Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Malibu Stacy has a new hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Augus posted:

Why are they treating this like a brand new mode?
Are they really just going to pretend the old Battlefront games don't exist?

Most of the goons in this very thread are pretending the old battlefront games don't exist, so I can understand trying to explain things like its a new audience :downs:

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
This is interesting, per this article there will be AI bots, a'la Battlefront 1/2, and Battlefield 2. This is good news for people with younger kids who wish to shield their young from the horrors of multiplayer.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Remote User posted:

This isn't the case with the whole map. Once the walkers reach the halfway point, it opens up. In the first half, there are several avenues in which to advance, but it is a bit corridor like. After that, it's a huge open battlefield, complete with trenches, and turrets. That area itself slopes downward, towards the Empire's objective, so, as a rebel, the walkers look even taller, and more terrifying.

Alright that is good to know. And yea I completely forgot that the maps may be constrained because they are playing a certain mode.

Zaphod42 posted:

As people keep pointing out, in the old DICE way they'd make every map big and then cut out parts of it for other game modes, and that didn't work so well.

So now they're making maps of all sizes, small medium and large, to fit different game types.
I'll be shocked if there isn't at least one big wake island type map.

That's too bad. I liked the way that they did that in BF3 and 4. Let you get familiar with parts of the map that might not see any action otherwise.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Remote User posted:

This is interesting, per this article there will be AI bots, a'la Battlefront 1/2, and Battlefield 2. This is good news for people with younger kids who wish to shield their young from the horrors of multiplayer.

I hope it is like old battlefield vietnam where you could have 64 bots vs you and a friend.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

shankerz posted:

I hope it is like old battlefield vietnam where you could have 64 bots vs you and a friend.

I'm pretty sure they said there's a co-op mode already, so that would mean you could. :getin:

And the co-op mode kinda necessitates bots, but good news anyways. I hate FPS games that don't have bots so you can at least practice or warm up. And yeah, co-op comp stomps can be fun if you don't feel like being all competitive but you still want to play the game.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm pretty sure they said there's a co-op mode already, so that would mean you could. :getin:

There's definitely co-op, it was part of the alpha. I just hope the MP maps are playable with bots.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Augus posted:

Why are they treating this like a brand new mode?
Are they really just going to pretend the old Battlefront games don't exist?

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it sounds like TF2's control points mode rather than Battlefield conquest. It's a linear chain of points with only two in contention at a time.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Breakfast All Day posted:

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it sounds like TF2's control points mode rather than Battlefield conquest. It's a linear chain of points with only two in contention at a time.

Sounds like a set up for Turtling.....

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
God I am so hyped for this game...
Question is do I preorder or do I wait? Are there any real benefits to preordering? I guess not.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Hopper posted:

Question is do I preorder or do I wait? Are there any real benefits to preordering? I guess not.

People are speculating that the DL-44 and extra emotes will be unlockable with experience, but I'm not so sure. I've never pre-ordered a game before but I might just have to with this one.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Just wait a day or two. After Sim City and Battlefield 4 releases I will never pre-order from EA again. For such a huge budget studio both those games were entirely unplayable for me at launch. It was over a month before I could even play single player BF4 on PS4 and Sim City was a similar disaster.

EA for all the poo poo they get mostly deserve it. I'm not usually so hard on a studio if they have a rough launch, but EA clearly does not give a gently caress cause people continue to pre-order en masse and they are fine shipping a completely broken product.

Popete fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 14, 2015

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
You are absolutely correct. Whichbis why I hope there is no exclusive preorder content. But I guess even if there is, it will be sold extra after a year.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Hopper posted:

You are absolutely correct. Whichbis why I hope there is no exclusive preorder content. But I guess even if there is, it will be sold extra after a year.

At the moment, there's nothing worth getting the pre-order for. Standard edition gets a week early access to one map, and the deluxe gets a couple of unlocks, and emotes, totally not worth it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BF3 just gave you the first DLC early (and that may have just been from buying the first run of the game) and I don't think BF4 had any special preorder bonus. If they haven't already announced anything, you're probably safe from missing exclusive content.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hopper posted:

The answer is always the same for videogames:

Pre-order only if there's a huge discount in doing so and you know you're going to buy the game anyway (not common)

Otherwise, if the game has good pre-order bonuses and you know you want it, pre-order it the day before it comes out.

Otherwise, do not preorder.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am not sure how goos the current 20% of at gmg are but I won't buy it for now. I will just set aside the money and wait.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hopper posted:

I am not sure how goos the current 20% of at gmg are but I won't buy it for now. I will just set aside the money and wait.

3 months and a couple days to go. If something else doesn't give a bigger coupon that one will come around again.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Battlefield 4 went from $60 at launch in October to $25 on a Black Friday sale a month later (or $30 for BF4+ Premium).
And you got to miss that month where the game barely worked!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It went that cheap that fast because it was broken and people were justifiably upset. If Battlefront is good and works, you won't see that kind of deal so soon.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
SAVE23-WITHGM-GAUG15

23% off at GMG till tomorrow.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Battlefield engine still gonna battlefield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVxu0UBrwsQ&t=872s

Also it's a new video

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 22, 2015

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

quote:

Q. Can I fly the Y-wing?

A: Y-wings are non-player controlled vehicles. They are a support vehicle that you can call into battle within certain game modes.

noooooooooo

can't believe I pre-ordered this pos game

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Know what's a good idea to put in your space battle fantasy game literally called 'Star Wars'? Space battles.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

noooooooooo

can't believe I pre-ordered this pos game

How many people would actually WANT to fly a bomber in this kind of game? Maybe a few, but not enough. If not enough people want to fly them, it either screws up the rest of gameplay, or is balanced so that they are not particularly useful anyway(see almost every combat ship in Battlefront 2, which were fun, but ultimately zerging the enemy ship with troops was preferred)

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Yep, bombers are either broken, useless, or limited controlled. I did prefer the bf1943 way.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I was being facetious anyway. Makes sense for a game trying to reach as broad appeal as possible.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hard to tell in this thread.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
They will probably be playable in one of the dlc packs. Along with space battles.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

drunkill posted:

They will probably be playable in one of the dlc packs. Along with space battles.

This is something I still don't get, with the revelation of the flying only battle mode, how much harder would it have been to just remove the ground and add a space skybox? Voila, you have space battles.

Make the map pretty drat large, (is that the problem perhaps? A really large map?), add a star destroyer on one side and some rebel's ship on the other, bingo done easy.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cardboard Box A posted:

Battlefield engine still gonna battlefield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVxu0UBrwsQ&t=872s

Also it's a new video

Goddamn, that was kinda painful to watch. Actually controlling the AT-AT guns looks to be pretty drat letha, though. :unsmigghh:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Does this game use battlelog on pc?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

In name, no. In quality/features, probably yes.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

Dear god let's hope not of all the EA things I hate, battle l log rates #1.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Know what's a good idea to put in your space battle fantasy game literally called 'Star Wars'? Space battles.

Remember that one Unreal Tournament map where you'd spawn on ships and you'd shoot at each other but then you could hop in spaceships and fly around too?

That'd work so well in Battlefront. :smith:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Weird I thought it was supposed to be their universal online system from BF3 forward. Hopefully its still browser based.

shankerz posted:

Dear god let's hope not of all the EA things I hate, battle l log rates #1.

I too hate super fast server browser population, a large realtime map on my second monitor, and awesome third party plugins.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I bet you it will be called Holonet or Holocron or something.

Anyway, phone posting so you'll have to click for images, Battle of Jakku concept art:
http://www.starwars.com/news/ea-previews-the-battle-of-jakku-on-star-wars-battlefront
E: note the super star destroyer crashing in the background.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 27, 2015

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

my second monitor

how to tell everyone you're a massive nerd in one easy step

also I think you're the only person who actually likes it being browser based??

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

cargohills posted:

how to tell everyone you're a massive nerd in one easy step

Yes grabbing a cheap screen and plugging it into your PC is nerd personified. Its really difficult and not simple at all, yes indeedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

dogstile posted:

I'm a nerd

ftfy

• Locked thread