Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Flubby posted:

Ocelot seriously does not look like a himself in V. It's the nose mostly. He doesn't have the same thin hook-nose. MGS3 did much better with young Ocelot.

Ocelot's never had an aquiline nose. It's always been kinda wedge-like, even back in MGS3.

And a person's nose (and ears) never stop growing, so it makes sense that it's more prominent now that he's older.

e: Young Ocelot-senpai is so handsome :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

Flubby posted:

Ocelot seriously does not look like a himself in V. It's the nose mostly. He doesn't have the same thin hook-nose. MGS3 did much better with young Ocelot.

he literally looks exactly like grown up young ocelot

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Tomorrow will be the slowest work day ever.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

At roughly 33 hours until I can play Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, I've gone so far past hype that I've circled back into a Zen-like calm. Everything is as it should be, and the passage of time itself will deliver us to paradise, as sure as the sun will rise. I'm currently hovering over a DDR pad while in the lotus position, eyes barely open, posting directly from my spirit via the ethereal plane.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dangerous Person posted:

Tomorrow will be the slowest work day ever.

Unless you work Tuesday...

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Working Tuesday is for bitches.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mokinokaro posted:

That's exactly why I took off Tuesday, haha. If I'd been at work, I would've been in agony all day, chomping at the bit to go home and play it.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I've now done all the side ops in GZ, extracted Glaz, Palitz, six prisoners, found all the XOF patches... I'll do extra ops on Monday and once I find some way to survive work on Monday and Tuesday I'll be fine. Looks like I'll be able to wring out at least ten hours of gameplay out of GZ without poopsocking (PP is the time for poopsocking).

GZ has done a good job of making me very comfortable with the controls and how the game works. I'm ready to take Phantom Pain on.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mokinokaro posted:

Vacation. :)

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I want to know what was Ocelot up to in the 20 years between Snake Eater and Phantom Pain since he's nowhere to be found in Peace Walker

hopefully they expand on that in this game

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

GUI posted:

I've been playing this game for a few days now, and while it's pretty good (it's more Ground Zeroes as everyone expected). There's some things that annoy me:

- Every single time you start a mission you'll have to sit through an unskippable scene of Big Boss in a chopper arriving to the landing zone while Miller/Ocelot talk in the background. This gets very annoying if you're replaying difficulty missions for S-ranks, since if you restart you'll have to watch the briefing scene again.
There's an alternate way of starting missions that skips this, but it's slightly annoying as well: you can accept missions during free roam and rather than taking a chopper it gives you the location of where the landing zone for it would normally be, once you go there by running or driving/using the horse you'll find an ammo cache that refills your items and also serves as the mission start prompt: Ocelot/Miller will start talking while you can freely move around and go to the main mission area, similar to GZ. The negative about this is that if the start of the mission is on the other side of the map you'll have to go all the way there by yourself which is always obnoxious as hell in sandbox games when you just want to continue with the plot.

- I'd say so far this is even weaker than Peace Walker in terms of plot. At least that still had some entertainingly awful anime moments, meanwhile MGSV scraps most (keyword: most. The dialogue in cutscenes still sounds as hammy and forced as ever) of the anime in its story in favour of a more serious sci-fi storyline. I'm 15 primary and 10 secondary missions in and there's been not much of a plot so far and the few cutscenes haven't been too engaging, Big Boss barely says a word during them as well - most of his dialogue is relegated to cassette tapes, though he doesn't talk much in them either . The "primary" missions I'd hardly call most primary either, most are "We've been contracted to kill guy/rescue guy/help guys/destroy thing/etc." with no cutscenes or plotline development, think of the Extra Ops from Peace Walker, with occasionally a mission that continues with the game's plot in traditional MGS fashion.
The secondary missions are usually random checklist things you can do during free roam: steal design documents for Mother Base to develop weapons/items, rescue important NPCs to recruit them, etc. They sometimes continue the main story though, one had me going to a location to rescue Huey. Difference is that unlike Primary ones they don't count as "full" missions (you can usually complete them in 5 minutes tops) and as a result you don't get a rank screen at the end, so you can approach them however you want.

- Checkpoints are pretty bad. Don't be surprised if you end up losing up to 10 minutes of progress if you die or quit mid-game.

- Afghanistan gets extremely dull to look at after the first handful of missions, and knowing there's only one other hub outside Mother Base isn't helping. The environment isn't exactly the kind of place that can remain interesting for 40 hours. And this game sure does love what could be classified as filler/padding missions.

Other than that it's very good. Like I said, it's Ground Zeroes but bigger and with more features. People who are expecting a more traditional MGS experience might be disappointed though.
Nice write up, expectations adjusted accordingly.

(pre-order cancelled)

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

El Hefe posted:

I want to know what was Ocelot up to in the 20 years between Snake Eater and Phantom Pain since he's nowhere to be found in Peace Walker

hopefully they expand on that in this game

Killin' dudes for money

EDIT: Well, really one dude for a lot of money.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Tamayachi posted:

Killin' dudes for money

EDIT: Well, really one dude for a lot of money.

Twirling revolvers
Building his secret Big Boss love lair

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So are we gonna be able to unlock this thing early with VPN trickery or not?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hakkesshu posted:

So are we gonna be able to unlock this thing early with VPN trickery or not?

No.

But, maybe.

lfield
May 10, 2008
Restart Steam, folks.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Intro portion installed on PS4, now downloading the rest of the 26.9 GB.

85 minutes left for the whole thing? Hahaha, no chance in hell.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
Today I have clicked continually the launch icon on my game system of choice all to no avail. Time is immutable

I must become zen within thirty hours before I deserve this game

Join me SomethingAwful posters in pursuit of balance, in becoming worthy of allowing Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain to enter, and by entering to change, our brief bodies and minds

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That's exactly why I took off Tuesday, haha. If I'd been at work, I would've been in agony all day, chomping at the bit to go home and play it.

I'm seriously considering taking a sick day.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

lfield posted:

Restart Steam, folks.

You had me hopin'. :(

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

How laughable, that I turn the first draft of my thesis in tomorrow, that they would accept the final testament of a man before his transformation, into a more perfect form

Change with me, friends

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Saint-X posted:

How laughable, that I turn the first draft of my thesis in tomorrow, that they would accept the final testament of a man before his transformation, into a more perfect form

Change with me, friends

Your dissertation is a proof of your words and your deeds. You should be proud.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

Vanderdeath posted:

Your dissertation is a proof of your words and your deeds. You should be proud.

I am... ashamed

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
If you kill people and nobody sees you, even if people die right next to each other I think, then there's no alert and they don't call for help. So to depopulate / mark everyone in GZ, get the sniper rifle. Kill the dude in the tower closest to you, then kill dudes as they come through the gate. They never ask for reinforcements if they never see you. If you've killed like 30 dudes and there IS an alert, just run away until the alert stops. (or until they lose you?) at which point you can start killing again. Make sure not to kill people in a firefight, as soon as one guy dies they'll call for reinforcements.

turnways posted:

They'll eventually say something like "we don't have any more manpower to spare, you're on your own" when they're calling CP for backup. I think in total each base only has like 50-60 guys, so once you chew through that just take out the cameras and you can wander around without fear of alerts.

Did anyone else have a funny situation in GZ when you walk out with Paz, or when you approach paz, and four loving dudes are clown-car-ing in the boiler room? I've cleared the room, got paz, walked back out of paz's little fenced torture room, and four dudes are waiting for me right there. Also I've approached paz with 4 people there.

If anyone cares about who appears who is actually a new person, when you get Paz: it's: one dude just up the first set of steps, one guy in the little room further up the big set of steps with the camera at the top of them, then the APC.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

lfield posted:

Restart Steam, folks.

E...epic...

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

GUI posted:

Like I said, it's Ground Zeroes but bigger and with more features. People who are expecting a more traditional MGS experience might be disappointed though.

10/10 in my book.

I do hope enough coders remain to fix bugs and improve quality of game-life over time tho.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

lfield posted:

Restart Steam, folks.

You're a bad man.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

redreader posted:

Did anyone else have a funny situation in GZ when you walk out with Paz, or when you approach paz, and four loving dudes are clown-car-ing in the boiler room? I've cleared the room, got paz, walked back out of paz's little fenced torture room, and four dudes are waiting for me right there. Also I've approached paz with 4 people there.

If anyone cares about who appears who is actually a new person, when you get Paz: it's: one dude just up the first set of steps, one guy in the little room further up the big set of steps with the camera at the top of them, then the APC.
There are 4 guards down there if you don't do the Chico-related shift change first. It's supposed to discourage getting Paz first but the four guys are actually pretty easy to take down and two of them will leave after a dialogue.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I remember someone asking about this somewhere, and it might have been here.

If you play with a random DD soldier, you can choose to give them a balaclava.

I'm like 20 hours in and I haven't unlocked gun pimping yet.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Aurain posted:

I remember someone asking about this somewhere, and it might have been here.

If you play with a random DD soldier, you can choose to give them a balaclava.

I'm like 20 hours in and I haven't unlocked gun pimping yet.

IIRC there's a specific side mission or something to 'recruit' a weapons expert, once you have him on your base that's how you get gun pimping.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I just noticed the PS4 icon for Phantom Pain has "A Hideo Kojima game" back on it. I thought it had been removed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think I unlocked that one before I stopped playing and assumed as much, so I'll make sure I do that soon.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Squallege posted:

I just noticed the PS4 icon for Phantom Pain has "A Hideo Kojima game" back on it. I thought it had been removed.

That's what the day one patch will "fix."

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Updated the OP with the GZ transfer thing. We're like 24 hours from playing this, people.

Or 45 if the Steam counter is to be believed :negative:

Machinegunboyo
Apr 26, 2010

life is good

GUI posted:

I've been playing this game for a few days now, and while it's pretty good (it's more Ground Zeroes as everyone expected). There's some things that annoy me:

- Every single time you start a mission you'll have to sit through an unskippable scene of Big Boss in a chopper arriving to the landing zone while Miller/Ocelot talk in the background. This gets very annoying if you're replaying difficulty missions for S-ranks, since if you restart you'll have to watch the briefing scene again.
There's an alternate way of starting missions that skips this, but it's slightly annoying as well: you can accept missions during free roam and rather than taking a chopper it gives you the location of where the landing zone for it would normally be, once you go there by running or driving/using the horse you'll find an ammo cache that refills your items and also serves as the mission start prompt: Ocelot/Miller will start talking while you can freely move around and go to the main mission area, similar to GZ. The negative about this is that if the start of the mission is on the other side of the map you'll have to go all the way there by yourself which is always obnoxious as hell in sandbox games when you just want to continue with the plot.

- I'd say so far this is even weaker than Peace Walker in terms of plot. At least that still had some entertainingly awful anime moments, meanwhile MGSV scraps most (keyword: most. The dialogue in cutscenes still sounds as hammy and forced as ever) of the anime in its story in favour of a more serious sci-fi storyline. I'm 15 primary and 10 secondary missions in and there's been not much of a plot so far and the few cutscenes haven't been too engaging, Big Boss barely says a word during them as well - most of his dialogue is relegated to cassette tapes, though he doesn't talk much in them either . The "primary" missions I'd hardly call most primary either, most are "We've been contracted to kill guy/rescue guy/help guys/destroy thing/etc." with no cutscenes or plotline development, think of the Extra Ops from Peace Walker, with occasionally a mission that continues with the game's plot in traditional MGS fashion.
The secondary missions are usually random checklist things you can do during free roam: steal design documents for Mother Base to develop weapons/items, rescue important NPCs to recruit them, etc. They sometimes continue the main story though, one had me going to a location to rescue Huey. Difference is that unlike Primary ones they don't count as "full" missions (you can usually complete them in 5 minutes tops) and as a result you don't get a rank screen at the end, so you can approach them however you want.

- Checkpoints are pretty bad. Don't be surprised if you end up losing up to 10 minutes of progress if you die or quit mid-game.

- Afghanistan gets extremely dull to look at after the first handful of missions, and knowing there's only one other hub outside Mother Base isn't helping. The environment isn't exactly the kind of place that can remain interesting for 40 hours. And this game sure does love what could be classified as filler/padding missions.

Other than that it's very good. Like I said, it's Ground Zeroes but bigger and with more features. People who are expecting a more traditional MGS experience might be disappointed though.

I agree with you completely but the weird thing is that the game is really enjoyable and fun despite all of those flaws. Personally I quite like the slow pacing of the plot, and the fact there doesn't seem to be one at times, but yeah I hope eventually poo poo starts ramping up. Also I'm curious about one thing, where exactly did you fight Quiet? I was impressed at how that battle happened at 'random' and was wondering if it can take place at different locations on the map

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

Updated the OP with the GZ transfer thing. We're like 24 hours from playing this, people.

Or 45 if the Steam counter is to be believed :negative:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Ruddha posted:

he literally looks exactly like grown up young ocelot

ocelot would be the coolest dad

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Non-spoiler impressions are cool and people who already got this game should post them here. It would hopefully save this thread from more lovely derails.

It shows 1 day and 21 hours for me. Hope it's wrong.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Terminally Bored posted:

It shows 1 day and 21 hours for me. Hope it's wrong.

Same here :(

We should brainstorm up ideas for passing the time. Besides posting in this thread.

• Locked thread