Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Cake can be used for any celebrations. Doing laundry, for example. Or replacing the toilet paper roll.

Or to mark the occasion of a difficult task overcome, such as the task of baking a cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Doopliss posted:

The Wall of Fallen Pikmin is still kosher, right? :ohdear:

Yeah, The Wall should be fine, it's goofy and fun. Bad Things Happen in pikmin.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I love The Wall, its fun to see all the fun names people come up with for the poor, dear departed Pikmans :3:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Why have 100 Pikmin on a cake when you could have a cake being carried by 100 Pikmin?

This is actually a pretty great idea. Put the cake on a glass platter, raised a little off the table, then ring the outside with candy pikmin so it looks like they're carrying it. You could even put a little Olimar on the top blowing his whistle!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Faerie Fortune posted:

brb proposing to my girlfriend so I can have this cake

Just don't schedule the ceremony until after you at least reach the later games. Because then you'll miss out on the later, also adorable pikmin that you could have also had on your cake.

Ventadour
Feb 17, 2012

Such is the way of things, I fear. I shall consider it a miracle if mine armor is not stained crimson ere this conflict is ended.
I imagined a wedding where the bride is carried to the altar by Pikmin and I'm not sure if that's adorable or terrifying.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
The altar is an onion.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

:siren:Update Time:siren:

Episode 17 - The Cannon Beetles Battle Cry

Now for some thread discussion! What's your favourite snack, friends?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I've actually really started to get into raw carrots.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
There are more of those beetles in Pikmin 2? That seems like it could get tedious to play real fast.

My favorite snack depends on my mood. There's this awesome garlic and herb spread called Rondele that I love putting on crackers. But when my sweettooth kicks in, you can't beat a nice moist, hot chocolate chip cookie with a tall cold glass of milk.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It's a Snagret. Half Snake, Half Egret. Half your active Pikmin.

I meanwhile am partial to Tim Tams for snacks

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 28, 2015

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
It's a snagret! Half snake, half egret!

^^^ :argh:

Mr. Vile fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 28, 2015

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

Samovar posted:

I've actually really started to get into raw carrots.
On a similar note, frozen grapes are just the best. Ordinary grapes are pretty decent? Freeze them and they become something else entirely.

Also, it's been at least a page since the Wall has been linked, and that's unacceptable. These Pikmin have families! Or whatever the Pikmin social equivalent of families is, I guess. They have pellet/corpse-mates?

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 28, 2015

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

There are more of those beetles in Pikmin 2? That seems like it could get tedious to play real fast.

Like all boss enemies demoted to regular enemies, they have a lot less HP in pikmin 2.

Doopliss posted:

On a similar note, frozen grapes are just the best. Ordinary grapes are pretty decent? Freeze them and they become something else entirely.

Also, it's been at least a page since the Wall has been linked, and that's unacceptable. These Pikmin have families! Or whatever the Pikmin social equivalent of families is, I guess. They have pellet/corpse-mates?

Pikmin family structure seems to be "leader + followers," but for some reason actual pikmin leaders have all died. So now they follow Olimar instead, as the replacement dad, and the pikmin themselves are an interchangeable worker caste.

BirchBeerFloat
Jul 26, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Not to spoil anything that hasn't already been spoiled, but the beetles in Pikmin 2 aren't EXACTLY the same as the Armored Cannon Beetle, they're a variant that's much faster to fight (not to mention that combat in Pikmin 2 is faster in general).

I'm not really big on snacks, usually I just have crackers with something simple like peanut butter or cheese.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Doopliss posted:

This goon speaks the truth. Grapes do not become solid-ice balls when frozen, like you might think. They have a texture not unlike ice-cream.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
E: Deleted

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 29, 2015

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Can you not throw red pikmin up the cliff near where the first lot of bomb rocks are? That would be easier than the bridge.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Fae is the scariest monster of all.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Also of note, with regards to the 'frog nuggets', in at least some versions of the game (possibly all, not sure?) there is no guaranteed threshold of pikmin which will always weigh them down. It is entirely possible to jam 100 pikmin onto the frogs and still have one jump, VASTLY complicating the process of fighting them. You are always rolling the dice when fighting a frog unless you leave pikmin behind and fight it yourself, which CAN be done, but is somewhat difficult and can take, if memory serves, one-sixth to one-quarter of a day per frog, if they're uncooperative.

Certainly not in Pikmin2, because you can stunlock them right to death with the right group there.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Can you not throw red pikmin up the cliff near where the first lot of bomb rocks are? That would be easier than the bridge.

Yeah, blues can be tossed up from the water, reds from the cliff, if you're doing a few yellows with bomb rocks, you can just carry them over one by one. across the bridge.

Samovar posted:

This goon speaks the truth. Grapes do not become solid-ice balls when frozen, like you might think. They have a texture not unlike ice-cream.
That sounds awesome and now I must try them.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
E: Deleted

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 29, 2015

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Guys, lets not talk about Pikmin 2 just yet!

Lets instead talk about how absolutely adorable this Olimar amiibo looks and how, if you're in Europe you can buy one right now like my lovely girlfriend just did for me :3:

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Haven't finished watching the video yet, but I was struck by the phrasing.

Gnome-Navi posted:

Cannon Beetle
It will shoot you from its snout, so don't stand or keep your pikmin in front of it!
You kill it by its butt, but you'll have to open its shell first!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Faylone posted:

That sounds awesome and now I must try them.

Only take a handful at a time, tho. They brown REALLY fast when they start to defrost.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 29, 2015

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Has it been mentioned yet that blue pikmin can serve as lifeguards if they're deactivated in water near pikmin of other colors when they fall in? I'm not really sure it would be a spoiler this close to the end of the first game, and it's an incredibly niche application, but it means a little planning can save pikmin if you expect to have to run pikmin of other colors around water.

It hasn't been mentioned yet because I actually forgot this was a mechanic! It's a really good mechanic, but it comes up so rarely. Maybe we can show it off in a video later.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
you guys still seem to be having some sound issues, are you using the Audio dsp binary file dumps that you can get from a wii or gamecube? or by what ever means might be available. I just played trough pikmin in dolphin and my audio was near perfect. but I also have a highend cpu so that helps too

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Yeah, I'm using the binary file dumps but I also discovered that I was using a two year old build of Dolphin which might have had a lot to do with why I was having problems :saddowns: I'm using an updated version now so hopefully the sound issues should be a little better, but it seems that Pikmin just really hates dolphin, because Wind Waker runs fine with no issues so who even knows at this point

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Faerie Fortune posted:

Yeah, I'm using the binary file dumps but I also discovered that I was using a two year old build of Dolphin which might have had a lot to do with why I was having problems :saddowns: I'm using an updated version now so hopefully the sound issues should be a little better, but it seems that Pikmin just really hates dolphin, because Wind Waker runs fine with no issues so who even knows at this point

Dolphin just seems to randomly hate games. I had to do two hours of tinkering to make Crystal Chronicles even work without crashing every five minutes. Some games refuse to work outright. But I have to say I've not noticed Pikmin screaming at me, so either my settings are different, or it has something to do with recording, or maybe it just has completely arbitrary issues for each person.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Yes you can and that's what you're supposed to do if you want these fights to go fast at all. Most fights go significantly faster when you use an army of reds instead of anything else in this game.

VVV You can just throw reds up the cliff that was mentioned in the post I quoted and bypass the bridge entirely. They won't be in range of any of the snagrets there so you just walk around and fetch them.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 29, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Internet Kraken posted:

Yes you can and that's what you're supposed to do if you want these fights to go fast at all. Most fights go significantly faster when you use an army of reds instead of anything else in this game.

The exception being the Beady Long Legs where yellows had their only useful moment.
Unfortunately, for the Snagret, the casualties from the deathwater would exceed the benefits from more damage significantly.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Hey Fae, I got a question for ya. If you could get one kind of Pikmin to keep as a pet, which one would it be? Red, yellow, or blue?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Faerie Fortune posted:

Guys, lets not talk about Pikmin 2 just yet!

Sorry, maybe I just phrased it poorly? It would be a spoiler for this game, if at all. Pikmin 1 has the [redacted] blues mechanic. I actually thought that maybe gnome was withholding it for tactical reasons or something.

E:

Didn't even see that. I'm not just bad at posting, but reading comprehension as well, apparently. :v:
VVVVVV

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 29, 2015

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sorry, maybe I just phrased it poorly? It would be a spoiler for this game, if at all. Pikmin 1 has the [redacted] blues mechanic. I actually thought that maybe gnome was withholding it for tactical reasons or something.

E: Posting a non-spoiler which I then deleted was how I got probated last time, I'll just say I'm sorry if the mechanic with the blues was supposed to be a surprise and refrain from future posting in these threads. I don't mean to be passive-aggressive or an rear end in a top hat or anything, so my apologies. :(

I am super-bad at posting, evidently.

pssst

That comment was about the people blabbering about pikmin 2 enemies and combat, not that particular ability of blue pikmin.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The reason Pikmin's audio sucked in Dolphin was was because it uses a very old version of the so-dubbed Zelda ucode. Read about it here. It should be near-perfect as of two weeks ago.

The reason Pikmin crashes a lot is because the way Dolphin emulates the communication between the Gamecube's CPU and GPU, by running them in two threads nearly-independently of each other without a lot of actual timing synchronization. Some games expect events to happen in very specific time frames, since that's what happens on real hardware, which can obviously break in emulation. You can make this fully stable by disabling Dual Core, which obviously requires a faster host CPU, or you can enable GPU syncing, which I believe Fae already did after a suggestion earlier in the thread.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Guys, I have the best girlfriend, but most importantly I also have the best amiibo :3:

:kimchi:

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I just realised that his amiibo is actually larger than the actual Olimar and Pikmin are in game. :3:

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
I think I remember only doing so well at this game my first try because I also got a tiny little instruction booklet and had a Nintendo Power subscription so I had guides to follow. That said, I also tended to just solve things by dragging things over to where reds could get at it and then spammed reds until it died.

That said, this is kind of an adorable playthrough because it reminds me of the days when I'd play a game at a friend's house and they knew everything and kinda guided you through it as best they could but weren't really sure of everything themselves, and thus every once in a while their advice would result in something terrible happening and you'd just glare at them before sharing a laugh.

What I'm saying is Fae keep doing your thing and Gnome keep doing your thing because this is just so natural and chill and a neat change of pace. :3:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Faerie Fortune posted:

Guys, I have the best girlfriend, but most importantly I also have the best amiibo :3:

[snip]

:kimchi:

You're wrong because the best Amiibo is Yarn Yoshi. :goonsay:

But Olimar is adorable and your girlfriend seems pretty great. :3:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Aithon posted:

I just realised that his amiibo is actually larger than the actual Olimar and Pikmin are in game. :3:

How long until we get a Pikmin game where you collect amiibo? You scan them in, the amiibo is put somewhere in the world, and then you get a bonus for collecting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Pyroi posted:

you get a bonus for collecting it.

The bonus should be a few special pikmin that are just the amiibo character with a leaf sticking out of their head, that have boosted stats. Scan in enough Amiibo, and you can roll around with the entire cast of Brawl beating up wollywogs! :v:

• Locked thread