Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Danaru posted:

I had a co-worker at my last job who one time stopped working, pulled out his phone, and played the entire brentalfloss video where he sang to the tune of the moon theme from ducktales. He also grinned at me the entire time. Then when it was done he sang it himself while working and looking over at me to try to get me to sing along. He did this because he was talking about 'epic internet videos' and I never heard of brentalfloss.

This is the same coworker who pulled his PSP one time in the middle of work from his back pocket so he could show me his Persona 3 character because I offhand mentioned I played a bit of it on PS2. We worked with food.

I'm so glad I don't work there anymore.

I'm so sorry. :ohdear: Nobody should have to be subjected to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Hey, to add on to the similar games that do things better than Watch_Dergs list, Shadowrun Hong Kong is really drat good, its writing is leagues better and you can totally play as an actually morally ambiguous cyberpunk hacker working to try and solve the possible murder/disappearance of a family member that wasn't borne out of the main character's utter stupidity.

Seriously play Dragonfall and Hong Kong, they are both fantastic RPGs.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Shadowrun Returns series is really great for people who are inherently fans of tabletop RPGs and especially Shadowrun. They're basically good tabletop campaigns transferred to a PC, simple enough for virtually anyone to get a hang of.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

bman in 2288 posted:

This is wrong and I will fight you over it.

Also, who kills a subordinate over a little bit of trivia? Seriously, this is exactly how to not build/run a gang at all. Goddamned writing. It's getting really infuriating to me how many holes each individual mission has. We've gone from a net of conspiracy to a gigantic hole of plot oblivion surrounding Aiden. I'm legit happy I didn't buy this game.

This is actually a main reason people who make drugs do this, whenever they do so. And it's another form of control. Make the labor feel like they have no control, even over what they wear.

I thought it was to prevent theft. they cant hide the coke in their clothes anywhere or some poo poo. its also like you said a form of control.

Anyway. I was on vacation this week and i ended up playing through parts of watchdogs again. I think the biggest problems is that it feels like assassins creed 1 with an even more boring character. A relative asked me about the game and i honestly struggled to say anything positive about it. Aidan is boring at best and lovely at worst. his voice sounds like his really awful head cold and he acts like petty dick to everyone. but unlike Altair, he never has a arc or even character development. I feel like this game going to originally be a hidden modern day assassins creed spin off, but that idea died early in production, which forced them to string a alright plot into many lovely or meh plots.

It also has alot of lovely holdovers from assassins creed one. Big targets can only be "taken down" with a certain weapon. so every strong hold/ convoy have you trying to air smackdown like 5 dudes while all their buddies put rounds into you. but the game clearly shows you can be T2 non leathal and just blow out kneecaps/legs. so why the gently caress cant i do that to the big bad in the gang hideout.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The miracle is that people like either of those things.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Speedball posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PG0rRPAOnc

The coolest thing to come out of Watch_Dogs.

Notably, this guy made this awesome song before the game came out. He was just inspired by what we had been promised and made a really loving cool song that wound up being way better than what we got.
God why couldn't we have played THIS game? :cry: seriously goddamn Miracle of Sound is so loving good.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Just downloaded that song after one listen. :stare: Something good came from Watch_Dogs!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
... are you people being ironic? That song is almost as terrible as the game.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I like the music but the lyrics are pretty bad.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
This is LP, where any bandwagon is piled upon immediately.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

It's certainly no Commander Shephard

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

botany posted:

... are you people being ironic?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I have a soft spot for goofy rock music. See also the Metal Gear Rising soundtrack.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lynx Winters posted:

I like the music but the lyrics are pretty bad.

Yeah the lyrics weren't great. Would have been better had he just made a song without trying to tie the lyrics to the game.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I have a question, I know the Digital Black Out move that powers down all the lights in the city is basically pointless to do but really pretty, do people react the same to it if it's done in the middle of the day

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

The Shadowrun Returns series is really great for people who are inherently fans of tabletop RPGs and especially Shadowrun. They're basically good tabletop campaigns transferred to a PC, simple enough for virtually anyone to get a hang of.
Dead Man's Switch (the original one) is eh and has a pretty bad ending level, I would strongly recommend going straight to Dragonfall or Hong Kong.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

Dead Man's Switch (the original one) is eh and has a pretty bad ending level, I would strongly recommend going straight to Dragonfall or Hong Kong.

A newbie should start with Dragonfall. Hong Kong is great so far, but assumes you've played one of the other campaigns in terms of game systems.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah the lyrics weren't great. Would have been better had he just made a song without trying to tie the lyrics to the game.

It's not as if MoS hadn't done this before. Just look at Higher Tonight! Apart from a mention of purple, there's nothing that really ties it to SR, and in fact I think it could exist on its own merits.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I have a question, I know the Digital Black Out move that powers down all the lights in the city is basically pointless to do but really pretty, do people react the same to it if it's done in the middle of the day

It does, I believe. It's also actually a pretty fantastic skill, because it basically stuns all enemies in the area for a period shortly after its use.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Zereth posted:

I am a big SR fan, but I was pretty disappointed in DMS. Haven't bothered with the others. It's like babby's first X-Com with a decent story, which is good because I suck at X-Com, but bad because I already own X-Com.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Magnetic North posted:

I am a big SR fan, but I was pretty disappointed in DMS. Haven't bothered with the others. It's like babby's first X-Com with a decent story, which is good because I suck at X-Com, but bad because I already own X-Com.
Well, Dragonfall Director's Cut and Hong Kong are much better than Dead Man's Switch, as I noted. Mechanically and plot-wise.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You might want to get Dragonfall first though, as Hong Kong is a little buggy right now.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

It does, I believe. It's also actually a pretty fantastic skill, because it basically stuns all enemies in the area for a period shortly after its use.

It doesn't stun enemies, but it renders them practically blind. I'm sure Chip will show it off at some point, but it basically gives Aiden Stealth Camo.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Speedball posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PG0rRPAOnc

The coolest thing to come out of Watch_Dogs.

Notably, this guy made this awesome song before the game came out. He was just inspired by what we had been promised and made a really loving cool song that wound up being way better than what we got.
I still want to know what happened between that game and the game that was released. Massive Saints Row 3-like rewrites but why?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Croccers posted:

I still want to know what happened between that game and the game that was released. Massive Saints Row 3-like rewrites but why?

They actually had 3 or 4 scripts for Watch Dogs and for some reason just took bits and pieces of each.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

fool_of_sound posted:

I'd buy Kratos' iconic buttflap tho

Pre-order now! and you too can wear the iconic buttflap and "family's ashes" body paint.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Croccers posted:

Probably a lot of behind-the-scenes conflict over the direction of the game, clashes between the writing and gameplay (likely with marketing and other non-development branches of Ubisoft interfering), and miscommunication from changing deadlines and delays until the end result is whatever could be hacked together.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Some of the last few streams are going up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sd6lU2wGr0
Revisiting MGS3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0f8Ds9brwQ
Demo Theater #4: PSU Disc #1

thelordkanchi
Sep 14, 2012
I'm one of the fools who believed the Mission J Frog thing for years. Earlier this year I had a friend of mine marathon through every Metal Gear to get him ready for TPP. I made sure he had a tree frog for the torture scene and I couldn't figure out why there was no eye-patch. I've beaten MGS3 a dozen times but I never bothered to check.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I still believe in Mission J. Frog.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

thelordkanchi posted:

I've beaten MGS3 a dozen times but I never bothered to check.

I totally bought it for this exact reason. I thought "there's no way that he'd carry a frog the whole game for a dumb joke" but I sure as hell wasn't gonna re-play the game and check for myself, so I figured it was the most elaborate easter egg ever.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

These Metal Gear streams have been a fun way to get ready for Phantom Pain

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

TwoPair posted:

I totally bought it for this exact reason. I thought "there's no way that he'd carry a frog the whole game for a dumb joke" but I sure as hell wasn't gonna re-play the game and check for myself, so I figured it was the most elaborate easter egg ever.

Well, it wasn't /totally/ for a dumb joke; you can learn that Volgin is afraid of them, and so throwing a live tree frog out will distract him while he blasts it instead of you, letting you get some free hits on him.

So it was both for a valuable advantage and a dumb joke! The eyepatch was entirely post-editing.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

Well, it wasn't /totally/ for a dumb joke; you can learn that Volgin is afraid of them, and so throwing a live tree frog out will distract him while he blasts it instead of you, letting you get some free hits on him.

So it was both for a valuable advantage and a dumb joke! The eyepatch was entirely post-editing.
Either way Chip Cheezum is now an honorary Kojima for his level of trickery and deceit, he's now to MGS what Dark Id is to Drakengard, an ambassador to the West in wily deceit and merrydom.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What did Dark Id do with Drakengard?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RatHat posted:

The third game is so alike in how he LP'd the previous ones that there is a non-zero amount of goons who believe he had a hand in making it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

The third game is so alike in how he LP'd the previous ones that there is a non-zero amount of goons who believe he had a hand in making it.

That really doesn't make a lot of sense to anyone that wasn't there.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Samizdata posted:

That really doesn't make a lot of sense to anyone that wasn't there.

tdi makes various characters snarky in his lps in order to provide entertainment. drakengard 3's characters were snarky enough already that he barely had to add anything.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Brainamp posted:

tdi makes various characters snarky in his lps in order to provide entertainment. drakengard 3's characters were snarky enough already that he barely had to add anything.

Also he did what any Lper does and complained of the awful designs of those games, then Drakengard 3's protagonist complained about awful game design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

RatHat posted:

I prefer to believe the more realistic scenario in that the writers of Drakengard 3 never played the first two, so they went to the first place they found online to read an LP of them - the Dark Id's LPs. These people then failed to understand that Dark Id was inserting his own dialog at times, and assumed Drakengard was a weird fourth-wall breaking meta sort of odd game.

• Locked thread