Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

nvining posted:

You've convinced me. I'm reprogramming the workshop code to do this for 42B and we'll see what happens.

This is really great, developers listening to players. I hope it works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Darkhold posted:

I've said it before but you are awesome.

Next thing on my wishlist is adding a resource bin to the metalworker. Instead of making a piece of charcoal walking all the way out to the stockpile setting it down so they can turn around and pick it back up to make the bar it'd be great if they had a bin you can add filters to in the actual workshop. Make a piece of charcoal do a check to see if the bin is empty and accepts charcoal and then chuck it in there.

It'd be good for any workshop that has multi-part recipes but it really feels like the smithy needs that. You could even go really crazy and make 'stock bin' part of your storage code and have idle workers going around putting ores and raw food in bins.

Edit: I dunno if you'd want a general bin that accepts everything the shop needs with filters or specific bins like coal/ore/vegetable/meat so you have to make larger buildings so there's a space/goods trade off. Anyway something to think about and I hope you find a good idea.

I always wish in these sorts of games you could totally dissociate processing and hauling. Unskilled manual labourers drop off raw materials at a workshop where the skilled workers process it and place it in a pile at the workshop to be picked up and moved to storage by haulers. Some games you can kind of hack it with alot of small stockpiles and filters, but it's always a pain. It's just always seemed wrong to me that a skilled position like a blacksmith will wander all the way across your settlement to the mine to pick up one block of ore then tramp all the way back just to process it for 10 seconds. You end up with your skilled workforce doing basic hauling 90% of the time, and even with a good stockpile layout you are very hard put to achieve even 50/50 hauling and processing.

This is maybe getting a little beyond scope but what would be super cool is if you had some kind of apprentice social class. An apprentice assigned to a work crew would first try to stock all the input bins and empty all the output bins before doing any process tasks, whereas a normal worker would do it the other way around. Meanwhile generic haulers would first gather lose raw materials into stockpiles, then try to empty output bins and finally fill input bins if there is nothing else to do.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

nvining posted:

How is this any different from, say, the Dwarf Fortress or Rimworld models? Just because we have a ganged work party? Not trying to be snippy here, just trying to understand the problem.

I remember when you were doing pre-alpha stuff and you had a big thing about pipes. My mind instantly went to minecraft tech mods. It would be cool if you treated the individual work stations inside a workshop as workshops that can be given orders individually. Production line factories is an important part of the victorian age theme and I want to be able to set a workshop with an advanced set of orders. 3 crucibles producing iron and steel and two smiths producing guns from those products all working alongside each other, the challenge coming from how you optimize it.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
Okay, the workshop change is in, and it feels good. So we'll ship it and we'll see if people love it or hate it or whatever.

Darkhold posted:

I've said it before but you are awesome.

Next thing on my wishlist is adding a resource bin to the metalworker. Instead of making a piece of charcoal walking all the way out to the stockpile setting it down so they can turn around and pick it back up to make the bar it'd be great if they had a bin you can add filters to in the actual workshop. Make a piece of charcoal do a check to see if the bin is empty and accepts charcoal and then chuck it in there.

It'd be good for any workshop that has multi-part recipes but it really feels like the smithy needs that. You could even go really crazy and make 'stock bin' part of your storage code and have idle workers going around putting ores and raw food in bins.

Edit: I dunno if you'd want a general bin that accepts everything the shop needs with filters or specific bins like coal/ore/vegetable/meat so you have to make larger buildings so there's a space/goods trade off. Anyway something to think about and I hope you find a good idea.

The vague, tentative plan at some point is to have a destination stockpile for workshop commodities, which can be either inside, or outside the workshop where people will try to put things first. Might try to get that in for Rev 43 at some point, because I've already ripped the entire mess of stockpile code to pieces anyhow I may as well finish the job.

Demiurge4 posted:

I remember when you were doing pre-alpha stuff and you had a big thing about pipes. My mind instantly went to minecraft tech mods. It would be cool if you treated the individual work stations inside a workshop as workshops that can be given orders individually. Production line factories is an important part of the victorian age theme and I want to be able to set a workshop with an advanced set of orders. 3 crucibles producing iron and steel and two smiths producing guns from those products all working alongside each other, the challenge coming from how you optimize it.

As it happens, it should actually do that automatically, because the crucibles and the smelting units do different things. So with the new workshop assignment code, if you have the following assignments in order:

1. Make guns
2. Make steel
3. Smelt iron

Assuming no iron is available, your overseer will smelt the iron. Then, since iron is available, they will make the steel; then, finally, they will make the gun. Then, no iron is available. So they will smelt the iron...

Pharnakes posted:

This is maybe getting a little beyond scope but what would be super cool is if you had some kind of apprentice social class. An apprentice assigned to a work crew would first try to stock all the input bins and empty all the output bins before doing any process tasks, whereas a normal worker would do it the other way around. Meanwhile generic haulers would first gather lose raw materials into stockpiles, then try to empty output bins and finally fill input bins if there is nothing else to do.

Just have a work crew dedicated to hauling, or a pool of unassigned labourers. They should all haul by default.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

nvining posted:

As it happens, it should actually do that automatically, because the crucibles and the smelting units do different things. So with the new workshop assignment code, if you have the following assignments in order:

1. Make guns
2. Make steel
3. Smelt iron

Assuming no iron is available, your overseer will smelt the iron. Then, since iron is available, they will make the steel; then, finally, they will make the gun. Then, no iron is available. So they will smelt the iron...

Cool, great stuff. I still think you're selling things a bit short though. I'd like to be able to assign a specific stockpile to a workshop (just outside) and specify the minimum stocks for that specific stockpile and allow other stockpiles to take from it. So let's say workshop #1 is set up with a ton of crucibles and basically produce lots and lots of iron and steel. The workshops assigned stockpile is set to a minimum of 10 iron and 5 steel and they will continue to work as long as the stockpile has less. Across town I have workshop #2 that specializes in producing guns, they have their own output stockpile but they also maintain an input stockpile with a minimum setting for 6 steel and 4 iron. This stockpile pulls from workshop #1's output stockpile and a third work team assigned to hauling will attempt to keep it stocked, depleting the first workshops output stockpile and allowing them to continue working. I may even assign other industries to pull from workshop #1's output in order to keep them working full time.

This would be the ideal system for stock management and work orders. And to go back to my comment about pipes, it'd be cool if you created an output/input item inside the workshop that pulls/pushes from and to the stockpile outside. So when a worker pulls a piece of steel out of the crucible he just walks to the left and tosses it into the output slot and it gets deposited outside! :eng101:

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

nvining posted:

Okay, the workshop change is in, and it feels good. So we'll ship it and we'll see if people love it or hate it or whatever.

The vague, tentative plan at some point is to have a destination stockpile for workshop commodities, which can be either inside, or outside the workshop where people will try to put things first. Might try to get that in for Rev 43 at some point, because I've already ripped the entire mess of stockpile code to pieces anyhow I may as well finish the job.
Great to hear

quote:

1. Make guns
2. Make steel
3. Smelt iron

Just have a work crew dedicated to hauling, or a pool of unassigned labourers. They should all haul by default.
Another good quality of life addition would be to put an extra button next to multi-part items that when you toggle it the worker checks and makes all the required items automatically. Probably not an alpha addition but this is something that players always appreciate (or mod in if not present in the final game).

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
These guys are the best devs, because they listen to the players. Now if they would only give me my full haberdashery...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I am convinced the shako and bicorn hats of our soldiers have mistakenly be dropped off by airship to some very confused farm at the edge of the Empire instead of our colony. Along with you know, the artillery.

Also, is it me or does anyone have difficulty in persuading our colonists to hunt now? especially those famine creating crop eating giant beatles?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

SeanBeansShako posted:

I am convinced the shako and bicorn hats of our soldiers have mistakenly be dropped off by airship to some very confused farm at the edge of the Empire instead of our colony. Along with you know, the artillery.

Also, is it me or does anyone have difficulty in persuading our colonists to hunt now? especially those famine creating crop eating giant beatles?

I always tell my military to do the hunting. And whichever overseer has big game ambitions. The beetles can rock your world though, so you gotta manually hunt them. Never had any problems with my minions carrying out my orders though.

Edit: We really do need more shakos though. Big Elenough to make a Morporkian quake in their cheap boots.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oddly enough the command isn't getting through for me. I got so deperate I turned HEY GUYS YOU CAN GO HUNTING for all my overseer parties. Plus weapons are all over the place due to several foreign and bandit attacks.

I click spammed those commands multiple times, but soldiers hanging around armed blissfully watched as the giant beatles consumed the life giving cabbages and corn.

Hunting does happen still, but strangely enough only the giant rear end beatles escape the process. Eventually a non soldier colonist gets around to shooting or stabbing them.

Also, I think the Barracks system is an interesting idea. I look forward to it being built up on in the future.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
If you are having trouble with beetles, built short gabions halfway around your farms, with the open side towards a building. Beetles tend to stop at gabions and stare.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Might try that in the future, that sounds pretty awesome.

Also, looking forward to the eventual appearince of tophats, bowler hats and flatcaps for the colonists while we're talking hats.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Today on the blog, ART IS PAIN.

https://www.gaslampgames.com/2015/08/26/art-is-pain-marketing-for-queen-empire/

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oddly enough the command isn't getting through for me. I got so deperate I turned HEY GUYS YOU CAN GO HUNTING for all my overseer parties. Plus weapons are all over the place due to several foreign and bandit attacks.

I click spammed those commands multiple times, but soldiers hanging around armed blissfully watched as the giant beatles consumed the life giving cabbages and corn.

Hunting does happen still, but strangely enough only the giant rear end beatles escape the process. Eventually a non soldier colonist gets around to shooting or stabbing them.

Also, I think the Barracks system is an interesting idea. I look forward to it being built up on in the future.

Hunting doesn't appear to occur at night - I assume whatever script is telling the colonists 'it's dark, time to slack off and go eat' is also affecting hunting behavour. An unfortunate consequence of this is that Ravenous Herds that arrive at dusk, or at night, can demolish your crops without opposition.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Alpha 42B, which contains the aforementioned workshop changes as well as a bunch of other stuff, has now hit the Experimental Build. Changelog here: https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/alpha-42b-now-in-experimental-branch.16231/#post-105758

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

nvining posted:

Alpha 42B, which contains the aforementioned workshop changes as well as a bunch of other stuff, has now hit the Experimental Build. Changelog here: https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/alpha-42b-now-in-experimental-branch.16231/#post-105758

quote:

FIXED: error when Fishperson would attempt to talk to a piece of human flesh

Should have left that in. Fisherson Hamlet with human chunks instead of Yorick's Skull.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Geokinesis posted:

Should have left that in. Fisherson Hamlet with human chunks instead of Yorick's Skull.

Think of it from the programmer's perspective. Fishperson Hamlet decided to talk to the piece of human flesh because, as far as the game logic was concerned, there was no difference between the piece of human flesh and an entire human.

The philosophy is staggering!

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Ran into this twice now on early colonies just starting out. I get an error that says something like work string error and the person gets locked into cooking a steak for eternity.

Just FYI. I guess steak is off the menu. Had two people lock up in one game and started over and had it happen in the second game.Both times I had steak as high on the list of things I wanted the kitchen to produce.

Going to verify my cache and see if it happens again.

Edit: third time

Error:String 'fsm support' :92 FSM.State error hit update citizen

Double Edit: alright I'm fairly sure this is a bug as well. My naturalists haven't found any nodes other than rough stone block. Happened in my other two games but I didn't think anything of it as I quit out of them early because of the kitchen bug. This game I've had about 12 stone block nodes and nothing else. They were running about 4+ on the first two attempts when I quit them.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 28, 2015

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Is there a good example for your first colony? The in-game tutorial does a good job of helping me get comfortable with the interface, but organizing my colony, building stuff, and actually playing the game is leaving me pretty confused.

Buildings have me most confused. I can make a low class bunkhouse or whatever, but how do I order more of those built beyond laboriously etching another from scratch?

nvining
May 30, 2011

Darkhold posted:

Ran into this twice now on early colonies just starting out. I get an error that says something like work string error and the person gets locked into cooking a steak for eternity.

Just FYI. I guess steak is off the menu. Had two people lock up in one game and started over and had it happen in the second game.Both times I had steak as high on the list of things I wanted the kitchen to produce.

Going to verify my cache and see if it happens again.

Edit: third time

Error:String 'fsm support' :92 FSM.State error hit update citizen

Double Edit: alright I'm fairly sure this is a bug as well. My naturalists haven't found any nodes other than rough stone block. Happened in my other two games but I didn't think anything of it as I quit out of them early because of the kitchen bug. This game I've had about 12 stone block nodes and nothing else. They were running about 4+ on the first two attempts when I quit them.

I think I know what broke here. We may hotfix 42B to 42C, depending how bad this is.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well I can't play because the world is stone.

The steak thing can be ignored but there's no getting around the lack of minerals.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Yeahhh, that one was removed from the oven before it was totally baked. 42C is now up:

https://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/alpha-42c-now-on-steam-experimental-branch.16242/

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Coolguye posted:

Is there a good example for your first colony? The in-game tutorial does a good job of helping me get comfortable with the interface, but organizing my colony, building stuff, and actually playing the game is leaving me pretty confused.

Buildings have me most confused. I can make a low class bunkhouse or whatever, but how do I order more of those built beyond laboriously etching another from scratch?

Each building has to be built from scratch. You can place more than one module by shift-clicking when you place them, which should make things a tiny bit easier.

If you can get over the blatant self-promotion, I make videos. Warning: you'll have to listen to me talk a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvFfYpq99U

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Don't do it. It's It's a trap! You will never escape his voice again!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Don't do it. It's It's a trap! You will never escape his voice again!

i'm ok w/this

e: especially because you have a KoDP avatar

ee: yep that voice is p sexy

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Zaardvark posted:

Each building has to be built from scratch. You can place more than one module by shift-clicking when you place them, which should make things a tiny bit easier.

If you can get over the blatant self-promotion, I make videos. Warning: you'll have to listen to me talk a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvFfYpq99U

Thanks for posting your video here. It got me a lot more interested in this game. :)

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

SinineSiil posted:

Thanks for posting your video here. It got me a lot more interested in this game. :)

You're welcome! Think of it as a monthly newspaper - just watch the most recent ones, and throw the old ones away.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Just a quick suggestion reguarding the UI, can the flatten ground marker be a different colour to the unexplored resource marker in the future when you can do it?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

So I continue to struggle a bit with the overall ethos and organization of the game. My reaction, when I start a game, is to build a house for each one of my Overseers and my NCO (since they're all basically middle class) and then a couple of workshops for common use. This is a pretty onerous task both to get set up and to build it out, though, so I feel like I'm doing something seriously wrong and just not 'getting' the game.

Could I bother folks for a run-down of how they try to handle the first, say, 5 days?

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Coolguye posted:

So I continue to struggle a bit with the overall ethos and organization of the game. My reaction, when I start a game, is to build a house for each one of my Overseers and my NCO (since they're all basically middle class) and then a couple of workshops for common use. This is a pretty onerous task both to get set up and to build it out, though, so I feel like I'm doing something seriously wrong and just not 'getting' the game.

Could I bother folks for a run-down of how they try to handle the first, say, 5 days?

Niceties like a roof or a bed are less immediately pressing than food and the ability to produce building materials - colonists will not die from uncomfortable sleep, but they will certainly starve to death. Housing is actually a bit of a luxury for when you have the resources to spare. This is how my games generally begin:

1) Arrive in untamed wilderness. Some colonists may be struck on the head by supply crates.
2) Immediately plan out a Carpentry Workshop with a Carpentry Workbench inside. Practically everything needs the planks it produces.
3) Designate a patch of ground as a stockpile. Designate a cluster of trees to be chopped down for lumber. Most structures require either raw logs or planks.
4) Draw out a moderately-size Kitchen, containing at least two Stone Ovens. Designate the nearest stony outcrop to be quarried for Raw Stone Block, used to construct the stoves.
5) Draw a small (4x5) plot for farming. I suggest cabbage as your first crop.
6) As Workshops complete, start assigning Work Crews to work there. Crews to turn logs into planks, and to cook cabbage into stew. The stone ovens require both planks and stone blocks, so they're a good early example of a supply chain.
7) Then and only then, consider building housing and beds for your colonists. I suggest one big Lower Class House that contains three or four cots spaced every other row.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

SinineSiil posted:

Yeah I've been playing Rimworld but this seems a lot more up my alley. I also like the paradox-esque random event screens.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just a quick suggestion reguarding the UI, can the flatten ground marker be a different colour to the unexplored resource marker in the future when you can do it?
The marker isn't that big of a deal IMO I just hope they do a color code when you're placing the mine showing what (discovered) minerals are where.

nvining
May 30, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Sure, I'll make myself a ticket. And getting a better display for minerology has been on my TODO list for a long time now (a couple of months, anyhow.)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Thanks guys, keep up the good work.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Besides a few UI things, the only suggestion I could make is to change the marker colours for mining locations. I've found it hard to find mining spots after my guys clear the above ground nodes as the marker itself usually blends into the background. I don't think making them darker would help or changing the colour. They need to glow or something like those green gem things above Sims so you can pick them out quickly.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Stretch Marx posted:

Besides a few UI things, the only suggestion I could make is to change the marker colours for mining locations. I've found it hard to find mining spots after my guys clear the above ground nodes as the marker itself usually blends into the background. I don't think making them darker would help or changing the colour. They need to glow or something like those green gem things above Sims so you can pick them out quickly.

I made this suggestion over on the Official forums, but Naturalists are filing all their reports at the local office, right? Let's use those standing desks, and read those survey reports. Maybe a clickable text list of explored nodes.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Stretch Marx posted:

Well, I'm definitely interested in the UI things as well. Let's hear 'em!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Will my artisans use their seated desks instead of standing desks if I put them in the shops?

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

nvining posted:

You've convinced me. I'm reprogramming the workshop code to do this for 42B and we'll see what happens.

I've been keeping tabs on this game for a while, this made me buy it; gotta love this kind of developer commitment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

It's been several dozen revisions since the last time I played this game, and the progress since then has been pretty goddamn awesome. I've run multiple colonies for 20+ days without crashes or save file corruption, been able to dick around with the majority of the workshops and poo poo, it's great!

I would however like to be able to replace NCOs by some means other than (I assume anyway, I have yet to have this happen) good immigration luck. In my very first game, my NCO was Doomed from the start and actually the only colonist to be killed in three weeks, and in the next game my NCO formed a work crew which had a military name, but refused to wear a uniform, take rally point orders, or fight when all of the nearby bandit camps raided me at once. She did get good at cooking, though, before her death. Anyway thread, please tell me that I'm overlooking something obvious!

Overall, really encouraging leaps were made in the last several months and CE is hella fun to play on its own merits, now. Also poo poo like this

nvining posted:

is always, as others have said, loving awesome to see.

• Locked thread