Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

VodeAndreas posted:

Give these people your money.

Well now that they are at 495,000 oh wait 496,000 with 34 days left I wonder what their stretch goals will be.

Edit: And just pased 497,000

Edit 2: And now funded.

Lowtechs fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

InShaneee posted:

For anyone here that's heard of/enjoyed the tabletop game BattleCON, there's a kickstarter currently running for a PC/Android/IOS version of the game.

(For anyone that hasn't heard of it: it's a two-player fixed-deck game meant to simulate an arcade fighting game. It's good).

Yeah. The preview is pretty rough since it's basically a minimum viable sort of deal, but as long as they can bring the mechanics over from the tabletop game, it's going to be a barrel of fun for those who like fighting games that are not fighting games but instead are done with cards.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

al-azad posted:

I can't tell if you're trying to be ironic about wanting more from not-Cave Story while in the same breath calling out someone's RPG maker game for maybe being like other RPG maker games.

Underside still had alot more different about it from Cave Story than Omori would ever have from OFF.
Like the whole point of Omori was to be OFF and Earthbound hap-hazardly slapped together. I can't see this really working cuz what possible fun audio library could they pull from and not have to pay big bucks for it?

I guess at this point it's easier to say whether or not it was a scam to rake in money from tumblr idiots, in which case it succeeded on all fronts if that were the case!

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 27, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Lowtechs posted:

I wonder what their stretch goals will be.

Hopefully none, just a "Thank you!" to the community. It seems really ambitious as it is without pilling on more features.

Considering it's trending towards ten million dollars, I'd hate for this to become RPG's Star Citizen.

After all, Torment and Project Eternity got around only four million each, with the highest RPG right now being Shroud of the Avatar at almost seven million.

Of course this might just be early days donations and they'll taper off, and they won't get near ten million. Still, their comment "But you’ve caught us of guard and showed us there was an even better scenario." seems to suggest they might not have expected this nor designed any stretch goals. I'd be worried they'll panic and start listening to fans and start pilling on more poo poo.

edit: Dumb me didn't remember this bit: "We are financing Divinity: Original Sin 2 ourselves, but the ideas that we have can be stretched a lot further than what our current budget allows for." which means they must have some ideas up their sleeve.

But then again that could be interpreted as "ideas we could use an extra 500k for", not millions of dollars.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 27, 2015

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Lowtechs posted:

Well now that they are at 495,000 oh wait 496,000 with 34 days left I wonder what their stretch goals will be.

Edit: And just pased 497,000

Edit 2: And now funded.

It's becoming a tradition to have Chris Avellone at some tier.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Gamers should not be allowed to use the word "scam" anymore. I don't think I've ever seen a group of people misuse a word more.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

KiddieGrinder posted:

Considering it's trending towards ten million dollars, I'd hate for this to become RPG's Star Citizen.

It won't get ten million dollars or anywhere close to that. And Larian knows how to develop games, so don't worry about it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Sunning posted:

Already a done deal, actually.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

In Indiegogo news, a rare finished game project has been spotted in the wild; Fran Bow is out after a couple years of development.

It's a point and click horror type game, which is very much my jam. It's got a really striking and unique art style. It was made by two people who never did games before, and it's kind of impressive they were supposedly able to work on it full time for about 2 years with only $28k USD. They live somewhere in the wilds of Sweden.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

A shack in Sweden seems like the perfect place to make a weird horror game, so this must be good.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

prahanormal posted:

Gamers should not be allowed to use the word "scam" anymore. I don't think I've ever seen a group of people misuse a word more.

You should get out more.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
What if your favorite action video games came to life??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtUTDqXDes8

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

KiddieGrinder posted:

First off, never trust trending information, especially in the first few days. It's never accurate; every popular kickstarter trends towards like 20x its stated goal in the first few days.

Second, apologize to Larian Studios please tia

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
Isn't the whole point of the Divinity II kickstarter just to get additional money to make the game bigger and better? The whole campaign is just a big "MAKE GAME AWESOME" stretch goal, so it seems unnecessary to have additional stretch sub-goals.

prahanormal posted:

Gamers should not be allowed to use the word "scam" anymore.
:agreed:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

XenoCrab posted:

Isn't the whole point of the Divinity II kickstarter just to get additional money to make the game bigger and better? The whole campaign is just a big "MAKE GAME AWESOME" stretch goal, so it seems unnecessary to have additional stretch sub-goals.

:agreed:

Stretch goal feature creep is my concern too, but ideally their experience with the day/night cycle stretch goal in the first game is something they learned from and they'll have a more realistic assessment this time of what they can handle so they don't overpromise.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Who wouldn't want to watch two tinmen clumsily swinging sticks at each other?!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

prahanormal posted:

perhaps the word should be banned with respect to videogames, until star citizen is inevitably either cancelled or released, but terrible

GewuerzKahn
Jan 7, 2014

My opposable nipples are hurting me.

Yodzilla posted:

Could ne nice for larping. If you and your friends are rich.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Sunning posted:

Now that he's not at Obsidian anymore, he can be a stretch goal for Pillars II.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

AnonSpore posted:

First off, never trust trending information, especially in the first few days. It's never accurate; every popular kickstarter trends towards like 20x its stated goal in the first few days.

Second, apologize to Larian Studios please tia

I'm sorry Larian Studios. :ohdear:

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
"I MEANT I WAS THE JEWS!" Ahaha, that still cracks me up. It's still not the thread title?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Aardark posted:

"I MEANT I WAS THE JEWS!" Ahaha, that still cracks me up. It's still not the thread title?

Games › Kickstarter Gaming - for $10.000,00 YOU ARE THE JEWS

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

AnonSpore posted:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

AnonSpore posted:

Get out of here with your weird wrong European periods instead of commas and commas instead of periods.

Anyhow it sucks that the GRIP Kickstarter got canceled but they're continuing on best they can anyway :unsmith: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/169002413/grip-an-intense-futuristic-combat-racer/posts/1336106?ref=backer_project_update

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Get out of here with your weird wrong European periods instead of commas and commas instead of periods.

Anyhow it sucks that the GRIP Kickstarter got canceled but they're continuing on best they can anyway :unsmith: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/169002413/grip-an-intense-futuristic-combat-racer/posts/1336106?ref=backer_project_update

I'm not European, I just copied the current title.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
gently caress I didn't know the qwop guys were kickstarting or I would've - oh, wait it's some guncar game not a full game expansion of GIRP, never mind

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

AnonSpore posted:

I'm not European, I just copied the current title.

That makes you european, no backsies.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

perhaps the word should be banned with respect to videogames, until star citizen is inevitably either cancelled or released, but terrible

We're post scam and every game is awesome.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
Don't know if anyone has already posted it but BEDLAM comes out September 17th!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AodL75Pkiw

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
This is from the Divinity II kickstarter update

quote:

Since things went a lot faster than we anticipated, we’ll need a little bit more time to prepare our first big update, but rest assured, it’s coming.

This poo poo makes me laugh every friggin' time. Obsidian, Larian, whatever. You've got months to prepare. You know big name titles like this tend to fund fast. Why the hell aren't you ready for the bizarre contingency of success? :xd:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I dunno preparing for success makes people think you're manipulative or something.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Aardark posted:

I still am the Jews, and don't you loving forget it

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

mycot posted:

I dunno preparing for success makes people think you're manipulative or something.

It's dumb but I would much rather that then a red ash situation where you're so arrogantly sure the fans are going to overfund you based all your plans on it

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Seems pretty reasonable to me. Their first kickstarter took ages to fund (even if it was clear it was going to) and didn't crack a million IIRC.

They have to be caught off guard when they got $500k the first day. I know I'd be shocked.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Fintilgin posted:

This poo poo makes me laugh every friggin' time. Obsidian, Larian, whatever. You've got months to prepare. You know big name titles like this tend to fund fast. Why the hell aren't you ready for the bizarre contingency of success? :xd:
Stuff like red ash could have easily backfired on previously funded devs; every time you think you have kixtarter figured out it manages to surprise, so I guess playing down their expectations made sense

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

You're saying that like Red Ash didn't backfire on previously funded devs

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Darkhold posted:

Seems pretty reasonable to me. Their first kickstarter took ages to fund (even if it was clear it was going to) and didn't crack a million IIRC.

They have to be caught off guard when they got $500k the first day. I know I'd be shocked.

Turns out that making a really good game using kickstarter really helps when you use kickstarter again.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I didn't kickstart the first one, but I really enjoyed the game. Because of that, I threw down $25 immediately on the sequel.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Fintilgin posted:

My guess/hope is they already know what features they want to put in the game with stretch goals and they're just trying to figure out what backer totals they can reasonably hit given the rapid funding so far.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

mycot posted:

I guess some people might think that. I suppose they can't win.

To me it seems almost unprofessional (too strong a word really) to be asking for potentially millions of dollars and not have your campaign all planned out, art prepped, and ready to roll on demand as needed. It feels like they're just winging it.

It's not a big thing though, just sort of amusing/exasperating. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I didn't kickstart the first one, but I really enjoyed the game. Because of that, I threw down $25 immediately on the sequel.

Same.

Andrast posted:

Turns out that making a really good game using kickstarter really helps when you use kickstarter again.

People support good games???