Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Whatev posted:

Ah, I just remembered what The Terminal was. That horrible Tom Hanks romantic comedy where he is stuck at an airport. War of the Worlds was pretty lazy and lovely too. Your cutoff should really be at 2002.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Can't wait to see his take on the modern masterpiece "Ready Player One". It should be a worthy successor to the book.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

ArmZ posted:

also hard line Israelis and zionists don't like Munich because it shows the collateral damage caused by and the regret of the Israeli assassins lol

"the jew cries out in pain as he strikes you" -- Polish proverb

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Duel (1971)
Something Evil (1972)
Savage (1973)
The Sugarland Express (1974, also wrote)
Jaws (1975)
SOMETHING HAPPENS TO SPIELBERG HERE
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977, also wrote)
1941 (1979)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
Twilight Zone: The Movie ("Kick the Can" segment, 1983)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
The Color Purple (1985)
Empire of the Sun (1987)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
Always (1989)
Hook (1991)
Jurassic Park (1993)
Schindler's List (1993)
The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)
Amistad (1997)
Saving Private Ryan (1998)
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001, also wrote)
Minority Report (2002)
Catch Me If You Can (2002)
The Terminal (2004)
War of the Worlds (2005)
Munich (2005)
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)
The Adventures of Tintin (2011)
War Horse (2011)
Lincoln (2012)
Bridge of Spies (2015)
The BFG (2016)
I think this is more accurate. And I suspect what happened was he realized he could make bad movies that earn him lots of money.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Fatkraken posted:

War horse was pretty bad. I saw the play, which was really good, the movie was weirdly disjointed and twee.

to be serious for a second War Horse did have some nice shots of the english countryside

it also (and i don't know if the previews made this obvious) had a horse that engages in acts of warfare

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Tintin was well-crafted and gives me hope for The BFG. Bridge of Spies might be good too. Aging populist directors aren't ever going to be powerhouses tho.

Ready Player One is going to be unfilmable dreck no matter who touches it. 80's fetishism is even right up Spielberg's alley and it won't help.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Mad Monk posted:

If there's any such thing as an underrated Spielberg movie it would have to Empire of the Sun. I love that movie and it very rarely comes up in discussions about Spielberg.

Yeah Empire is a great film and it's weird seeing a tiny Christian Bale in it.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
So, Spielberg is making a movie out of the best gun in Doom?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Tarquinn posted:

no, just ur mom

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Tarquinn posted:

Naw. It's a children's book by a guy who hates children. Kind of like Lemony Snicket but unironic.

Roald Dahl owns. Hope they don't Disney it up too bad.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

kindermord posted:

these + Duel are the only things he's done that approach greatness, and ET can be hard to watch because of the overload of sentimentality, but it's still a great family/kids movie. Close Encounters also suffers from occasional over-indulgence in Spielberg Magic.

so it's actually been 3.4 decades since he made a great movie.

imo shiksawife, the Twilight Zone drama, and simply chasing his own legend are what did him in.

:rip: steven spielberg u made a few really awesome flicks

Et was loving poo poo dude

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Remember for the ET dvd they replaced the guns people were holding with walkitalkies?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
thats the best thing about ET because it's pretty funy

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
e: ah gently caress it, beaten like a whore horse

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I remember when ET came out. People were lined up for blocks and camping waiting to see that movie. When I finally got to see it I was anticipating the best movie ever created but by the end I was thinking I got duped.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes

Frostwerks posted:

Et was loving poo poo dude

i saw it recently for the first time in probably 20 years and i admit i had the same thought during parts of it. those tended to be the super sugary sweet and tearjerky parts. but on the whole it's pretty well made and tells a story way better than the poo poo movies he's made since. so my verdict: a great kids movie. but yeah i probably won't watch it again for at least another 20 years and then only out of nostalgic curiosity.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
TinTin, Super 8, True Grit.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
ET is great. If you want to see truly unbearable saccharine poo poo, watch his segment from the Twilight Zone movie.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
<final scene of Munich>

"We did the right thing to kill the people responsible. . . "

<camera zooms in on WTC>

Spielberg: "DON'T CRITICIZE ISRAEL! REMEMBER WHO THE REAL ENEMY IS!"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
munich was so god drat boring

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
The best part of Munich was when they didn't know how much plastic explosive to put under the bed.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Catch me if you can is a good film you retards.

Also Columbo is the greatest television show so youre only all half stupidly wrong.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ave Azaria posted:

ET is great. If you want to see truly unbearable saccharine poo poo, watch his segment from the Twilight Zone movie.

Unlike ET, this movie was most definitely not kid friendly.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Blistex posted:

<final scene of Munich>

"We did the right thing to kill the people responsible. . . "

<camera zooms in on WTC>

Spielberg: "DON'T CRITICIZE ISRAEL! REMEMBER WHO THE REAL ENEMY IS!"

i thought the final scene was the guy creampieing the poo poo out of his prego wife or was that some other s'berg flick

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Munich had some gnarly death scenes. Guy stabbed in head with kitchen knife. Guy shot apart by ak47s. Very brutal. Also that big tit assassin that they kill. Generally it's not a very pleasant movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

:agreed:

It's like watching Kubrick waste his time with Eyes Wide Shut.

The only movie he wasted time on was Fear and Desire. It's shite.

Not even Crystal Skull is as bad as that garbage movie.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Egbert Souse posted:

The only movie he wasted time on was Fear and Desire. It's shite.

Not even Crystal Skull is as bad as that garbage movie.

The bluray can be yours for the low price of $35!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spielberg is seriously one of the best filmmakers alive. He may not have the flair of others, but he can direct the hell out of movies. He's in the same league as the greats like John Ford and Howard Hawks.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
Spielberg's "Hiroshima"

there steven I just made you a trillion dollars and multiple awards

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Super8 would have been good if they took out everything besides a bunch of kids making a dumb movie.

gently caress it I'm just gonna go watch Stand By Me again

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Egbert Souse posted:

Spielberg is seriously one of the best filmmakers alive. He may not have the flair of others, but he can direct the hell out of movies. He's in the same league as the greats like John Ford and Howard Hawks.

This. His cv is still remarkable even if you don't care for many of his films.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mad Monk posted:

I remember when ET came out. People were lined up for blocks and camping waiting to see that movie. When I finally got to see it I was anticipating the best movie ever created but by the end I was thinking I got duped.

You know the loving travesty with ET?

The Thing bombed because people wanted friendly aliens like ET. The best horror movie of all time wasn't really discovered until the drat 90s.

Egbert Souse posted:

He's good but I think he's a bit overrated. He's a working highly involved filmmaker that has produced some really high hits, and at worst has produced a"meh" level films. Sure he's been producing less and less hits but he's not the worst. I just think there's some other directors out there that could probably push him off the top 10 or 20.

At least he's trying to make new projects and try things and isn't just going to ride out the rest of his career making movies nobody wants, such as James Cameron. Even if you hate Avatar you can't blame it on bad direction, though. Bad script (and thus the director, in this case) sure, but the directing of the script as written was top notch.

My biggest problem with Speilberg though is the fact he likes to kind of insert his opinion on all of Hollywood, like some kind of godfather of cinema; you might get elevated if you kiss his ring enough.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 10, 2015

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The last movie I enjoyed by Steven Spielberg was Munich, which came out in 2005. He made so many good movies before, what gives?

the answer is cocaine, he stopped using it

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I really want him and Hanks to produce a miniseries on the Korean war. They could follow Winters even?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Simstim posted:

the answer is cocaine, he stopped using it

Ah, the Scorsese effect.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

jaws is my favorite spielberg movie

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
While were talking about good directors can somebody explain Woody Allen to me? His popularity is a joke right? People from new york are just loving with people by pretending he's great just to see how many people play along trying to look smart?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Hobohemian posted:

While were talking about good directors can somebody explain Woody Allen to me? His popularity is a joke right? People from new york are just loving with people by pretending he's great just to see how many people play along trying to look smart?

i bet former Subway spokesman jared likes woody allen a lot

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Hobohemian posted:

He made some funny movies before he thought he was Ingmar Bergman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyMick
Feb 1, 2014

Blue Train posted:

Spielberg is a hack and falling skies was garbage

I thought that Falling Skies was great with the utter lack of continuity they had going-on.

• Locked thread