted slides, at least I'll get to enjoy scanning Kodachrome!

shoot me now

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Clear 90 minutes from your schedule...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV-RM-Th3Uk

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I couldn't see the photography selling thread, just the gear one. Are there any sites that everyone doesn't collectively hate that allows you to sell photos and does all the selling of them without me having to do anything and that is vaguely nice and doesn't take the largest cut ever of the money after and doesn't legally own the images once I upload them to the server?

Thanks in advance, love dearly, Helmacron, aka a poor nurse volunteering in India.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Helmacron posted:

I couldn't see the photography selling thread, just the gear one. Are there any sites that everyone doesn't collectively hate that allows you to sell photos and does all the selling of them without me having to do anything and that is vaguely nice and doesn't take the largest cut ever of the money after and doesn't legally own the images once I upload them to the server?

Thanks in advance, love dearly, Helmacron, aka a poor nurse volunteering in India.
Selling prints or licensing usage?

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Ric posted:

Selling prints or licensing usage?

I just want to try and sell some prints so I can be fiscally irresponsible and buy the odd coffee without blowing my budget.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Helmacron posted:

I just want to try and sell some prints so I can be fiscally irresponsible and buy the odd coffee without blowing my budget.
saatchiart.com seems fine.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Ha, everything was great and then SaatchiArt doesn't like the aspect ratio of my images. That kinda bites but thanks anyway!

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

This is really good, thanks.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Good god, Marco Arment is extra insufferable when talking about camera gear.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Spedman posted:

Good god, Marco Arment is extra insufferable when talking about camera gear.

He sounds just like the typical gear head.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Getting real sick of delivering photos, and then seeing them posted with instagram filters applied.

Twice this week.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

iSheep posted:

Getting real sick of delivering photos, and then seeing them posted with instagram filters applied.

Twice this week.
Maybe if your photo was closer to what the client was looking for they wouldn't have to apply a filter before sharing it. :smug:

Realpost: Who loving cares dude.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Maybe if your photo was closer to what the client was looking for they wouldn't have to apply a filter before sharing it. :smug:

I shouldn't care and usually I don't but two in a row like what the gently caress.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

iSheep posted:

I shouldn't care and usually I don't but two in a row like what the gently caress.

Now you know why Instagram filters were created....there's a big demand for those over real photos.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

coldplay chiptunes posted:

People who care about how their work is represented? Photography is a visual medium and altering the color tones is altering the visual elements of the final product to the point that it's no longer an accurate representation of your work.

I personally don't care a whole lot but it's totally understandable that people do.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

mr. mephistopheles posted:

People who care about how their work is represented? Photography is a visual medium and altering the color tones is altering the visual elements of the final product to the point that it's no longer an accurate representation of your work.

I personally don't care a whole lot but it's totally understandable that people do.

A photo doesn't have to be an exact representation of the scene to be good.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I know if I painted a picture for someone, and they then decided to put a gel over the top I'd be a bit miffed.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I agree with Mr Mestiphoslsospophus.

So he creates a good photo, they slap on a filter at 1000%, then a dorkroomer finds it and decides that it's a perfect candidate for the Best Photographer thread.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Put it in your next contract that they aren't allowed to repost on Instagram unless it's without a filter and they use the #nofilter hashtag :v:

Besides don't instagrams terms basically say that your photos belong to them and they can be used for any commercial purpose they want? Probably don't want your professional photos on there anyway.

(I realize this is probably entirely unrealistic to ask)

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 21, 2015

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Flipping through my camera's memory card, they're mostly shots from a fancy reception for a client, then there's a set of long exposures when I was drawing dicks on the wall with a laser pointer.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

mr. mephistopheles posted:

It's their photo though. I mean if they're tagging you / your business in the filtered pic then yeah sure I get it, that's a misrepresentation, but otherwise who cares what people do with their personal stuff.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
How do you guys feel about revisiting older photos and making changes to them or just getting rid of them?

I don't post too often to flickr so you don't have to go too far back to find absolute rubbish and, while the stuff is cringe-worthy, at least it kinda makes me feel like I am getting less poo poo. I was looking at my feed and saw this photo and quickly redid the post processing. It's only a quick job to replace the hideous vibrance-sliders-to-11 job I had done before.

Obviously, I'm a hobbyist taking photos for myself and it's a different story if you have clients looking through your photo feeds.

crap nerd fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 21, 2015

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

BANME.sh posted:

Put it in your next contract that they aren't allowed to repost on Instagram unless it's without a filter and they use the #nofilter hashtag :v:

Besides don't instagrams terms basically say that your photos belong to them and they can be used for any commercial purpose they want? Probably don't want your professional photos on there anyway.

(I realize this is probably entirely unrealistic to ask)

I also find it a little funny when people post 35mm to instagram. The journey that photo had to take to end up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm probably gonna be posting my 6x6 shots there whenever they get back from development :shrug: