Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Inspector Hound posted:

On the website you can see what movies have subtitles on what language by putting your mouse over "browse" and clicking Captions and Subtitles or something like that, it brings up a moderately easy to navigate page that lets you arrange movies by desired subtitle language (but nothing else, Merry Christmas non English speakers).

The dirty truth is that Netflix gives a bag of money to the distributor, the distributor may or may not ask what version of the movie or show Netflix wants (including subtitles, that scene you swear you remember but isn't in Netflix's copy, and rarely even letterbox vs pan and scan) and even if they do Netflix usually just says "eh whatever you got" unless people make a huge stink. This is why the anime was switching crazily between all dubs and all subs a while back. It's getting a little better, they claim all their content has at least English subtitles, but I got calls from Spanish speakers, French, Arabic, even a bunch of requests for Tamil audio and subtitles, and I don't see that happening until someone in the chain goes "oh, its the internet. Shouldn't we have all languages available for at least subtitles?"

You'll also notice there's no Spanish language customer service number. For the longest time, if you didn't speak English Netflix just wouldn't help you, even if the agent you got spoke Spanish (or whatever language). We couldn't even transfer to the call center in Mexico. Before I left, we finally got a number that we could give to people, in English. But we couldn't transfer them and it wasn't 24/7.

Basically I wouldn't hold out for those Tamil subtitles.
I was fired from Netfucks I think 3yrs ago today. That was a good day! It was a horrid place to work. Talk about a corporate overlord who hates you..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I got an email today asking if a certain salary(higher than current pay, minus the potential bonus) would be acceptable. Not an offer, but for the first time in months I'm not hoping to get hit by a bus on the way to work. Please be legit. I can't handle getting yelled at because people can't manage their data usage or broke their phone for much longer.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Communication between agents and management is the reason most call centers are awful.

Example. Our software we use for customer accounts. Back in March they announced a new features, a call wrapup dialog that would pop when exiting an account so we can document the call. We have been doing a form of this for years but manually. The problem is some agents "forget" so they never really get the data they want. Making this a metric they track etc has never really improved the situation, so they decided to institute an automated system. Sounds reasonable, but it doesn't work.

Issue 1. Sometimes you open an account that you aren't really working with, put in an address, it pops 3 matches, 2 are old closed accounts, 1 is the one your looking for. So you might open 3 accounts to find the one you want.

They "fixed" this issue by making the wrap screen only pop if something is changed on the account.

Issue 2. I don't change things on accounts regularly. We're an ISP, we do support. Rebooting a router or changing an email password doesn't require an account change.

So I mentioned this stuff a month before it went live, back in March. Come April, low and behold all the problems I mentioned have come true. After being overwhelmed by confused agents, the software was reverted for more development. 4 months pass. It is back, with nothing fixed. We got an email that tells to "just go change something then change it back to make the wrap screen pop up." This place is so stupid.

There are a few practical fixes imo, 1. have it pop all the time and just add a "wrong account" button that agents can use to exit an account if they pull it up in error. 2. add a manual wrapup button to the interface to force the screen if it doesn't automatically come up.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

krampster2 posted:

Have worked 2 days now in my new job, today I got swore at for the first time, yay! Some gent called me a gently caress wit which I don't think is very nice or accurate but that's okay. Also had to collect debt from a Vietnam vet and deal with a mother crying about her dead daughter I was trying to contact :(

I have to collect from a blind woman. A week before I called her she had a stroke. Couldn't deal well. Had her make get her sister an authorized user. I called her sister did my little talk but gave the sister the number to call to discharge the loan via disability.

I followed up today. She had another stroke and is in the hospital again. Sister couldn't remember the social so I couldn't tell her anything to help. Told her to find the social so "we can find a solution"

First call with the sister she mentioned her son takes care of her stuff mainly. Gonna see if we can't make him authorized to start the discharge steps

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I once had a veryold and frail sounding woman ask for an account cancellation. I argued with her a bit because thats what we have to do (she had a pending balance, a contract, the works). Eventually she broke down in tears and told me she had cancer and had a few weeks to live. I never felt grosser. God I hated working there...

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012
Should I take a job back on the phones? I'm currently an office/finance admin at an ISP. I was promoted here from Tech Support. However, Business Tech Support is hiring. I was told to consider it. I'll keep my same Mon - Fri schedule with holidays off, but I'll be taking calls again.

However, it's considered to be a stepping stone to network operations, which is where I want to be. I'm just not sure if I can deal with talking to customers again. My current role has no upwards mobility.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

GiveUpNed posted:

Should I take a job back on the phones? I'm currently an office/finance admin at an ISP. I was promoted here from Tech Support. However, Business Tech Support is hiring. I was told to consider it. I'll keep my same Mon - Fri schedule with holidays off, but I'll be taking calls again.

However, it's considered to be a stepping stone to network operations, which is where I want to be. I'm just not sure if I can deal with talking to customers again. My current role has no upwards mobility.

Why don't you look at another company? No need to wait for your current place to throw you scraps.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Why don't you look at another company? No need to wait for your current place to throw you scraps.

Because there isn't anything better atm. I get 3-4 weeks of paid vacation, full medical/benefits, a pension, and other goodies. To be looking for something else, I need to have more work experience and certs.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

GiveUpNed posted:

Because there isn't anything better atm. I get 3-4 weeks of paid vacation, full medical/benefits, a pension, and other goodies. To be looking for something else, I need to have more work experience and certs.

To be getting something else maybe you do but to be looking you don't need anything.

Business might be less miserable than consumer but if I were you I wouldn't want to go back to the phones.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

To be getting something else maybe you do but to be looking you don't need anything.

Business might be less miserable than consumer but if I were you I wouldn't want to go back to the phones.

Should I go to dispatch? You only call customers if the tech missed the appointment, or if we have to rebook. The downside is you're on a 8 week schedule rotation including public holidays and weekends.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

GiveUpNed posted:

Should I go to dispatch? You only call customers if the tech missed the appointment, or if we have to rebook. The downside is you're on a 8 week schedule rotation including public holidays and weekends.

So you'd be in a position where every customer you call is going to be pissed off, and you'd work weekends and holidays. Sounds like poo poo.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

jassi007 posted:

So you'd be in a position where every customer you call is going to be pissed off, and you'd work weekends and holidays. Sounds like poo poo.

My decision is honestly financial. I'll get a 5K raise by taking either Dispatch or Business Tech Support. Right now I just audit sales processes/equipment financing/contracts. It sounds fancy, but I feel I'm not properly compensated for my responsibility level. At least with Business Tech Support I'll keep my current schedule.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

GiveUpNed posted:

My decision is honestly financial. I'll get a 5K raise by taking either Dispatch or Business Tech Support. Right now I just audit sales processes/equipment financing/contracts. It sounds fancy, but I feel I'm not properly compensated for my responsibility level. At least with Business Tech Support I'll keep my current schedule.

I get it, but I guess if you are gung ho about getting back on the phones to get a raise inbound commercial support sounds better.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

jassi007 posted:

I get it, but I guess if you are gung ho about getting back on the phones to get a raise inbound commercial support sounds better.

I'm not gung ho about going back on the phones - I hate talking to customers. However, money talks. A 5K raise is significant enough for me to seriously consider it.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
$5K is ~$2.40 extra per hour before taxes so consider whether that's worth hating your job.

You can always apply elsewhere on the clock at your current position.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

cumshitter posted:

$5K is ~$2.40 extra per hour before taxes so consider whether that's worth hating your job.

You can always apply elsewhere on the clock at your current position.

The issue is my upwards mobility in my current position is nil. Commerical tech support is respected in my company. The next step from Biz TSR is commercial tech or Network Operations/Analyst.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

GiveUpNed posted:

The issue is my upwards mobility in my current position is nil. Commerical tech support is respected in my company. The next step from Biz TSR is commercial tech or Network Operations/Analyst.

How long do you anticipate being stuck in a position you don't like until you can get promoted? Is $2.40 an hour going to be worth X years of working in a position you do not like?

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

jassi007 posted:

How long do you anticipate being stuck in a position you don't like until you can get promoted? Is $2.40 an hour going to be worth X years of working in a position you do not like?

Probably 1-2 years before the position I want becomes available.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

GiveUpNed posted:

Probably 1-2 years before the position I want becomes available.

I know you're convinced you're underqualified for the jobs you want and everything but I honestly think getting out there and trying to apply for some jobs at other places is a better plan than two years of call center work when you have a non-call center job that pays only a little less. I couldn't make it one year working at a call center, personally.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

I know you're convinced you're underqualified for the jobs you want and everything but I honestly think getting out there and trying to apply for some jobs at other places is a better plan than two years of call center work when you have a non-call center job that pays only a little less. I couldn't make it one year working at a call center, personally.

The job market is really bad in my Canadian city. My admin department has an opening and we received 150+ applicants for one position.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

GiveUpNed posted:

The job market is really bad in my Canadian city. My admin department has an opening and we received 150+ applicants for one position.

I'm going to hazard a guess that you work in the Call Centre I used to and unless things have changed Business Support was pretty much a dead end due to the fact that it's still an emerging part of that company and nothing you do there will get noticed. Everyone I've known that has made it to Network Ops has gone to the RAC first(if I'm right you'll know what this is)..

EDIT: Actually I talked to you earlier in this thread so all of this applicable.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

I'm going to hazard a guess that you work in the Call Centre I used to and unless things have changed Business Support was pretty much a dead end due to the fact that it's still an emerging part of that company and nothing you do there will get noticed. Everyone I've known that has made it to Network Ops has gone to the RAC first(if I'm right you'll know what this is).

The exact same one. I'm an Admin in TechOps, not the Call Center, even though we audit some sales processes. RAC/business installer is where I want to go. My buddy told me RAC has hired from Business TSR.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

GiveUpNed posted:

Yeah, every job gets a gazillion applicants but most of them are total trash. What have you got to lose?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

GiveUpNed posted:

The exact same one. I'm an Admin in TechOps, not the Call Center, even though we audit some sales processes. RAC/business installer is where I want to go. My buddy told me RAC has hired from Business TSR.

They might have in the past, I can't think of anyone there who has done it recently. They also just added a Business Tier 2 person/department so that might be the first place they hire from.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Just had mandatory regulatory compliance training. I went in hoping to get specific answers about compliance issues I face every day, such as how our non discrimination policy interacts with our obligation to verify customer identity. Instead we played Game of Thrones themed Jeopardy for two hours, with the questions being things like "What are the four things that need to be disclosed when someone opens an account?" It made we want to go back to the phones, which is saying a lot.

TLove
Dec 24, 2009
This are based on true calls I've had working for an outsourced company for CenturyLink. I was tech support. Thank god I'm out if it now.

"My mozorella foxfire is having issues. When I click on the YouTube it brings me to it, but for some reason it doesn't bring me what I want. I was told to try chromium however I don't have that on my computer. I miss the big E. "

"Der something Goin on wit the wifi box I swear it we had a big lightning storm and it took out the fridge and I lost all my pizza rolls. The cat died, and dad told me to get some from the store but I said nope cuz I lost my license last year"

"So one of your dumbass techs was supposed to be here around 4 and I have no idea why the hell he showed up early. He said my appointment was from 12-2 on the hanger he left on my door but I told my 15 year old son to set the appointment and he's loving perfect and has never hosed up in his life like me"

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite part of this job is the angry swearing people. Mind you I'm doing out bound collection calls. And one of my job duties is to accurately document all calls.

It gives me a little bit of a juvenile giggle when I get to type in "borrower advised me to 'shove your dick in your rear end and spin on it.' I thanked borrower for his generous assessment of my genitals but informed him such action would not resolve the monthly payment we need."

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Volume posted:

My favorite part of this job is the angry swearing people. Mind you I'm doing out bound collection calls. And one of my job duties is to accurately document all calls.

It gives me a little bit of a juvenile giggle when I get to type in "borrower advised me to 'shove your dick in your rear end and spin on it.' I thanked borrower for his generous assessment of my genitals but informed him such action would not resolve the monthly payment we need."

As long as you're not one of those cocksuckers who go, completely unprompted (after being told it was a bad time and I didn't have the money), to "borrow it from your mom".

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gothmog1065 posted:

As long as you're not one of those cocksuckers who go, completely unprompted (after being told it was a bad time and I didn't have the money), to "borrow it from your mom".

Sorry man but it's part of the job. If it makes you feel better I always feel scummy when I do it

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I have no morals and love talking to angry people - can I get a collections call center job on the side or something? Any remote options?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I have no morals and love talking to angry people - can I get a collections call center job on the side or something? Any remote options?

I'd be living the off hours dream if I could remote outbound dial people for collections.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
For every fun collections call where someone is a wrong idiot who is trying to get away without paying you will get one call where the person's life is utterly hosed and ruined and they're trying to pay their debts but have no loving chance whatsoever. If you can cope with the emotional whiplash of going from someone who borrowed money for a car that they totaled while high to someone who's fiance left them at the altar and disappeared off the face of the earth leaving them with a joint loan agreement that they can't possibly service, collections may be for you!

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Volume posted:

Sorry man but it's part of the job. If it makes you feel better I always feel scummy when I do it
I do not in fact accept your apology

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Gothmog1065 posted:

Just tell them you wont pay. Not that you cant, but that you wont.

"Can you borrow it from your family?"
"Oh, no I don't need to. I have enough to cover it. I just wont."

"...ok"

This always brightens up their day. So do this all the time.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I used to spend several hours a week making collections calls at a sub-prime vehicle finance office. This was in house, so I was trying to get people to pay us before we initiated repo and sent them to collections. I really didn't care (I hated that company) and was willing to let anything slide so long as they committed to some kind of payment plan that would get them current.

Most our clients were just irresponsible, rather than unforunate. But it still sucked when grown adults you'd been trying to reach for weeks finally called you, sobbing hysterically, because the repo truck was in front of their home and minutes away from taking the vehicle back. It's not like it should have been a surprise to them, but it definitely wasn't fun hearing them at another low point in their lives.

Although I did get a perverse joy from loving with a couple guys. One had never made a single payment since he drove the vehicle off the lot and would only return calls to demand that I stop calling the references he listed, which were his mother and a previous employer. The other was a complete retard who would have his son call in and say stuff like, "Oh yeah, my dad got your message and says he's gonna call you real soon!" as if that was going to somehow make us call off the repo guys. Seriously didn't get the reasoning behind that, it would have been better for him to just not call at all.

It's not like either guy deserved a lot of sympathy, but looking back I'm not proud of the fact that I was basically harassing people on behalf of a predatory company that I didn't think deserved to exist in the first place.

Oddly enough I once had a guy call me from rehab several months after I ceased making attempts to contact him. He apologized for not making payments and tried to give us the location of the vehicle as best he could remember. We never got ti back, but I hope that dude is doing better.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

For every fun collections call where someone is a wrong idiot who is trying to get away without paying you will get one call where the person's life is utterly hosed and ruined and they're trying to pay their debts but have no loving chance whatsoever. If you can cope with the emotional whiplash of going from someone who borrowed money for a car that they totaled while high to someone who's fiance left them at the altar and disappeared off the face of the earth leaving them with a joint loan agreement that they can't possibly service, collections may be for you!

The guys in the latter group should probably just declare bankruptcy.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Wizard of Smart posted:

Just tell them you wont pay. Not that you cant, but that you wont.

"Can you borrow it from your family?"
"Oh, no I don't need to. I have enough to cover it. I just wont."

"...ok"

This always brightens up their day. So do this all the time.

This was years ago, so I don't have this issue anymore (no more collections woo!). I just remember how pissed off I got when that happened. It ended up in a screaming match, me hanging up on him, him calling me back, he hanging up on me, and me calling him back just to tell him to go gently caress himself and hang up again.

... I got a lot of pent up anger out that day.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Were you the collector?

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Re: Collections people - when I changed positions about 8 years ago I inherited the mobile number of the person who left. I keep getting collections calls for her. Do you assume I'm lying when I say this is a business number and she hasn't worked here for X years? It has died down from once a week to about once a month but still, I've been telling you for 8 years that she isn't here and I have no idea where she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I can't speak for every collections but in my general experience is more or less your rep changes every month. That rep needs to hit his quota so when he can't get a hold of the borrower, he's seeing that number as possibly her number. So she's gonna give it a ring and see if maybe this time she's around.

Next time they call tell them "Put me on your do not call list" if they're not shady, that should work.