Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

Except Dell raced to the bottom and poo poo the market, Lenovo stopped making quality thinkpads and Acer/Asus have always been crap garbage. Seriously have you ever used a macbook

there are only 4 companies that build computers, their names are Dell, Lenovo, Acer, and Apple

meanwhile I've built my last 3 computers because it's way cheaper that way for better hardware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Wait, Live Photos? You're taking a 3 second video clip and calling it a photo? :lol: "These are not videos". What the gently caress do you call them? "They're real photos with one and a half seconds before and after". That's what video is, jackass!

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Have they unveiled their iOld Rope yet?

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Moridin920 posted:

there are only 4 companies that build computers, their names are Dell, Lenovo, Acer, and Apple

What other companies make laptops then? What are these glorious and well designed Windows computers? Samsung? HP? Alienware? Razor?

Come on be serious here. Those brands are all just as garbage as Dell, Lenovo and Acer

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
like yeah macbooks are cool to use but like I said my friend's HDD just gave out on his and he has to buy a whole new laptop now

just loving lol

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

My Q-Face posted:

Wait, Live Photos? You're taking a 3 second video clip and calling it a photo? :lol: "These are not videos". What the gently caress do you call them? "They're real photos with one and a half seconds before and after". That's what video is, jackass!

to be fair htc refused to call them videos either when this was called "htc zoe"

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
this guy cant be for real guys, just ignore him. nobody is that bad

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

but lol entry level 16gb again

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

like yeah macbooks are cool to use but like I said my friend's HDD just gave out on his and he has to buy a whole new laptop now

just loving lol

every laptop but the new macbook has a replaceable SSD

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

What other companies make laptops then? What are these glorious and well designed Windows computers? Samsung? HP? Alienware? Razor?

Come on be serious here. Those brands are all just as garbage as Dell, Lenovo and Acer

no company makes good gaming laptops including Apple. there's a lot of good ones but the heat causes hardware failure within 2 years at best and the biggest monitor sizes are still not that big really.

otherwise there's plenty of fine offerings and more importantly when a HDD dies I don't need a whole new laptop

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

WOW

also i foudn out my car's wheels are replaceable, they werent even welded on at the factory

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
I wandered off after an hour of this poo poo and when I come back apparently photos have turned into videos? Not sure if I missed anything else.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

FordPRefectLL posted:

but lol entry level 16gb again

16gb is only for enterprise customers, IMO they should just pull it from the apple store and sell it on service contracts through IBM only

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

but the new macbook

cool so their flagship lol

what about the soldered RAM?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Where's the "switch focus after the fact" that intel was talking about three years ago? That would be revolutionary.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

no company makes good gaming laptops including Apple. there's a lot of good ones but the heat causes hardware failure within 2 years at best and the biggest monitor sizes are still not that big really.

otherwise there's plenty of fine offerings and more importantly when a HDD dies I don't need a whole new laptop

gaming laptops shouldn't exist just accept that gaming and laptops are not meant to go together. Laptops are for work, apple makes the best laptops for doing work, work is more important than gaming.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

only idiots whos time is worthless enjoy fiddling with Android and think it somehow means they have a skill people will care about

people who root anroids are indeed autist turbospergs who have deluded themselves into thinking that googling command lines makes them neo from the matrix, but that hardly makes iOS any good either

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gaming laptops shouldn't exist just accept that gaming and laptops are not meant to go together. Laptops are for work, apple makes the best laptops for doing work, work is more important than gaming.

yeah yeah I was traveling a lot though and playing total war or some poo poo on a 10 hour international flight (with 2-6 hour layovers in between) is pretty great. except when you get a busted rear end plane with busted rear end plugs that don't work which is at least 1/3rd of them).

but yeah I have a tower for that now and a tablet for reading ebooks in bed and it's good.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Laptops are for work, apple makes the best laptops for doing work, work is more important than gaming.

god dammit this guy is making too many quotes to quote for posterity he's a machine

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

cool so their flagship lol

what about the soldered RAM?

I don't give a gently caress about soldered ram... I never upgraded ram in any of my old laptops why would i start now? If the laptop can be thinner and get better battery life with soldered components then go for it. I feel like most of you that make these complaints have actually owned a laptop

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
whoa where the hell is my plastic iphone 6. god drat it shafted again

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

My Q-Face posted:

Gotta pump up the marketing juice with stuff like Live Photos (video clips) and 3D Touch (haptic feedback) when you're trying to sell the mid-season spec-bump model.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

I don't give a gently caress about soldered ram... I never upgraded ram in any of my old laptops why would i start now? If the laptop can be thinner and get better battery life with soldered components then go for it. I feel like most of you that make these complaints have actually owned a laptop

what about marking up off the shelf components (ie, most of their products internals) by 100% for no reason except to fleece idiots like you? you can see for yourself, go to apple.com and "build" a computer

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

god dammit this guy is making too many quotes to quote for posterity he's a machine

This is some chickenshit right here, if you disagree with me say how don't just go "LOL LOOK WHAT THIS GUY THINKS" I need more idiot arguments to shred

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

i have?

it's cheaper to buy the laptop with decent RAM then upgrade to the good RAM 6 months down the line (which is then the decent RAM and a lot cheaper)

and I don't think it affects battery life or thinness that much it's clearly also another attempt at keeping a closed environment

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Rename thread to

apple is about to drop the mic *drops the pencil*

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

i have?

it's cheaper to buy the laptop with decent RAM then upgrade to the good RAM 6 months down the line (which is then the decent RAM and a lot cheaper)

and I don't think it affects battery life or thinness that much it's clearly also another attempt at keeping a closed environment

it costs $100 for an extra 8gb of ram so while that might be slightly more expensive than buying that ram on Amazon it means they can make the laptop have better battery life. Shits worth the trade

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

work is more important than gaming

fuuuuuucked up

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i mean look you're right for certain people, people who don't care about all that crap, Apple is way better. they have better cases (monitor, power plug, etc.) for sure.

if you do want something a little more gently caress-withable then there's other options. depending on what you need there's various 'best' options. saying only Apple makes good computers is ridiculous.

it costs $100 for an extra 8gb of ram so while that might be slightly more expensive than buying that ram on Amazon it means they can make the laptop have better battery life. Shits worth the trade

you think soldering RAM onto a port or not has anything to do with battery life?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

This is some chickenshit right here, if you disagree with me say how don't just go "LOL LOOK WHAT THIS GUY THINKS" I need more idiot arguments to shred

i did, look up. but so far you havent shredded a single argument, yet you think you have, so im not sure the point of presenting more facts to you

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

i don't ever upgrade my macbook pro because i just sell it after a year or two and buy the newest model because they hold their value way better than any windows laptop i've seen and i want a new keyboard and a better resolution screen etc in addition to more ram or a bigger hard drive

as a result generally don't need to spend more than about $500 for a new mac with better specs every other year

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Lol, One Direction!

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
I'm an Android guy but I've really always liked Apples camera stuff.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
maybe it is you who are the idiot if you are so adamant about hardware poo poo that you know nothing about

explain how soldering a component on versus just plugging it in has anything to do with battery life

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

lol

it might save 1mm of thickness but how is it going to improve battery life? do you even know how electricity works?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

i mean look you're right for certain people, people who don't care about all that crap, Apple is way better. they have better cases (monitor, power plug, etc.) for sure.

if you do want something a little more gently caress-withable then there's other options. depending on what you need there's various 'best' options. saying only Apple makes good computers is ridiculous.

you think soldering RAM onto a port or not has anything to do with battery life?

pictured: quality

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

I used to be like you and think that anything I couldn't tinker with was not worth buying, then i realized I never actually tinkered with it and having the option to gently caress around with something wasn't worse getting a far worse product. Apple already won the computer and phone markets the rest of consumers who haven't bought in just haven't noticed yet. The iPhone 6s will take Apples 50% of the smartphone market up to 75% and it will just continue like this until someone besides google makes a product that isn't garbage.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

in before locker room zubaz is the puppetmaster

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
dammit... I think ive been got

The Goatfather posted:

in before locker room zubaz is the puppetmaster

should have known at "macs make the best work laptops" :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

The Goatfather posted:

lol

it might save 1mm of thickness but how is it going to improve battery life? do you even know how electricity works?

Shorter traces require less power and you can fit a ton mroe battery in when you remove giant connectors on your DIMMs

• Locked thread