Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

GORDON posted:

There will always be poor people no matter how much money you spend on them.

That's a nice way to say that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

GORDON posted:

You are not special and no one is obligated to treat you as if you are.

I disagree, but that's a nice way to say that.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

full communism now

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Poetic Justice posted:

"Life is not fair and never will be you drug addicted, cancer ridden wheelchair bound bubonic plague carrying retard"

That's mean, but if you just said the life is not fair and never will be part, it would be fine.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Wulfolme posted:

also a preemptive gently caress you for when you insist that you could say that to someone nicely or some other goalpost bullshit, most people get mad as hell at that message no matter how much you sugarcoat it for their "benefit"

Your preemptive "gently caress you" is a case in point that people can get mad even when one is being reasonably respectful. Being nice isn't about not making people angry and in fact can be a wonderful way to help people experience their own feelings of frustration and powerlessness instead of giving them a way to project those feelings on to you.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well a lot of this comes from folks in the recent weeks coming to the forefront of the political debates.

"Its PC Gone mad! I can't fly my confederate flag! Or call it like it is with these black thugs! Or deport all Mexicans, regardless of legal status! I can't have my Christian display on public grounds! I can't tell that woman its her fault for dressing like that!" And so on and so forth.

Its almost always an attempt to do something unConstitutional or outright mean, and like others have said, it makes it really hard to discuss those issues because folk get immediately offended when you bring it up. And I don't mean the issues, I mean their complaining about PC. Its like a blanket foggy idea of being mad others are mad at what you said.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
you guys do understand that people are defining the term in a drastically different way and that an identical sentence will mean completely differentthings, right

you understand that the world doesn't operate with your unique vocabulary in mind right

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Applewhite posted:

I think each of us have experienced a time in our workplace or school where we've made an innocuous comment that has caused someone great offense, followed by the sinking feeling in our gut as people rally around the offended party, rather than denounce him or her for being hypersensitive to a comment obviously meant in jest.

i havent,also i cant imagine that situation happening very often

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

whoai thought this was a two page thread and thus my post would be timely, but actually it is not. sincere apologies

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ocean Book posted:

i havent,also i cant imagine that situation happening very often

For most people it doesn't happen very often, but I find it highly dubious it hasn't even happened to you even once. Great job never expressing an opinion that wasn't so perfectly bland as to be unobjectionable I guess.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
One time I said that soldiers are trained killers and some dude whose dad was a general got angry at me. At first I didn't understand it but then I realized it's because his dad had never seen a day of combat in his life.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

Applewhite posted:

For most people it doesn't happen very often, but I find it highly dubious it hasn't even happened to you even once. Great job never expressing an opinion that wasn't so perfectly bland as to be unobjectionable I guess.

when someone calls me on something i consider their view and navigate the situation accordingly instead of digging my heels in.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ocean Book posted:

when someone calls me on something i consider their view and navigate the situation accordingly instead of digging my heels in.

Well yeah, sorry I didn't mean to imply one always "doubles down" in those situations, but it is still highly disorienting to suddenly be treated as the bad guy in a scenario where you meant no malice.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

PC is things like not using racial slurs to refer to ethnic minorities and generally not being a bigoted piece of poo poo

PC gone mad is stuff old racist white people make up about minorities so that they can be outraged at things that would be dumb if they had ever actually happened. it's basically because they really want to say racial slurs but that's not PC so they resort to reductio ad absurdum as a nice dog whistle to other racist dumbasses. Stuff like not being allowed to say merry christmas, or kids not being allowed to sing baa baa black sheep in school.

iirc saying merry christmas was actually banned in England once, but it was christians that banned it. it was in the 17th century i think.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
PC gone mad is when an elementary schooler is suspended for wielding a pop-tart bitten into the shape of a gun.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Also the daily mail said it was pc gone mad that there was a transgendered school teacher one time, so they started a hate campaign and publicly bullied her and harassed her at her home until she killed herself.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Quote-Unquote posted:

PC is things like not using racial slurs to refer to ethnic minorities and generally not being a bigoted piece of poo poo

PC gone mad is stuff old racist white people make up about minorities so that they can be outraged at things that would be dumb if they had ever actually happened. it's basically because they really want to say racial slurs but that's not PC so they resort to reductio ad absurdum as a nice dog whistle to other racist dumbasses. Stuff like not being allowed to say merry christmas, or kids not being allowed to sing baa baa black sheep in school.

iirc saying merry christmas was actually banned in England once, but it was christians that banned it. it was in the 17th century i think.

I also like to choose definitions of words that make me sound right about everything, you self-congratulatory human being.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Wulfolme posted:

I also like to choose definitions of words that make me sound right about everything, you self-congratulatory human being.

is that why u redefined self-congratulatory and human being to describe anything but yourself, dumbshit?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

PC gone mad is when an elementary schooler is suspended for wielding a pop-tart bitten into the shape of a gun.

Did this really happen? Its pretty specific.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Jastiger posted:

Did this really happen? Its pretty specific.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/18/student-suspended-for-pop-tart-gun_n_2903500.html

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Wulfolme posted:

I think you should reconsider the way you think it's appropriate to interact with people.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Haha dang.

Lets break it down though. If I brought something that LOOKED like a bomb and put it into my backpack and made it LOOK like I was planting it in a locker, but it was a pop tart bitten to look like a bomb, is it wrong to treat it seriously?

I mean its really silly on the surface, but I'm not sure going around pretending to use weapons on people is really "fun lol" type stuff.

Thoughts? PC GONE MAD?!

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Applewhite posted:

WHen i made my lunchables into the shape of a confederate flag, the School Tribunal sentenced me to being gay for the rest of the week.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Was that the real poptart gun, or is that an artist's rendition, because it's really well done.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Jastiger posted:

Haha dang.

Lets break it down though. If I brought something that LOOKED like a bomb and put it into my backpack and made it LOOK like I was planting it in a locker, but it was a pop tart bitten to look like a bomb, is it wrong to treat it seriously?

I mean its really silly on the surface, but I'm not sure going around pretending to use weapons on people is really "fun lol" type stuff.

Thoughts? PC GONE MAD?!

actually yes, it would be, because it's a loving pop tart

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Jastiger posted:

Haha dang.

Thoughts? PC GONE MAD?!

No, okay? It was a pastry covered in pink frosting and nobody believed it was a real gun for even a moment. It is completely, utterly unreasonable to suspend a child for that. Punish them for being disruptive? Yeah, okay w/e.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
Lol at this statement:

quote:

"This kid was just as imaginative and is just as adventurous as Steve Jobs was at the age of 7," said Robin Ficker, a Montgomery County attorney who has been hired by the student's father, J.B. Welch, to represent the family in the appeal.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
"This is why we can't have Steve Jobs anymore!"

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
he's just saying what every parent unironically believes about their child

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Obviously you guys have never been a victim of a pastry crime. smh. Privileged.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
the only thing that stops a bad guy with a pastry is a good guy with a pastry

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

dogcrash truther posted:

"This is why we can't have Steve Jobs anymore!"

"If Einstein had been a child today, he would have been put on Ritalin."

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Poop Chute Gone Mad!

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
both guys need to give me their pastries

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSFLZ-MzIhM

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

Applewhite posted:

Well yeah, sorry I didn't mean to imply one always "doubles down" in those situations, but it is still highly disorienting to suddenly be treated as the bad guy in a scenario where you meant no malice.

thats true. and in fairness to your previous posts, there are situations where you cannot back down from a position without sacrificing your values or integrity, and in those situations i would say digging your heels in against overwhelming opposition is the honorable choice. you should make sure your values are actually worth defending however.

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

Applewhite posted:

no, that's zero tolerance, which is to make people not think

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Roberto_Silencio posted:

Yeah, people conflate P.C. with zero tolerance policies and get confused. I don't blame them- a person of average intelligence is actually pretty dumb, and the zero tolerance policies were instated in the first place to help those average people (school administrators) avoid having to decide when it's appropriate or not appropriate for a 6th grader to call another 6th grader the n-word.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Roberto_Silencio posted:

Zero tolerance and P.C. are not mutually exclusive but yeah I can see how this example is probably not an issue of "political correctness."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Zero tolerance and P.C. are not mutually exclusive but yeah I can see how this example is probably not an issue of "political correctness."

its kind of the same in the sense that neither apply any common sense or reasoning to labeling something "good" or "ungood" (a little newspeak there)

• Locked thread