Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I just checked the hungry node that we've been feeding with crafting tables, and... well..

Is 12 centivis the max or can they be bigger?

Edit:

This thing is HUGE!

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What secondary output can I expect from an infernal furnace for just turning wood into charcoal?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What secondary output can I expect from an infernal furnace for just turning wood into charcoal?

experience orbs

(there's no secondary output but it works fast and basically for free)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ambaire posted:

I just checked the hungry node that we've been feeding with crafting tables, and... well..

Is 12 centivis the max or can they be bigger?

Edit:

This thing is HUGE!

That one will be 10 cv because it's not bright. Max, before bright/pale modifiers, is 10, making max for pale nodes 8 and max for bright nodes 12.

We've got some solid blood magic up and running at this point so we can use that to move the node - there's some ritual that lets you move hunks of terrain around, and people on the internet have talked about it being a much better way to move nodes than jarring them and risking them degrading. If we find any Bright nodes we can feed them other nodes to get them up to 100 in everything and get a 12 CV node if you guys are interested

Bhodi posted:

There's a fantastic ordo/terra node just north of the tundra teleporter on the other side of a hill that I used a lot before I got my vis setup. Which also breaks all the time for no apparent reason. And I don't really have a good wand to put into it yet.

I also just learned from the EC2 wiki that the "sky blocks" that I need to collect for the EC2 quest aren't in a floating city like I figured, they're in the meteor in the desert which makes sense but didn't occur to me.

I should really start botania that I've visited most of the scout waypoints - that's gating a bunch of stuff for me as well.

Vis relay chains that cross chunk borders are buggy as gently caress. Like even if you keep them chunkloaded. Hell, vis relays are buggy in generally - the visuals break a lot even if the link hasn't actually broken, but if your relays stay within one chunk then you should be okay.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Glory of Arioch posted:

experience orbs

(there's no secondary output but it works fast and basically for free)

Aww. I read all this stuff about nuggets, and was thinking I'd get ore nuggets. Then I saw it was meat nuggets. Then I saw that was just when running meat through it. I was looking forward to at least getting a little more tech metal. I have to start running those long lines of ducts and cables everywhere if I intend to renew my green card for Crazy Automation Land.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Aww. I read all this stuff about nuggets, and was thinking I'd get ore nuggets. Then I saw it was meat nuggets. Then I saw that was just when running meat through it. I was looking forward to at least getting a little more tech metal. I have to start running those long lines of ducts and cables everywhere if I intend to renew my green card for Crazy Automation Land.

Oh, you said "charcoal" specifically

you will get extra nuggets for smelting ore, and if you smelt those ore clusters you get from mining with a pick of the core or from the purification alchemy recipe, I think you are guaranteed the nugget

though in practice I ended up just using the nuggets to convert more ore into pure clusters as they have the needed 1 metallum

and yeah smelting food in the infernal furnace will output meat nuggets which are only useful for a "triple meat treat"

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Nugget chances go up as you add bellows to your furnace too. Assuming you've got leather, they're not hard to make. I think smelting a cluster with three bellows has guaranteed chances for extra ore.

If want more tech metals, investigate the metal transmutation researches. Assuming you can allot space to a small barley patch (barley seeds have permutatio) or have a pulverizer set up (for infinite sand -> glass), you can transmute iron to copper or tin at a 1/1 ratio. Make sure to turn your iron bars into iron nuggets before smelting them, so you get a full 9 metallum out of them.

Once you have the ability to mine emeralds, especially with fortune 3, emeralds are extremely common in the mountains, which provide the lucrum to let you transmute iron to gold and iron to silver.

Chiseled stone and centrifuged charcoal are both easy sources of Ordo, which lets you transmute iron to lead.

If you need more iron, turn all those metallurgy ingots into buckets, and then melt them down in a tinkers' smeltery, converting them into iron.

So in short...

Any metal ingots -> Craft buckets -> Tcon smeltery -> Iron ingots

Iron ingots -> Craft to iron nuggets -> Metallum essentia
Barley -> Craft to barley seeds -> Permutatio essentia
Cobblestone -> Pulverize to sand -> Smelt to glass -> Vitreous essentia
Stone -> Chisel to Chiseled stone -> Ordo essentia
OR Charcoal -> Alchemical centrifuge -> Ordo essentia
Excess emeralds -> Lucrum essentia

2 Metallum Essentia + 1 Permutatio essentia + 1 copper nugget -> 3 copper nuggets
2 Metallum Essentia + 1 Vitreous essentia + 1 tin nugget -> 3 tin nuggets
2 Metallum Essentia + 1 Lucrum essentia +1 silver nugget -> 3 silver nuggets
2 Metallum Essentia + 1 Lucrum essentia +1 gold nugget -> 3 gold nuggets
2 Metallum Essentia + 1 Ordo essentia +1 lead nugget -> 3 lead nuggets

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You only get nuggets by smelting 1) meat 2) ore 3) ore clusters
Smelting ore directly in the infernal furnace does not double it. You want a pulverizer if you have no way of turning ore into clusters. You can turn them into clusters via alchemy, though. Running clusters through an infernal furnace is better than a pulverizer unless you want the pulverizer's secondary output more than additional nuggets of that same ore. The QED triples ores that it can process, but that's a very expensive block.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

McFrugal posted:

Smelting ore directly in the infernal furnace does not double it. You want a pulverizer if you have no way of turning ore into clusters. You can turn them into clusters via alchemy, though. Running clusters through an infernal furnace is better than a pulverizer unless you want the pulverizer's secondary output more than additional nuggets of that same ore. The QED triples ores that it can process, but that's a very expensive block.

There's another option for ore tripling, which is the Thermal Expansion Induction Furnace. Smelting ores + sand with it will give you two ingots, and has a chance to give you a rich slag as well. Smelting ores + rich slag will give you three ingots. So for common ores like iron you can smelt them with sand to get standard doubling and over time build up a small stock of rich slag, and then for super rare untransmutable ores like platinum or the rare metallurgy ores, you can smelt them along with your rich slag to get tripling.

Odds of getting a byproduct can be augmented if you craft the augments and the upgraded induction furnace. It's a bit expensive, but still much cheaper than a QED, and it works on all ores.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

I know about the smelting regimens; I just misread the documentation on the infernal furnace. I thought it would randomly pop out some metal nuggets when running whatever through it.

If I can't get an orechid going right away, I'm probably just going to try to get a slag loop going, but it's still a rather goofy process. Well, if the slag loop is still a thing.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Ambaire posted:

This thing is HUGE!
Woudn't it be better to use the hungry node to power a staff from the normal charging stand? Once you bottle it, the "hungry" part goes away, right?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Bhodi posted:

Woudn't it be better to use the hungry node to power a staff from the normal charging stand? Once you bottle it, the "hungry" part goes away, right?

Nope, stays hungry. Bottling nodes preserves their properties, other than the bright -> normal -> pale -> fading potential downgrade. If you can successfully transduce it (from what I've heard, it's possible, you just need like a dozen people spamming cobble for it to eat instead of your transducer and stabilizer, maybe if you drained it down to 1 in everything first it'd also help, and you need to pray for good RNG as well) then it should stop being hungry because transduced nodes stop actually being true nodes and the only properties that matter are pale and bright.

You can make nodes stop being hungry if you can taint them though, and the tainted part goes away when they're transduced (or if you Dawn Machine them, they won't turn hungry again) so you can cage it in obsidian, make some bottled taint, and chuck taint at it until it takes.

The better way to move nodes, cause it doesn't risk hurting them, is apparently that there's some ritual in blood magic that moves large hunks of land that you can use to move the land, with the node, to a location you like better.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Has anyone tried the translocation wand focus on nodes? I'd guess that it wouldn't work and would just have the wand try to drain the node as usual, but it would be really funny if that was a way to move nodes on the cheap.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Has anyone tried the translocation wand focus on nodes? I'd guess that it wouldn't work and would just have the wand try to drain the node as usual, but it would be really funny if that was a way to move nodes on the cheap.

There are a few mods that let you move nodes. Theres AE spacial thing, there was the cardboard box (dunno which mod, but it's disabled now), there was a magic ring that let you pick up and move blocks (dunno which mod, but it's disabled now), and there's blood magic transposers. It's not a ritual it's two blocks consisting of a start location and a destination.

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
I had a power outage while running a Blightfall server and now it won't start. Anyone know how to fix it?

Edit:
Apparently EnderStorage poo poo the bed, I had to delete its folder in the world folder.

Greedish fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 8, 2015

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Greedish posted:

I had a power outage while running a Blightfall server and now it won't start. Anyone know how to fix it?

Edit:
Apparently EnderStorage poo poo the bed, I had to delete its folder in the world folder.
So you were able to get it working? I had the same thing happen to me but eventually gave up and restarted with some friends.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I spent a lot of my day Sunday setting this up. 3 labeled jars (one void) for each of the 52 aspects, on bleachers so the golem can reach them all.

I felt like going the pure thaumcraft route just for "fun", but now I feel like tearing it down and doing AE2 instead.

Gendal
Aug 3, 2007

ImpactVector posted:

So you were able to get it working? I had the same thing happen to me but eventually gave up and restarted with some friends.
I had the same issue and was able to fix it by deleting the EnderStorage folder in my saves.

Does anybody else have the issue with teleporting between transporter beacons where you vibrate rapidly up and down after a teleport, unable to move? All I can do is teleport to another spot and hope it doesn't happen again. Happens at least 50% of the time.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Gendal posted:

Does anybody else have the issue with teleporting between transporter beacons where you vibrate rapidly up and down after a teleport, unable to move? All I can do is teleport to another spot and hope it doesn't happen again. Happens at least 50% of the time.

I've had that happen to me a couple times, it seems to be caused by appearing with my feet slightly clipping into the floor block. If you punch out the cube of dirt you're standing on you should be fine. It seems to happen with specific teleporters, usually when I go to obelisk isle for instance.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Gendal posted:

I had the same issue and was able to fix it by deleting the EnderStorage folder in my saves.

Yeah, it happens all the time to me. It seems to happen when the terrain is loading around you. I generally type "/cofh tps" in the console and once the info pops up I know things have mostly caught up. You can usually get yourself out of it by trying to jump out of it for a bit.

It didn't happen at all in single-player.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Gendal posted:

Yup! It's bad enough that I've just lowered the 'landing spot' by one block and installed slabs on the edges so i don't have to jump out. It's super annoying at Alphadome because you land right in the center of four blocks so I've a big divot instead of a nice 3x3 ring.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I have a 1x1 hole next to every teleporter that I fall into whenever that happens.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Did anyone else have the issue of being unable to turn in invisibility potions? Is there a different kind that I'm missing? I just brewed them with fermented spider's eye.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You need the 8 minute version, not the 3 minute one.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Deleting EnderStorage also fixed my problem! :dance: I hope there weren't any super cool Ender Pouches hanging out somewhere.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a Blood Magic Tutorial

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Rocko's Blightfail adventure continues with enhanced tree farming:

(click for biggies)

It looks like the infernal furnace can keep up with the 4x4 endoflames with just bellows, but I will need to feed it some ignis if I want to go to 5x5, and eventually a tower. I should also put some chests around in between itemduct links so I can get an impression of throughput--particularly, bottlenecks. I am expecting at this point that wood will start to jam things up. I'll just reposition the test chest on top of the furnace to serve as a buffer.

I would have gotten further, but I decided to vomit out a Pick Of The Core or whatever it is. I had to get netherrack from the volcano anyways, so I decided to go on a small expedition with that thing. That is a nice piece of work there. I pulled in a good volume of tin without much effort. That gave me the confidence to blow my existing ingots on good itemduct plumbing. I'm running it under the farm in cleaner links, rather than going super-gross.

I guess I need a brain in a jar next to the furnace too. I should eventually absorb that XP as a liquid and pump it into mob farms, but I want absolute power security.

The planter is really loading up on saplings. Which plant should I feed saplings too for more mana?

By the way, what kind of mana output will I need to drive an orechid?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Turtlicious posted:

I had a really easy, exploit-y time. Here's what I did, roughly.

get to the glacier. There's a bucket of blood there.
start the quests with that, get to the obsidian tower, clear it of enemies.

that place is where all your blood magic stuff is set up. At this point I suggest just doing what the books says with one slight change...

use a safari net to capture a custom NPC. use the MFR auto-spawner to spawn a non-exact copy near the blood altar. This should give you a functionally invincible sack of HP to wail on who won't fight back. Use Tcon and Metallurgy to make a sword with at least one piece made out of amordrine. This makes the sword refill your hearts when you do damage.

Now that you have that sword and your living bag of hearts, you can cut the poo poo out of yourself with the dagger of sacrifice and then just restore your hearts by hitting the NPC with your amordrine sword. This made all the blood magic quests quite simple.

I imagine you could also set up these NPCs in a well of suffering or whatever and get infinite passive LP.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Stab self next to altar, put things in altar according to NEI to use the blood. Use healing potions to overcome the massive LP requirement for the Magician's Orb. Rituals are complicated and you just have to use a wiki for those. You need to get a bound sword and kill a few mobs with it to get the blood fragment you need to make blood bricks to upgrade the altar to tier 4 before you can do any of the LP-generating rituals (Well of Suffering etc).

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The planter is really loading up on saplings. Which plant should I feed saplings too for more mana?

By the way, what kind of mana output will I need to drive an orechid?

Best use for excess saplings is to supply a second tree farm with munchdews. Munchdews don't drop any saplings, but they spit out impressive amounts of mana.

I'm not convinced orechids are worth the effort, you'll need a crapload of mana and I hope you like getting coal ore. Let me know if you pull it off well though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

i burn some of my excess saplings for herba and pipe it into lamps of growth to supercharge my tree farm

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
And don't worry about brains in jars to store levels, enchanting a sword with the educational enchantment will get you an absurd amount of the stuff

If you want you could just jar an ignis node and energize it next to the furnace. That way you don't have to keep filling jars.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
Okay, I'm feeling blocked in and looking for advice on where to go next.

I've got a good home setup - nothing really automated (save for a lone straw golem picking up feathers and eggs from my chickens), but I've got all 4 animals in breeding sets, I've got enough trees and veggies to keep food solved, I've got a huge smelter, a great alchemy set up, and an enchanting table with about sixty supporting items, and lots of blocks of all materials except Adamantine and the weird Netherrack stuff. I can put out a bunch of Ethereal Blooms, though it's all manual and kind of boring.

Things I'm getting the feeling I need to do:
* Finish my airship to go out and visit the floating islands and grab glowstone
* Finish building a Dawn Totem to clear off more space or clear out the Ore Caches and grab hella loot
* Figure out how to make good equipment so I can actually fight Tainted Hunters and even think about dealing with the mages under the iceberg
* Start setting up AE2 (I found the Skystone, and I'm sitting on a bunch of Quartz)
* Start actually doing something with Botania (I have like 6 of the mystic flowers, so maybe I can do something with it?)
* Do any of the Dr. Sprouse quests (I haven't done any of the choose-your-own quests because they all seem like they need big things I don't know how to make yet)

Any thoughts or suggestions on which of these would be the best to start with?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Eschers Basement posted:

* Figure out how to make good equipment so I can actually fight Tainted Hunters and even think about dealing with the mages under the iceberg

Make a shock foci. Become shocked that everything became easier to fight.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Eschers Basement posted:

Okay, I'm feeling blocked in and looking for advice on where to go next.

I've got a good home setup - nothing really automated (save for a lone straw golem picking up feathers and eggs from my chickens), but I've got all 4 animals in breeding sets, I've got enough trees and veggies to keep food solved, I've got a huge smelter, a great alchemy set up, and an enchanting table with about sixty supporting items, and lots of blocks of all materials except Adamantine and the weird Netherrack stuff. I can put out a bunch of Ethereal Blooms, though it's all manual and kind of boring.

Things I'm getting the feeling I need to do:
* Finish my airship to go out and visit the floating islands and grab glowstone
* Finish building a Dawn Totem to clear off more space or clear out the Ore Caches and grab hella loot
* Start setting up AE2 (I found the Skystone, and I'm sitting on a bunch of Quartz)
* Start actually doing something with Botania (I have like 6 of the mystic flowers, so maybe I can do something with it?)
* Do any of the Dr. Sprouse quests (I haven't done any of the choose-your-own quests because they all seem like they need big things I don't know how to make yet)

Any thoughts or suggestions on which of these would be the best to start with?

* make a thaumostatic harness, it's easier than an airship and while it's not really that great of a flight option, it suffices for visiting floating islands/etc until you can activate a division sigil and make angel wings
* make a shock focus for your wand, it trivializes basically all encounters
* make a focal manipulator and get centivis, then upgrade the poo poo out of your shock focus (potency IV, chain lightning)
* make thaumium fortress armor
* visit the obsidian tower on the eerie island south of the silverwood forest, it's got goodies + lots of obsidian totems for an osmotic enchanter

also you only need to do any three of the multiple Dr. Sprouse to progress in his quest chain, and the reward for this is a pretty good assist in starting Botania, so pick the three that are the easiest for you to do

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm about where you are; I'm writing up a quick effortpost on AE2 because the one in the OP is good for an overview of what it is and why you'd want it but it's completely lacking in details. I highly recommend you do that quest and then start growing pure crystals because you need one for the crafting terminal.

How do you get fortress armor? Where is the enhanced armor stuff in the thaumomicon? For that matter, where are the enhanced picks? I'm running out of research juice so I can't just unlock everything and find it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

After you research Infusion Enchanting the Fortress Armour topic should be visible to you. Enhanced Picks? Do you mean the Ichor stuff that becomes available near the end of researching pretty much everything else? Or the Pickaxe of the Core that's available once you research Infusion?

Unless you're referring to Osmotic Enchanting which is in the Thaumic Tinkering tab.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I have a pick of the core, but I see stuff like 'infused' in the list - basically, I need an alien or post-alien pick rather than a supra-diamond.

A weapon might be nice, too - I have an osmotic enchanter and had to ditch modular tools because none of them could be enchanted, so I'm using a plain bow with arrows. Thing is, most of the game has centered around them so I'm not really sure what I can replace them with (other than a wand with a shock focus, which I'll be doing once I unlock a decent wand type)

Oh, how do you make blighted crystals? I think I need those to make a tainted wand core.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

If you mean Flux Shards, you get them from digging up Fibrous Taint and Crusted Taint with a Shovel of the Purifier. That's why you have to research that before you can research the Tainted Wand Core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
If you want a guaranteed mining upgrade path, do the following. There's probably an easier way but this is what I know. Make a good hammer. Bloodwood, Fusewood, etc, requires some luck with sapling bags. Go to Alpha dome, dig a 3x3 shaft to y11 directly below the silverwood tree. You can find some platinum not far from that shaft in one of the cave systems near y18ish. Go to the waterfall lake. Do the same thing. You'll hit some mithril down there. Now, go to Alpha dome, dig a 3x3 tunnel east to a bit further than halfway under the big river by Delta. You'll find some ore along the right-hand side that is the next mining upgrade. Now, either go to the waterfall lake shaft and dig north or remember the x coords and dig south from the alpha tunnel. You'll hit adamantite about 2/3 of the way to the Alpha tunnel as well as a mine tunnel spider spawner. Good luck.

Edit: Or just make an equal trade focus. Equal trade ignores mining hardness. With the architect and enlarge settings you can aoe mine stacks of obsidian at a time using torches as the trade.

• Locked thread