Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

girth brooks part 2 posted:

So does this mean they might be getting the Buck Rogers games? Because that would make me super happy.

I am not sure, because I think that those might be "property" of another owner (somehow), but given that coy remark a dev made on the forum I would say that the two Ravenloft games made on the Menzoberranzan engine are basically locks.

Don't get me wrong - I am with you and hope that they do come out, but I don't think that we can be sure that "everything SSI" is in the pipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

DrManiac posted:

Is there a mega mod/module pack or something for neverwinter nights 1?

Not really. Skip the base campaign, play either of the other ones.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
For anybody just getting into the gold box games - the crpgaddict ( http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/ ) has pretty good write-ups on several of them, and also seems to feel that Pool, at least, still holds up outside of nostalgia - though he is a glutton for punishment.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Holy mother of Christ Might and Magic 6 is so tedious and padding after awhile. I finally got to the oracle and getting the memory crystals just broke me. Decided to stop and maybe play 7. Does it get better? I l loved 6 but opening a door and seeing 20+ enemies is just too boring after awhile. It's a shame because I really liked the game but the sheer number of enemies kills it for me. Darkmoor I just gave up after counting over 100+ eyes killed.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 21, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Red Mundus posted:

Holy mother of Christ Might and Magic 6 is so tedious and padding after awhile. I finally got to the oracle and getting the memory crystals just broke me. Decided to stop and maybe play 7. Does it get better? I l loved 6 but opening a door and seeing 20+ enemies is just to boring after awhile. It's a shame because I really liked the game but the sheer number of enemies kills it for me. Darkmoor I just gave up after counting over 100+ eyes killed.

7 is better about not just literally spamming your screen with enemies for 10 minutes straight but it's the same type of game so you're still gonna spend a lot of loving time pressing A.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

7 is better about not just literally spamming your screen with enemies for 10 minutes straight but it's the same type of game so you're still gonna spend a lot of loving time pressing A.

That's fine, I just don't want Darkmoor or Superior temple of baa levels of enemy spam. Once I got to the oracle I went to castle alamos and literally stood in a room casting sparks and fire blast for 10+ minutes straight. No challenge or difficulty just wearing down walls of health.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Uh does neverwinter 1 have any UI mods for widescreen? the game is unplayable to be because the dialog box doesn't scale with resolution so it's always too tiny to read. When I Google around I can only find UI stuff for neverwinter 2.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

DrManiac posted:

Uh does neverwinter 1 have any UI mods for widescreen? the game is unplayable to be because the dialog box doesn't scale with resolution so it's always too tiny to read. When I Google around I can only find UI stuff for neverwinter 2.

There's a toggle in the default options menu to select high resolution font that makes it very readable on my 1920x1080 display.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

JustJeff88 posted:

I am not sure, because I think that those might be "property" of another owner (somehow)

The rights to Buck Rogers are currently owned by a single person, former TSR owner Lorraine Williams.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Daler Mehndi posted:

Somehow I don't remember the last area very well. I thought it was the battle featuring Bits of Moander, but apparently not. I remember an optional area that led to an encounter featuring a ton of beholders. That, too, was bullshit. Both times I heavily abused the cloud spells.

The last area was Myth Drannor, full of spiders that can instant kill you with poison (and you can't get neutralize poison in this game due to the level cap!) then you go into some old ruins, and the bonds prevent you from resting despite there being enemies every loving where.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

prometheusbound2 posted:

There's a toggle in the default options menu to select high resolution font that makes it very readable on my 1920x1080 display.

That option doesn't really help me read the text in a box 1/20 the size of my screen :v:

I need something like the planescape widescreen mod that makes that box and the font bigger.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Red Mundus posted:

That's fine, I just don't want Darkmoor or Superior temple of baa levels of enemy spam. Once I got to the oracle I went to castle alamos and literally stood in a room casting sparks and fire blast for 10+ minutes straight. No challenge or difficulty just wearing down walls of health.
7 gives you a choice between two factions after a while. Both have a home city. Picking one means you'll have to get to the other faction's city and kill poo poo there eventually. Now imagine getting every loving main quest from your leader who is in the most remote corner of their city, which is a maze and counts as a dungeon so you can't cast fly.
Also, the entire spell book is revised, so you won't be able to use a few spells for enhanced mobility at all until you clear some class quests. Of course first you'll need to find one specific NPC in the world to give you one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DrManiac posted:

Is there a mega mod/module pack or something for neverwinter nights 1?

There's this, http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/original-hakpak/player-resource-consortiums-prc-pack-v35
If you want to bend the character creation and leveling system over it's own back and break it, but it doesn't change any of the quests or loot beyond rare circumstances where they'll call you a pixie instead of an elf.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Red Mundus posted:

Holy mother of Christ Might and Magic 6 is so tedious and padding after awhile. I finally got to the oracle and getting the memory crystals just broke me. Decided to stop and maybe play 7. Does it get better? I l loved 6 but opening a door and seeing 20+ enemies is just too boring after awhile. It's a shame because I really liked the game but the sheer number of enemies kills it for me. Darkmoor I just gave up after counting over 100+ eyes killed.

The next games are much better about that. Definitely give 7 a go; they get better at the map design and don't just drop tons of enemies all over the map. I'm playing through 6 and those last dungeons get to be such a slog.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

AuntBuck posted:

The next games are much better about that. Definitely give 7 a go; they get better at the map design and don't just drop tons of enemies all over the map. I'm playing through 6 and those last dungeons get to be such a slog.

I commend you if you can go though the game up to the point where you get all the memory crystals. I looked up the dungeon after and my jaw dropped. I wonder why the devs spammed enemies all over the place like that? It's such an odd design decision.

Playing through 7 now and enjoying it immensely. I decided to do a gimmicky build and try cleric, thief, druid, and sorcerer and it's surprisingly do-able. Everyone targets the druid 'cause hatred of druids is universal and I can empathize with that. It does mean I can just stack armor and resistances on the druid and just take my time beating on enemies which is nice.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Oh, I beat the game and destroyed the world :sun:

7 probably has the best replay value as well. Take a monk as your knight/fighter if you decide to run through it again.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The best part of 6 was playing it long enough to where zones started repopulating. That was the thing that made me stop playing back in '98

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

The best part of 6 was playing it long enough to where zones started repopulating. That was the thing that made me stop playing back in '98

Once I got the fly spell it wasn't too bad. Dungeons were awful though.

Also I'm not sure how I feel about the spell changes in 7. So many spells are locked behind master/grandmaster that it feels like spell casters early aren't playing with a full deck. I guess the devs wanted to balance things out but this feels kind of lazy.

Also wish I hadn't started playing Wizardry 8 because it's ruining other rpgs for me. Holy crap that game is good. The races made me laugh though. Furries, scalies (2 even!), wookies, fairies. Game went all out. My favourite character I've created is a toss-up between kindly old samurai cat-man and werewolf Valkyrie with a southern drawl.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I liked the dungeons in 6 compared to the colonic designs of Bethesda. They were all different, and if they told you some poo poo was a giant sprawling maze it was a loving giant maze of angled passages. The VARN pyramid was stupidly huge and dull, but still a special trip.
Zone repop was fine too, because you could fly over the crowds and summon meteors from the sky later. Some rare items and all horseshoes respawned, too. A mage holding two vampiric daggers is a power to behold.

Red Mundus posted:

Also wish I hadn't started playing Wizardry 8 because it's ruining other rpgs for me. Holy crap that game is good. The races made me laugh though. Furries, scalies (2 even!), wookies, fairies. Game went all out. My favourite character I've created is a toss-up between kindly old samurai cat-man and werewolf Valkyrie with a southern drawl.
Wiz 8 is all about fighting in doorways and sleeping with your rear end to the wall. And having a bard always.
I hope you've got enough girls in your party, there's some really good female-only gear.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Well gently caress, the dungeonkeeperlike thread fell off the forums.

Just wanted to say that I figured out how to edit the maps in Evil Genius so that it doesn't choke and die. Here's the first island without any impassable rock or pre-built mountain entrances.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
If I like Legend of Grimlock will I like the Eye of the Beholder goldbox games? I love Legend of Grim but I don't know if old-school games I can stomach anymore.

lol

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 23, 2015

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
That seems like it would be easy to patch out, so it's strange that GoG didn't do it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Red Mundus posted:

If I like Legend of Grimlock will I like the Eye of the Beholder goldbox games?
The play very similarly (puzzle maze+real-time combat) and the interface in EotB is not too dated. Not using the Gold Box engine helps a lot.
Even the original Dungeon Master had a decent mouse GUI, as seen in a clone http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/851

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

ymgve posted:

That seems like it would be easy to patch out, so it's strange that GoG didn't do it.

It's the old-school "enter a codeword from the manual"-type copy protection. Most of the people that buy seriously old games on GOG like that kind of copy protection because it was made into part of the game--like dial-a-pirate. That guy's either an idiot or a troll.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Magnus Praeda posted:

It's the old-school "enter a codeword from the manual"-type copy protection. Most of the people that buy seriously old games on GOG like that kind of copy protection because it was made into part of the game--like dial-a-pirate. That guy's either an idiot or a troll.

I really can't believe that anyone who has lived through it has any nostalgia for 90's copy protection schemes. Some of them tried to make it at least a little playful (like Wing Commander asking for technical specs of the ships that actually had a little use in-game, or some of the Sierra games turning the manuals into in-world brochures and having you enter coupon codes and stuff), but the "Insert Word X in Paragraph Y on Page Z" type that SSI used can go gently caress itself.

Although it would be fun to see the reactions if people had to decipher the .jpg version of one of those fabulous black print on dark brown paper code sheets. I actually played a cracked version of Zack McKracken despite owning it just to get around that bullshit.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Wasn't there a bunch of stuff from the gold box games that were like "turn to play 93 to read the description of the EVIL TOWER!" Or am I just misremembering my childhood again?

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Essobie posted:

Wasn't there a bunch of stuff from the gold box games that were like "turn to play 93 to read the description of the EVIL TOWER!" Or am I just misremembering my childhood again?

Yes, about half the manual was usually reserved for journal entries - this was less of a copy protection thing than saving disk space, however. Also allowed them to include some pictures, maps etc. They still had the annoying "type in this word" stuff on top of that.

Also, they always made sure in to throw in some fake ones so that you couldn't really spoil yourself by accident (and the way they were arranged sure looked like they were intentionally misleading you, like having a fake evil villan speech from an NPC you haven't met yet (who actually will be a major ally) placed next to an important entry in such a way that you almost can't help but read it).

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

ymgve posted:

Not knowing how they implemented this, it might not be that easy to patch out. Or it could be that their license doesn't allow them to do that. That may be something that's up to the rights holder to do.

Either way, most people would probably say that it's not really DRM in the spirit of what most people consider to be DRM. You're still able to copy and distribute the game freely, you just need to make sure you have the manual file with the game in order to play it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
The extremely buxom Dark Queen Takhisis has confirmed here that the Dragonlance trilogy, probably the most refined games on the Gold Box engine, are confirmed to be coming to GOG "in the not-too-distant future."

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cemetry Gator posted:

Not knowing how they implemented this, it might not be that easy to patch out. Or it could be that their license doesn't allow them to do that. That may be something that's up to the rights holder to do.

Either way, most people would probably say that it's not really DRM in the spirit of what most people consider to be DRM. You're still able to copy and distribute the game freely, you just need to make sure you have the manual file with the game in order to play it.

Every cracked version of the Gold Box games I've found simply allow you to hit enter at that screen or skip it entirely, so I'd say the license prevents them from doing so.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I really want to grab Eye of the beholder but no automap kills it for me. I'm spoiled but I just hate alt-tabbing to make/read maps. Love the exploring and such but hate anything to do with maps.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

ymgve posted:

Either they couldn't or one of the rightsholders said no. I think they've ever included at least one fanmade patch in the past, but no Seirra games on GOG.com include them. Given that the rightsholders include Ubisoft (current owner of SSI's properties) and possibly Atari (current sole publisher of all D&D games), it wouldn't surprise me if someone said no.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

I really want to grab Eye of the beholder but no automap kills it for me. I'm spoiled but I just hate alt-tabbing to make/read maps. Love the exploring and such but hate anything to do with maps.

You will love The all seeing eye!

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Oh wow, that's amazing! Worth a buy now for sure. Thanks!

englerp
Oct 13, 2011

ymgve posted:

It is patched out: I simply pressed enter when the copy protection question came up.

Also the all seeing eye indeed is a god send. Although you still have to play in a window or alt-tab.
Also it doesn't work for EoB 3 which, from what i read, isn't that good anyway apparently.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

englerp posted:

It is patched out: I simply pressed enter when the copy protection question came up.
This is always a little interesting to me, when GOG appears to either hack out an annoyance themselves or just use a community patch/hack. It doesn't happen that often I think, but it's got to be either a gray area they don't bring much attention to or have as part of a legal understanding with the publisher, that they'd remove the DRM from something as long as it doesn't affect the presentation of the game. But then if they use community work, there might be a separate negotiation there too.

The only instance of using a community patch off the top of my head is MoO2, I wonder if any of the hardcore GOGnards are keeping a list on a Wikia somewhere.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I've had NWN2 for a while and have never played it. I know its not that well regarded and the add ons are hit or miss. Are there any must have mods?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

FastestGunAlive posted:

I've had NWN2 for a while and have never played it. I know its not that well regarded and the add ons are hit or miss. Are there any must have mods?

The uninstall mod. The mask of the betrayer expansion is pretty cool but it starts at a high level so you'd be pretty overwhelmed while the base game is bad and goes on for loving ever.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

The mask of the betrayer expansion is pretty cool

understatement of the entire thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I'd give it more praise if it wasn't being dragged down by the rest of NWN2.