Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Comparing software vs. hardware is nowhere near the same ballpark as original trilogy vs. special edition. Maybe if Quakespasm automatically converted your .pak files to feature HD textures and high poly models, replaced certain monsters with overproduced "scarier" versions, and added a bunch of goofy cartoon sound effects it would be a better comparison.

It is when some mods just aren't suitable in a different renderer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Only the lighting comes from Darkplaces itself, everything else is another thing.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

A.o.D. posted:

Of all the dumb things sa.com has for smilies, we don't have some version of this?

Because you haven't paid $35 for the privilege.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Johnny Law posted:

But anyway: so what in particular is your wishlist for Engoo? Just "limits" stuff, compatibility testing (check out the posts by NightFright in that FMV thread), maybe bsp2 support? Something else?

At the very least it needs to be fixed so that it remembers video resolution settings between launches. :)

The things that are needed to make Engoo a viable alternative to QuakeSpasm:
* Raised limits
* Music
* Implementation of in-level fog and other editing features in standardized ways (for instance, the intro map of Honey loads in Engoo but it's full of graphical glitches and the fog doesn't render despite Engoo having fog).
* BSP2/2PSB support
* Particle scaling (particles are huge in 1920x1080)

Things that would be nice:
* Changing all the content hacks into external pak mods, and some kind of scripting to control and customize them. As they are, they're a compatibility time bomb for mods.
* A crosshair that isn't poo poo. I'd say just copy super8/Makaqu's crosshairs verbatim, they're by far the best implementation of crosshairs I've ever seen in Quake.
* A map overrides file--a text file that would contain special instructions to change global map settings specifically for Engoo. This would be most useful for mods like the map jams which have software-unfriendly skyboxes, overriding the skybox choices in favor of skyboxes or even classic-style polygon skies that are more friendly to the palette.
* Something like SBARINFO because this is 2015 and no one has loving done it yet except esports douchelord HUD configurations for EZQuake.

Things that I would like but are probably not feasible:
* Protocol 666 compatibility so QuakeSpasm demos can be played. Probably a terrible idea that will not work!

BTW put this in your autoexec.cfg to make Engoo automatically start in 1920x1080 resolution:

code:
vid_config_x "1920"
vid_config_y "1080"
vid_mode 24
_windowed_mouse "1"
vid_fullscreen_mode "3"
I'm hungry for some ikblue/ikwhite, can someone name any maps/mapsets using it besides IKSPQ, kjsp1, and func_mapjam2?

I'm actually kind of surprised and annoyed to find that kjsp1 uses color much better than the ikwhite maps in func_mapjam2 despite being much older and more primitive. The mapjam2 maps are mostly monochrome white with colored lighting, while kjsp2 has whites, blues, greens, and browns with lots of contrast between bright and dark textures. White still predominates, but not to the overbearing degree of maps like jam2_cocerello or even the otherwise amazing jam2_skacky.

E: Fitzquake's new software version is interesting, it loads big maps and I like the way it can turn a skybox into a software-friendly polygon sky using some sort of magic, but I really dislike the lack of interface scaling. The status bar is unreadable at 1920x1080. Also the taskbar keeps showing up at the bottom of the screen unless I hide it before starting the game.

Also the Quake II/1.08 style black stipple thing on the menu is and has always been hideous, I hope they add the 1.00-06 style brown fade.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 4, 2015

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Woolie Wool posted:

The status bar is unreadable at 1920x1080.

Try changing scr_sbarscale ?

e: VVV :-(

Still, maybe it's the closest to being a full-featured SW engine.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 4, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Interface scaling cvars are already set in my config (sbar to 4.5, menu to 6, console to 3), but the software executable ignores them. Many of the cvars in the GL executable don't work in WinQuake Mark V.

E: Honey and func_mapjam1 look amazing with this port, even without colored lighting.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 4, 2015

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Holy poo poo, I might have to :filez: a copy of of the won version of half life, because the steam version isn't cutting it.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Boy, then it's REALLY going to upset you to learn that I've played both episodes exclusively with GZDoom and I don't think I've ever played without gameplay mods, either.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Boy, then it's REALLY going to upset you to learn that I've played both episodes exclusively with GZDoom and I don't think I've ever played without gameplay mods, either.

"You REALLY didn't play it with Doom, then. You must play it with vanilla weapons with a software renderer in order to have the actual Doom experience."

:goonsay:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Nobody really cares how you play BTSX, people care that you have to be :smuggo: about other people caring how they play something, please just shut the gently caress up.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

Nobody really cares how you play BTSX, people care that you have to be :smuggo: about other people caring how they play something, please just shut the gently caress up.

This is pretty ironic since this is coming from the guy that's spent several posts about Quake 1's software renderer, how much better it is than OpenGL, and ways to get it working in a modern source port.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

No, I want a nice modern software Quake port. If you're fine with QuakeSpasm, great, that's not my problem. You and Chinese Tony Danza are being insufferable smuglords trying to impose yourselves on other people and butt into their discussions, because "well GL is good enough for me :smug:". I don't give a poo poo, this discussion is not about you, if you don't care about it just loving leave it alone, you self-important blowhard.

WELL EXCUSE ME IT APPEARS OTHER PEOPLE CARE ABOUT SOMETHING I DON'T CONSIDER IMPORTANT, LET ME TELL YOU WHAT YOU'RE ALLOWED TO HAVE OPINIONS ABOUT
:goonsay:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

closeted republican posted:

This is pretty ironic since this is coming from the guy that's spent several posts about Quake 1's software renderer, how much better it is than OpenGL, and ways to get it working in a modern source port.

You realize Woolie Wool made a mod for GZDoom right?

Honestly I agree with him. I'd like some more options for software-mode Quake. There's great options available for Doom but nothing for Quake, which is really sad since I'd like to play the game as it was released in 1996, but with some extra options as well. If you like GLQuake, that's awesome, and I'm happy that you have something you like. Woolie Wool and I just want something for us.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 4, 2015

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Play Doom or Quake or any early FPS however you want, folks :)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
A modern software renderer Quake 1 port would be neat and Ii'd like to take one for a spin, but I'm not going to have an aneurysm over one not being out and throw a temper tantrum about "HOW DARE YOU CRITICISE HOW PEOPLE SAY OTHERS SHOULD PLAY THE GAME" like it's some sort of intense backroom political meeting. It's a 19 year old game where you hop around like a moron and shoot ogres with chainsaws with a rocket launcher; nothing to get worked up.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I literally just asked why software is such a big deal to people because I don't personally see what the fuss is about. Maybe I chose my words poorly? I thought a remark about neckbeards would maybe be seen as a humorous jab in a thread about video games that are over 20 years old? Not once did I bluntly state "you're not allowed to play games this way," nor did I ever say that anyone was wrong for doing things differently. You're the one acting like somebody told you to go ram your head through a plate glass window because I'm over here attempting to rationalize my opinion to detractors. Which is exactly what I have been doing: nothing more, nothing less.

As far as the last remark is concerned, I was intentionally a smug rear end to Rocket Pan because I don't like him at all on a personal level. Kind of something that doesn't concern you at all.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

As far as the last remark is concerned, I was intentionally a smug rear end to Rocket Pan because I don't like him at all on a personal level. Kind of something that doesn't concern you at all.

You have an issue with me pointing out that a wad was aesthetically designed for a specific type of renderer in mind? Oh boy...

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i like to play the doom.wad

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Rocket Pan posted:

You have an issue with me pointing out that a wad was aesthetically designed for a specific type of renderer in mind? Oh boy...

Hey, as much as I would love to go on a big, showy derail right here in public about all the wonderful reasons I don't like you, I'm pretty sure nobody else gives a poo poo. So uh, yeah, this line of conversation is over as far as I'm concerned, so maybe somebody can get us back to discussing the political views of Shamblers or whatever the hell we were talking about before this messy business.

EDIT:

Roobanguy posted:

i like to play the doom.wad
I, too, am a fan of the doom.wad, as well as the doom2.wad.

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 4, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can't we all just...get along?

:(

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Sure, we can get along, I don't care how you play Quake you know...

But if I catch you trying to sneak in some UT99 we're going to have words

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Wamdoodle posted:

Play Doom or Quake or any early FPS however you want, folks :)

I just ran through Unreal for the first time in ages (with a DX10 rendered and silly-high res textures). It was great. A couple of things stuck out compared to the rose-coloured nostalgia memories:

Was the ASMD always that weak? I definitely remember the flying enemies being more annoying. Why is it I still know the straight path through Sunspire (+ minigun), even though it's the map I always remember getting lost on? What kind of sicko put in all the “spawn X number of entities then activate” triggers in the Dasa pass maps?

Ahhh…

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

darkplaces only adds the different lighting in that video, it doesnt come with any textures, sounds or models. you don't even have to use the new lighting effects, there's even presets to make it look exactly like original quake. its just a nice sourceport worked on by an enthusiast.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Tippis posted:

I just ran through Unreal for the first time in ages (with a DX10 rendered and silly-high res textures). It was great. A couple of things stuck out compared to the rose-coloured nostalgia memories:

Was the ASMD always that weak? I definitely remember the flying enemies being more annoying. Why is it I still know the straight path through Sunspire (+ minigun), even though it's the map I always remember getting lost on? What kind of sicko put in all the “spawn X number of entities then activate” triggers in the Dasa pass maps?

Ahhh…

The ASMD's only really powerful with combos, and by mid-game, you have weapons like the Razorjack and Eightball, which are much more powerful and easier to use, so there's really no need to break out the ASMD unless you need to pick off weak flying enemies from a distance. I've found that combos are handy for Slith kiling early on, though.

The Stringer is the one wepaon you'd think would be completely useless, but I find it's great for ammo conservation when dealing with weak animals. Instead of blowing a flak shell or rocket on something like a Tentacle, take out the Stinger and kill it. Apparenlty, using the Stinger's primary fire mode makes it more likely that a Tentacle will shoot a projectile, but I like to live dangerously in Unreal 1. :v:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The Stinger alt fire is your best bet against Skaarj Warriors for the first few levels.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

closeted republican posted:

The ASMD's only really powerful with combos, and by mid-game, you have weapons like the Razorjack and Eightball, which are much more powerful and easier to use, so there's really no need to break out the ASMD unless you need to pick off weak flying enemies from a distance. I've found that combos are handy for Slith kiling early on, though.

The Stringer is the one wepaon you'd think would be completely useless, but I find it's great for ammo conservation when dealing with weak animals. Instead of blowing a flak shell or rocket on something like a Tentacle, take out the Stinger and kill it. Apparenlty, using the Stinger's primary fire mode makes it more likely that a Tentacle will shoot a projectile, but I like to live dangerously in Unreal 1. :v:

Pretty much. The problem with the ASMD, I felt, was that the railgun portion was just wasteful compared to sniping with the Automag, whereas the combos were either wasteful because there wasn't enough enemies around to make use of the explosion or wasteful because the kind of enemies you'd want to deal that level damage to would just dodge. Alternatively, for stuff like Titans and Brutes, it was just too slow. Looking at the actual numbers, it seems they upped it considerably for UT99, which is what I might be confusing it with in my head. Still, with the help of a power amplifier, they sure can clean out a room quite nicely but that's such a situational thing.

And yes, the Stinger is my go-to junk cleaner. It's not like Tentacle projectiles are all that dangerous, and the spread shot is good enough that you don't need to waste flak ammo on something small. Even against heavier enemies, it does a good job of stunning them just through sheer rate of fire, so it's not necessarily something you'd want to switch away from when those show up.

Another thing I noticed was that the eightball was really finicky about locking on, far more so than it just being nostalgia failing me again. I wonder if it might have something to do with playing at a resolution the game had no idea would ever exist — that the “lock on” box is somehow tied to draw size and either distorted by the aspect ratio or just aligned properly with the crosshair. Not that lock-on is ever particularly relevant, but it would come on (or not) at the most erratic instances.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

umm I think if you use IDDQD you are a nazi

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Linguica posted:

I literally had PTSD flashbacks to the dozen page-long debate about whether or not cheatcodes make a game more fun

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Guys, every day, I find vanilla doom less and less fun. I'm not saying I need BD, but I need something more than regular.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Guys, every day, I find vanilla doom less and less fun. I'm not saying I need BD, but I need something more than regular.

Have you tried... Chocolate Doom?

:v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=29915

Duke Jan
Dec 27, 2009

AGITATING SKELETON

Linguica posted:

No, the actual nazis are people who change Quake's standard grenade sounds.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Thou shalt not gently caress around with Trent Reznor's soundscape.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Klaus88 posted:

Holy poo poo, I might have to :filez: a copy of of the won version of half life, because the steam version isn't cutting it.

I did that and have a great setup with Xash3D and a shitton of mods. Xash is janky, but it gets the job done most of the time. It also doesn't fully support my resolution (1440p), so that's kind of annoying.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pistol start / no saves / UV / Sunder.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Commander Keenan posted:

I did that and have a great setup with Xash3D and a shitton of mods. Xash is janky, but it gets the job done most of the time. It also doesn't fully support my resolution (1440p), so that's kind of annoying.

A warning by the Surgeon General: :filez:ing without proper supervision or knowledge of what the gently caress you're doing may cause extreme damage to your computer and mental stability. :shepicide:

(That took most of a day to sort out.)

I think I found a proper version now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, I'm 32, have a regular job, a lovely wife, and a one-year-old son. Responsabilities! BUT, this morning, I'm ending the first half of a (stay-at-home) two-week vacation, my wife is at work, my son is at daycare, and I'm listening to Howard Stern clips while I rock the gently caress out of Doom 2 In Name Only with Demonsteele, all while enjoying a nice bowl of Froot Loops.

You see, growing up isn't all that bad.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Apparently nobody saw the word "mods" in this sentence. This was not an attack on Dark Places itself!

This video is the absolute worst I've ever seen Quake look. :barf: I wonder what Adrian Carmack and Kevin Cloud think when they see people replace their textures with some poo poo scaled version run through 50 PhotoShop filters. Was the Shambler model a hacked version of the Doom3 Hell Knight???

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And what was up with it exploding after he killed it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

why are there ghosts coming out of the shamblers???