Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can someone help me out with a Mission 20 thing?
How do I extract the boss? I stun him with water and try to extract him but Mantis always pops the balloon. Is it even possible?
I can't figure out how to stun or distract Mantis himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mokinokaro posted:

Though he does do separate voices for Snake and Big Boss. The two sound a lot more distinct than Hayter's versions.

Yep. Hayter certainly tried that a little in SE, but it wasn't muuch of a difference and his voice kind of got shot after that anyway.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Now I'm wondering if there's a dumb Easter Egg if at the beginning of TPP, you name yourself Vernon CaTaffy.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's not a bad game. I wouldn't even say it's a mediocre one. But I don't think it deserves the 9/10 or 10/10 it's been getting. To me it's a solid 8 at most, perhaps even a bit lower just because of how the story irritates me. Which has nothing to do with the concept of the twist itself (I like the idea of it), but the really shoddy execution of it.

I have a feeling I'm going to have the same opinion when I finally get my hands on it. Plays like a dream but the story falls way short.

I agree with you on the twist. I hated it when I found out, but the more I think about it I kind of like it, and the story really could have worked if they had framed it more as this incredibly horrible thing BB did. Have the reveal earlier and focus on just how drat evil it is that BB is doing the thing he hates, yet maybe even worse since LET isn't erasing a grown man's entire life to use him as a meat shield. At least the clones had their own lives.

Idk, something like that. As it is it just feels like BB did a hosed up thing he doesn't get any heat for, some other dude went nuclear and becomes the villain of MG, then I guess? at some point BB actually goes nuclear on like a delayed timer or some poo poo and makes Zanzibarland?

e: though I must say the cutscenes I've glanced at have some pretty great atmosphere. there's some trippy messed up poo poo going on and it looks to be a good portrait of a man wondering if he's gone mad. It's just the wrong man.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 3, 2015

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009

esperterra posted:

Idk, something like that. As it is it just feels like BB did a hosed up thing he doesn't get any heat for, some other dude went nuclear and becomes the villain of MG, then I guess? at some point BB actually goes nuclear on like a delayed timer or some poo poo and makes Zanzibarland?

Well, it complicates the timeline a bit, but it seems like Big Boss created his body double for the purpose of being the more "public" face of Outer Heaven's Big Boss. The real Big Boss oversees the creation of Outer Heaven from the shadows, and continues waging a private war against Cipher/The Patriots. He may also be the one who took command of FOXHOUND, while his body double acted under his direction to command his troops in Outer Heaven. When Venom Snake gets taken down by Solid Snake, the real Big Boss re-emerges in Zanzibarland, very much alive and renews his legendary status among his followers by seemingly defying death. There is no delayed timer - he was always there manipulating the events.

It resolves the question of how Big Boss could convincingly command both an army at Outer Heaven and a government special forces group, in person and simultaneously without raising suspicion from either side.

It's disappointing they cut content from the game, but the plot is still impressively Kojima enough to make it worthwhile. The themes presented in the trailers were handled far differently than I expected.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Someone said there's an easter egg where you can look out the chopper window at night and see the reflection of your avatar but I'm not seeing that at all. Can we get a screenshot?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Just finished the game. Absolutely love the gameplay, and the story felt like it was going to go in some really awesome directions and then it never really delivered on that :/

I was really hoping we got to play Operation Intrude, and basically all of the major questions still remain unanswered. I wanted to see more stuff with the Patriots - it's crazy that SIGINT and Paramedic didn't show up at all, and also nothing with Grey Fox and all of Foxhound? Like it was perfectly set up for everyone to meet up for at least a cameo, and I thought for sure that was the kind of fan service Kojima would deliver on.

Also pretty bummed that you don't get to do anything with Battle Gear, unless I am missing something? An open world was the perfect excuse to have a driveable mech.

Just kind of a major missed opportunity to really flesh out one of the really cool and mysterious parts of the series, and this didn't really do that at all. It's still an absolute blast and easily the most fun I've had with a game in a very long time but as someone who grew up with these games, I wish it got a meatier send-off.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Just watching the trailers make me sad and a little bit angry.

quote:

The journalist also asked why Kojima chose to go with a much darker and more tragic theme for this game. “This episode is the story of how Snake became Big Boss.” Kojima explained. “It is important for me to explain to the players how this hero became an evil to the entire world. That’s why it needed to become a very dramatic story.”

Due to money or Konami getting cold feet, or both, we'll never get the most important story of the entire franchise.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

esperterra posted:

He did tell Hayter why the switch happened: he wanted a better/real actor for the facial capture. If the reasoning behind the change of actors was the Medic thing I'm sure Kojima would have had real BB voiced by Hayter after the reveal.

The Japanese voice for Snake/BB is the same across every game, including TPP.
That sounds like hardcore whitewashing because he wasn't given a word about it from Kojima himself until the reveal, but he told the press about it instead. (and even then, Kojima just outright refused to talk to him afterwards) I'm pretty sure Hayter would have been a better sport about it if he knew beforehand and was told to be quiet about it.

Regardless, it's a terrible mess that could have been handled better by at least one party.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 4, 2015

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Does the part with the cremations ever happen? Or is that yet another thing that looked cool that just isn't there?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Nail Rat posted:

Does the part with the cremations ever happen? Or is that yet another thing that looked cool that just isn't there?

It happens, right after a section that is actually pretty cool and actually illustrates a bit of the "Big Boss falling to evil" arc.

Also I was not expecting Huey to be one of the most hosed up characters in the series. That dude is nuts.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm glad I went in expecting nothing from the story as I love the gameplay and just that's enough for me to love the game.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It happens, right after a section that is actually pretty cool and actually illustrates a bit of the "Big Boss falling to evil" arc.

What part is that? Because I never saw that.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 27, 2015

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

At the end of the day I like the gameplay so much that it's not a big deal, I'm just bummed that this was the last shot they had to tell the story I was most interested in and they didn't do it. I was pumped to see what made BB and the Patriots into bad guys and to check out the formation of Foxhound / stuff with Zero and the clones, but they basically swept Zero completely under the rug.

I can completely understand that, that's why I lowered my expectations to nothing due to both Kojima's craziness and Konami.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

At the end of the day I like the gameplay so much that it's not a big deal, I'm just bummed that this was the last shot they had to tell the story I was most interested in and they didn't do it. I was pumped to see what made BB and the Patriots into bad guys and to check out the formation of Foxhound / stuff with Zero and the clones, but they basically swept Zero completely under the rug.

I think part of that is that MGS4 retconning Zero into History's Greatest Monster carried certain expectations for the rest of Big Boss' games. By all accounts Peace Walker/Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain should have showed Zero/Big Boss coming to blows in a big way. Instead we get Big Boss working with Zero for all of Peace Walker (albeit unintentionally), Skull Face taking Zero out off-screen post-GZ, and Zero/Big Boss Did Nothing Wrong for this entire game, with no real conclusion because the ending got left out due to time constraints/lack of money/kojima falling out with konami/all of the above.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Do you really have to pay through the prologue in its entirety twice or did i miss something?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Do you really have to pay through the prologue in its entirety twice or did i miss something?

You learn the twist right away, then play through the whole prologue again, and then see new stuff, yeah.

It sucks because the story pacing wasn't bad for Chapter 1, and then you hit Chapter 2 and half of the missions are just padded, hard-mode versions of older ones. So many of the main missions just felt generic, when they could have been doing those in side ops and using the main missions to do a ton of work with the story.

I actually liked Skull Face and his crazy plan, but there was no reason he couldn't have been working with Zero. Hell, there's still half a game left after he dies and there really isn't a good reason why Cipher even exists. If Skull Face is dead and Zero is a brain-damaged invalid, who is even running things? How does the Patriot AI get started? What are the other Patriots doing the whole time? What the hell does Liquid do with Sehalanthropus and that English parasite between this and MGS1?

I almost hope Konami makes another MGS to wrap things up / remake MG1 /2 using the same engine and just plugging in the holes in what Kojima has already created. Any half-decent writer could do a serviceable enough job I feel - this game was already a pretty big departure from his usual style.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

You learn the twist right away, then play through the whole prologue again, and then see new stuff, yeah.

It sucks because the story pacing wasn't bad for Chapter 1, and then you hit Chapter 2 and half of the missions are just padded, hard-mode versions of older ones. So many of the main missions just felt generic, when they could have been doing those in side ops and using the main missions to do a ton of work with the story.

I actually liked Skull Face and his crazy plan, but there was no reason he couldn't have been working with Zero. Hell, there's still half a game left after he dies and there really isn't a good reason why Cipher even exists. If Skull Face is dead and Zero is a brain-damaged invalid, who is even running things? How does the Patriot AI get started? What are the other Patriots doing the whole time? What the hell does Liquid do with Sehalanthropus and that English parasite between this and MGS1?

I almost hope Konami makes another MGS to wrap things up / remake MG1 /2 using the same engine and just plugging in the holes in what Kojima has already created. Any half-decent writer could do a serviceable enough job I feel - this game was already a pretty big departure from his usual style.

I'm really, really, really glad you said that. I've voiced the same issues you have in the Steam Thread and I got shot down for wanting to hate the game and I'm just dumb or something when I'm not, I do like the game a lot, I just don't think it's GOTY material. But it's a disappointing game and I kind of expected more than what we got and the twist feels kind of hollow when neither Big Boss nor Venom fall truly villainous. The stuff on the Collectors Edition blu-ray which I'm told by everyone is not cut content but rather unused concepts so I'm an idiot for expecting it to be in the game, would have done that nicely I think and given the twist the real emotional gutpunch it needed.

So I'm glad it's not just me who feels this way, especially since for the supposedly final Metal Gear Solid game by Kojima before Konami do a reboot or something, it didn't really deliver what the trailers promised. But it's still a fun game.

Although to answer your questions about who is running The Patriots once Zero is a vegetable, there's a tape where he mentions he left everything to Sigint and he built the AIs alongside the work Strangelove already did. So blame Ocelot for making the AIs the defacto leader of The Patriots instead of being subservient to Sigint when he killed him during Shadow Moses I guess.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 4, 2015

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Just finished up mission 31. About how long in gameplay time if I just rush through to get the story done?

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Uh I didn't have to play the prologue twice.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

KidDynamite posted:

Just finished up mission 31. About how long in gameplay time if I just rush through to get the story done?

Uh I didn't have to play the prologue twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhb9RVU6pAk

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm really, really, really glad you said that. I've voiced the same issues you have in the Steam Thread and I got shot down for wanting to hate the game and I'm just dumb or something when I'm not, I do like the game a lot, I just don't think it's GOTY material. But it's a disappointing game and I kind of expected more than what we got and the twist feels kind of hollow when neither Big Boss nor Venom fall truly villainous. The stuff on the Collectors Edition blu-ray which I'm told by everyone is not cut content but rather unused concepts so I'm an idiot for expecting it to be in the game, would have done that nicely I think and given the twist the real emotional gutpunch it needed.

So I'm glad it's not just me who feels this way, especially since for the supposedly final Metal Gear Solid game by Kojima before Konami do a reboot or something, it didn't really deliver what the trailers promised. But it's still a fun game.

Although to answer your questions about who is running The Patriots once Zero is a vegetable, there's a tape where he mentions he left everything to Sigint and he built the AIs alongside the work Strangelove already did. So blame Ocelot for making the AIs the defacto leader of The Patriots instead of being subservient to Sigint when he killed him during Shadow Moses I guess.

I'm actually surprised that I'm not playing it as much as I thought I would. I am kind of annoyed at how much of a chore it can be to get around. And some things just feel pointless. What's the point of limiting suppressors when you can just call for more anyways.

I do think big boss is pretty drat evil for manipulating people like that.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Aw man I managed to avoid spoilers for so long.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

I'm actually surprised that I'm not playing it as much as I thought I would. I am kind of annoyed at how much of a chore it can be to get around. And some things just feel pointless. What's the point of limiting suppressors when you can just call for more anyways.

I do think big boss is pretty drat evil for manipulating people like that.

Yeah but not in the same way he does in MG 2. Like what drove him to resort to using and killing child soldiers? That's still unanswered in the game as it stands.

I do really like the idea of the twist even if the execution is lacking. Big Boss falls from grace by being a hypocrite and going with Zero's plan to manipulate the medic as a tool, while preaching how Outer Heaven is a place by soldiers for soldiers and they wouldn't be used as tools like governments would.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

blackguy32 posted:

Probably just that you can't effectively call for more if you're bad enough to be seen despite the suppressor.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
The twist isn't the problem. It's the lack of a second half of the game and I feel the blame can be put on the inclusion of Skullface. MGSV should have either done the Skullface plot AND the fall of Big Boss, or if money and development time is an issue, focus entirely on Big Boss and Outer Heaven.

Other than the twist, this adds little to the overall story, and it certainly isn't tying up loose ends and answering questions.

Ideally, they would have killed off Skullface by episode 15 and the next 15 would be the darker elements that Kojima referenced. It's clear they couldn't do 50, so I'd much rather have 30 well executed story missions.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The whole thing just makes me feel like the game wasted my time. And yeah, the game is fun, up until Chapter 2. Then you just grind the same missions you've done over and over again but it's slightly harder but you don't even notice it's harder because by then you have more tools at your disposal meaning it's arguably easier than doing the mission the first time around.

It's not a bad game. I wouldn't even say it's a mediocre one. But I don't think it deserves the 9/10 or 10/10 it's been getting. To me it's a solid 8 at most, perhaps even a bit lower just because of how the story irritates me. Which has nothing to do with the concept of the twist itself (I like the idea of it), but the really shoddy execution of it.

you and anyone saying similar things to you is insane and i don't understand what the hell is going on. i like metal gear ok and all but this is legit the best video game i have ever played.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
saint's row 3 was unfinished and unsatisfying. this game could do whatever and i'd still love it forever. it's actually fun and interesting.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Honestly I wanna know what exactly "Skullface was right there just off-screen during Operation Snake Eater" entails, like the exact details. That's more bizarre to me than the advertised "twist". Like not only were Ocelot, EVA and The Boss helping Snake in various ways during the mission, but now there was this other guy we never directly saw do...what? Was he the one hiding camo and poo poo around the area? Was he the source of the Kerotan all along?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Honestly I wanna know what exactly "Skullface was right there just off-screen during Operation Snake Eater" entails, like the exact details. That's more bizarre to me than the advertised "twist". Like not only were Ocelot, EVA and The Boss helping Snake in various ways during the mission, but now there was this other guy we never directly saw do...what? Was he the one hiding camo and poo poo around the area? Was he the source of the Kerotan all along?

Yeah, they made it sound like he and Big Boss had worked on a lot of missions together in past, and that he knew the Boss as well. Kept expecting something to come of that but I guess there are more egregious plot beats missing. I know it basically has a 0% chance of happening, but I'd love to see them finish that Mission 51 as DLC.

On a completely unrelated note, I hope they patch in a way to get Quiet back after her last mission! Really would have been nice to know she'd be gone forever after that.

Also, I wonder how much of the writing process Kojima was actually involved in this time. He gets a writing credit on a decent number of missions, but there are also quite a few that were completely written by Shuyo Murata.

I really don't ever want to give Konami another dollar, but it would test my willpower if they had even one of their C-teams remake MG1 by basically just transplanting the original game beat for beat into the Fox Engine.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Skullface was the pantywaist guy, I thought this was agreed on.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Skullface feels like he was introduced to fulfill some sort of role originally envisioned for his identical twin Hot Coldman, then...isn't, for some reason. There's practically no reason to include him in the game. Heck, having Eli and Mantis be the secret leaders of a splintered Cipher rebellion would be more thematically coherent- it would let them justify and work with more of the child soldier/lord of the flies themes.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I actually liked Skull Face just because he's a hammy dude with a crazy plan, but the pacing of the main missions is just really off, story-wise. They really could have done without so many "go to X and extract / trail random guy for info" missions and just streamlined Skull Face's arc, which would have left a whole lot of time for all of the other loose ends in Chapter 2.

They just drag his (and Quiet's) story out for way too long and then end up with no room for Zero / Foxhound / the Patriots / all the stuff people came into the game expecting.

Still, the gameplay is really incredible and I'll probably dump an obscene number of hours into just messing around with people in the open world and going for S ranks. If the servers stop making GBS threads the bed so I can check out the FOB stuff, I might not need another game for a good, long while.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Anyone got a list of all the neat unlockables and their requirements? I love goofy dress up gear and gimmick weapons.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

They just drag his (and Quiet's) story out for way too long and then end up with no room for Zero / Foxhound / the Patriots / all the stuff people came into the game expecting.

I came into this game for Skull Face, Quiet, and Big Boss. Two out of three isn't bad. All the zero/foxhound/patriots stuff is pretty thoroughly gone over in other games, and we already know what happens after this one. I came in to see a crazy story with crazy cutscenes and play a game with a million different things to do and I'm 100% satisfied.

Full Definition of CIPHER
a : zero 1a
b : one that has no weight, worth, or influence : nonentity

cipher's a macguffin. it essentially doesn't matter and is just a thing that exists to move the plot forward and give external motivation to characters. but, also, it's not really all that relevant in-story either. everyone (strongly encouraged by Kaz) spends so much time focused on cipher but there's plenty else to worry about.

Under the vegetable fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 4, 2015

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Discendo Vox posted:

Heck, having Eli and Mantis be the secret leaders of a splintered Cipher rebellion would be more thematically coherent- it would let them justify and work with more of the child soldier/lord of the flies themes.

If the phantom episode on the collector's edition CD is any clue, they were seriously considering this before it got cut.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I've just been running into small outposts on D Horse with a revolver and headshotting everyone with reflex mode and I think I finally understand Ocelot's obsession with cowboys.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

hahahaa Quiet's rain stripper/playing in puddles with Big Boss scene.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

KidDynamite posted:

epic video gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qvJx0p2eu4

:eyepop:

• Locked thread