Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Turmoil posted:

Most of the men you see in those pictures look like they've been banished to the permanent friendzone and that's the only way they can get physical contact without paying someone.

Cuddle parties aren't free.

Also, not really millennial, but still: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa0EtdtPi8w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
OMG, this video of 4 men (three black, one white) sexually assaulting a woman walking down the street is about to go viral:
https://youtu.be/25rL-ooWICU?t=86

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Ka0 posted:

http://michellejoni.com/

Of course she has a ted talk

of course

Tedx, there is a difference. Anybody can get a Tedx talk.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGVQRq5NCcY

momerath
Nov 15, 2014

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

epic fail

:rip:

momerath
Nov 15, 2014
mods change my name to spongebob corpse asap tia

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

wothit.jpg

naem
May 29, 2011

momerath posted:

can anyone explain hipsters to me? like does anyone know any of them personally? i grew up in new york and i see them all the time but i just can't wrap my mind around the culture

a lot of them are passionate liberals but have money to live in $5000 brooklyn apartments and ride cafe racers to their made up hr jobs. and i don't get the being dirty and folk thing? i mean if you live in san fran or manhattan you are about as far from being environmentally sound as a plastic bottle, do they seriously think anyone is taking their farmer aesthetic that seriously? it's an ironic thing right?

The entire purpose of their dress and behavior is to be hard to understand

It's a youth subculture, so if you are of the appropriate age and get indoctrinated enough to be able to recognize other successful members of the culture you get to keep feeling like one of the cool kids in school for several more years, with all the benefits thereof including girls dating you

Past versions of alternative youth culture music and fashion/lifestyle movements have had a strong element of political involvement, like protesting the Vietnam war or championing the civil rights movement (think "rage against the machine" in the 1990's); this current trend doesn't have much of that, it really is just a bunch of kids with too much money in their $5000 apt in Brooklyn being kind of weird and exclusive and dressing badly.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

carml machato

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
whatever at least millennials aren't doing MKULTRA or operation condor and poo poo like that

if the worst thing you can say is 'on their phones a lot' and 'hipsters :argh:' it ain't all that bad

naem posted:

The entire purpose of their dress and behavior is to be hard to understand

it's easy to understand. you take the coolest or most popular poo poo from past styles and co-opt it into your own and call it ironic or whatever.

easiest poo poo ever and what's more you can pretty much wear whatever you want as long as you have the confidence to pull it off. people don't need to champion poo poo with our clothes or wear our feelings on our sleeves, that's what the phones and social media are for you old person.

there is such a thing as going too far and being an annoying hipster though just keep it cool.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 9, 2015

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Ok, I'm done. I'm loving old. I have reached "whatever is hip or in now I find frightening" stage.

You all have fun with your cuddle parties and paying $1,000 a month to nap and play with glue, I'm gonna go get a beer and forget the world exists.

naem
May 29, 2011

I feel like the going too far and being annoying is a defining characteristic personally, but then I lived in Brooklyn and went to school in the late 2000's and found myself surrounded at ground zero

naem fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 9, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

you take the coolest or most popular poo poo from past styles and co-opt it into your own and call it ironic or whatever.

I was alive back then, that poo poo was never popular. This is more like retro-street urchin.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

whatever at least millennials aren't doing MKULTRA or operation condor and poo poo like that

if the worst thing you can say is 'on their phones a lot' and 'hipsters :argh:' it ain't all that bad

Do you seriously think things like that don't happen anymore? And that average citizens were responsible for them?

I think you might literally be retarded

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mad Monk posted:

Ok, I'm done. I'm loving old. I have reached "whatever is hip or in now I find frightening" stage.

You all have fun with your cuddle parties and paying $1,000 a month to nap and play with glue, I'm gonna go get a beer and forget the world exists.

They had stupid poo poo about cuddle parties in the 90s on that real sex HBO show, was stupid then and is stupid now. Also, most of the people going to these events are mid 30s to late 50s degenerate hippies who have always been awful.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Ork of Fiction posted:

Cuddle meltdown is weird, man.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

momerath posted:

can anyone explain hipsters to me? like does anyone know any of them personally? i grew up in new york and i see them all the time but i just can't wrap my mind around the culture

a lot of them are passionate liberals but have money to live in $5000 brooklyn apartments and ride cafe racers to their made up hr jobs. and i don't get the being dirty and folk thing? i mean if you live in san fran or manhattan you are about as far from being environmentally sound as a plastic bottle, do they seriously think anyone is taking their farmer aesthetic that seriously? it's an ironic thing right?

Narcissism and pretentiousness, for example the craze of growing a beard because it somehow makes you more masculine while ignoring the traits that make beards cool to begin with. Lumberjacks and spartans and mountain men and poo poo aren't tough and manly because they have beards, but because they don't live in lofts downtown and ride fixies to the slam poetry reading at the coffee house. It's all a big black hole of I loving Love Science mixed in with a dash of pretending to like bitter as gently caress microbrews because it all makes life a little more exclusive somehow.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

Mad Monk posted:

You realize that this is almost no one except people whose job-related skills lead to them getting paid much more than other people of their maturity levels right? If 22-year-olds could've gotten the equivalent of $120k/yr jobs in Silicon Valley right out of school 50 years ago, something as dumb and infantile as adult preschool would've been marketed to them 50 years ago.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ITT bitter uncool millenials make fun of cool millenials that fit in

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Justin Tyme posted:

Narcissism and pretentiousness, for example the craze of growing a beard because it somehow makes you more masculine while ignoring the traits that make beards cool to begin with. Lumberjacks and spartans and mountain men and poo poo aren't tough and manly because they have beards, but because they don't live in lofts downtown and ride fixies to the slam poetry reading at the coffee house. It's all a big black hole of I loving Love Science mixed in with a dash of pretending to like bitter as gently caress microbrews because it all makes life a little more exclusive somehow.

yeah! and like, what's up with them liking all this music no one has ever heard of?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Justin Tyme posted:

Not Wrong

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBM48uF35ms

naem
May 29, 2011

radiatinglines posted:

ITT bitter uncool millenials make fun of cool millenials that fit in

As a not-rich guy going to school in New York I hung out mostly with local not-rich New Yorkers in the not rich Brooklyn neighborhood my apt was in, it was fun contrasting that with the hipsterfy-ing neighborhood area right next door

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I wanna have a nap time on them titties, i.e. get sexual with them and gently caress that weird napping poo poo.

Justin Tyme posted:

pretending to like bitter as gently caress microbrews because it all makes life a little more exclusive somehow.

bitter as gently caress microbrews are pretty awesome, tho. I also like bitter as gently caress tea and coffee, so maybe just bitter (like my heart) stuff is actually good?

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Professor Shark posted:

bitter as gently caress microbrews are pretty awesome, tho. I also like bitter as gently caress tea and coffee, so maybe just bitter (like my heart) stuff is actually good?

same and i also like anise (lol sounds like anus) flavors, in dark liquorice. not big on IPAs but i guzzle a stout.

are we monsters?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sir_Charles posted:

Do you seriously think things like that don't happen anymore? And that average citizens were responsible for them?

I think you might literally be retarded

i think you might literally need to shut up and jam charles

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

naem posted:

As a not-rich guy going to school in New York I hung out mostly with local not-rich New Yorkers in the not rich Brooklyn neighborhood my apt was in, it was fun contrasting that with the hipsterfy-ing neighborhood area right next door

gently caress, I feel ya. Grew up in a gentrifying town myself and honestly kinda miss the rough-rear end way the place was when I was a kid. I mean sure there's only been one shooting in the last few years if you don't count when the cops shot those mexican ladies during the Dorner rampage, but rents are loving sky high and the cops hassled me for driving a beater the other day.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

froward posted:

same and i also like anise (lol sounds like anus) flavors, in dark liquorice. not big on IPAs but i guzzle a stout.

are we monsters?

Lol if you don't swill down Mickey's and rolling rock

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
ok i need a consensus before i make plans for today

are cuddle parties cool or lame

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Puritan orgies for the terminally alone?

Sounds pretty 90s college radio to me.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
"I want to meet my biological needs in the most unobtrusive way. I can't wait to be made perfect by the great machine! White savior! Brain Christ of Modern thought! Make me good! Make me pure!"

After I am dead, they will have to find someone new to put the people out of their suffering. It's gong to be a long day of work.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
yeah

but is that good or bad

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The upside to millennials is that dudes are getting more feminine.:pervert:

The downside is that feminine dudes are getting beards and plaid shirts because of wanting to be manly.

Like, make up your mind!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Ein cooler Typ posted:

yeah

but is that good or bad

Its great!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

momerath posted:

it is a popularity contest

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Justin Tyme posted:

Narcissism and pretentiousness, for example the craze of growing a beard because it somehow makes you more masculine while ignoring the traits that make beards cool to begin with.

ppl grow beards because it is a craze, not because it makes them more masculine. this is how fashion works: other people are doing it, and everybody agrees it's cool, so you do it too.

the reasons facial hair came back into fashion in the first place are probably more complex, but could be summarized as "because it wasn't cool before, which is enough to make it cool now." this is why fashion cycles about every 20 years; long enough for a thing not cool to become cool then become not cool then become cool.

momerath
Nov 15, 2014
i unironically think gentrification is good even though i hate hipsters. i remember new york city being pretty loving scary in the 90s now i can walk around and eat at "quirky" diners. the scariest thing is getting into a conversation with some failing actor or some poo poo.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Have you recently taken some amount of MDMA or similar drug. The larger the amount the more generally acceptable hugging large amounts of strangers in a pile for no real reason. or possibly the less you care if its acceptable or not. Either way go for your life!

It goes back to lame if you take to much and require medical attention. That shits a downer.

Also anytime if your a stinking hippy because hippies are cool. gently caress the haters.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

Why don't I hear any sleep screams?

dr_rat posted:

Have you recently taken some amount of MDMA or similar drug.

OHHHHH! Okay I get cuddle parties now.

• Locked thread