Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Lifepuzzler posted:

Loving this game, I just purchased the OST because its fantastic. Reminds me a lot of FEZ in some of the more ambient songs.

Problem is I always get stuck on some simple bullshit.
How do I even get goddamn dad's medicine? I can get the mouse into the building through the vent but it seems like he bugs out and runs under the door then refuses to run into the building any further?

edit1:Hmm, actually never mind I just stumbled into the guy in the graveyard. Maybe that was it.

You're on the right track, but you've gotta sneak in at night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Arrrthritis posted:

How the heck do I enter The mines? So far i've Gotten the card from the CEO's office, and dug up all the dead bodies in front of them. I want to use the flute-ish looking thing or combine it with something but idk what and I wanna rescue my doggie :(

There is someone in the city that seems to be somehow involved with the mines. He can help you with the "flute"-thing.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Arrrthritis posted:

How the heck do I enter The mines? So far i've Gotten the card from the CEO's office, and dug up all the dead bodies in front of them. I want to use the flute-ish looking thing or combine it with something but idk what and I wanna rescue my doggie :(

read the guy before me's hint first, mine just basically tells you :P

you have to to bring the mine protester guy near the record store the broken handle thing found in the mine exterior, and he'll help you out. also, he has a missing loved one who may also be able to help. look at all of his pictures and things in his area.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Gaspy Conana posted:

read the guy before me's hint first, mine just basically tells you :P

you have to to bring the mine protester guy near the record store the broken handle thing found in the mine exterior, and he'll help you out. also, he has a missing loved one who may also be able to help. look at all of his pictures and things in his area.

Ahhh okay. So I think if I know what i'm supposed to do then.

I need to find the dude's loved one for the other lever, who is probably at the island anti-vampire cult, who I probably need to collect all the book pages to talk to.

Or maybe they're somewhere else in the world. Dropsy best be searching.

e: Or I could just fix the boat. That too.

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 11, 2015

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Does anyone know how to get the vampire mask? I've gotten pretty far and I have the locket but I can't seem to do much or anything with it.

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Does anyone know how to get the vampire mask? I've gotten pretty far and I have the locket but I can't seem to do much or anything with it.

I was stuck without it for a while, so no hint, just the simple one step process of:
go to the graveyard at night

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I forgot what I ordered, just that I think it cost $25 and it was bought after the kickstarter. How would I find out what I picked up?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Lifepuzzler posted:

I was stuck without it for a while, so no hint, just the simple one step process of:
go to the graveyard at night

Sick. That was easy. Now I'm stuck on finding a bone for the soup. I can't even remember where one might be ugh.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
^^^ mine

RandomPauI posted:

I forgot what I ordered, just that I think it cost $25 and it was bought after the kickstarter. How would I find out what I picked up?

Do you know if you used paypal or humble? If humble, they should be sending you a key. You got two soundtracks and a 100 page book of sketches/charts/other scribblings of mine. :)

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Just a warning for all of you completionists out there. Going to The Circus after your travels in The Mines is the game's point of no return, so do whatever you can during that time.

Ending spoilers

Overall I loved the game. Wish I could have spent more time to figure out the stuff going on with the side characters/mini-dropsy in the game. I feel like you did a fantastic job with the lack of dialogue and speech, and provided an incredible in-game explanation for it as well. I laughed for a good 10 seconds at the big dramatic reveal of your adopted mother's note to you being completely incomprehensible, and I kind your father was a bit more vague about Dropsy being an alien. That's just my preference, however, the scene works great on its own and complements an already fantastic game.

I did enjoy the bit at the ending where everyone you did help was talking to the police and playing dumb. ofc I did see the church lady sitting down smoking cigs at the playground to remind me of my own failures, but w/e, I'll be going back into the game and 100%ing it at some point.

I did get a bit of a pan's labyrinth feeling from the end of the game, where you had the sense that maybe everything going on wasn't quite what it was on the surface- especially when Dropsy's animal friends are back in the ship, unharmed. I think that was a good call of leaving the ending open to interpretation.

Also, hoped that translating the note on the computer would yield more than a thank you letter to a Doctor, but hey w/e it's cool that there was a consistency behind all the scribblings in the game.

Does the ending change depending on how much of the side stuff you complete? What if you assemble the statue?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Hmmmm but how do you get the dog back? I got the bird to send the cart the Area 1, which I assume is the junkyard. Or did it do something else?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was mistaken, I didn't order it like I thought. Doh!

Which way of purchasing the game gives you the biggest cut of money?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Reminder that you can pre-order the Dropsy soundtrack on limited edition vinyl.

Looks like the release date for it got pushed back though, and won't be out until late October-ish?

I love this game and I love this soundtrack. Chris Schlarb did real good.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Hmmmm but how do you get the dog back? I got the bird to send the cart the Area 1, which I assume is the junkyard. Or did it do something else?

yeah you sent him where you thought you did. you just need to gain access to the junkyard now

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009
Potential spoilers I guess
Does Dropsy ever learn how to read, or do I have to try to bust out cryptoskillz or something to read the note in the abandoned gnome home?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Wow. Managed to figure it all out and got to the end. That ending...jesus christ.

I'm kinda sad it's over already.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
heh heh. did you predict any of it at all?

Lifepuzzler posted:

Potential spoilers I guess
Does Dropsy ever learn how to read, or do I have to try to bust out cryptoskillz or something to read the note in the abandoned gnome home?

that would've been neat, ha, but yeah you just have to translate everything if you really want to know. it's just an english glyph replacement thingy. if you look at some obvious things like the hopsital (the front sign reads HOSPITAL) it's pretty easy to parse

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009

Gaspy Conana posted:

that would've been neat, ha, but yeah you just have to translate everything if you really want to know. it's just an english glyph replacement thingy. if you look at some obvious things like the hopsital (the front sign reads HOSPITAL) it's pretty easy to parse

Cool, just wanted to know if it'd be worth my time after I beat it for some of the more odd pieces of art around the game.

Edit: Also I am really impressed with the game so far, I finally found my point-n-click 8 year old inner self that used to exist when I played Secret of Atlantis back in the day.

Lifepuzzler fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 11, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I feel REALLY dumb, but I beat the game with some missing things. I'm running it again to try and catch whatever I might have missed.

where is the horn and how do I get it? I feel like I missed something super obvious here.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
This game is the most feel-good game I've played in ages. Last night I came home after a really long day, found that I'd received my Dropsy activation code, installed it and played it for a couple of hours. I love everything about it.

As a person who played through most of the classic LucasArts adventure games as a kid but got really frustrated with some of the more obtuse puzzles, I love the fact that the game doesn't have any puzzles that require lots of gamey thinking. I did get stuck in one part but while I was trying to figure out the solution I was happy to just roam around and do a few of the so-called Hug puzzles, and even in those there was a really nice feeling of flow when I could simply figure the puzzles out by figuring out what the person in question wanted based on their dialogue bubbles.

My favorite was stealing the sandwich from the church by blasting metal on the cassette player to distract the weird preacher woman so I could give the old lady a sandwich. Although I wonder how I'm supposed to help the preacher woman: she spends every night smoking on the slide, her dialogue bubbles suggesting that she's sad about the lack of people at the church. I tried playing cool dance music on the cassette player to attract people to the church, but that sadly didn't work. I take it I might have to find a way to spread the word about her church somehow?

However, I also love that there's a dark edge to the game's feel-good nature: some of the dream sequences are genuinely creepy.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am sorry, are the kickstarter keys completely sent yet? I have yet to see mine. Then again I may be just impatient.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Ratpick posted:

Although I wonder how I'm supposed to help the preacher woman: she spends every night smoking on the slide, her dialogue bubbles suggesting that she's sad about the lack of people at the church. I tried playing cool dance music on the cassette player to attract people to the church, but that sadly didn't work. I take it I might have to find a way to spread the word about her church somehow?

That one was kinda tricky for me too. I didn't figure it out until I started this second run. There's a set of keys in a mouse hole behind the church. they go to locker latch on the inside of the church.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

heh heh. did you predict any of it at all?

The only thing I was able to get was Beardo being the primary antagonist of the game. It seemed to make sense that in a place where everyone is initially openly hostile, the guy who comes across as understanding would be the one most out to harm Dropsy.

That he was Dropsy's alien older brother I didn't get until the big reveal.

I also figured there would be a moment where everyone you helped would stick up for you but hey that's pretty much a necessity in feel-good stuff.

My initial thoughts were that Dropsy's dad was going to die 2/3rds of the way through the game, and by the end of the game Dropsy would have found a place in and be accepted by the community that feared him in a way that turns him self-sufficient. When Dropsy's dad got better everything was thrown for a loop and I was just along for the ride.

All in all I thought the game had a pretty great ending.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Oh man, good, that's probably the optimal response to the ending. Also, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it everyone!

Unlucky7 posted:

I am sorry, are the kickstarter keys completely sent yet? I have yet to see mine. Then again I may be just impatient.

Nah, I totally messed up a spreadsheet I uploaded to mailchimp so I've been brute force sending chunks of them because I'm not sure who actually got theirs. I'll hit ya up directly. :)

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 11, 2015

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009
Okay I am stumped again, been wandering around for far too long

How do I send the cart back to the junkyard? I sent the cart to point 2 really early on the first time I was at the junkyard, but now the bird goes into the room with the monitors and it doesnt look like it can do anything.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Lifepuzzler posted:

Okay I am stumped again, been wandering around for far too long

How do I send the cart back to the junkyard? I sent the cart to point 2 really early on the first time I was at the junkyard, but now the bird goes into the room with the monitors and it doesnt look like it can do anything.

you have to send it from the inside of the mine in the northern part of the map

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Colon Semicolon posted:

That one was kinda tricky for me too. I didn't figure it out until I started this second run. There's a set of keys in a mouse hole behind the church. they go to locker latch on the inside of the church.

Oh, cool! I was just joined by the little rat buddy and had already noticed the mouse hole, so I was going to do that next anyway!

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Arrrthritis posted:

That he was Dropsy's alien older brother I didn't get until the big reveal.

All in all I thought the game had a pretty great ending.

Wow, I completely missed that somehow. In the ending sequence it made sense that he was an alien too based on the weird experiments plus the whole alien baby crib extras but I didn't catch that. Then again I played it start to finish with no breaks so...

The ending was pretty loving awesome. I think this is one of the only games with a twist ending like that I really enjoyed instead of getting angry and yelling out a "this is bullshit!" in the gooniest voice I can.

A+ Will be playing through again alongside my friends when they wake up.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Gaspy Conana posted:

Oh man, good, that's probably the optimal response to the ending. Also, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it everyone!

Nah, I totally messed up a spreadsheet I uploaded to mailchimp so I've been brute force sending chunks of them because I'm not sure who actually got theirs. I'll hit ya up directly. :)

Thank you so much! I think I will buy an extra copy at one of the other online stores out of appreciation!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
There's probably lots of examples of games that do this glyph replacement thing, for one most recent example of a game that did it in a cool way without requiring taking notes was Homesick (homesick spoiler: you basically find glyph toy cubes which you assign them to the letter you think they represent, and then all text in the game has this glyph replaced by the character you assigned

I am now going around the game translating stuff I missed or thought they were just flavor text :D. And I did completely miss the note in the rickety trailer house.

Also, I had previously finished the game without using the skeleton hand, so just for funsies I tried giving that to the soup lady at the junkyard instead of the glowing yellow (duck?) bone, and I was surprised to see that she was happy to use it anyway! Hahah!.

Though, I tried something similar earlier, as a possible alternative solution to a puzzle and it didn't work. Basically, it is possible to visit the junkyard site with your dad before giving the old homeless lady a sandwich; at which point you can get an extra creamy fudge thing from the fridge at the junkyard. I thought I could give that to the homeless lady... but that didn't work

And, I hadn't noticed before, but apparently Dropsy will randomly choose one of the tapes he has in his pockets to play while traveling with the car!

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 11, 2015

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Wow, I completely missed that somehow. In the ending sequence it made sense that he was an alien too based on the weird experiments plus the whole alien baby crib extras but I didn't catch that. Then again I played it start to finish with no breaks so...

Yeah, I only had a hunch about it when You're going underneath the abandoned trailer, and you see two pods that are similar to Dropsy's, and a picture of both Dropsy and another clown with blood coming out of their faces. My suspicions were confirmed when I read the Book of Secrets.

I feel like so much of this game is open to interpretation that it's fair game to draw your own conclusions from the ending. A friend's interpretation of it is that Dropsy is as developmentally disabled as we think he is, and the fact that things get more surreal the more you stray away from home is his disability and inability to comprehend the environment making itself manifest- we are seeing the world through Dropsy's lens, after all, and him going to unfamiliar places can give everything an incredibly alien vibe.

He also thinks that Dropsy's dad actually did die and everything after that was Dropsy coming up with a rationalization for why a stranger would want to hurt him and his friends, with the spaceship sequence being Dropsy's afterlife.

It's very clearly not what was intended, but I think a lot of the fun of this game is seeing what conclusions people come to with the evidence provided.

Another thing about the Book of Secrets. On one of the first pages There is the entire glyph alphabet in a small blue font.

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Sep 11, 2015

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Gaspy Conana posted:

^^^ I'm brute force sending all of the keys today. It may take a while, but you'll get it soon enough. :)

You should have it by now? Check your humble account maybe. They're on weird business hours.

I you've finished sending them, I haven't gotten it. I'm on Humble, under my usual email address.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

BiggerJ posted:

I you've finished sending them, I haven't gotten it. I'm on Humble, under my usual email address.

If you preordered through Humble the email you got confirming your order should have a link to your personal download page.

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009
Beautiful.

Beautiful game.

I never figured out how to help the little girl though :colbert:

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Ratpick posted:

If you preordered through Humble the email you got confirming your order should have a link to your personal download page.

I backed via Paypal during the Kickstarter. The Humble Store talk confused me.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 11, 2015

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
On a similar note, Jay, how are the beta testers getting the extra stuff such as the Book of Secrets and the soundtrack? Will our copy on Steam be upgraded?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
There's a few things bothering me as I play through it again with my friend:

Where do you use the bracelet with all the religious symbols on it? I haven't found any applicable situations for that.

Goddamn alien chaser dude. I can't figure out where to get the whistle/flute to get rings from the alien.

and finally:

What's up with the hospital? Is that location locked with no way in?

edit: Forgot about this one! The purple bead things you get from the miner redhead. Nobody seems to want them!

Horrible Smutbeast fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Sep 11, 2015

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

There's a few things bothering me as I play through it again with my friend:
Where do you use the bracelet with all the religious symbols on it? I haven't found any applicable situations for that.

Inside the church. There is a locked window.
The bracelet used to have a combination to the lock and you would have to put it manually, but this was dropped during the beta.

A lot of puzzles changed for the better, but I think I liked this one better as it was originally.

quote:

Goddamn alien chaser dude. I can't figure out where to get the whistle/flute to get rings from the alien.
You use the whistle in the alien cave to the west of the map

quote:

and finally:

What's up with the hospital? Is that location locked with no way in?
I think it's only there to tell you that you can't afford proper medical care, and so Dropsy has to steal the experimental drug

quote:

edit: Forgot about this one! The purple bead things you get from the miner redhead. Nobody seems to want them!
This will make sense (probably) when you solve one of the above puzzles

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

AbstractNapper posted:

A lot of puzzles changed for the better, but I think I liked this one better as it was originally.

You use the whistle in the alien cave to the west of the map

Ah, cute! It's neat seeing the leftover bits of the older versions of puzzles like that.

As for the whistle, would you happen to know where it is? I can't seem to get one.

edit- oh no, did that one coin I pick up and give to the homeless guy glitch me out???

Horrible Smutbeast fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

As for the whistle, would you happen to know where it is? I can't seem to get one.
Oh, I thought you were asking where to use it. Sorry that I gave that away.
You can get a whistle from the guy in an alien costume in a trailer north of the city - close to the junkyard.
You'll have to pay for it.

• Locked thread