Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
Played through to the end in one long stretch, then returned to a previous save to try and see all the content I realized I missed.

It's fantastic, walking a fine line with its tone to stay suitably absurd but also very touching. I was super impressed by the audio and visuals which really bring Dropsy's crazy world and its inhabitants to life.

The trickiest aspect of the game for me was keeping in mind the time system. I'd forget about it, and subsequently not realize an area could potentially have more options and events if I came back at a different time. With it in mind, solutions and item usage seemed really fair. No absurd aventure-gameisms that just leave you scratching your head, thank goodness.

You did a great job Gaspy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
I want to be angry, but it's just too clever.

Props for making it so if you use the one coin on the homeless guy, you find the second one in the payphone change slot. That tiny, tiny slot. Brilliant.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I want to be angry, but it's just too clever.

Props for making it so if you use the one coin on the homeless guy, you find the second one in the payphone change slot. That tiny, tiny slot. Brilliant.
Actually, there's at least 3 coins. Under the fridge, on top of a post near the slide, and in the payphone.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Everdraed posted:

Actually, there's at least 3 coins. Under the fridge, on top of a post near the slide, and in the payphone.

And a fourth one in the pocket of a costume in the costume store..
I actually didn't know about the one in the payphone

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

AbstractNapper posted:

And a fourth one in the pocket of a costume in the costume store..
I actually didn't know about the one in the payphone
Oh you're right, I think that was actually the first one I found and used and totally forgot about it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I still haven't received my Kickstarter key!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Repost for new page - I don't have my key yet, either. I backed via Paypal during the Kickstarter.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

BiggerJ posted:

Repost for new page - I don't have my key yet, either. I backed via Paypal during the Kickstarter.

Same here. I never responded to the beta invite since I didn't want to spoil it.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Bill Posters posted:

Same here. I never responded to the beta invite since I didn't want to spoil it.

I got a beta key too but I never used it for the same reason. I just used it and although it initially said 'Dropsy for Beta Testing', it seems to have given me the full version.

Also, I was told that some extra content, including at least one new area, is going to be added in an update. Is that still going to happen?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Can't seem to find any information...has the iOS version been delayed?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Yeah, Gaspy's said in recent interviews there'll be a new beach area that'll be added in the coming weeks

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

This may be something everyone knew already or don't care about, but I saw Dropsy was featured in my Steam home-screen rotation. I thought that was pretty cool to see.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
So, I totally goofed the spreadsheet for the $25+ backers and am having to redo the mailchimp stuff now. You guys should get yer keys today. We're still waiting on GOG/Humble to send us a batch of keys. Any backers who requested from those DDs are gonna have to wait until they come in.

BiggerJ posted:

You should have your key. I did paypal backers last night. Maybe search your inbox? I will check and re-send ASAP regardless!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Jay I haven't gotten my code :cry:

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Caitlin posted:

Jay I haven't gotten my code :cry:

It's comin it's comin! I've almost got it sorted!

My huge idiot mistake was making the backer surveys have a column that let people type in what Digital Distributor they wanted instead of giving a drop-down-box. While most backers type GOG, Humble, or Steam, some typed hilarious stuff like GEE OH GEE or GABE NEWELL. So basically I'm having to organize an enormous spreadsheet and pluck out all of the comedy responses and put them in the appropriate zones. I hate 2013 Jay.

Also paypal has a HORRIBLE UI. Like, really dang bad. There's no way to export a list of people who have purchased Item#0001.

Anyway, it'll be there within an hour I'm sure.

Lifepuzzler
Nov 5, 2009
So I listened to the soundtrack today, and I was a little disappointed that the album never climaxed with the incredible song/songs/split up song from the dreams... it makes the slightly jazzy rocky soundtrack contrast with grungy drone/happy stuff..

where can I get this/these song(s)?

edit: Or was that stuff Jay and the other stuff Chris... that's probably it huh

Mystery solved. For those interested here's the two albums and you can buy them seperately and give these gents MONEY.
Chris Schlarb - Dropsy (Pleasant Adventure Music)
Jay Tholan - Dropsy: Eternal Hug EP (Fun dreams and nightmares!)

Lifepuzzler fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 11, 2015

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
All keys should be sent now except for GOG. Still waiting on those myself.
If you don't have yours, search your inbox, then email me at dropsytheclown @ gmail!

Lifepuzzler posted:

So I listened to the soundtrack today, and I was a little disappointed that the album never climaxed with the incredible song/songs/split up song from the dreams... it makes the slightly jazzy rocky soundtrack contrast with grungy drone/happy stuff..

where can I get this/these song(s)?

edit: Or was that stuff Jay and the other stuff Chris... that's probably it huh

Mystery solved. For those interested here's the two albums and you can buy them seperately and give these gents MONEY.
Chris Schlarb - Dropsy (Pleasant Adventure Music)
Jay Tholan - Dropsy: Eternal Hug EP (Fun dreams and nightmares!)

Thanks!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I was so happy to finally figure out how to make the girl with the dead flower happy. It's the simple successes that really make it all worthwhile, like this:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this game is cool and good and you are a cool and good guy.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yo - saw the email you sent just now. I haven't received a key. I backed during the Kickstarter at $10 and specified Steam.

e: thanks Jay! That's really great of you :)

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 11, 2015

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Aw thanks guys! We'll have a post-weekend update with most bugs addressed and hopefully achievements.

Jordan7hm posted:

Yo - saw the email you sent just now. I haven't received a key. I backed during the Kickstarter at $10 and specified Steam.

Email is jordandalyfrey at gmail.

Sent a PM >: )

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I missed the Kickstarter but I enjoyed the original thread years ago so much I got the Warm Damp Hug Edition off Steam. Hopefully you get some money from that.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Fantastic game, though I wish the game made an autosave before you enter the point of no return, while still having all companions. There were a few people left that I hadn't helped, and I definitely hadn't found all the peeing spots.

Though there were some things I wonder about - that tree in the first forest, it's selectable but I don't think it was a peeing spot. What was up with that? Also, in the mine after you fly with the chick through the canyon to press the button, there seems to be a mouse hole in that room, but I didn't see any way to get in there. Just an alternate way of solving it?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

ymgve posted:

Though there were some things I wonder about - that tree in the first forest, it's selectable but I don't think it was a peeing spot. What was up with that? Also, in the mine after you fly with the chick through the canyon to press the button, there seems to be a mouse hole in that room, but I didn't see any way to get in there. Just an alternate way of solving it?

For the tree you can hug it. Anything you can interact with but not use items on usually is a hugging spot or something for the dog to pee on,

For the mine, You need the keycard from the boss' office (sneak in at night again) to use the elevator. You can then bring Dropsy and your crew upstairs into the obelisk area and the mouse can drop down.

Those took me a fair while to get through. Felt like the puzzles were never hard, just a little confusing at times because of the learning curve to figure out what people want and how you interact with things.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This is a very sweet game.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
How do I get garlic? None of the Thor-worshiping vampire slayers will give any to me. :(

EDIT: Oh, right, of course I just needed to get it at night. :doh:

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 12, 2015

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Thanks guys, I'm glad you're enjoying it! An update with achievements and a few bug fixes is coming soon. Volume sliders are something I also want to get in, but probably not for the next update.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
Making good progress. One thing I haven't been able to work out is where the lead singer for the band spends his time. I thought he was the guy working on his truck, but once I got him to come out from underneath the truck, I discovered I was incorrect. It seems like he should still be in that general area, but I haven't crossed paths with him yet.

edit: OH, hah, figured it out via trial and error. The hair color should have been my big clue that I wasn't seeing through the stage makeup.

EricFate fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 12, 2015

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Text is a simple glyph replacement if you want to learn how to "read" in this game. I don't think there's anything mind blowing you gain from doing this, but I dunno, I got a special sense of accomplishment when I deciphered the sign above the hospital and learned it said "hospital" :shobon:

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Ballz posted:

Text is a simple glyph replacement if you want to learn how to "read" in this game. I don't think there's anything mind blowing you gain from doing this, but I dunno, I got a special sense of accomplishment when I deciphered the sign above the hospital and learned it said "hospital" :shobon:

Hah! "Hospital" is there as kind of a key, since there aren't many other signs with super obvious phrases. Lots o' vowels there. There are a few revelatory things you can find and read, but not much you couldn't find by simply looking at things attentively. I didn't want to make it unfair to non-english speakers and load the game with a bunch of important info in what is essentially pseduo english.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

I think the only two characters I have left to make happy are the bootlegger and the cop. The cop seems to be very straightforward with his needs, but the bootlegger ... not quite sure what he is trying to tell me.

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."

EricFate posted:

I think the only two characters I have left to make happy are the bootlegger and the cop. The cop seems to be very straightforward with his needs, but the bootlegger ... not quite sure what he is trying to tell me.

Here's the answer, knowing where to get the needed item isn't obvious.

The bootlegger will barter for jewelry. You can find jewelry by fishing in the river near the circus, by clicking the crate nearby. The fishing rod near the bootlegger is needed.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Connoisseur posted:

Here's the answer, knowing where to get the needed item isn't obvious.

The bootlegger will barter for jewelry. You can find jewelry by fishing in the river near the circus, by clicking the crate nearby. The fishing rod near the bootlegger is needed.

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought to try that multiple times, or in multiple places. Thanks! In hindsight, I was too focused on the thought bubble which showed the children and indicated hunger, and not enough on the speech bubble or what was in the box to his right. That would have confirmed what specifically I was looking for, even if it didn't specify where. The icons on the map were also a good clue that I missed.

EricFate fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 13, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I made some psuedo-fanart in my painting class tonight. I hope you like it!

I just want to say I'm really happy to have played this game, and I hope there will be more games about doing happy things in the future.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Finished it. Looking forward to the patch so I can go back through and do an achievement run.

Things which stumped me early on:

I understood the speech bubble for cash easily enough, but not the one for change. I kept thinking that the novelty vendor and the bum were both asking me for pills not coins, and didn't correct myself until I began the time honored adventure game tradition of 'I don't know what to do next, so I'll just use every object I am currently carrying on this problem until something new happens'.

I became convinced that the wheel on the bootleg cart was the wheel I needed for the motorized scooter. I should have paid more attention to who the owner of the scooter was angry at, since I no longer had any reason to pass through that area on foot.

Second fishing puzzle. I'd been trying to figure out what that crate was for since the beginning of the game. I thought I had my answer when I finished the chicken rescue attempt, since the two objects looked so much alike that I never considered an alternate use.

Also, the animated response after appeasing the Junk King ... that was amazing.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

This game really recaptured what I loved about the Lucasarts adventures, a stylized, lovingly crafted world, but the open world nature and heartwarming puzzle design created an entirely new experience.

I love how every puzzle told a story and every screen shares some significance - literally nothing is literally spelled out - not even the menus which I thought was a nice touch. Each puzzle was satisfying, because collecting hugs is such a great reward mechanism. You'll never feel let down by an easy solution because Dropsy loves you.

The artwork was my favorite element of the game. I loved the perspective of Dropsy's bathroom in particular. I'm going to stop there. This game is great.

ENDING DISCUSSION
I was shocked by the ending but I'm being cautious talking about it - I left a lot of unfinished business and I'm getting a multiple ending vibe. I don't recall reading that but have to ask - are there multiple endings?

Colorspray fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 13, 2015

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Colorspray posted:

ENDING DISCUSSION
I was shocked by the ending but I'm being cautious talking about it - I left a lot of unfinished business and I'm getting a multiple ending vibe. I don't recall reading that but have to ask - are there multiple endings?

Jay said before that the ending is always the same, but the amount of people who are present and helping Dropsy escape change on who you helped throughout the game.

That's probably the best little thing in the game for me :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I would like to say that during the junkyard section I felt like I was going to start projectile vomiting fish at the giant rat or something. Barely noticed that and the hidden book nearby.

• Locked thread