Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Winson_Paine posted:

I CAN TASTE PISS

i can't think of any good pee puns and it's making me feel a little pisspirited :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Winson_Paine posted:

I CAN TASTE PISS

But did you get head?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Ningyou posted:

i can't think of any good pee puns and it's making me feel a little pisspirited :(

Urine trouble for this piss-poor pun.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I have been pondering how to make PBP move quicker since I want to give Hillfolk another shake. I was thinking that maybe restricting times when people should be posting so that everybody's time to post is roughly around the same timeframe, but they can go eat dinner or whatever, just as long as people complete a scene within the day's end (or whatever, using Hillfolk as an example). It's difficult to maintain an expectation that people will keep engagement for a game like Hillfolk if it takes a week to complete a scene (and, as I had noted in my old Hillfolk recruitment thread, a session in general would take a month with even the minimum amount of players). Any ideas on speeding up the process in general?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Ningyou posted:

Urine luck, ammonia single man but wee can share our puns. Ureally want to make them?

(You're in, I'm only a, you really, oh god why?! It hurts!)

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
So, my Burning Wheel campaign set in the Kingdom of Jerusalem has officially moved from the idea stage to the actual planning stage. I've been talking with a friend of mine (a guy who's really into the middle ages as well as theology) about the tone of the campaign, and we both agreed that because we want a semi-historical campaign Sorcery is going to be right out. I was a bit reticent about including Faith at first, but he persuaded me with the argument that even if we don't want overtly supernatural effects in the game, the Faith mechanics are easily refluffed as a sort of "Hey, that guy is really righteous and he's preaching about the religion I like, I'm feeling so +1D right now!" thing. We'll just have to remove the more overtly supernatural effects of Faith, but that's easily done because they're all at the top of the Faith test obstacles.

We also started thinking about languages, which is a whole can of worms given the setting: Old French was the language of the ruling class in Jerusalem, but a lot of the crusader overlords were also fluent in Arabic, Greek and Hebrew in addition to their own language. What I'm thinking is that all characters will automatically be able to speak Old French as well as whatever language make sense given their background, and all other languages will be handled through the Foreign Languages skill. This will inevitably put Frankish characters behind other characters in terms of languages spoken, but that I feel is a small price to pay for the fact that the Franks were basically the upper class of the Kingdom with all the other groups being treated as second-class citizens.

Alternately we'll just ignore the language question altogether and assume everyone is a polyglot just to make things simpler.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Error 404 posted:

But did you get head?

penis in ear = dance all night

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Ningyou posted:

ugh, the puns have started, clear the urea

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain Foo posted:

penis in ear = dance all night

Eyes.
Goggles.
Nothing.
:gonk:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Error 404 posted:

Eyes.
Goggles.
Nothing.
:gonk:

5 golden manbabies for this, good sir

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Captain Foo posted:

5 golden manbabies for this, good sir

img-timeline

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Drone posted:

img-timeline

:cb:

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
I'd write a bigpeeler story for the thread to contribute but I don't have the dedication for that.

Actually, just go listen to "Risk". It's basically the bigpeeler of podcasts.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 11, 2015

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ratpick posted:

Alternately we'll just ignore the language question altogether and assume everyone is a polyglot just to make things simpler.

When I was running my Ars Magica pbp set in the same region, I just went with 'Everyone important speaks Latin, Arabic, or both', unless I wanted to make a point otherwise.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Tell us about Partycat again, grandpa Winson.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Anyone here going to the juicer?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

fool_of_sound posted:

When I was running my Ars Magica pbp set in the same region, I just went with 'Everyone important speaks Latin, Arabic, or both', unless I wanted to make a point otherwise.

Yeah, I think this is the best way to do it. Having a language difficulty is cool to have as an obstacle once or twice, but making it the norm sucks. Lucky for my new campaign, basically everyone in Ptolemaic Egypt spoke Greek! :v:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Whoa.

FFG just bought L5R.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/9/11/a-new-emperor-rises/

Looks like the plan is to wind down the current CCG then relaunch it in 2017 as a Living Card Game.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

grassy gnoll posted:

Tell us about Partycat again, grandpa Winson.
:fiesta:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FMguru posted:

Whoa.

FFG just bought L5R.

Looks like the plan is to wind down the current CCG then relaunch it in 2017 as a Living Card Game.

That's probably for the best. I imagine it'd do better as a LCG.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

FMguru posted:

Whoa.

FFG just bought L5R.

Oh poo poo!

I wonder what this means for the RPGs, they already had super high production values. Maybe FFG can actually keep them in print. The 4th edition line already feels really complete, so if the game just ceases to have new releases it's in a good place.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 11, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Swagger Dagger posted:

Oh poo poo!

I wonder what this means for the RPGs, they already had super high production values. Maybe FFG can actually keep them in print. The 4th edition line already feels really complete, so if the game just ceases to have new releases it's in a good place.

They'll be releasing a new RPG line where each great clan gets its own standalone game.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I would unironically enjoy that. If I have one problem with L5R, it's that it doesn't have the faintest idea what it wants to be about.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

Yeah, but the rules are kinda weird and mediocre. 50/50 chance if FFG makes it better or just shifts it into a different kind of mediocre.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Awesome, people have been saying for a while that it should be an LCG, and I kinda like that idea. Might have to get back into it.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Kai Tave posted:

They'll be releasing a new RPG line where each great clan gets its own standalone game.

Actually, this is a pretty good idea. You could really focus each game on each clan's themes.

...I kind of want to write it now, or at least something with the serial numbers filed off that could work.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If they do a new RPG I unironically hope it uses their WFRP3E/Star Wars style dice system.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Captain Walker posted:

I'm gonna try running my dream campaign once more, this time in Strike!. I'm envisioning a crypto-Metal Gear high action spy-fi thing. Unfortunately most of my players are not familiar with MGS. How do I get them in the right frame of mind? We'll probably run a test session as a kind of prologue.

Show them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM33Hr94SKw

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxeGVdcH57E

Someone make this politician d20. There is a market.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

AEG has a Munchkin-level hit in Smash Up. L5R will be better-handled by FFG; they can actually build a game that feels at home in the 21st century.

I have always wanted to love the CCG, but it's so ridiculously arcane.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Zurui posted:

I have always wanted to love the CCG, but it's so ridiculously arcane.

And we already have Magic for that.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Good news, everyone! Eoris books are not laced with drugs!

quote:

Dear TRPG community, 

I have recently been made aware of the fact that the Eoris Essence books have a particular scent on its pages that some may not recognise and may misconstrued to believe it is something else. I am very aware of the various mechanisms used to smuggle illegal substances to your homelands and take the matter with the absolute seriousness is deserves. While I understand the implication to be a joke, some, including members of my people, may not, and thus I write this letter.
My country has gone through for more than thirty years of war, suffering and social unrest because of the social and political effects of drugs in our global community. We have earned a horrid and misplaced fame regarding these substances and have fought to the brink of despair to prove to the world we are much more than just a hub for criminals. 
Eoris Essence share many qualities with Colombians. It is a product of love and dedication and success despite its surrounding circumstances. And, like its people, it has been misunderstood and critiqued (both fairly and unfairly) and sometimes even hated. And while the books may have their faults, being a vehicle for smuggling is not one of them. 
The scent may be caused by the high levels of ink that were used on each page and the high quality paper which was bought from Japan in 2010 prior to printing the books. The printer used a form of technology that allowed for a quick-dry of heavier elements so that lighter colours, like yellow or pink, could take hold of the paper without it smudging or looking blurry. This included the use of several binding chemicals. I, personally, was the director and reviser of the printing process and checked every single page with a magnifying glass for mistakes. I hope the community will not believe there is any form of substance on its pages other than high quality ink and blank paper. 
It is my solemn promise, as an honourable man and a member of a community of 48 million people who live honest, hardworking lives, that the Eoris Books have no form of illegal substances imbued on its pages.

Sincerely, 

Daniel Torres
Creator of Eoris Essence

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Plague of Hats posted:

Good news, everyone! Eoris books are not laced with drugs!

:psyduck:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

well he didn't say anything about it not acting like drugs when you read it, just that it doesn't contain any

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
This hobby is loving wild

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

SNORTS A LINE OF FINELY SHREDDED ELFGAME PAGE

"ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhghghghgghfuck that's the good stuff" i muse to myself before dressing up like an ethereal faerie princess and flipping over a cop car in a terrifying blur of wonder and whimsy and cocaine-fueled rage

a bloodcurdling scream escapes my lips as the few surviving onlookers stare, frozen and horrified

"that's like five xp right"

"does eoris have xp"

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ningyou posted:

SNORTS A LINE OF FINELY SHREDDED ELFGAME PAGE

"ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhghghghgghfuck that's the good stuff" i muse to myself before dressing up like an ethereal faerie princess and flipping over a cop car in a terrifying blur of wonder and whimsy and cocaine-fueled rage

a bloodcurdling scream escapes my lips as the few surviving onlookers stare, frozen and horrified

"that's like five xp right"

"does eoris have xp"

:psydwarf:

Oh wait. That explains this guy.

http://www.vocativ.com/underworld/crime/exclusive-interview-elf-dropped-acid-jousted-car/

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
don't see eye to e~y~e

at first i was like haha that's funny and also kind of vicariously embarrassing but with the mental illness and drug abuse stuff it's just kind of depressing :ohdear:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The hubcap shield makes that story. Dude was just hoping to find a better one in the loot parcel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Excuse me sir. That's clearly a hubcap buckler

:frogout:

• Locked thread