Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Even after all these years, I still love tearing into a small engine. They just make me so happy in a way that I can't possibly imagine a passenger car engine making me.

Too bad it's a four-stroke or you could get really crazy.

A workmate has just offered me a second free gas mower, apparently not propelled so fingers crossed it's 2 stoke, "best" one will be for the lawn, other one might be gutted for a go kart...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
*reads back through chat thread*

LOL I guess this is a bad time to mention that I adopted a pit-bull last week, and he's literally the sweetest, most well behaved dog I've ever had. My cats only took a day or two before they were chilling next to him like they had been friends since small times.

gently caress you people

t :D

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Thanks for the responses everyone. I've got some poo poo to think about.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

MustardFacial posted:

Thanks for the responses everyone. I've got some poo poo to think about.

IMHO try getting adopting an adult dog and keeping it for a year before you decide if you want to have kids. Make sure you take it to the vets at all the recommended intervals. Also, you're not allowed to crate it, and you have to take it on walks for all restroom times. That'll give you a 1/10th view of what it's like to have a kid.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
I've just discovered there's an English-speaking courier company in Spain, just about 10 minutes from where my mum and dad have a flat.

I think i'll be making a phonecall tomorrow..

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
If you're not sure you want kids, don't have kids.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

A workmate has just offered me a second free gas mower, apparently not propelled so fingers crossed it's 2 stoke, "best" one will be for the lawn, other one might be gutted for a go kart...
For you or the kids?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i'm always torn between thinking it would be great to raise a kid and teach them to be independent and stuff, and fearing whether I'd be cut out for it or screw them up or have a bad day at work that affects the rest of their lives or whatever

but it's all academic really because it would involve touching a woman first and well look at me :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Terrible Robot posted:

*reads back through chat thread*

LOL I guess this is a bad time to mention that I adopted a pit-bull last week, and he's literally the sweetest, most well behaved dog I've ever had. My cats only took a day or two before they were chilling next to him like they had been friends since small times.

gently caress you people

t :D

Post pics please :)

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Sigma X posted:

IMHO try getting adopting an adult dog and keeping it for a year before you decide if you want to have kids. Make sure you take it to the vets at all the recommended intervals. Also, you're not allowed to crate it, and you have to take it on walks for all restroom times. That'll give you a 1/10th view of what it's like to have a kid.

I have 2 dogs and figured the dogs were easy, the kid would be too. Haha.

But like everyone else has said, the first year of kid sucks and then they are no longer a lump that eats and poops, and then its fun when they can learn and do things. Plus you get to (have to) go to science world/aquariums/zoos.

We are thinking of a second, so they must be like cats where they have a parasite in your brain and you want more of them.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Terrible Robot posted:

LOL I guess this is a bad time to mention that I adopted a pit-bull last week, and he's literally the sweetest, most well behaved dog I've ever had.

Let me guess - they didn't tell you that you have to feed it at least three newborn babies a week, right?

No rescue will ever tell you that all pit bulls will put up a good front but are literal baby-eating monsters.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Don't have kids, rescue a pitbull.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
So if you have kids and then don't want them, can you then rescue a pitbull and it will eat them?

Might be a solution.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Mooseykins posted:

So if you have kids and then don't want them, can you then rescue a pitbull and it will eat them?

Might be a solution.
My take on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK2miS0CBJs

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Mooseykins posted:

I've just discovered there's an English-speaking courier company in Spain, just about 10 minutes from where my mum and dad have a flat.

I think i'll be making a phonecall tomorrow..

What part of Spain? You might even get away without learning Spanish!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If the kids had a gun this wouldn't have happened

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Meh. They all look the same.

Gimme more geeky/nerdy ginger chicks

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

:allears: :awesome:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Kid chat! Haven't had that in a while so why not..

If you're not ready for kids or aren't 100 percent you want them, don't have them. Having them won't make you want them (in fact, may do the opposite). If you get conned into trying to have them with the rationale that you'll come around, nope NOPE nope.

You'll know when you're ready. For me, it hit me about midnight one night, kind of out of the blue. Woke the wife up, said "You know, I'm ready to have kids when you are". At that point, she got off the birth control, and with the exception of a last minute trip to Europe to kind of blow it out for our last hurrah for a while, went into pay down debt mode. Also started putting back cash to pay our part of the delivery and to have some cash stocked away after the kid was born. We decided early that she would be a stay at home mom for a few years. We never upsized our house, never refi'd for more out prior to the housing bubble. So we had relatively little debt at that point. Our house was our starter house so our mortgage was nothing, and other than utilities, we had little debt and we could live pretty comfortably on my salary.

Anyway, alot of having kids is timing. Alot of its, for lack of a better word, maturity. And not that not wanting or not having kids is immature; far from it. That's a pretty mature decision to make or want. But you kind of have to be at a place in your life where you're completely willing to put a couple other people (wife and kid) first. You've got to be willing to kind of put your life and wants on hold for a while.

We, without planning, did it the right way, I think. Before we decided to "settle down", we traveled, we partied, we blew an insane amount of money having fun. We did what we wanted to do. We talked about starting a family here and there...and I knew she wanted kid(s), and I did too, it was just a question of when. And you both need a support structure around you, because man, it's hard being a dad. It's hard being a new mom. We were fortunate that our closest friends were trying to have a kid and she was pregnant within a couple weeks of my wife getting pregnant.

I struggle every day with being a dad. I want to be a great father. Am I being too hard, or too easy? Am I too hands on or too stand off? Am I too impatient? Do I expect too much out of him?

But ultimately, I simplified down to three things I want for my kid: I want him to be healthy, I want him to be happy, and I want him to be loved. Everything else is kind of secondary. So I work to provide a good life for him and give him the best opportunity to get an education (roof over his head, private school, good healthy food in his belly), i.e. healthy. I want him to be happy (making sure he feels safe, letting him succeed (and fail) on his own but offering direction when HE wants it, understand that things take work, instilling discipline to do whats right, etc), and finally, LOVED. I tell that kid 20 times a day if I tell him I love him once. He gets more hugs and high fives and knuckles than any kid I know. But I am tough on him, I think, in the right ways. And for now? It's working out. He's a confident, but not cocky, kid. He works hard, he does his chores without asking, he's respectful, he eats like a champ, and has never been a difficult kid or baby. He was and still is remarkably healthy. We didn't go overboard on keeping a sterile environment. He got dirty. He played with the dog. He scrapped knees and elbows and played in the mud.

Sorry for the :words: but when it comes to kids, and particularly my kid, I get going and can't stop. I feel like we have done alot of things right that has been powered by an intense desire to do right and an unnatural fear of doing it wrong.

PM me if you want to talk. Hell, that goes for anyone, really

Tide fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 8, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

mariooncrack posted:

What part of Spain? You might even get away without learning Spanish!

Costa Del Crime Sol, Arroyo De La Miel, Benalmadena. About half way between Malaga and Marbella.

I'm happy to learn Spainish. I just want a change of scenery and to get away from everything here. Also, if this is the same kinda deal as what i have now i could legit move there imminently, as it's EU and i have everything in place already. Just chuck my poo poo in the van, hook up the car and leave.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You can buy an entire village in Spain, if you want to: http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2015/08/23/433228503/in-spain-entire-villages-are-up-for-sale-and-theyre-going-cheap

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Excellent. Then i can fill it with English people and ruin it.

Not really, i'll settle for a top-floor flat 50' from the Alboran sea with gently caress-all parking and no heating or air conditioning, and a goddamn marble floor. (When it's cold it's cold.)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Meh. They all look the same.

Gimme more geeky/nerdy ginger chicks
It was a joke about pit girls. It does not relate to anyone's taste in women.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I don't even like the taste of women unless you make sure to get some good broth stock made uP and really let that poo poo slow cook over night

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

DrakeriderCa posted:

Uh man tbqh I don't watch a lot of movies anymore but a quick list of my favorites with some action:
Heat
Collateral
A Walk Among The Tombstones
Flame And Citron
Hanna
Ronin

I'm no connoisseur so that's the best I can do. My memory is terrible though, so I'll probably think of some more afterwards

As Mooseykins noted, Heat and Ronin are top notch. I keep meaning to see Collateral but have somehow never managed it. I'll add the others to my list. Cheers.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

88h88 posted:

As Mooseykins noted, Heat and Ronin are top notch. I keep meaning to see Collateral but have somehow never managed it. I'll add the others to my list. Cheers.

Go watch Collateral immediately, one of the only Tom Cruise movies I really like.

I think his best work was in Tropic Thunder :v:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Mooseykins posted:

Costa Del Crime Sol, Arroyo De La Miel, Benalmadena. About half way between Malaga and Marbella.

I'm happy to learn Spainish. I just want a change of scenery and to get away from everything here. Also, if this is the same kinda deal as what i have now i could legit move there imminently, as it's EU and i have everything in place already. Just chuck my poo poo in the van, hook up the car and leave.

I forgot to add a :smug: to that. Spanish is a wonderful language. Just remember Spain has four official languages and it gets a bit hairy. I think they speak Castilian (Spanish) there though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

For you or the kids?

Well I'll have to make sure it's safe, and build it so they can grow into it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Terrible Robot posted:

Go watch Collateral immediately, one of the only Tom Cruise movies I really like.

I think his best work was in Tropic Thunder :v:

Cruise is one of those actors I don't really like but on occasion think is pretty good, him going apeshit in Tropic Thunder was a particular highlight. I actually enjoyed Live, Die, Repeat/Edge of Tomorrow it was like some dark comedy and pretty cool in concept.

Collateral that good then?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I like Collateral, I've seen it four or five times now including twice in the theater when it first came out. It absolutely has its moments, but its greatest strength is that it's not too ambitious for its characters.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Collateral is a pretty great movie. Tom Cruise, while being a bit whacko, puts out great movies and you hate 'Mericah if you disagree. Dude does his own stunts, rides motorcycles, flies a freaking P51 Mustang.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Did some hard negotiating with my contractor and got him to refund/walk away. Wish I could get him to pay for the extra rent and time I've wasted but that would be much more complex and not worth chasing small claims for months.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

So, we're doing a Disaster Recovery exercise here at work, or rather, at a Business Continuancy Center.
Started at 8 AM local. It's now 5:30 PM. Nothing has been restored, and there's no domain for my workstations to connect to (I'm the desktop workstation guy on hand.)
I've just got paid to pretty much surf the web all day. I did remote back to the office and work a few tickets, but that's about it. I'll be back tomorrow to see if I have anything to connect to, and then I have Thursday and Friday off for my birthday, after being off Labor Day. I like how this week is shaping up.

Already got a bunch of freebie coupons from the various restaurant rewards clubs, so Th-F are going to be low-cost eat out days.
On the down side (not really, I don't mind), I'm going to be 46. I don't really feel 46. Wasn't I in high school just a few years ago? I keep wondering when I will feel like a responsible adult. This despite the fact that I'm a homeowner of 14 years, have a 13-almost-14 year-old daughter, and have managed to be the only child in my family not to move back home after leaving (they had good reason, and it was brief for both of them, but I can lord that detail over them). I guess I'm not doing too badly.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I like Collateral, I've seen it four or five times now including twice in the theater when it first came out. It absolutely has its moments, but its greatest strength is that it's not too ambitious for its characters.

Yeah, probably what makes Collateral such a good film is how believable the characters are. They aren't superhuman or hyper evil or anything, just normal well, in Cruise's character's case normal for a sociopath people.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CommieGIR posted:

http://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/download-home-edition.html

:stare: This is the greatest terminal emulator ever for SSH. Ever.

Cathode is awesome in regards to emulating old WYSE Terminal screens

http://www.secretgeometry.com/apps/cathode

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

88h88 posted:

As others have said, Collateral is excellent. If you like Heat, you'll like Collateral. Both directed by Michael Mann, and with a similar feel. Stripped down but stylish.

Other great movies based on above comments:
Layer Cake
Lock, Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels
True Romance
Zero Dark Thirty (did I say that already?)
Oldboy (Korean version only. For the love of god don't watch the remake)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Bucket head the cat is mewing frantically at a door thats about half an inch too much closed for his bucket to get through. Shits hilarious!

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I'm sad to say I'm not much of a car guy. I just want my poo poo to work.

But my poo poo don't wanna work so I'ma have to loving make it work goddammit.

Suburban picked a fight with a tree and won, the only damage was a bit off the top broke off and hit the hood, so the hood latch popped open. I closed it, the end. But then it got cocky and tried to go after a bigger one, and lost. Little dent by the passenger side taillight, lens got cracked bad so I just ditched the taillights and ordered a new set of decent, conservative LED taillights (I already wanted LEDs for better brake light power since red lights don't work well on a red truck) and they oughta be here in the next few days. But I am not gonna deal with hyperflash, so that requires a new turn signal flasher. The reason for this is because I'm too lazy to deal with resistors and so instead of splicing wires I'll just blow my dashboard apart going after this fucker that's just on the opposite side of a fuse block that's got little latches that make it easy to remove pull out about half an inch before it gets stuck because on the opposite side, next to the turn signal flasher that I'm after, it is attached to literally all of the wires. I suspect that's getting within spitting distance of the ECU.

So once that's done the car will be safe to drive... but of course I won't be done with it. First off is to put a set of guard-bar things over the taillights so that doesn't happen again. But more importantly, it's got a bit of mild electrical fuckery cause the PO was a fire department that didn't take out all the blinky-light poo poo when they got rid of it. I've got a pair of strobe tubes sitting in the passenger seat that I yanked out of the taillights when I took them out, and there's another pair in the front turn signals. Properly installed, though, so they don't let moisture in. Most of the strobe wiring is still there, but I'm pretty sure the power supplies are gone. I'm gonna replace the headlight housings because they're a little bubbly and melted just a tiny bit, probably because of the headlight flasher which oh by the way is still there, just with wires cut so they don't flash but the high beams still work, with enough spare wire left that the flasher can be re-used. I might gradually hack away at the wiring and pull out what I know isn't needed, might not since it's not getting in the way of anything.

As if that's not enough, the front bumper is beat up and the air dam fell off so I just tossed it in back. The metal was so easy to dent that I'm just gonna get a new one and see if I can't get a bullbar that'll actually protect it without looking too outrageous.

That, a roof rack and a sound system that isn't blown to hell and it'll be about done. and maybe by that time I can sit back and quit loving with it and let it just w

...oh who am I kidding, this is AI. I'll come up with something, or else the car will come up with something all on its own.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is the first thing to make me smile all drat day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

New phone arrives tomorrow. The lovely ZTE included one of the 3-in-1 SIMs, and the new-to-me Moto X takes a nano-SIM, so I went ahead and had T-Mobile swap me over to the new SIM (couldn't do it online for some reason).

I was a little surprised/annoyed when I logged into the my.tmobile site and saw that my ZTE is shown as Refurbished. Oh well, it's a backup phone anyway, and it's going to get tossed into a desk drawer and forgotten about until I break another phone.

edit: wow, found out my employer (specifically, the owner of the franchise I work for) has been sued (and lost) before over what they pay their drivers...

Terrible Robot posted:

Personally I love pits. Super protective, and generally awesome family dogs.

I used to be really scared of them thanks to my mom. Then I became friends with someone who had both a pit bull and a boston terrier (she still has the boston, he's wayyyyyyyyyyyy up there in years - the pit died several years ago).

Her pit had a bark that would make you poo poo yourself when you knocked on the door, and she would be snarling at you from behind the door - given the neighborhood she lived in at the time (broke grad student), this was a good thing. As soon as the door was opened, you got knocked down by 90 pounds of pit bill and licked to death. Though if you didn't know her, she'd snarl if you got too close to her owner/my friend until you'd been there a couple of minutes (then she'd be trying to climb in your lap). The boston, on the other hand, would be yapping his head off at you and jumping straight up in the air.

Darchangel posted:

The gently caress? Are they not aware of the fact that every phone made since, oh, the '90s has a camera built in?

Canadian ones are unmotorized, right, and that's why you love them? They are on the RX-7s.
Supposedly the motorized ones have a lifetime warranty from Mazda. I just replaced the motorized bastards in my '90 RX-7 with early FC static belts (and trim. And headliner.)

Wellllll it was kind of a DSLR. I did wind up getting some artsy shots while I was there.

Honda/Acura also had a lifetime seat belt warranty around that time, but the dealers always try to get out of it by saying it's just on the belt (even though the warranty states it covers the entire power mechanism). Usually takes a call to Honda US to get it taken care of.

Darchangel posted:

So, we're doing a Disaster Recovery exercise here at work, or rather, at a Business Continuancy Center.
Started at 8 AM local. It's now 5:30 PM. Nothing has been restored, and there's no domain for my workstations to connect to (I'm the desktop workstation guy on hand.)

Soooo would you call the disaster recovery exercise a disaster? :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 9, 2015

• Locked thread