Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I took this picture a whIle ago but forgot to upload it till I found it looking for something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

Excellent. Then i can fill it with English people and ruin it.

Not really, i'll settle for a top-floor flat 50' from the Alboran sea with gently caress-all parking and no heating or air conditioning, and a goddamn marble floor. (When it's cold it's cold.)

I've been living in Valencia the last couple months, it's pretty drat sweet and quite cheap by EU standards.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Thanks for indulging my sports car chat earlier, but priorities have shifted and it looks like we're spending that money on a travel trailer instead.

The wife has provisionally agreed to getting rid of my forester and getting a newer vehicle. Not new, but newer. Budget is $20-25k. The trailer we looked at actually seems really nice for the price, so if it tows properly on the road tomorrow we're getting it. We'll be getting a mid sized SUV to pull the trailer and also for running around. The trailer is listed at 4100ish pounds. So I'll need something that can pull that. For non-huge SUV's that limits options somewhat. I've been poking around and found that the Pilot and Highlander both rate up to 4500#, but then I saw that the VW Touareg is rated up to 7700#, which is a nice margin. I can also get a 2008ish VW for the $20-25k mark. How have they held up? My personal preference would be a MDX or Highlander but if the VW isn't garbage it would be awesome to have that extra tow capability. My wife's only stipulations are that she wants something "nice" with heated seats and navigation.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

DrakeriderCa posted:

As others have said, Collateral is excellent. If you like Heat, you'll like Collateral. Both directed by Michael Mann, and with a similar feel. Stripped down but stylish.

Other great movies based on above comments:
Layer Cake
Lock, Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels
True Romance
Zero Dark Thirty (did I say that already?)
Oldboy (Korean version only. For the love of god don't watch the remake)

As an English, I've seen all the wideboy local gangster flicks. Not bad, more comedy than anything else though. Ritchie's schtick gets a bit boring after a while. Oldboy is a classic and I'm fairly sure there's not been a decent US remake of any foreign film so there's no fear of me ever going near one.

Again, cheers.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

DrakeriderCa posted:

Thanks for indulging my sports car chat earlier, but priorities have shifted and it looks like we're spending that money on a travel trailer instead.

The wife has provisionally agreed to getting rid of my forester and getting a newer vehicle. Not new, but newer. Budget is $20-25k. The trailer we looked at actually seems really nice for the price, so if it tows properly on the road tomorrow we're getting it. We'll be getting a mid sized SUV to pull the trailer and also for running around. The trailer is listed at 4100ish pounds. So I'll need something that can pull that. For non-huge SUV's that limits options somewhat. I've been poking around and found that the Pilot and Highlander both rate up to 4500#, but then I saw that the VW Touareg is rated up to 7700#, which is a nice margin. I can also get a 2008ish VW for the $20-25k mark. How have they held up? My personal preference would be a MDX or Highlander but if the VW isn't garbage it would be awesome to have that extra tow capability. My wife's only stipulations are that she wants something "nice" with heated seats and navigation.

Look at 4Runners too. They're basically carved from a block of granite, as far as reliability us concerned. They should be able to tow more than enough as well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

So, we're doing a Disaster Recovery exercise here at work, or rather, at a Business Continuancy Center.
Started at 8 AM local. It's now 5:30 PM. Nothing has been restored, and there's no domain for my workstations to connect to (I'm the desktop workstation guy on hand.)
I've just got paid to pretty much surf the web all day. I did remote back to the office and work a few tickets, but that's about it. I'll be back tomorrow to see if I have anything to connect to, and then I have Thursday and Friday off for my birthday, after being off Labor Day. I like how this week is shaping up.

Ahahahahaha, I love when this poo poo happens and there's no actual contingencies in place.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's why it's Disaster Recovery, not Everything's Fine Do Nothing.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

literally a fish posted:

should i buy car chat

I did the thing
I bought a twin turbo subaru with a spun rod bearing
I will make my avatar proud

the tow vehicle didn't appreciate all this weight... poor 4Runner. I am sorry.

Now to bring in 1/2 of a twin turbo subaru from Japan and mix batter until smooth.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 9, 2015

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So the Trailblazer my brother was looking at has debris and/or moisture on the transmission dipstick. He should run, yes?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CornHolio posted:

So the Trailblazer my brother was looking at has debris and/or moisture on the transmission dipstick. He should run, yes?

Yup.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Backov posted:

I've been living in Valencia the last couple months, it's pretty drat sweet and quite cheap by EU standards.

That reminds me, apparently buying whole villages in Spain on the cheap is now a thing since 300+ have been abandoned.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

keykey posted:

That reminds me, apparently buying whole villages in Spain on the cheap is now a thing since 300+ have been abandoned.

Italy too.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

DrakeriderCa posted:

For what it's worth, my family has had a 2006 Honda Pilot since new and it has been rock solid. I have not tried to tow anything though. Haven't really had to replace anything besides the normal wear and tear items.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

literally a fish posted:

I did the thing

Now to bring in 1/2 of a twin turbo subaru from Japan and mix batter until smooth.

I used to have the same car, same color too. drat, I miss that thing. Good purchase, best purchase. :swoon:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

RillAkBea posted:

I used to have the same car, same color too. drat, I miss that thing. Good purchase, best purchase. :swoon:

now I just need to replace this engine with one that isn't siezed up from a spun rod bearing

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Kids? Depends on who I end up with. Two years ago the answer was a firm NO. Around the start of 2014 I dunno, something changed. I'm not real set on yes or no, but I'll be debt free in under a year at this point, with no rent to pay, and if things work out how I really hope they will, household income is likely to be firmly in the "what are we going to do with all of this" range.

We'll see, I guess.

Oh, and a shop build and airplane come first.

Dogs? I can't stand the badly trained ones that loving bark nonstop. I have met a number of cool dogs however and am alright with them. If I was going to choose I'd get a cat, but I am pretty easygoing on the issue. If your goddamn ill trained spoiled rat-dog won't stop loving yapping god damnit my ears, I am trying to sleep here I will be fantasizing about kicking it over the fence and then ramming it down your throat, though.

Galler posted:

This is why I rarely pay anyone to do anything and instead do it myself. I'm perfectly capable of doing half-assed work, going over my budget, and taking longer than intended without involving a third party. Sometimes I even do things correctly!

haha, same. In fact this is my justification for buying a fixer upper.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

mariooncrack posted:

I forgot to add a :smug: to that. Spanish is a wonderful language. Just remember Spain has four official languages and it gets a bit hairy. I think they speak Castilian (Spanish) there though.

Yeah, apparently it's also quite similar to French, which i also don't speak. (Well, a little.)

I'll just do what all English people do, speak English very loudly and slowly with a foreign accent. That's pretty much speaking Spanish. :colbert:

Backov posted:

Oh yeah, how is it in general? I don't know much about Valencia other than they make excellent orange juice. (Which M&S sells.)

Also, it must be cheaper than London. So if i can land a job there i'm gooooone.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Mooseykins posted:

Yeah, apparently it's also quite similar to French, which i also don't speak. (Well, a little.)

I'll just do what all English people do, speak English very loudly and slowly with a foreign accent. That's pretty much speaking Spanish. :colbert:

They must speak Catalan there then. It's a blend of Spanish and French.

Speaking English slowly and loudly works better than you expect. If they don't understand, just repeat yourself more slowly and more loud! :smug:

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

keykey posted:

I'd be concerned about the internet quality in my abandoned village.

Mooseykins posted:

Oh yeah, how is it in general? I don't know much about Valencia other than they make excellent orange juice. (Which M&S sells.)

Also, it must be cheaper than London. So if i can land a job there i'm gooooone.

Was quiet in August because almost everyone was on vacation. poo poo literally closes at 1:30-2pm and reopens at 4pm because Siesta.

Food is fantastic, booze is cheap. Local dude tells me that winter is usually averaging about 17'C.

Honestly, pretty drat sweet. Don't try to get a job in Spain, though - 50% unemployment and all that. Work remote like me. :)

One of the great things, and one of the reasons that I am here, is that Spanish is super easy. Despite the fact that there are 4 languages in Spain, you really only need Spanish. It's not like that Catalan chick doesn't speak Spanish, she just would RATHER NOT. :)

Backov fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 9, 2015

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Oh man its sofa king hot today. Went through a gallon of water so far and only peed once.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Next Tuesday I have the loving pleasure of staying late at work for a mandatory team building exercise with the sales department being hosted by third party facilitator.

loving kill me now.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

mariooncrack posted:

They must speak Catalan there then. It's a blend of Spanish and French.

Speaking English slowly and loudly works better than you expect. If they don't understand, just repeat yourself more slowly and more loud! :smug:

Exactly, it's a method that only we have and it makes us fluent in a number of languages! To be fair, so many people speak English and in all the places i've been where they didn't speak English i've still managed to get what i needed.

Backov posted:

Was quiet in August because almost everyone was on vacation. poo poo literally closes at 1:30-2pm and reopens at 4pm because Siesta.

Food is fantastic, booze is cheap. Local dude tells me that winter is usually averaging about 17'C.

Honestly, pretty drat sweet. Don't try to get a job in Spain, though - 50% unemployment and all that. Work remote like me. :)

One of the great things, and one of the reasons that I am here, is that Spanish is super easy. Despite the fact that there are 4 languages in Spain, you really only need Spanish. It's not like that Catalan chick doesn't speak Spanish, she just would RATHER NOT. :)

Yeah, i used to go there at least once a year, so i've spent in total a couple years there at least. Siesta owns, extended lunch and nap time, they work late into the evening. I love that poo poo, it's awesome. Tourists bitch because in interrupts their shopping but they don't know what they're missing.

I do want to learn a second language, either French or Spanish. Honestly, i'd rather live in the French Alps but because we have a place in Spain i could legit move there really easily and cheaply. If a similar opportunity was Present in France i'd be gone already.

I wish i could work remote, but that's kinda hard as a courier. I got a couple leads to chase and see what i come up with. I get that the job situation there sucks, but if i can get into something as an owner-driver i might have an advantage.

Are you in some kind of work that you could live anywhere?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So I'm finally going to update the cable wiring to RG6 and add cat6 to my house--should I run it in the crawlspace or in the attic?

Anyone know of any good comprehensive websites or books for DIYing this kind of stuff? Not sure if I really want to buy bulk cable and wire all the keystone jacks myself or maybe that's my only option?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
A friend of mine is trying to convince me to buy this done up KLR 650 and go motocamping with him despite the fact that I cannot ride a bike.

I am considering it.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Mooseykins posted:

Welcome to the tech industry. I am about to start a job that the only offices are in San Francisco and Moscow, but I will be living/working in Seattle. One of my old bosses lived in Spain, Denmark and Columbia while we were working for a Seattle based company. Its pretty awesome and terrible depending on whats happening at work. The downside of being able to work anywhere is that a lot of jobs will expect you to work anywhere/anytime.

on a AI note, the future wife has given me the go ahead to buy a second car for around $15k, only thing is it has to be modern and relatively safe, so no aw11 mr2. At this point I am leaning towards a e39 540i 6spd or an e46 zhp for the responsible type of car, or a s2000 for the fun side. 540i probably makes the most sense from an insurance aspect, but a bit big for my liking. Time to go test drive some cars....

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Negromancer posted:

Welcome to the tech industry. I am about to start a job that the only offices are in San Francisco and Moscow, but I will be living/working in Seattle. One of my old bosses lived in Spain, Denmark and Columbia while we were working for a Seattle based company. Its pretty awesome and terrible depending on whats happening at work. The downside of being able to work anywhere is that a lot of jobs will expect you to work anywhere/anytime.

I think i'm a littler under qualified for that.

I can just about operate a microwave.

Also, how does that work? Do you not have meetings and stuff to actually go to? You just have to do "work" and it can be done any time and anywhere so long as it's done within the given deadlines?

If i could do that i'd seriously just find a small place in the French Alps and loving vanish.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Jesus Christ why is towing a travel trailer so complicated? I started out looking at Maximum Trailer Weight and now these guys are saying you have to look at GVWR and GCWR and do a bunch of math. :argh:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Mooseykins posted:

I think i'm a littler under qualified for that.

I can just about operate a microwave.

Also, how does that work? Do you not have meetings and stuff to actually go to? You just have to do "work" and it can be done any time and anywhere so long as it's done within the given deadlines?

If i could do that i'd seriously just find a small place in the French Alps and loving vanish.

It depends on the company. My company has (IIRC) around 40% of the work force "at" our NC campus actually working from home on any given day. In fact, if everyone came in we'd be short by a very large number of desks. You're expected to work whatever your hours are, be available to people via IM, e-mail, phone, and text during business hours, and lots of meetings have someone teleconferencing - all of our work desktops are actually laptops, with integrated web cameras and microphones.

One of my fellow IT people just bought a house 6 hours away in another state, yet he still works "at" our location. He just went to his manager and got OK'd to telework 100% of the time; he'll come in during the quarterly big meetings. One of the managers in a sister office is prepping to move from NoVA to Florida; he's got his private pilot's license and a small plane, and he's going to fly himself up every other week. I know of another guy who lives on a horse ranch in Massachusetts or Vermont or something. Yes, it does enable a totally unstandard lifestyle, but it's company culture here and people definitely don't have issues with it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DrakeriderCa posted:

Jesus Christ why is towing a travel trailer so complicated? I started out looking at Maximum Trailer Weight and now these guys are saying you have to look at GVWR and GCWR and do a bunch of math. :argh:

there are like 6 or 7 different numbers you have to look at. maximum trailer weight, tongue weight with and without a load leveling hitch, gcwr and your curb weight with you in it and a tank of gas.

or you can do it the redneck way and just buy the biggest fuckin trailer you can afford and wing it.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Mooseykins posted:

A lot of it is just sit on skype all day talking with various people you need to talk to. Otherwise you can go down the path of our inevitable cyberpunk future and get a telepresence robot

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Sigma X posted:

It depends on the company. My company has (IIRC) around 40% of the work force "at" our NC campus actually working from home on any given day. In fact, if everyone came in we'd be short by a very large number of desks. You're expected to work whatever your hours are, be available to people via IM, e-mail, phone, and text during business hours, and lots of meetings have someone teleconferencing - all of our work desktops are actually laptops, with integrated web cameras and microphones.

One of my fellow IT people just bought a house 6 hours away in another state, yet he still works "at" our location. He just went to his manager and got OK'd to telework 100% of the time; he'll come in during the quarterly big meetings. One of the managers in a sister office is prepping to move from NoVA to Florida; he's got his private pilot's license and a small plane, and he's going to fly himself up every other week. I know of another guy who lives on a horse ranch in Massachusetts or Vermont or something. Yes, it does enable a totally unstandard lifestyle, but it's company culture here and people definitely don't have issues with it.

Well that sounds completely mad and completely awesome.

I actually really like being out and about all day, going to different places, moving different things, telling different people they're cunts, etc. But if you could do all that poo poo at home and have perks like zero commute and instant access to your fridge and porcelain throne that would be great too.

MustardFacial posted:

A lot of it is just sit on skype all day talking with various people you need to talk to. Otherwise you can go down the path of our inevitable cyberpunk future and get a telepresence robot

What is this madness?

Hahahahahaha, wut?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

some texas redneck posted:

Wellllll it was kind of a DSLR. I did wind up getting some artsy shots while I was there.

Yeah, but I mean saying "no cameras" is just silly, given that almost literally every phone is a camera. Not a fantastic one, granted, but plenty good for taking pictures of whatever they are paranoid about you taking pictures of. Seriously, what does a fracking wrecking yard have to not take pictures of?

quote:

Honda/Acura also had a lifetime seat belt warranty around that time, but the dealers always try to get out of it by saying it's just on the belt (even though the warranty states it covers the entire power mechanism). Usually takes a call to Honda US to get it taken care of.

Mazda's not much different, from what I hear.

quote:

Soooo would you call the disaster recovery exercise a disaster? :v:

Not yet. The purpose of an exercise is to find out what will go wrong BEFORE the actual disaster, so if they capture and fix the problems, it's a success. IF they do that.
That said, the domain was up today, I just had to track down a network guy to get all the IP info to give the machines a static IP and DNS server, etc. My part is basically don. I got a free lunch both days, and my afternoon should be quiet.
I don't get why the other guys don't volunteer to go.

CommieGIR posted:

Ahahahahaha, I love when this poo poo happens and there's no actual contingencies in place.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's why it's Disaster Recovery, not Everything's Fine Do Nothing.

This, basically, only Disaster Recovery EXERCISE. As in, practice, then figure out how to do better, in theory.
A real disaster recovery would be... interesting. A lot more pressure, and more hands-on-deck.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Powershift posted:

there are like 6 or 7 different numbers you have to look at. maximum trailer weight, tongue weight with and without a load leveling hitch, gcwr and your curb weight with you in it and a tank of gas.

or you can do it the redneck way and just buy the biggest fuckin trailer you can afford and wing it.

Aaaaaaaaaalllllllllllberta :clint:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DrakeriderCa posted:

Aaaaaaaaaalllllllllllberta :clint:

Exactly, there's a reason bumpstops exist, and the transmission is supposed to smoke like that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

literally a fish posted:

I did the thing

You've got the car way too far forward, particularly for a nose-heavy Scooby.Scootch it back so that the weight of the car is centered on the trailer's axles (I'd say about with the rear edge of the front tire at the front edge of the trailer's fenders), and that will reduce the tongue weight, making the truck a lot happier (and a lot less squirrelly. You're drat near picking the front wheels up off the ground there.)

Negromancer posted:

on a AI note, the future wife has given me the go ahead to buy a second car for around $15k, only thing is it has to be modern and relatively safe, so no aw11 mr2. At this point I am leaning towards a e39 540i 6spd or an e46 zhp for the responsible type of car, or a s2000 for the fun side. 540i probably makes the most sense from an insurance aspect, but a bit big for my liking. Time to go test drive some cars....

The downside of being able to work anywhere is that your job will be outsourced to anywhere cheaper.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Sigma X posted:

My company is 50% remote, and aside from on-site IT and office manager positions, pretty much everybody could work from home.
Meetings and phone are via skype, so its not very location dependent.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

This, basically, only Disaster Recovery EXERCISE. As in, practice, then figure out how to do better, in theory.
A real disaster recovery would be... interesting. A lot more pressure, and more hands-on-deck.

Some basic disaster preparedness could have been put in place, backup domain controllers, etc. You don't have to simulate a full on nothing works disaster to test disaster recovery.

My disaster recovery was pulling the network cable on the primary domain controller. Backup took over like a charm. Zero downtime. Then a week later, I did it to the backup.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Mooseykins posted:

I do want to learn a second language, either French or Spanish. Honestly, i'd rather live in the French Alps but because we have a place in Spain i could legit move there really easily and cheaply. If a similar opportunity was Present in France i'd be gone already.

I wish i could work remote, but that's kinda hard as a courier. I got a couple leads to chase and see what i come up with. I get that the job situation there sucks, but if i can get into something as an owner-driver i might have an advantage.

I think if you're willing to hustle you'll do fine. I met an English dude that came here 7 years ago right as the economy crashed, and started a man with van service and some other hustles. He's living out in the country on a farm with his wife and 5 kids and horses and doing alright.

As for me - ya, I work for a tech company and I can live wherever. I've chosen Spain because of a lot of reasons. It's a lovely place, if you've got a job.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Backov posted:

I think if you're willing to hustle you'll do fine. I met an English dude that came here 7 years ago right as the economy crashed, and started a man with van service and some other hustles. He's living out in the country on a farm with his wife and 5 kids and horses and doing alright.

As for me - ya, I work for a tech company and I can live wherever. I've chosen Spain because of a lot of reasons. It's a lovely place, if you've got a job.

Well that's interesting.

I suppose with no wife, no kids, no horses and no rent i could live quite comfortably.

Gonna have to look into this more and more. I constantly feel antsy, anxious and impatient. I need and want something to change and it's killing me not feeling like i'm making progress, even though i've killed 4-5k of debt and saved up a bit (not much, 1,800 so far) in the last 12 weeks.

Your deal sounds cushy, glad it's working out for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Havin a truck is awsome, i got 12 sacks of dirt for the garden, some tiles and 600kg of sand in the back today.

i also park like an idiot if i find a incline or rock to set the truck on

• Locked thread