Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Placebo is a real thing, and triggering it is a reasonable thing to do, though preferably at a lower price point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Palladium posted:

I noticed somebody talking about Kangen Water way earlier in this thread.

When my brother talked about how his friend who bought the water machine for ~$3000 and I said it was a complete scam the very moment I knew about it's existence.

His rebuttal? Those that drank it "felt better", yeah because there's is no such thing as placebo or confirmation bias.

Uh hey speaking of those kinds of scammy companies, something crazy happened today. Vemma, one of those pyramid scheme companies like Amway that normally avoids being called a pyramid scheme because they're "selling a product" got ruled as a pyramid scheme by the FTC today:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/ftc-vemma-shut-running-pyramid-scheme-33333526

quote:

The FTC says Vemma provided little help on how to sell its products and instead rewarded them for recruiting more people.

I never thought I'd see the day.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm finally reading that star wars thread and, goddamn. http://www.theonion.com/article/30-year-old-factors-in-birthday-money-32715 was linked in there and made me laugh in a sea of sadness. I'm astounded by how such a situation could arise, and I cannot at all see inside the mind of the OP.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
That's the thing...with Kyteguy and Tuyop I could at least take myself down their bad decision tree - while they were not the most logical decisions, I at least understood the motives. I guess the difference is crippling mental illness! :confuoot:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

marchantia posted:

That's the thing...with Kyteguy and Tuyop I could at least take myself down their bad decision tree - while they were not the most logical decisions, I at least understood the motives. I guess the difference is crippling mental illness! :confuoot:

That is the actual difference. Bad decisions are bad decisions and you expect that some will be made. The Blue Story thread revolves around her delusions that how they live is fine and that she just needs some financial help. Except that her delusions won't let her listen to any advice at all. At least she is aware there is a problem even though she doesn't realise how bad it is.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I have it on p good authority that Blue Story's thread was a joke.

5% real, 5% call-for-help, 90% "LOL I TROLL U BY SLIGHTLY EXAGGERATING THE EXTENT OF MY SQUALOR"

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

5% real, 5% call-for-help, 90% "LOL I TROLL U BY SLIGHTLY EXAGGERATING THE EXTENT OF MY SQUALOR"

I have it on good authority (mine) that I see this claim all the time on these forums and there is almost never any evidence of it being a joke. Who would spend weeks or months on perpetuating a lie like that? It's a waste of loving time. I doubt even FYAD'ers would do it. If goons were predominantly in their college years still, maybe. Just maybe. But still, probably not. People have better poo poo to do.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
There was someone in GBS who pretended to be mentally handicapped just so they could mess with the water delivery guy. It's entirely possible.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

*lol trolls forum*
*poops in sock while playing wow*
*adds to cum jar to save for a GBS thread in the future*
*doesn't realise having 30 dead cats in the fridge isn't a healthy thing to do*

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Aren't you the troll who posted that fake photo, saying it's the one the OP sent you via PM?

Yeah sorry but you don't have much credibility left.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

With the amount of people binge reading that thread right now, your attempts to continue trolling are weak at best. You did a good job with the fake photos. Stop while you're ahead.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm not allowed to post in it anymore. Blue Story counter-trolled me and convinced two mods that we're the same person.

She was warned that her alt account GGGC would be banned if she used it again in the thread.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Aren't you the troll who posted that fake photo, saying it's the one the OP sent you via PM?

Yeah sorry but you don't have much credibility left.

defectivemonkey fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 27, 2015

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm not allowed to post in it anymore. Blue Story counter-trolled me and convinced two mods that we're the same person.

She was warned that her alt account GGGC would be banned if she used it again in the thread.

Admins can check if two users are the same or not, permabans would be worthless otherwise

Edit: haha didn't realise, the "convincing" would "work" because they -are- the same person, i m dum

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

???

Have I been hoodwinked?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

BraveUlysses posted:

There was someone in GBS who pretended to be mentally handicapped just so they could mess with the water delivery guy. It's entirely possible.

You should provide a link if it's not that BlueStory thing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

lol the only thing worse than random derails about houses/suburbs/horses/boats/etc is derails about who is trolling whom in some other thread, even if its a good other thread

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

The notorious troll GoGoGadgetChris :argh:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't see the problem; goons will always push the Ramen & shoebox apartment lifestyle way too hard imho.
OP this is exactly why a Roth IRA is great for short term savings. You can put pretax money in it, hopefully get an employer match, and it can all be withdrawn without penalty as long as you're under 55.
Real world example: When I went car shopping earlier this year, I was able to afford a 2015 Focus (thought I was going to have to settle for a 2010) by dipping into the ol' Roth Kitty for a few thou.

:hfive:

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

This is a thing to PM me about and I probably would have told you yesterday when I PMed you if it was true but that's not a real thing. So carry on posting as long as it's more substantial than "OMG I THINK THIS IS FAKE" because that is boring and if you have actual evidence you should send it to me instead of :supaburn:ing.

In thread content news: is it Bad With Money to pay $180 for warranty transferability on a new A/C and furnace? I will very likely move within the warranty period.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I've always wondered what proportion of credit card users pay the minimum and pay off in full.
http://www.interest.co.nz/personal-finance/77285/paul-goldsmith-says-banks-are-capable-setting-their-own-competitive-credit

quote:

Goldsmith repeats a New Zealand Bankers’ Association’s line, that only between 1% and 3% of New Zealand credit card customers make the minimum repayment each month.

He also pointed out half of credit card customers pay off their balances in full during the interest-free period, compared to about a third in the US and Australia.

Only 1/3 of US and Australian credit card customers are paying in full each month.

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

Devian666 posted:

I've always wondered what proportion of credit card users pay the minimum and pay off in full.
http://www.interest.co.nz/personal-finance/77285/paul-goldsmith-says-banks-are-capable-setting-their-own-competitive-credit

Only 1/3 of US and Australian credit card customers are paying in full each month.

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/the-state-of-american-credit-card-debt-in-2015/

So 1/3rd seem inaccurate for America. Also the amount of Americans with any revolving debt at all went down from 44% in 2009 to 34% in 2014. However those with debt are trending towards more debt. Basically the majority of Americans have become better with finances, but the minority with revolving debt have gone from bad to worse it looks like.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I was only able to read through the article briefly.

One of my coworkers just took out an $80,000 home equity loan to grass his 2/3rd acre backyard, after he spent $7,000 on it and realized he didn't have near enough to finish. He says he doesn't plan on spending all $80,000 of it, but I foresee a new expensive toy or two in the future with that money.

WobblySausage fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 27, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
53% only paying minimum where they carry a balance. That's crippling and terrible. I'm wondering what proportion are broke graduates and what percentage are out of control consumers.

The figure of 57% paying in full each month is on par with New Zealand, not great but not a complete disaster.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Wickerman posted:

You should provide a link if it's not that BlueStory thing.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1363

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

wow is that where mr green water came from?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Hello Bad With Money thread. I am starting a budget in earnest for the first time. Using Mint. My bank accounts and credit card are linked. I have a dumb question.

I put most purchases on my credit card for the grace period and security (had an issue with a debit card getting skimmed a few months back which was a pain in the rear end to deal with) and to track spending. I pay it off in full at the end of the month.

I'm confused about how to budget for paying my credit card bill. Each purchase is already part of my budget - for example, gas and my cellphone bill. If I add a category for paying the balance every month, it looks like I'm spending twice as much?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Hello Bad With Money thread. I am starting a budget in earnest for the first time. Using Mint. My bank accounts and credit card are linked. I have a dumb question.

I put most purchases on my credit card for the grace period and security (had an issue with a debit card getting skimmed a few months back which was a pain in the rear end to deal with) and to track spending. I pay it off in full at the end of the month.

I'm confused about how to budget for paying my credit card bill. Each purchase is already part of my budget - for example, gas and my cellphone bill. If I add a category for paying the balance every month, it looks like I'm spending twice as much?

If you are disciplined enough that you never miss a grace period payment, just don't budget that. Treat it as if you spend the money when you charge it to your card. It's trickier if there is some contingency where you might not be able cover purchases, in that case you can budget payments towards interest only I guess? I would use an emergency fund rather than being in that situation.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Every purchase should be logged as an expense under the appropriate category. Paying off the balance should be represented by a transfer of funds from one place (probably your bank) to another (in this case, the card). You should not be expressing it as spending twice.

You don't need to budget for your credit card payments unless you're paying off previously held debt.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
I don't use the Budgeting part of Mint, but the transactions for credit card payments should be categorized as Transfer, and then Mint won't include them in spending totals.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
And the final bit of the saga with the BWM teacher. We told him that we were releasing him from his contract as of the end of September and he sends this response:

quote:

Hey (Contact Person),

Listen. I've had a couple of experiences this week that have led me to the conclusion that it's best for me to just stop this month. It's better for me, better for (your company) and better for the students.

First, I'm exhausted. I'm up all night following the markets and just want to sleep during the day. That's it.

Second, I feel like I have to focus on my money even more than before. I was told recently that several positions I placed "did not go through" because of technical issues due to high volume of trades and that the exchanges and my online brokerage are not responsible. Basically, they're trying to deny me what is rightfully mine. I'm calling pure winners now and they don't want the common man to win. They want us to toil at wage slavery while they live off the fat of the land. They have made this world so corrupt and so degenerate that a regular person is forced to go to whatever lengths to put food on the table because jobs pay miserably. Teachers starve while glorified books live in mansions. What kind of world is that?

Now I feel persecuted and destabilized in terms of watching the markets. I'm changing brokerages and concentrating on making sure each and every trade goes through so that this never happens ago. I hate them. Hate them for the world that they have created and hate them for what they are trying to do to me now. The

Finally, I just don't relate to many of my students anymore . What I want to talk about and what interests me is of none to them. On Wednesday, I taught a (client in China) and the students were miserable. The Shanghai Index is down even worse than it was a few weeks ago. I warned them then to get out of the market, that it was going down. On Wednesday I kind of felt like their silence was like they were blaming me for what happened. It's not my fault to they didn't listen. I was just trying to help and was never pushy about it.

Finally, I'm just not doing (your company) proud. I would like to walk away with some sense of

Anyway, that's it. I'm done. No more of this. We talked about the end of August and it's here. My workload is so light that you can easily reschedule the classes and find someone to replace me. The money is so small it's just not worth it to. I can make that in a half hour on a good day dealing with the scum on Wall and Broad.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 28, 2015

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Gold and a Pager posted:

And the final bit of the saga with the BWM teacher. We told him that we were releasing him from his contract as of the end of September and he sends this response:

What an rear end in a top hat. You should reach out to be a job reference for him.

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

I sound hot when I swear my f*cking head off.

Gold and a Pager posted:

So wait, does he teach something to do with the markets or was he just handing out investing advice in class?

Also

quote:

Finally, I'm just not doing (your company) proud. I would like to walk away with some sense of

Was that a error of the copy paste or did it actually read like that in his email? I'm dying to know what he wants to walk away with a sense of. Although I guess he couldn't think of anything and wanted to come back to it later and then forgot. Amazing.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Nothing specific to markets, I think he was just handing out investing advice in class. As for the copy/paste, it actually read like that in the e-mail.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

His train of thought is so beautiful, much better and easier to follow than when Bitcoiners talk about the markets. Fight the good fight!

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Lots of BWM today from both HSBC and their irate customers not having any kind of emergency fund in case they don't get paid the day before a 3 day weekend http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34084767

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Doccykins posted:

Lots of BWM today from both HSBC and their irate customers not having any kind of emergency fund in case they don't get paid the day before a 3 day weekend http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34084767

Not surprised. More Canadian banking stories- whenever there's a long holiday that delays a Friday payday, the phones ring off the hook with spastic customers frantically screaming, "BUT WHERE'S MY MONEY? I NEED IT ASAP" There's also people who call the day after they deposit a cheque and basically beg for it to clear because their bills are otherwise hosed.

A lot of Canadians live paycheque to paycheque- even the people with high incomes. They basically go from paycheque deposit to zero balance/overdrawn in a constant, bi-weekly cycle. Meanwhile, they have Starbucks every day and eat at upscale restaurants at least twice a week. It's bonkers.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'd be mad too if I were planning to make a big purchase. HSBC is really good at accepting money from drug cartels, not so good about depositing funds into accounts in a timely manner, it seems.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Doccykins posted:

Well personally, I have a checking account that's bills only, generally doesn't have too much of a cushion, that everything autowithdraws from. I keep an eye on it, but if I were say, going on holiday and I had automatic payments get declined. They would certainly have no problem charging me a metric asston of fees were it my fault, why shouldn't they pay for loving up?

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

Gold and a Pager posted:

homie was leveraged 4X

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Gold and a Pager posted:

Such a terrible response from the guy. Basically you don't burn your bridges or give up your day job unless you are reasonably secure. It sounds like he's a few bad trades away from eating garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Devian666 posted:

Such a terrible response from the guy. Basically you don't burn your bridges or give up your day job unless you are reasonably secure. It sounds like he's a few bad trades away from eating garbage.

Or a lost job away from losing his visa...

• Locked thread