Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
It's funny to me that the Safari Zone keeps getting mentioned as being banned, because I thought that was a hoax. You see, I've definitely watched that episode before, but for the life of me I cannot recall if there was a gun involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I definitely remember Ash suddenly owning 30 Tauros that were sitting in Oak's ranch.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Roro posted:

It's funny to me that the Safari Zone keeps getting mentioned as being banned, because I thought that was a hoax. You see, I've definitely watched that episode before, but for the life of me I cannot recall if there was a gun involved.

I definitely seem to remember watching Ash catch the Tauros when I watched it as a kid, so finding out that that came from a banned episode was surprising to me.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Funktastic posted:

I definitely seem to remember watching Ash catch the Tauros when I watched it as a kid, so finding out that that came from a banned episode was surprising to me.

I think they showed Ash catching them as a flashback in a later episode to explain why he suddenly has them, so you may be remembering that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
First Koga and Sabrina mix up their Badge names, and now Koga takes her Psychic types, too? :argh:

Name Suggestions: Rhyorn O'Hirn and Tauros Sir Loin.

Also, I recommend linking the Silph Co. music in that update. It really is good at conveying the :supaburn:-ness of that ridiculously long "dungeon".

Incidentally, when I was a kid, I could've sworn that a Rocket that fought me there had his Drowzee evolve into a Hypno mid-fight, but I must've been mistaken since I've never found anything like that via Google.

In hindsight, this might've just been what happened.

Crosspeice posted:

The kun-yomi (literal reading) of apricot is anzu. Eh? Ehhhhhhh?)

That's Janine's Japanese name, isn't it?

Crosspeice posted:

The Legend of Dratini (EP035)

This is a pretty extreme episode that was banned in a lot of places and while a lot of it is for comedic effect, it's a bit difficult to say as much when a man is threatening a ten year old with a gun an American kid could very easily take from his dad's sock drawer and "act out a scene".

The weirdest thing about that is that is that the Squirtle episode had a bunch of people robbed at gunpoint by Team Rocket before they pull out a bunch of their own guns on Ash and 4Kids never censored that.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 23, 2015

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

There wasn't much time between Team Rocket robbing them and Ash dashing in, where did they get the guns so fast?

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
They all must be from 'Murica. :911:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

No no, see, Kaiser had the gun pointed right in Ash's face. That's bad.

These guys were pointing rifles at Ash from a distance. That's fine.

Censorship is dumb and random, sort of like Youtube copyright. But 4Kids skipped the episode since they hadn't learned how to change guns in water pistols yet for their next big project.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Crosspeice posted:

No no, see, Kaiser had the gun pointed right in Ash's face. That's bad.

These guys were pointing rifles at Ash from a distance. That's fine.

Censorship is dumb and random, sort of like Youtube copyright. But 4Kids skipped the episode since they hadn't learned how to change guns in water pistols yet for their next big project.

But don't worry - they eventually learned how to change rice balls jelly filled donuts into sandwiches that stay together rolling down hills and crackers on plates.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Surprisingly enough I actually missed an analysis, since this update was the first time we've seen Sandslash. I've edited it in, as well as to the OP, but here it is for those who don't feel like spelunking.

#028: Sandslash

As of this update, we've seen just over 100 Pokemon and have caught just over 80. We're really getting there!

Edit: ALSO, to anyone who might be interested, slowbeef has uploaded his first chunk of his blind Firered nuzlocke to Youtube here, so if you want to have a kind of polar opposite experience of this LP, then look no further. Should be a blast.

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 24, 2015

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

To make it more interesting, it's a mostly blind play of Pokemon. Slowbeef has no idea how the mechanics work.

He watches the Teachey-Tv. It's great. :allears:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

SystemLogoff posted:

To make it more interesting, it's a mostly blind play of Pokemon. Slowbeef has no idea how the mechanics work.

He watches the Teachey-Tv. It's great. :allears:

I'm on the second video. Slowbeef is having a rough time with this game for babies.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Crosspeice posted:

Ohhhhhh, that's why. See, a lot of Poison types were used in Erika's Gym, so they couldn't appear here. And some other Poison types will appear later, being more affiliated with another trainer, so those can't be used. So now what's left is Pokemon that can learn Poison moves around these levels. It means you have to change up your strategy, but it kinda sucks, since we'll be facing more Psychic types in the next Gym. So I guess this is good practise?

I'm not sure I fully understand this. Was there really like a firm rule that gyms trainers couldn't use the same Pokemon as other gyms? And if so surely there are enough Poison-types in Kanto for everyone!

Crosspeice posted:

Tentacool and Tentacruel (EP019)

While not banned now, after the 9/11 attacks, this episode was skipped in rotation as it contains a fair amount of building destruction and machine guns. It's aired just fine now, but it's something to note and perfectly reasonable.

Hey I actually caught this episode once on Boomerang. It's where Misty got her Horsea.

Oh, and name Parasect DeadInside

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Parasect info posted:

Its typing is also really bad, making it 4x weak to both Fire and Poison.

:eng101: AND Flying

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Zonekeeper posted:

I think they showed Ash catching them as a flashback in a later episode to explain why he suddenly has them, so you may be remembering that.

Nope, it was definitely the full episode. I remember how Ash kept trying to catch cool Pokemon but the balls kept hitting the horde of Tauros. It was frustrating as gently caress to child me. I also vaguely remember the plot with Dratini, but only very vaguely.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Surprisingly enough I actually missed an analysis, since this update was the first time we've seen Sandslash. I've edited it in, as well as to the OP, but here it is for those who don't feel like spelunking.

#028: Sandslash

As of this update, we've seen just over 100 Pokemon and have caught just over 80. We're really getting there!

Edit: ALSO, to anyone who might be interested, slowbeef has uploaded his first chunk of his blind Firered nuzlocke to Youtube here, so if you want to have a kind of polar opposite experience of this LP, then look no further. Should be a blast.

Meh, if he feels too important to post his LPs on Something Awful nowadays, why would I bother watching?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Carbon dioxide posted:

Meh, if he feels too important to post his LPs on Something Awful nowadays, why would I bother watching?

Pokemon moratorium's still in effect and I doubt it'd get mod approval. :v:

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
As I kid I always thought it was weird that Koga (Poison Gym Leader) gave the Soul Badge and Sabrina (Psychic Gym Leader) the Marsh Badge. Did they switch places some time in development or something?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

dotchan posted:

As I kid I always thought it was weird that Koga (Poison Gym Leader) gave the Soul Badge and Sabrina (Psychic Gym Leader) the Marsh Badge. Did they switch places some time in development or something?

While they've made no effort to correct it, it's pretty evident that some mistakes were made, most likely during the translation, if I recall correctly.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's mostly for Patreon donators, so maybe he felt it'd be too much of a conflict-of-interest deal or be seen as panhandling for donations which is looked down on here?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

notoriousman posted:

It's mostly for Patreon donators, so maybe he felt it'd be too much of a conflict-of-interest deal or be seen as panhandling for donations which is looked down on here?

This and some of them would probably need to buy an account to watch content they helped fund so, yeah. :v:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

While they've made no effort to correct it, it's pretty evident that some mistakes were made, most likely during the translation, if I recall correctly.

I agree that they probably got switched on accident. Probably because the translators didn't even translate the badge names - they were given entirely new ones:

Boulder Badge = Gray Badge
Cascade Badge = Blue Badge
Thunder Badge = Orange Badge
Rainbow Badge = Rainbow Badge
Soul Badge = Pink Badge
Marsh Badge = Gold Badge
Volcano Badge = Crimson Badge
Earth Badge = Green Badge

Since Giovanni got replaced by the RGBY rival in GSC, it means that the JP Green Badge is awarded by a guy named Green in that game. (The English translations changed his canon name to Blue since Green was never released here, so we missed the joke completely due to both names being translated differently.)

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Cerony posted:

I'm not sure I fully understand this. Was there really like a firm rule that gyms trainers couldn't use the same Pokemon as other gyms? And if so surely there are enough Poison-types in Kanto for everyone!
To be fair, everyone in the game seems to refer to "poison and sleep techniques" rather than saying they're a flat out a poison gym. I don't know if it's different in the original, but at least for this version I believe every single pokemon that gets used in this gym is one that makes use of sleep and/or poison, so...

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zonekeeper posted:

I agree that they probably got switched on accident. Probably because the translators didn't even translate the badge names - they were given entirely new ones:

Boulder Badge = Gray Badge
Cascade Badge = Blue Badge
Thunder Badge = Orange Badge
Rainbow Badge = Rainbow Badge
Soul Badge = Pink Badge
Marsh Badge = Gold Badge
Volcano Badge = Crimson Badge
Earth Badge = Green Badge

Since Giovanni got replaced by the RGBY rival in GSC, it means that the JP Green Badge is awarded by a guy named Green in that game. (The English translations changed his canon name to Blue since Green was never released here, so we missed the joke completely due to both names being translated differently.)

The colors were still folded into the city names, so you still have the goofy Blue handing out the badge for Viridian City thing.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The Safari Zone capture chance stuff is actually even worse than you're describing. Values can stack, so if you throw multiple rocks, the flee chance becomes even higher, and if you throw multiple bait the capture chance bottoms out to near-nothing. And even worse, when bait runs out, the capture chance doesn't reset to default, but the flee chance does.

Exact mechanics here. It's a really bad system because the best overall capture chance is nearly always just throw balls and ignore the other things.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Carbon dioxide posted:

In addition, it's a stream and I prefer to put my prepared content stuff here.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Crosspeice posted:

What's most fascinating about watching this is realizing that Pokemon is not as immediately intuitive as long-time fans insist, and further that there's a lot of quality-of-life related things that are not immediately obvious to people playing the game, like bait-and-switch. It's also interesting how Nuzlocke is making him play super-conservative. I remember I used to do that sort of thing - beat a few Pokemon, heal, rinse and repeat. But I wasn't playing Nuzlocke (only did once, lost starter early and gave up), just overly emotionally invested in my Pokemon to the point I couldn't allow them to faint, ever.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Spatula City posted:

But I wasn't playing Nuzlocke (only did once, lost starter early and gave up), just overly emotionally invested in my Pokemon to the point I couldn't allow them to faint, ever.

Doesn't fainting take away their happiness value or something? It's like they want you to save/reset every fight.

Edit: All right, I just looked this up and it's completely negligible. Unleashing the horrors of war next time I play this game.

magikid fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 24, 2015

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

magikid posted:

It's like they want you to save/reset every fight.

Pokemon Emblem: Awakening?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Fainting reduces happiness, but it's such a minor decrease compared to the million ways you unintentionally increase it (simply walking around increases it, for example) that it doesn't matter in the slightest. You have to actively try to get happiness down instead of up.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

magikid posted:

Doesn't fainting take away their happiness value or something? It's like they want you to save/reset every fight.

Not Really, fainting subtracts 1 happiness point, the same amount as walking 256 steps adds. It's more harmful to their happiness to give them herbal remedies, like the herbal revive powder subtracts 15.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

slowbeef posted:

In addition, it's a stream and I prefer to put my prepared content stuff here.

It could've worked as its own thread, but then you would've had another way people would OH SO SUBTLY hint at stuff that it's not worth the headache.

Now get out of this hugely spoiler filled thread, but feel free to come back when you're done. :v:

Kurieg posted:

Not Really, fainting subtracts 1 happiness point, the same amount as walking 256 steps adds. It's more harmful to their happiness to give them herbal remedies, like the herbal revive powder subtracts 15.

The Revival Herb is so useful that I don't care if it makes my Pokemon miserable.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

The Revival Herb is so useful that I don't care if it makes my Pokemon miserable.

That and it doesn't matter unless you're trying to get a happiness evolution (In which case you can probably get them to a pokemon center) or you're actually running with Return (in which case your pokemon fainting is actively harming it's viability anyway)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Never used herbs. What does that one do?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It functions just like a max revive, except you can't buy max revives.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That does sound good. Jeez, but I'm too invested in my team's happiness.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

So I was thinking of uploading the entirety of Silph Co. just to show how ridiculous it is.

Didn't really count on it being 1 hour long.

We'll see.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

So I was thinking of uploading the entirety of Silph Co. just to show how ridiculous it is.

Didn't really count on it being 1 hour long.

We'll see.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
get drunk at 4 am and commentate on it like the one unedited video from the mario 64 feet thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Even to this day Koga's gym pisses me off. Even if I accept that their hands were tied in Gen 1, there's no excuse for his gym to still be 99% psychic types in the remakes. What about Grimer and Koffing and their evolutions? Ekans? Zubat? There are poison types that aren't part grass! Fuschia City in total is a bust for me. I didn't have any interest in anything in the Safari Zone. I don't gel with the mechanic. Not that it's a bad one, but I prefer to beat my critters into submission and sleep/paralyze them rather than just chucking balls/rocks and praying. Especially when you combine that luck with the luck of even encountering Chansey. Nintendo had to be full of pure spite and hatred for us when they pulled that one.

The Safari Zone in the remakes of Gold/Silver owns though. Larvitar by Gym 6!

• Locked thread