Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Your neighborhood lover of PUZZLES and PURE NONSENSE!

Welcome to my first Let's Play! I'll be playing the original 1986/7 Legend of Zelda, but rather than play it normally, I'll be playing it randomized.

Randomized? What do you mean by that?
On March 14, 2015, someone by the name of Fred Coughlin released a utility called Zelda Randomizer that lets you feed a Zelda 1 rom into it and it will spit out a new rom where different things are different.

What kind of things?
You can specify what kind of things are randomized. Some of these things include cave locations, item locations, enemy locations. It won't change the layout of the overworld or the general shapes of the dungeons, but from what it can change, it makes for some interesting changes.

What's the point of this LP then?
I want to show off how this utility can breathe new life into such an old game. I aim to do a few runs with different settings enabled to show just how a few subtle changes in placement can greatly change the order in which things need to be done.

What if I haven't played the original Legend of Zelda?
I suggest that you go play it before watching this LP. I know the layouts of this game like the back of my hand and tend to speed directly to where I need to go and not wander around like someone who would be playing the game their first time. Certain aspects of the LP and the randomized nature of these runs might be a little weird if you have never actually played the original Legend of Zelda.

So, should I expect perfect runs in this LP?
Lord no. I know the general layouts of the game, but I'm not an absolute expert at actually playing the game. I will get lost and die occasionally, especially in the later runs in which any enemy can appear on the overworld and all the caves are randomized. That being said, I'm not an absolute novice so I won't be flailing around willy-nilly.

Is there anything else I should know?
After I finish a run or two, I'm going to let you people decide what the next run would be. I'll let you all decide how you want to see me suffer see how the next runs go so I'll be asking for things like which quest you would want to see, what kind of settings you want to see enabled (these can be seen here , and other things as well. I'll also occasionally go over strange quirks about the way the original Legend of Zelda works.

Enough chatter. Let's get onto the LP itself!

Run 1: Preset: Dischord (Seed: 1122334455)
Here is what changes in the Dischord Preset:
  • Shuffled caves, dungeon items, shop items, ladder heart, white sword location, dungeon drops, dungeon rooms, overworld monsters, dungeon monsters, and others
  • Changes number of hearts needed for the various swords
  • Changes where secrets under Armos Knights are located.
  • Recorder warps to new dungeon locations
  • Adds extra blue candles

Episode 1: A good introduction to Zelda Randomizer. (i.e. I beat one level, explore other ones, and aimlessly run around looking for anything resembling progress.) EDIT:Now with louder sound.
Episode 2: Door repairs, items that make the game easy, and Gohmas who couldn't care less about things like solid objects.
Episode 3: Well that was abrupt... Note: Sound is off. Should be fixed soon. Sound is fixed.

Run 2: Preset: Mass Hysteria (Seed: 1324354657687980) [ABANDONED]
Here is what changes in the Mass Hysteria Preset:
  • All the shuffling of the Dischord preset with the addition of shuffled warp points and starting sword cave.
  • Level 9 no longer requires having all 8 triforce pieces to enter
  • Ganon must be killed in order to rescue Zelda
  • Dungeon start spots are randomized and enemies and bosses within them are also randomized.
  • Viewer requests: Helpful Hints, Mixed Quest Overworld, Random Character

Episode 4: Wizards have no sense of right, wrong, direction, or hitboxes.
Episode 5: Zelda Randomizer can be a real rear end in a top hat.

Run 3: Preset: Mass Hysteria (Seed: 1357924680)
Same as Run 2, but with the addition of a new mechanic added to the new version of Zelda Randomizer and the loss of helpful hints due to me forgetting...

Episode 6: Let's try this again...
Episode 7: We might actually make it this time!
Episode 8: Dodongos are weird, yo.

Hope you enjoy!

Lolo De Puzlo fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I'll check out the video a little later tonight. Should be interesting, I've wanted to see a randomizer run since it got mentioned at SGDQ this year.

Now someone start an SSLP Pokemon Randomizer thread.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
You've got really low audio again for some reason. The intro part is lower than when you actually start playing the game, also. If I had to solve that problem quickly and easily I think you should normalize your audio track or something.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Cheez posted:

You've got really low audio again for some reason. The intro part is lower than when you actually start playing the game, also. If I had to solve that problem quickly and easily I think you should normalize your audio track or something.

Hmm, I specifically checked to make sure that wasn't the case. I think my sound card was boosting my audio without me realizing it. I'll see if I can fix it.
Edit: Yep, that was the case. Didn't realize that my sound card was automatically boosting my volume. I should be able to fix that.
I'm uploading a new version now with improved sound. I'll edit the main post when it is up.

Lolo De Puzlo fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 23, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
FYI, at around 16:43 you had sped things up since you were wandering... but forgot that you were talking during the middle of it. Two sections of dialogue got sped the hell up.

Fun to watch though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, there were a few parts with sped-up commentary. That was certainly something.

The dungeons get kinda reminiscent of Binding of Isaac this way.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The Legend of Link paying for broken doors that weren't there.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

SelenicMartian posted:

The Legend of Link paying for broken doors that weren't there.

I feel like the randomizer should account for which entrances are hidden and which ones are just open doors.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I'm not sure how often you're going to be speeding up the videos, but I think what might be a simple/nice touch for those bits would be to overlay some music instead of the game audio slightly muted. This LP did a pretty good job of using that effectively: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWPyxu3NHGs&t=1m20s

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
As a big LoZ fan, really enjoying the randomization. Definitely will be following this LP.

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004
...but.this.phone.is. always.off.it's.hook...
Since you're technically playing this blind every time, you might want to consider recording commentary in post. It would cut down on having to figure out things to say while simultaneously trying to figure out where the hell you're going. Also, the audio is still pretty low, but tolerable, and yea, you have yourself sped up for a good portion of that haha. Recording in post would also you to speed up parts while talking at normal speed too.

Apart from that, it all looks interesting. There were a couple parts where I had "uhh what" moments, like fighting that dragon guy over some stairs in the first dungeon. And this is from a preset? Ohh boy this is going to get weird.

I also don't understand why you got so conservative with your arrows when you had a ton of rupees.

K-ParAdoX fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 24, 2015

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Regarding the commentary when sped up, I thought the commentary that was sped up was more banter than anything important so I figured that not much would be missed. I also thought about putting music over the sped up parts, but I didn't know if that was considered annoying or not, so I might do that in later updates. I also do live commentary as I feel that my post commentary feels too wooden. Maybe now that I know the software I'm using a little better, maybe next video I'll try post commentary again.

I might also switch the microphone I'm using as the one I was using (Blue Snowball) is really quiet even at the highest volume. Again, that's something to experiment with.

quote:

Apart from that, it all looks interesting. There were a couple parts where I had "uhh what" moments, like fighting that dragon guy over some stairs in the first dungeon. And this is from a preset? Ohh boy this is going to get weird.
Wait til I find Dodongos.Those thing have only a partial understanding of how water works.
And yes. It does indeed get weirder.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

What was the key trick you mentioned in level 1?

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

CirclMastr posted:

What was the key trick you mentioned in level 1?

It only really applies in Level 1 of the First Quest in the original game. But with the Randomizer, it can be done in any dungeon where the top door of the first room is locked.
When you walk into a dungeon that has the top door locked, if you immediately walk out of the dungeon and back in, it will unlock the door without a key.
It also sometimes works if there is a bombable wall in the first room, but only on the sides or something I'm not totally sure.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lolo De Puzlo posted:

Regarding the commentary when sped up, I thought the commentary that was sped up was more banter than anything important so I figured that not much would be missed. I also thought about putting music over the sped up parts, but I didn't know if that was considered annoying or not, so I might do that in later updates.

I don't think it's so much a matter of missing any important commentary as being weird to listen to someone talking in fast-forward for a decent amount of time. I'd vote for just replacing the sound in this sections with music, it's just less distracting.

In any case, I'm pretty intrigued by this. I'd never heard of the project, and it's nice to see some coding that is at least slightly intelligent in its implementation, rather than just making everything completely random and hoping that the dungeons are still solvable.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

This seems like a cool concept, but I don't know how you're actually supposed to complete the game when necessary items can be located literally anywhere.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

oldskool posted:

This seems like a cool concept, but I don't know how you're actually supposed to complete the game when necessary items can be located literally anywhere.

The original Zelda is much less item/obstacle centered than later entries. The only items that would be a problem are the ladder (which he mentioned had special coding), blue candle (which is everywhere now), and the raft.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

oldskool posted:

The randomization algorithm is smart enough to never place an item in a spot where it would be unobtainable. You might have to level hop in order to find a needed item which might mean you have to go to a harder level like 6 or 8 under equipped, but the game will never be unwinnable.

I've probably played about 10 different randomization and never had one where it is impossible. Annoying? Oh yeah, especially if you do 2nd or Mixed Quest runs. But never impossible.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Zelda 1 just allows you to buy extra keys, right? And they're interchangeable among dungeons. So you'll never run out of those either.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

It's new episode time!

Episode 2: Door repairs, items that make the game easy, and Gohmas who couldn't care less about things like solid objects.

If you were confused on what I was talking about with the Darknuts, here is a graphic by Lackattack24, taken from the awesome Zelda 1 and 2 site, https://redcandle.us (Hover over the spoiler to see)

Lolo De Puzlo fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Aug 29, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Strange moblins living under bushes distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

How does the recorder work in this version - is it updated to travel to the actual randomized dungeon location?

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

How does the recorder work in this version - is it updated to travel to the actual randomized dungeon location?

You can set it up to warp to the old dungeon locations or the new dungeon locations. Pretty much every preset that randomizes caves except for Standard Race warps to new dungeons.
It's also possible to set up the Power Bracelet fast travel warps to new locations which usually ends up glitching the map in odd ways that don't break the game, but make it look real weird.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I have the magical sword, 14 heart containers, and all but three Triforce pieces. But I can't find the bow, ladder, or raft, so I'm locked out of the back half of most dungeons. And the power bracelet isn't in its normal place so I have no idea where it is.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

CirclMastr posted:

I have the magical sword, 14 heart containers, and all but three Triforce pieces. But I can't find the bow, ladder, or raft, so I'm locked out of the back half of most dungeons. And the power bracelet isn't in its normal place so I have no idea where it is.

If you are playing a preset that has the Shuffle Armos Knights enabled, it will shuffle not only what would be underneath the Armos Knight, but also which Armos Knight the secret is under. For example, in the run I'm showcasing, the Power Bracelet was in the same room, but underneath the top left Armos Knight rather than the top right one. So, if it isn't underneath any of the Armos Knights in that room. Go to areas where there would be something hidden under an Armos Knight.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Wow--never knew that about the bombs in Zelda before! This new update was great - definitely a step up from the first one. I'm loving the quirks/history stuff (palettes, bomb behavior, etc.).

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

That Magic of Sherazade Music. :allears:

I would not mind a good heavy edited video LP of that game too.

Really improved on the second video, looking forward to the rest. :3:

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

SystemLogoff posted:

Yeah; I think I've been waiting for years...

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

SystemLogoff posted:

Really improved on the second video, looking forward to the rest. :3:

I might have to put that on my future LP list. It's such a great game and I haven't played it in a while.

Anyway, I did a little poking around with the current seed and realized that I will definitely conclude the run next level. So, in anticipation of the next run, I want to know what you all want to see.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8FCGYFF

Here's a survey to let me know what you want.

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004
...but.this.phone.is. always.off.it's.hook...
I took your survey. It's mine now.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I filled out the survey and have no idea what I have subjected to you. Sorry in advance.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I'm reasonably certain I picked the choices that will be most entertaining. Wizard Quest, yo!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Finally, my dreams of an LP involving a deceptive, spooky mummy are nearing fruition.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Having played other games' randomizers before, I think I took it easy on you because I can only imagine what this thing is capable of in terms of pain and suffering.

Lolo De Puzlo
Aug 7, 2013

Well, from the results so far, it seems that people have actually chosen to be somewhat kind.

What I can definitely tell so far is that a good majority of you want to see a mixed quest overworld.
Also, a warning for those who are thinking about the Madness preset, I thought the Madness was a different one then the one it is.
All it does is randomize the caves while forcing a Swordless run. I don't think you want that for a few reasons.
1) I suck at Swordless runs
2) Just randomizing the caves is kinda boring.
3) There are videos of Swordless runs that show off how to do it far better than I can.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Lolo De Puzlo posted:

Well, from the results so far, it seems that people have actually chosen to be somewhat kind.

What I can definitely tell so far is that a good majority of you want to see a mixed quest overworld.
Also, a warning for those who are thinking about the Madness preset, I thought the Madness was a different one then the one it is.
All it does is randomize the caves while forcing a Swordless run. I don't think you want that for a few reasons.
1) I suck at Swordless runs
2) Just randomizing the caves is kinda boring.
3) There are videos of Swordless runs that show off how to do it far better than I can.

I voted mass hysteria so don't look at me!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I voted Madness expecting it was a middle-ground in terms of randomization. If it's a poo poo swordless preset then I'd say feel free to choose another one.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

Lolo De Puzlo posted:

That's okay, I didn't know what you thought it did when I voted for it! Also I didn't know what it did when I voted for it. To be honest I just voted for whatever sounded cool without knowing what any of it meant. If you think that option would be unfun, don't do it on my account.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Lolo De Puzlo posted:

All it does is randomize the caves while forcing a Swordless run.

Ew.

How does it force a swordless run? Does it just not put any of the swords in game, or does it gate being able to use the swords behind having all of the heart containers? You can't beat Ganon without a sword, so it's not like they can just not place the swords. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

RickVoid posted:

Ew.

How does it force a swordless run? Does it just not put any of the swords in game, or does it gate being able to use the swords behind having all of the heart containers? You can't beat Ganon without a sword, so it's not like they can just not place the swords. :psyduck:

According to the website, it removes the white and magic swords entirely, and moves the wooden sword to the room before Gannon.

• Locked thread