Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

*rapes and gets away with it*

*does violently sexual hazing on new athletes*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

*graduates with a 2.3 GPA and a communications degree*

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

lol only itt losers

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wafflz posted:

There are far more student athletes that take their education seriously than there are ones with a full course load of basket weaving and _______ studies. They just play sports that aren't on ESPN.

Great they don't need a huge salary. Kick em like $100 a week.

The players on national TV with millions watching during March Madness though maybe deserve a bit of cash.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

im the acc player of the year why am i going to bed hungry and poor?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

The players on national TV with millions watching during March Madness though maybe deserve a bit of cash.

They get paid tens of thousands of dollars in free education, just like the guy on a full ride swimming scholarship. It's their own fault if they take a load of bullshit courses and graduate with a worthless degree.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
im cavalier about consent when it comes to copulation

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
takes steroids after practice

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Wafflz posted:

They get paid tens of thousands of dollars in free education, just like the guy on a full ride swimming scholarship. It's their own fault if they take a load of bullshit courses and graduate with a worthless degree.

its pretty justified to call them unintelligent and rapey, most of them ive met had these qualities to some degree

but you can't call them dumb and then also be shocked or mad or surprised when they didn't pick the hardest most productive major after agreeing to practice for a sport 3 hours a day, work out for another 2 on days where they can still stand, then another hour cooking up chicken and rice stirring up protein shakes before bed

it's almost as if very few human beings are capable of having a 4.0 and also being a huge meathead willing to die to be great at a sport or something???

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Seems I touched a nerve. Tell me more about how choosing to play a college sport entitles you to money. Also, when I said tutoring you know exactly what I meant, don't be dense. College is a business, nothing more, and doing a sport to pay your way is payment enough.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

PathAsc posted:

Seems I touched a nerve. Tell me more about how choosing to play a college sport entitles you to money. Also, when I said tutoring you know exactly what I meant, don't be dense. College is a business, nothing more, and doing a sport to pay your way is payment enough.

You don't sound like a college athlete.

Do you even lift?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

this is my exact take on it

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

PathAsc posted:

if you're replying to me i don't think i've ever read a posts of yours, in terms of why college athletes get cool perks- it is probably because they risk their lives and train their bodies constantly to entertain and nationally represent their college, doing a huge amount of the marketing for the fat cats of the business without a dean or president having to break their own legs or kidneys themselves to get on national television with your campus and mascot being represented

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god, I just realized this is the high point of my life!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wafflz posted:

Lol don't be retarded they take the classes their advisors tell them to take and most schools have specific watered down programs for athletes

Tens of thousands of dollars in free education lmao according to who? The school that sets the price? If a college gave you a bullshit degree after making millions off you and said "dont worry tho these degrees are like $250k normally n poo poo"

Like what kind of marginal cost is associated with each extra student do you think? Nowhere near what tuition costs. It's a completely bullshit one sided exploitative relationship in many cases esp in d1 schools.

Like a D1 athlete has time for a STEM degree anyway it's like you ppl never went to college or something

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
*is amateur student athlete*
*makes millions of dollars for old white men every single year*

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PathAsc posted:

When your employer sells your labor and makes millions and gives you peanuts in return it is exploitative.

The degree they get is often worthless

Idk how that's so hard.

If it's all a business how come they don't even get workers comp or something for an injury? Play for our school but if you get a career ending injury we'll drop your scholarship and you'll be stuck with medical and physical therapy bills bc lolo gently caress you you're just a student athlete. Real cool system.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
*plays college football*
*doesnt go to the NFL*

***in another life***

*plays college basketball*
*doesnt go to the NBA*

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

When your employer sells your labor and makes millions and gives you peanuts in return it is exploitative.

Idk how that's so hard.

i agree with you on the 100/week stipend but the universities arent employers of the players. for one the players wouldnt be there if they didnt think they werent investing in their futures some way and also they arent professionals. you dont go to college to get paid. THAT SAID, sports take up a lot of time so a small stipend can make up for any lost opportunity for part time work

GastonEatTheEggs
Nov 7, 2012

*totally hasn't peaked yet and will be a starter after intense summer training*

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
*is a basketball star at BYU, just cant hack it in the sinful world of the NBA*

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyv4du7BTOc

stop having rear end in a top hat opinions

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

a real jerk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyv4du7BTOc

stop having rear end in a top hat opinions

you know something? you're a real jerk!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i'm not going to post the video but when that louisville player's leg goes all wavy gravy. jesus loving christ.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Moridin920 posted:

Idk how that's so hard.

If it's all a business how come they don't even get workers comp or something for an injury? Play for our school but if you get a career ending injury we'll drop your scholarship and you'll be stuck with medical and physical therapy bills bc lolo gently caress you you're just a student athlete. Real cool system.

moridin your posts seem to be consistently intelligent whats your secret bud

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

*shoots another hoop*

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I ain't here to play COLLEGE

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Raider posted:

i agree with you on the 100/week stipend but the universities arent employers of the players. for one the players wouldnt be there if they didnt think they werent investing in their futures some way and also they arent professionals. you dont go to college to get paid. THAT SAID, sports take up a lot of time so a small stipend can make up for any lost opportunity for part time work

yeah it's also coincidence that recruits get a bunch of kids in poverty. they don't have to go to college and play sports lol, they could always stay in the projects and work at McDonald's

anyway yeah I'm not saying they should be making what professional athletes get paid but drat give em something. let's not pretend there aren't millions of dollars being made in the NCAA. almost a billion dollars a year in revenue. Yeah I know it's a non-profit but all that means is they're supposed to have their expenses be equal to their incomes.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 11, 2015

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

let's not pretend there aren't millions of dollars being made in the NCAA.

try billions

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

My whole point is it's a choice. I could've had a sports scholarship, instead I got a job and found ways to pay for college without destroying my body for "entertainment". Either way we're not going to agree, so I'll get back on topic for the thread.

I'm going to piss and poo poo all over the toilet in the locker room and haze new guys by putting a broom up their asses.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

PathAsc posted:

My whole point is it's a choice. I could've had a sports scholarship, instead I got a job and found ways to pay for college without destroying my body for "entertainment". Either way we're not going to agree, so I'll get back on topic for the thread.

I'm going to piss and poo poo all over the toilet in the locker room and haze new guys by putting a broom up their asses.

Awww, were the upperclassmen mean to you :kiddo:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Nooner posted:

Awww, were the upperclassmen mean to you :kiddo:

Yeah, but I liked it. Don't kinkshame.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

PathAsc posted:

cocksucking is not a sport

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

the lack of STEM majors on D1 sports scholarships is explained solely by every person with a D1 ride being dumb, furthermore my research indicates

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PathAsc posted:

cool bro good thing every single person in this country has the same opportunities as you did

recruiters definitely don't go to poverty stricken neighborhoods and dangle escape from the ghetto as incentive to get away from the bullshit to kids who don't have the grades or money to go to college otherwise.

'it's a choice' is some bullshit rhetoric you say about people getting exploited, just like people say for sweat shop workers. 'well they don't have to be there!' You're right, they don't have to, they could be dealing drugs or working 2 minimum wage jobs like everyone else grinding to get by.

a person does the work and makes millions of dollars but sees absolutely no money from it, that's exploitation and it's bullshit. if you think I'm wrong then fine we can agree to disagree but stop with the classic conservative rhetoric from 15 years ago.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 11, 2015

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
iom gonna make it big doing this

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

cool bro good thing every single person in this country has the same opportunities as you did

recruiters definitely don't go to poverty stricken neighborhoods and dangle escape from the ghetto as incentive to get away from the bullshit to kids who don't have the grades or money to go to college otherwise.

'it's a choice' is some bullshit rhetoric you say about people getting exploited, just like people say for sweat shop workers. 'well they don't have to be there!' You're right, they don't have to, they could be dealing drugs or working 2 minimum wage jobs like everyone else grinding to get by.

a person does the work and makes millions of dollars but sees absolutely no money from it, that's exploitation and it's bullshit. if you think I'm wrong then fine we can agree to disagree but stop with the classic conservative rhetoric from 15 years ago.

Hey we agree on something youre not so bad after all mordy !!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Moridin920 posted:

I don't disagree that recruiters do that poo poo, all headhunter types do in all parts of business. I don't see how my views are conservative rhetoric when they're my own personal beliefs that I've unfortunately had to come to terms with. I've been in the shithole, still had enough common sense not to get sniped for some bullshit.

Sweatshops are primarily staffed by abductees and kept from going anywhere, so their choice is keep working or suicide.

We should kill the rich and eat them, yes. Just don't act like willful ignorance is something that doesn't take place for this poo poo. There are people who legitimately don't know, but how many go into college thinking they're going to get paid? Do we need to talk about unpaid internships too?

Like I said, I agree that all the money made from sports is bullshit, but I also don't think that college athletes should get paid. From my perspective pro level players bitch and moan about the most menial poo poo, so gently caress them too. Maybe we should start paying all students in a Master's program too since they don't have time to work either, or even new students taking 15+ credit hours.

Goddammit, you got me to efforpost. Congrats. I'm not trying to get into a poo poo-slinging contest with you, just express my views. Namaste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I bet I can throw this football over those mountains.

• Locked thread