Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
The Undertale is going to be really good. It does quite a few surprising things, though I can't really say any of them without ruining their impact. :S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

SupSuper posted:

Satellite Reign is finally hitting full release on 28th August:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HsNWPTjA1s

Why have I not heard of this before? Looks pretty neat.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

kloa posted:

am I supposed to know what Undertale is?

cause that trailer is poo poo

Video Description posted:

Not the release trailer, that will be cooler.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

omeg posted:

Why have I not heard of this before? Looks pretty neat.

Yeah, ditto, definitely will scratch that cyberpunk itch after I wear out SR: Hong Kong.

(Also, anyone else catch the Black Annex shoutout? :) )

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

GetWellGamers posted:

Yeah, ditto, definitely will scratch that cyberpunk itch after I wear out SR: Hong Kong.

Speaking of Black Annex, does anyone know what's going on with that?

It was greenlit in August 2013 and the dev last updated his homepage on 1 Jan 2015, again after a year of silence.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of RPG Maker esque Kickstarters, there was a Japanese-y Kickstarter a year or two ago about a Yume Nikki looking RPG Maker game. Literally the only thing I remember was the viral trailer that featured someone who was very likely not Japanese singing in Japanese and cakes were prominently featured.

Everyone was talking about that trailer but I know I would recognize the game if it came out.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
OMORI? It's been pretty silent for a while now... :ohdear:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Yes. I guess it wasn't that long ago, a little over a year. But it says a lot that this project I read over for maybe 10 minutes has stuck in the back of my mind for so long.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Wow I totally forgot OMORI got $200,000 for an RPGmaker game.

Last update on their site was in May.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Fart of Presto posted:

Speaking of Black Annex, does anyone know what's going on with that?

It was greenlit in August 2013 and the dev last updated his homepage on 1 Jan 2015, again after a year of silence.

Yeah I'm bad at updating my website these days, I just work on it all the god-damned time. Took the near-final build to an expo last month and everything went really well, so I'm skipping PAXAus this year to just batten down and finish as much content as possible.

I forget some people don't follow me on twitter, that's where I mostly post about game-dev stuff these days. twitter.com/manfightdragon

But yeah, it's getting there. Keeps me really busy.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

KiddieGrinder posted:

Not sure if I understand it completely, but maybe it's designed to prevent over-funding based feature creep?

Better for people, they know what the project will be and the goals, and those won't change. The developers know the game they're trying to make, and have a solid plan with no unforeseen changes or additions to add.

I don't know though, could be something else. :shrug:

edit: Where's that Battletech Kickstarter! :arghfist::mad:

They probably want to see how succesful Hong Kong is before they post anything proper. Or they're too busy with Hong Kong's post-release to handle that much pressure just yet.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
And another Kickstarter point 'n click! We Need A Hero

From the video (which is weirdly nothing else but game footage and trap music of all genres) it looks like a lot of it's been developed. Don't really like what I'm seeing, BUT props to the animators for this particular dance sequence, especially since they pulled it off with rig-based animation. Also not a big fan of backgrounds made in black and white with a multiply color layer on top. Sometimes Bill Tiller pulls that off nicely but most mere mortals don't.

On second inspection, the game's done, needs $ for polish:

Devs posted:

We have finished most of the development and the game is playable on both PC and mobile devices. But with a boost from Kickstarter, we can put some much-needed finishing touches on the whole project.

And again I am baffled by the fact that the game is DONE and they aren't putting a demo up on the KS page on day one. I don't get the reasoning behind that.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yes, Your Grace had a weird update.

quote:

Hey there!

We’re going to have to be a little mysterious with you for this update. We are currently doing some important work with Yes, Your Grace that we can’t say anything about yet… If all goes to plan we should have a significant update fairly soon. We’re sorry we can’t say more right now. Rest assured that we’re still working hard to bring Yes, Your Grace to players!

We have made some small improvements on the demo build, such as fixing a bug that could prevent you from getting past the tutorial stage, and improving some of the dialogue. Feedback from our Alpha backers is still very much appreciated.

Also, we have now started to add the game ending mechanics, implementing game over screens and conditions, and we have begun some resource management fixes.

As ever, thanks for your patience. We really want to get the full alpha and beta out as soon as possible, but we still need to make sure that the game is of a high enough standard for you to enjoy.

Speak to you all again soon,

Brave at Night

Like, what is the point of that? I'm assuming they got a publisher deal and sticking all their unfulfilled stretch goals on it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Fart of Presto posted:

There is a new update from The Mandate showing off a pre-alpha ship boarding demo.
It looks pretty cool for a pre-alpha, though the commentary sounds so staged it almost hurts.

I think they were saying that they'd showed the demo a few times. I actually like the look of what they're achieving there, in terms of the tactical movement and being able to execute plans on a timeline. Again, a very ambitious pitch for the amount of money that they raised and low on my confidence meter to be completed.

I spent some times in the arms of Grim Dawn this weekend, and that's shaped up extremely well from a fairly uninteresting Beta. I'd abandoned it after running into a bug that wouldn't let me advance the storyline, but decided to have a really good crack at it. It's more Titan Quest than Diablo 3, but that doesn't really impact it badly, it just changes the dynamics slightly.

Very well done.

SupSuper posted:

Satellite Reign is finally hitting full release on 28th August:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HsNWPTjA1s

Looks really nice in action. All wet and neon everywhere. Controls are a little bit funky, but I haven't really had the time to throw into this one before release.

GetWellGamers posted:

Also, the holographic tree is a neat callback to the Ladd Company logo. - http://img22.mtime.cn/up/2011/05/24/220712.55882793_o.jpg

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 24, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Pillars expansion tomorrow? What a time for crpgs.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

Yes, Your Grace had a weird update.

Like, what is the point of that? I'm assuming they got a publisher deal and sticking all their unfulfilled stretch goals on it.
I took the purpose as mainly a "we're still working on the game" update phrased a little awkwardly. I'll agree that even if you're working on something you're not ready to reveal just yet, it's better to pop up every month to show that you're still alive and kicking.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I guess sometimes lowballing actually works in the dev's favor: Retronator Pixel Art Academy is 4967% funded.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Someone saw Sunless Sea and thought "Yeah, the gameplay was perfect."

http://www.pixeltrickerygames.com/2015/08/24/two-huge-announcements/

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming

Megazver posted:

Someone saw Sunless Sea and thought "Yeah, the gameplay was perfect."

http://www.pixeltrickerygames.com/2015/08/24/two-huge-announcements/

Yeah, I think Sunless Sea is pretty much a perfect game, and it inspired me to begin making A House of Many Doors.

But I'm trying to do something different - I think there's room in the "top-down vehicle-driving exploration RPG" stable for another, smaller pony. My game has a little more focus on the player's crew, much more procedural generation, a very different combat system, and of course a completely different setting.

And Failbetter Games have given me their blessing to keep doing what I'm doing!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Transarctica has gone weird.
Actually, no... this one doesn't have mammoth cavalry.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Skelicopter posted:

Yeah, I think Sunless Sea is pretty much a perfect game, and it inspired me to begin making A House of Many Doors.

I really loved Sunless Sea, but it's far from a perfect game. Things people complain about often include:

The slow pace of gameplay.
The lack of obvious, sustainable ways to make money.
The difficulty of obtaining certain quest-related items without already having played the game/read the wiki.
Roguelike permadeath not meshing well with having static story elements.
Dull, repetitive combat.

If you're going to make a spiritual successor, you should look at improving the formula instead of viewing the original as perfect.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

SelenicMartian posted:

Transarctica has gone weird.
Actually, no... this one doesn't have mammoth cavalry.

Transarctica was pretty awesome, someone Kickstart a remake please.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Good Riddance. like we need more idiots trying to be OFF or Space Funeral without getting what was so fun about those.

Also everytime UnderTale gets mentioned I keep getting overly exited because I think it's The Underside, then get hopelessly sad because Underside is probably never gonna be anything more than a demo.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 26, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I hope omori does well because I don't like to piss on people's fun ideas.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

Transarctica was pretty awesome, someone Kickstart a remake please.
It sure had one of the best way to quit a game.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I wonder how guys who strongly dislike different "block" sizes in pixel art games feel about Mud. Strong trigger warning for people wit OCD or who generally give at least a couple of fucks about visual and design consistency. drat!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

That's not pixel art? That's Voxel graphics.

Textures look really flat, they really should add something to the super boring grey cave area.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Lord Lambeth posted:

That's not pixel art? That's Voxel graphics.

Textures look really flat, they really should add something to the super boring grey cave area.

edit: into the pixel art ghetto with you.

I was just referring to the concept of having distinctive visual styles clashing, which this Mud game takes to a whole other level. It's like taking a nice high poly model and slapping it onto voxely Minecraft - actually that's exactly what it is.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Mr Underhill posted:

I was just referring to the concept of having distinctive visual styles clashing, which this Mud game takes to a whole other level. It's like taking a nice high poly model and slapping it onto voxely Minecraft - actually that's exactly what it is.
Actually that's pretty standard for a Craftlike, they're clearly not selling it on the art.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Colon Semicolon posted:

Good Riddance. like we need more idiots trying to be OFF or Space Funeral without getting what was so fun about those.

Also everytime UnderTale gets mentioned I keep getting overly exited because I think it's The Underside, then get hopelessly sad because Underside is probably never gonna be anything more than a demo.

I can't tell if you're trying to be ironic about wanting more from not-Cave Story while in the same breath calling out someone's RPG maker game for maybe being like other RPG maker games.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
For anyone here that's heard of/enjoyed the tabletop game BattleCON, there's a kickstarter currently running for a PC/Android/IOS version of the game.

http://kck.st/1LhmZR1

(For anyone that hasn't heard of it: it's a two-player fixed-deck game meant to simulate an arcade fighting game. It's good).

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Divinity Original Sin 2: Divine Harder is up

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm in for $25. Gimme that RPG goodness (at Christmas 2016...)

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Give these people your money.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

al-azad posted:

I can't tell if you're trying to be ironic about wanting more from not-Cave Story while in the same breath calling out someone's RPG maker game for maybe being like other RPG maker games.

Oh thank goodness it's not just me that caught that.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Pledged Harder.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I haven't finished the first one because I'm waiting for the revised version.

Still gonna back this.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I got massively stuck in Original Sin about 20 hours in, and had to cast back and forth among the available fights for ones I could actually compete at. I didn't really have the interest to start again, so I put it aside; when they announced the Enhanced Edition, I figured I'd play again when that came out, see if the same thing happened. It's a mystery to me why they'd launch the Kickstarter for the second game before releasing the new and enhanced version of the first. I can't be the only one who's waiting to see what the EE feels like.

(I'm in the same boat with Wasteland 2; didn't enjoy it much, thought about restarting with a different character, heard about the new version, and am waiting on that to come out to try again.)

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

atholbrose posted:

It's a mystery to me why they'd launch the Kickstarter for the second game before releasing the new and enhanced version of the first. I can't be the only one who's waiting to see what the EE feels like.
Because most of the team is idle while the enhanced edition is being finished up. It's the same reason why so many other studios start up a new game before their current game is released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Fistful of Silence posted:

Because most of the team is idle while the enhanced edition is being finished up. It's the same reason why so many other studios start up a new game before their current game is released.

Well, I understand that -- I backed Torment: Numenera after all -- but in this particular instance, where they're pointing at the EE as a lot of work that goes towards making the sequel better, it just feels odd not to be able to evaluate those changes.

The game's getting made anyhow, and the Kickstarter is obviously going to go over its funding goal. I may just wait and get the game when it comes out. I backed a lot of videogames at one point on Kickstarter, and of the ones that have delivered, I have played exactly one all the way through. Some of them I haven't touched at all.