Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

sassassin posted:

So why did you use Eiger?

You kidding? That woman was a murder machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

The Lone Badger posted:

You kidding? That woman was a murder machine.

If you don't know how to use her, she sucks.

A lot of people don't know how to use her.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Martello posted:

If you don't know how to use her, she sucks.

A lot of people don't know how to use her.

How do you use her? :shobon:

I just remember her missing half her shots...

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
She's a sniper. You keep her in the back.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Gerblyn posted:

How do you use her? :shobon:

I just remember her missing half her shots...

Use her shotgun while close, or run as far away as you can and snipe. Sniper rifles are MORE accurate the further away you are - too close and you take penalties.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Also lend her an assault rifle and then get the custom one from her mission. Then she can do all three ranges.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Eiger was a goddamn beast.

Also I almost want to redo my character as a pistol-slinging decker so I can not bring Is0bel since I kinda like her less and less every mission.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Sniping effectively can be hard in DF because the encounters tend not to be very long range, but Eiger has a ton of HP and can afford to charge in close with her shotgun to start kneecapping people.

She's only really ineffective when she's sitting in mid-range, but you can fix that by loaning her an AR until she can pick up the custom one from her personal mission.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

Eiger was a goddamn beast.

Also I almost want to redo my character as a pistol-slinging decker so I can not bring Is0bel since I kinda like her less and less every mission.

Is0bel is amazing in the early game, but her grenade launcher is much less useful as time goes by. I guess that might have been fixed in the latest patch though? I didn't see any mentions of them fixing the burn or armor reduction upgrades.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Eiger was a poo poo version of my poorly-made rifle runner. 20% less accuracy and a bad attitude. No thanks.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

sassassin posted:

Eiger was a poo poo version of my poorly-made rifle runner. 20% less accuracy and a bad attitude. No thanks.

Eiger is incredibly effective, it seems like you just didn't like her because she was mean to you on your first mission.

That or you don't bother casting Aim.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do
You bring Eiger because Blitz is trash and you don't wanna pay some other rear end for something Eiger will do for free.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Blitz was good, he handled all my decking needs and his drone was a useful distraction and could fit through vents.

My runner, Blitz, Dietrich and Lucky Strike/sometimes Glory.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Racter / Gaichu / Gobbet supremacy team. For conversation and destruction.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
do the hires have special dialogue?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Little late for Chi Chat, but it bothers me a lot that a lot of the cool multi-hit attacks you get for free don't apply to fists. :(

Hey, so if I am early in the game (finished museum run) and have invested in weapons and cyberware, how hard is it to add on decking in terms of karma and money?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

GunnerJ posted:

Little late for Chi Chat, but it bothers me a lot that a lot of the cool multi-hit attacks you get for free don't apply to fists. :(

Hey, so if I am early in the game (finished museum run) and have invested in weapons and cyberware, how hard is it to add on decking in terms of karma and money?

Extremely hard to impossible. You'll have to sink a lot of karma into Decking to catch up to what Is0bel can do and may never get there and the money will for sure not be there for you to keep up to date on both weapons and electronics.

Cape Cod Crab Chip fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 27, 2015

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
If you're going to mix Decking with anything, do it with Ranged/Quickness and get enough Cyberware Affinity for a Monofilament Whip. Supplement with skillwires and leg mods. Efficient, affordable, effective.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

How replayable is this game? After reading about how all the NPCs are awesome, I want to experience them all. I think i might make a mage first...I played a decker/rigger in both DMS and DF, and I think a change of pace would be nice.

But then I see hand razors....

EDIT: What's with people hating on Eiger? She was an absolute beast with her sniper rifle, especially hasted and aimed. I had her nearly drop Audran in a single round during the final battle.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 27, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gerblyn posted:

Is0bel is amazing in the early game, but her grenade launcher is much less useful as time goes by. I guess that might have been fixed in the latest patch though? I didn't see any mentions of them fixing the burn or armor reduction upgrades.

Says you. She spent Prosperity Tower lobbing 3-4 grenades a turn (thanks haste) into lightning barriers. :colbert:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Devorum posted:

How replayable is this game? After reading about how all the NPCs are awesome, I want to experience them all. I think i might make a mage first...I played a decker/rigger in both DMS and DF, and I think a change of pace would be nice.

But then I see hand razors....

Do it all! I'm running a Decker/Rigger/Rifle/Spur guy. Not perfectly effective, but the combat isn't terribly hard and I always have LOTS of options! Also with enough investment into Cyberware Affinity, you can get hand razors with no net essence loss!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GhostStalker posted:

I failed my first go at getting Raymond out of the machine at Prosperity Tower because I went over the Alert limit after getting the third memory engram and it spawned like 6 Black IC on me after I went back to the main node. 2 melee, 2 ranged, 2 Destroyers, all spawning surrounding Is0bel. Suffice to say, she ate some serious body damage that KO'ed her a turn later, and I failed to rescue Raymond in time in part because of this. Some of the memory engram nodes also had Black Destroyer IC spawn when I entered them, which I nuked down as quickly as possible... Never saw a Security Spider in this game though.

Is that a game over, or can you go hit the final mission anyway and flail around like an idiot?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Extremely hard to impossible. You'll have to sink a lot of karma into Decking to catch up to what Is0bel can do and may never get there and the money will for sure not be there you to keep up to date on both weapons and electronics.

This was my first thought. I'm halfway to filling Duncan's role, switching over and trying to do decking means half-assing Is0bel's, or half-assing his. Hm.

Captain Oblivious posted:

If you're going to mix Decking with anything, do it with Ranged/Quickness and get enough Cyberware Affinity for a Monofilament Whip. Supplement with skillwires and leg mods. Efficient, affordable, effective.

Well, on the other hand, this is what I was going to do anyway. Money's going to be a big bottleneck, though, I think.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Devorum posted:

After I beat it the first time I figured I would take it easy, play a little more casually, but I keep coming back. I know there's two other endings I didn't get, so I have two new characters lines up for each. It's fun being a Maximum rear end in a top hat to everyone the second time around, can't wait for Stangler Bao to ambush me or something. :v:

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Devorum posted:

EDIT: What's with people hating on Eiger? She was an absolute beast with her sniper rifle, especially hasted and aimed. I had her nearly drop Audran in a single round during the final battle.

Eiger starts out rough. She has a gaping mid-range-sized hole in her offense early on in the game. The early maps aren't designed to accomodate sniper fire and her shotgun had a hard time cracking 60% accuracy for me even at ideal range. Her weapon magazines are also quite small so you spend a lot of AP reloading. Add 2 AP grenades on top of that and she just feels like she ought to do what she does better compared to Glory (Dr. Cover Popper M.D.), Dietrich (Haste/Heal Wounds/Aim may never rise past "does the job well" but Dietrich 100% always does what you need him to do) and Blitz (he decks; if you can't, no one else can). That's early, though. She scales infinitely better than the rest of the team. Her clips get progressively larger as time goes on, grenades go down to 1 AP and you eventually pick up a Rifle, either the Steyr or you can buy her a Colt M23 if you go for the grenade, which you probably shouldn't but to each their own. She may also get the best progression tracks of all your teammates, I know that I got a lot of mileage out of getting Wired Reflexes for her.

It's kind of funny that RPG character power/usefulness discussions tend to default to the endgame. Understandably so, mind you, but if you ever boot up Dragonfall again, let me know how she fares for you on the way to Alice.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Love this game. Loved Dragonfall. DMS was pretty okay.

All in all I'm just really happy with the setting.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Devorum posted:

Very. NPCs won't give you an opinion on the last run if you don't take them. There are a lot of dialog options that, while generally leading to the same result, allow you to play a different character.

The encounters are all basically the same though.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
So can you play DMS or Dragonfall in the Hong Kong engine?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Eiger starts out rough. She has a gaping mid-range-sized hole in her offense early on in the game. The early maps aren't designed to accomodate sniper fire and her shotgun had a hard time cracking 60% accuracy for me even at ideal range. Her weapon magazines are also quite small so you spend a lot of AP reloading. Add 2 AP grenades on top of that and she just feels like she ought to do what she does better compared to Glory (Dr. Cover Popper M.D.), Dietrich (Haste/Heal Wounds/Aim may never rise past "does the job well" but Dietrich 100% always does what you need him to do) and Blitz (he decks; if you can't, no one else can). That's early, though. She scales infinitely better than the rest of the team. Her clips get progressively larger as time goes on, grenades go down to 1 AP and you eventually pick up a Rifle, either the Steyr or you can buy her a Colt M23 if you go for the grenade, which you probably shouldn't but to each their own. She may also get the best progression tracks of all your teammates, I know that I got a lot of mileage out of getting Wired Reflexes for her.

It's kind of funny that RPG character power/usefulness discussions tend to default to the endgame. Understandably so, mind you, but if you ever boot up Dragonfall again, let me know how she fares for you on the way to Alice.

Fair enough. At early levels, I mostly used her as a shotgunner. It's pretty great once Dietrich gets his Earth fetish and you can have it use the ability that just gives people cover and have Glory and Eiger running around wrecking people up close but also in medium cover at all times.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

neongrey posted:

Okay we've heard a lot about Duncan

Gun Show Best Show

I think the problem ("problem") with Duncan isn't that he's bad. Duncan is awesome. It's that if you have a PC who isn't a decker nor a shaman, you probably bring is0 and gobbet. That leaves one spot, which in my case was rotating pretty much mission by mission between Duncan, Gaichu, and Racter. And in all fairness to Duncan it'd be hard for anyone to stand up to Racter and Gaichu.

Gaichu at Deckcon and the movie producer party were pro choices, as we all know :allears:

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
You should also bring Duncan to the movie producer party and drink the wine in front of him.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

ProfessorCirno posted:

I mean, nothing stops you from having adept stuff and then getting wired reflexes too. It'll cost you 6 karma to get a full free point of essence - that's a real good trade. You can afford to lose one spell, I think.

...Really wish the top two cyberware weapon attacks were fixed though. Or that, uh, there was a reason not to go whip every time.

You need cyber affinity five to get wired reflexes, so it's a little more of a karma investment than 6.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

ded posted:

So can you play DMS or Dragonfall in the Hong Kong engine?

From what I've heard sort of? It's buggier than going from DMS to Dragonfall. Some dialogues are messed up and head cyberware is busted because they added the brain slot.

If someone wanted to they could probably fix it, but we'll see if anyone bothers.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Hawgh posted:

And also ziptie gangers, mercenaries and interdimensional demon-gods.

I was bummed that they didn't script any reactivity to you using Duncan's zip-tie instead of killing people. You can't zip-tie the Plastic-faced Man, for example, the game treats it like you killed him.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Still not really sure how people are getting "massive DPS" out of Racter. Dude has virtually no combat skills and his drone is really good at missing each and every melee opportunity even though Racter buffed him and I went straight melee. :mediocre:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I've just started DMS, a few minutes in. Doing a basic street samurai with guns as main weapons propably. What are some good builds or general non-spoiler tips for the campaign?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Son of Rodney posted:

I've just started DMS, a few minutes in. Doing a basic street samurai with guns as main weapons propably. What are some good builds or general non-spoiler tips for the campaign?

For DMS you want to deck as a secondary. This won't be hard for two reasons: Most DMS stat checks top out at 6 and DMS showers you in karma. Ranged weapons are good to invest in, so you should be good to go as-is.

fennesz posted:

Still not really sure how people are getting "massive DPS" out of Racter. Dude has virtually no combat skills and his drone is really good at missing each and every melee opportunity even though Racter buffed him and I went straight melee. :mediocre:

I went full ranged for Koeschi, and with Racter buffing him with Overclock and Aim (and then taking cover with the 3rd AP, skip Aim if you're still in the 2AP phase) he would routinely shred fools. Shotgun attachment for clusters, headshot for enemies out of cover, laser for ... well, everything. Laser everyone.

Of course the standard pop enemies out of cover stuff applies, but when you have a 5AP drone with tons of gun abilities firing five times in a single turn, yeah, you're gonna get some damage. Take Racter's level-up ability which reduces the cooldown on Overclock.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 27, 2015

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

fennesz posted:

I'm pretty sure there's one or more bugs with melee hit chance. Both melee-Koschei and Gaichu miss way, way more often than the hit chance indicates.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Periodiko posted:

I was bummed that they didn't script any reactivity to you using Duncan's zip-tie instead of killing people. You can't zip-tie the Plastic-faced Man, for example, the game treats it like you killed him.

Well yes, the whole point of the setup for that was that you need to knock him out in a very specific way to keep his cyberware from wiping his memories. That way is definitely not a shock rod and some zip-ties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Oh yeah I missed where you get the shock fist. Where exactly is it?

• Locked thread