Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I feel like a lot of people only remember the first 1/4th to 1/2 of any given FF game.

I generally agree for really any given game, but FF8 is especially grating because it is very aggressive from the outset about nothing about its planet making sense. "Quick, lets defend a nearby country from invaders who want to repair the country they are invading's satellite communications tower that has sat there for 30 years by discussing these plans on the internet. 2 hours later they will broadcast from another unrelated building entirely and never mention said lack of global communication again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
There's a lot of awesome poo poo in VIII, I feel like "put all these awesome ideas in a blender" is a good way to describe how it unfolds. But as a result, it never comes together in a satisfactory or meaningful way. If they had been able to lay things out properly in a way that actually made sense and created a narrative that was more than "shy boy gradually falls for quirky girl with daddy issues, oh and also a bad future lady is trying to destroy the world(?)" it might have been more widely appreciated.

It probably wasn't possible within the development space of Squaresoft at the time, but if they had approached the discs in an episodic style, where each focused on a particular subject which naturally built up the player's understanding and paved the way for the next, I think it would have been much better overall. Disc 1 focuses on Squall becoming a SeeD and being dispatched on missions until turmoil within the Garden forces him to choose sides and fight NORG, Disc 2 is about learning the "true purpose" of SeeD and liberating Galbadia from Edea, Disc 3 is about discovering Esthar and trying (and failing) to prevent the return of Adel, and Disc 4 would (ideally) be about fighting Ultimecia and Hyne, who you could have actually hinted at throughout the story and made a legitimate threat; as it's established that the Sorceresses were created from a part of Hyne and Ultimecia is essentially mashing them all into herself to achieve ultimate power, it follows that when she loses control of that power Hyne would reappear as the "real" final boss instead of whatever her Griever junction / fusion was supposed to be.

I mean yeah VIII has a lot more problems than just its story structure but I feel like ordering the plot in a way that flows more naturally would be a good first start to making it all make sense and have a point. The step after that would be to give more characters focus and motivations, instead of relegating them all to the sidelines.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

Squall's completely random and never really touched on again meltdown featuring "DON'T TALK ABOUT ME LIKE THAT WHEN I DIE! I'M ALIVE" is solid gold and I don't care if you think otherwise.

His party members are either really good friends who don't wanna bring it up around him, or they just barely acknowledge his existence.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The White Dragon posted:

His party members are either really good friends who don't wanna bring it up around him, or they just barely acknowledge his existence.

Or don't even know what he was talking about because 99% of that meltdown was in his head nad he just shouted out the last thing. What are they supposed to think?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

i don't care what the hosed up rapist would have thought about FF games

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

CeallaSo posted:

There's a lot of awesome poo poo in VIII, I feel like "put all these awesome ideas in a blender" is a good way to describe how it unfolds. But as a result, it never comes together in a satisfactory or meaningful way. If they had been able to lay things out properly in a way that actually made sense and created a narrative that was more than "shy boy gradually falls for quirky girl with daddy issues, oh and also a bad future lady is trying to destroy the world(?)" it might have been more widely appreciated.

It probably wasn't possible within the development space of Squaresoft at the time, but if they had approached the discs in an episodic style, where each focused on a particular subject which naturally built up the player's understanding and paved the way for the next, I think it would have been much better overall. Disc 1 focuses on Squall becoming a SeeD and being dispatched on missions until turmoil within the Garden forces him to choose sides and fight NORG, Disc 2 is about learning the "true purpose" of SeeD and liberating Galbadia from Edea, Disc 3 is about discovering Esthar and trying (and failing) to prevent the return of Adel, and Disc 4 would (ideally) be about fighting Ultimecia and Hyne, who you could have actually hinted at throughout the story and made a legitimate threat; as it's established that the Sorceresses were created from a part of Hyne and Ultimecia is essentially mashing them all into herself to achieve ultimate power, it follows that when she loses control of that power Hyne would reappear as the "real" final boss instead of whatever her Griever junction / fusion was supposed to be.

I mean yeah VIII has a lot more problems than just its story structure but I feel like ordering the plot in a way that flows more naturally would be a good first start to making it all make sense and have a point. The step after that would be to give more characters focus and motivations, instead of relegating them all to the sidelines.

That's a lot of words for "I need to go play FF6"

Gotta get your retro RPG credentials in check, son

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That's a lot of words for "I need to go play FF6"

Gotta get your retro RPG credentials in check, son

See my previous post about VI, which was an emphatic "eh." VI starts great and doesn't really fall below "good" until you reach the World of Ruin, where it all falls apart. Though you are correct, it is definitely a more structured story than VIII's while managing to make the better part of its cast interesting and endearing in spite of having more than twice as many to focus on.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
just play saga frontier 2 if you want good characters

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

CeallaSo posted:

See my previous post about VI, which was an emphatic "eh." VI starts great and doesn't really fall below "good" until you reach the World of Ruin, where it all falls apart. Though you are correct, it is definitely a more structured story than VIII's while managing to make the better part of its cast interesting and endearing in spite of having more than twice as many to focus on.

Your previous post is exactly why I said that.

corn in the bible posted:

Jesus christ what

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

See, the problem then is that you just got roped into playing a SaGa game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Jesus christ what
"Lord Gustave, escape while you can! I'll hold them off here!"
"G, gimme a sec. Yo Narciss my nigga c'mere. Hey, who the gently caress is this?"
"I, uh"
"Guys, it's Johann. Super assassin? You recruited me in the super secret chapter you may or may not have unlocked? Ring any bells?"
"... No"
":("

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

This guy gets it.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Your previous post is exactly why I said that.

I've played and beaten VI multiple times, though. I like it, I just feel that the mediocre endgame hurts it a lot. Also I don't really understand what my post about FFVIII had to do with playing VI, since what I described isn't really like VI at all.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The White Dragon posted:

"Lord Gustave, escape while you can! I'll hold them off here!"
"G, gimme a sec. Yo Narciss my nigga c'mere. Hey, who the gently caress is this?"
"I, uh"
"Guys, it's Johann. Super assassin? You recruited me in the super secret chapter you may or may not have unlocked? Ring any bells?"
"... No"
":("

...Based on this paraphrasing alone I am now intrigued to play this game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

an august 2015 regdate :eyepop:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I'm extremely late to discovering cool things on the internet forgive me. :smith:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

its cool im glad new people are still occasionally joining this dead forum

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's not nearly as fun as that, the game text just assumes you've seen every scenario in the correct order. That's definitely how the player feels, though.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I do like how Adel was wizard Hitler of futuretopia, but he went out unceremoniously after a single battle.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Gustave is great and cool

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Level Slide posted:

I do like how Adel was wizard Hitler of futuretopia, but he went out unceremoniously after a single battle.

Adel was a woman. All sorceresses are women.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

It's been a while, but I could have sworn Adel was walking around shirtless during Laguna's flashback.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Adel does what she wants and if she has to gently caress up time to do so, well that's just a price to pay.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CeallaSo posted:

Adel was a woman. All sorceresses are women.

Wow nice :biotruths: shitlord.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

This post is so bad I'd rather hear what the rapist thinks about FF8.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Level Slide posted:

It's been a while, but I could have sworn Adel was walking around shirtless during Laguna's flashback.

She's an incredibly buff woman with no breasts. Characters refer to her with feminine pronouns several times, and it's established in the lore that only women can become sorceresses.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Well I'll give you that. The thing is she died unceremoniously after all that build up. Granted I kinda forgot what happened between Adel dying and Ultemicia castle popping up.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
FF8 just stunk to high hell of over-design and too many cooks in the kitchen with overly-ambitious direction. The original concept was that Laguna was an old-school RPG hero with a positive outlook and Squall was a "new type of hero," a young mercenary learning the ropes which was odd since the previous game also starred a mercenary. You were supposed to play the stories alternately in a way similar to Front Mission 4, only each story would reflect the same themes in different ways.

Somewhere along the way, the concept got sort of lost and garbled with other directives and ideas like love being pushed as the "actual main theme" and the countless disconnected set pieces. The alternating stories ended up not being connected heavily the way they were envisioned. A lot of threads look like they were just stomped on or forced to connect disparate parts of the story like the orphanage and the walking plot device that was Laguna's step-daughter. It feels like a definite opportunity lost.

Of course, the gameplay was broken to hell.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

FF8 is a girl's manga.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A bad one.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Game had a great soundtrack though, and it gave us Triple Triad, so its existence is at least somewhat justified. That is, if you're not too bitter about the way it crippled Xenogears.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Xenogears crippled itself.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I guess in my head you are playing VIII through Squall, an introverted autist who gives no fucks about anyone but himself and his mission. The other characters could have backstories but gently caress 'em. Squall has no interest in getting to know any of them as when some sorceress hurls an icy blade at one of them instead he can get on with the task at hand without getting all emotional. Selphie in particular, Shes a gargling fuckwit. No raging autist speaks her language.

It's a coming of age story where some indoctrinated teenage soldier slowly learns he cannot do it alone, and through him so does the player. I don't really see the love theme, more just letting people in and getting a bit of snatch at the end of it all is just a part of that.

Alone, Squall's character development is as rich as anything I've seen in a game since. You all do have a point though, it is only Squall. The rest of the characters don't really stand up and for the most part their existence is pretty arbitrary beyond giving the player a feeling of children sent off to war. Honestly I put a lot of the poor character development down to translation, but then I don't have a lot of time for Japanese comic culture so maybe I just gave the shallowness of it all too much benefit of the doubt. Both VII and IX have a tendency to spout anime gibbrish at points as well, IX just has the humor to give it substance and VII has the plot to end all plots.

I did enjoy the game though. I've gone back to it just as much as VII or IX.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
What's interesting about VIII is that it was their attempt at a completely literal, accurate translation. When VII was being localized it was pretty much 3 guys total, with 1 guy doing the bulk of the work. When VII exploded, and Squeenix suddenly realized the West wanted JRPGs, they brought way more people into the localization team to make sure FF8 didn't have any "This guy are sick" goofs happening this time.

The result was more accurate to the original Japanese script... which apparently wasn't very good to start with.

VIII had good graphics and good gameplay for the time, but the story... what a mess

and then IX rolled around and the localizers had found their 'groove', balancing faithful translations with some stuff unique to the english version that made dialogue sound more natural.

they even wove accents into the writing where applicable. it was good stuff

Excels fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 27, 2015

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
VIII was the first FF game I ever played (I rented it after hearing friends rave about VII), so I've always had a bit of a soft spot for it even if it's become progressively obvious as I've gotten older that it's an extremely flawed game. I like the settings, the art is wonderful, and it might still be my favourite soundtrack of the series. I do think that the gameplay was half-baked at best and that the characters and story completely collapse after a point. The "basketball court reveal" and the orphanage sub-plot have always seemed particularly contrived to me, and it just spirals onwards from there. It also seems quite crucial to stick Rinoa with Squall when the party splits up in Disc 2, as the relationship gets a small amount of much-needed "development" during that time; without it, it just seems like Squall finds her annoying until, one day, he's suddenly being pleaded with by the others to save her (and only her) during a ferocious battle, followed by him walking half the world with her on his back in order to bring her out of a coma. Squall probably gets some sort of character progression (though it probably comes too late; note how when Rinoa finally recovers in space, Squall almost reacts like he preferred her to be comatose... which is a little bit unsettling), but Rinoa overall isn't strong enough to sustain what's supposed to be the driving love story.

A minor aside, I also don't like how most of the sidequests were really cryptic. Lake ghosts and stone faces, anyone? Even Triple Triad got hit pretty hard if you cared about collecting certain cards/spreading certain rules.

Barudak posted:

Or a plot whose entire cosmology is buried in two, semi-conflicting optional text dumps one of which is one time only in an area that is not remotely obviously one-time only and also disappears from the game and is never mentioned again because I think the writers flat out forgot it existed.

I know the first one was the tutorial stuff you could get at the start or through the menu, what was the other one? I played the PS1 FFs quite a lot when growing up, but it's been quite a few years since then!

Actually, this brings something else to mind. As passé as it probably was by 1997 (after almost a decade of Akira-inspired Japanese media), I feel like the cyberpunk city intro to VII is crucially important: it quickly communicates that the story will concern a society oppressed by a crooked corporation, amongst other things. I really like the school setting at the start of VIII (for reasons I'm not entirely sure of), but it just doesn't pin down the key aspects of the story or world quite so well. The result is that the following set pieces taking place in various attractive settings barely seem connected, even though they're apparently supposed to be?

Excels posted:

they even wove accents into the writing where applicable. it was good stuff

That said, I do remember cringing pretty hard at the not-quite-Scottish dwarves.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 27, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Excels posted:

What's interesting about VIII is that it was their attempt at a completely literal, accurate translation. When VII was being localized it was pretty much 3 guys total, with 1 guy doing the bulk of the work. When VII exploded, and Squeenix suddenly realized the West wanted JRPGs, they brought way more people into the localization team to make sure FF8 didn't have any "This guy are sick" goofs happening this time.

Uh, not at all.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

In this light, the changes make a lot of sense.

They figured an American audience couldn't empathize with a Canadian main character. :v:

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

I wouldn't mind all the smack talk about FF8, if people didn't wildly exaggerate things like this

The White Dragon posted:

How so? She gets like twenty boxes of text in the entire game

Selphie writes a blog entry after nearly every single tiny plot event in the whole freaking game. It's like people who claim characters have no lines when they never even bother to try talking to them on their own once in a while. I kinda like it when the game doesn't ram every little detail down your throat in unskippable cutscenes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love her

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't like VIII because the gameplay sucks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

My favorite part of VIII was when Rinoa's dancing with Squall and then Squall has a hole for a face.

The gameplay is fun to break.