Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Mostly fat and tumblr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey2
Mar 10, 2015

by Ralp

Bacontotem posted:

Mostly fat and tumblr

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

It's a hard question to answer when you have a normal and healthy outlook on interpersonal relationships and your brain isn't all hosed up.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
can't wait for the future when ppl say that about monogamists

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

nomadologique posted:

can't wait for the future when ppl say that about monogamists

any decade now, right

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i've read a lot of sci fi and this is definitely in our future, trust me

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

nomadologique posted:

this is a bit of a silly wash, ya people cheat and there are lots of myths and lies but actually there are people out there who want to be in a relationship with one other person and feel comfortable and happy that way, trust their partner and don't worry about them cheating, because they both want that and want each other

that you had more stress in "closed" relationships than an open one indicates that you are better off in an open one; the same is true in reverse; and there are probably quite a lot of people out there who are confused about just what it is they want and/or need (most likely most people)

Yeah, you're right. I've talked to lots of smart people in monogamous relationships who express the exact same feelings about their relationship that I do about mine, minus the "monogamy is poisonous bullshit". The difference is that they don't play all these power politics with each other and they're respectful and trusting. So obviously it's not a categorical thing.

Monogamy always sounds like enforcing rules to me in order to mitigate feelings of distrust, but that idea is a bit alien to them because they don't have that feeling of distrust, they've just integrated monogamy into their definition of commitment and they value that form of commitment.

The whole commitment thing always makes me chuckle because I don't know many serial monogamists who are as committed to each other as we are in our marriage. They maintain separate bank accounts and things because there's always a dealbreaker in their relationship and they need to constantly make bets about whether it's going to take place.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

but honestly if you told someone in 1990 that in 25 years nobody would give a poo poo about gay people anymore except the old and insane, they'd have laughed in your face

according to my sources we're in the middle of a massive culture war atm, it's all topsy turvy and the internet makes viewpoints evolve very quickly

sexual jealousy probably has some biological bases but likely isn't the kind of thing you can't socially program people to express and experience in any number of creative ways

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

tuyop posted:

It's cool if you're cool. You gotta have a pretty untraditional philosophy of love to make it work. My wife and I are in an open marriage and we're honestly too busy to go swimming in pools of genitals, but it's not a problem when we gently caress other people because who cares? If one of us fell in love with another person, we wouldn't have a problem having them move in and just living that way, or ending the relationship if it came to that because we've had a great life together. If they had a kid with her, I think I would raise it like it was mine if that's what she wanted because I never understood the need to share genetics with children to love them.

Overall, I think there's way more drama and stress in monogamous relationships I've been in than the open relationships. In the latter, you just don't care about the bullshit you're supposed to care about in the former, and in both you basically do what you want anyway. All relationships are open, some are just more full of myths and lies than others.

What's ur fav. episode of Dr. Who?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

BigBoss posted:

What's ur fav. episode of Dr. Who?

That show is loving garbage.

That episode of The X Files where they find that beetle in the hunk of meat mailed from the jungle by that dude, and it gives these escaped convicts these horrible disease pimples... yeah, I think that's my favourite.

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

tuyop posted:

Yeah, you're right. I've talked to lots of smart people in monogamous relationships who express the exact same feelings about their relationship that I do about mine, minus the "monogamy is poisonous bullshit". The difference is that they don't play all these power politics with each other and they're respectful and trusting. So obviously it's not a categorical thing.

Monogamy always sounds like enforcing rules to me in order to mitigate feelings of distrust, but that idea is a bit alien to them because they don't have that feeling of distrust, they've just integrated monogamy into their definition of commitment and they value that form of commitment.

The whole commitment thing always makes me chuckle because I don't know many serial monogamists who are as committed to each other as we are in our marriage. They maintain separate bank accounts and things because there's always a dealbreaker in their relationship and they need to constantly make bets about whether it's going to take place.

So have either of you screwed other people? It's not really an "open marriage" until that happens. If so, and you guys are as strong as you say, then great. I couldn't do it, but I won't judge.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

WobblySausage posted:

So have either of you screwed other people? It's not really an "open marriage" until that happens. If so, and you guys are as strong as you say, then great.

Uh, yes. It's not a rare thing, just not "rooms of dicks and vadges".

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014

nomadologique posted:

but honestly if you told someone in 1990 that in 25 years nobody would give a poo poo about gay people anymore except the old and insane, they'd have laughed in your face

according to my sources we're in the middle of a massive culture war atm, it's all topsy turvy and the internet makes viewpoints evolve very quickly

sexual jealousy probably has some biological bases but likely isn't the kind of thing you can't socially program people to express and experience in any number of creative ways

Even just in the 2000s. I remember there was a gay character in a movie in like 2002 (something about baseball), and it was this huge controversy.

Also in Crocodile Dundee (1986) there was a lot of gay jokes and crossdress jokes. They even called a gay tranny "fag". That would never fly now.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'[m] essentially in a V with my gf and her other bf. That is, romantically and emotionally. I've been dating her about 3 months, and I get along great with him just fine.

But she wants to be generally more non-mono and is open to casual sex with people outside of what we have. I am too, but non-mono in general is pretty new to me. And for the most part I'm 100% onboard; I'm supporting and compersive in her endeavors. We have very clear, open, honest communication about everything. Which helps me to not be jealous. And hearing about past and potential casual sex is all fine with me. But when it comes to it being in my face... as in physically in my presence, I feel "left out"

I don't get this feeling at all with her other partner (we're both essentially Primaries) I don't think I feel jealousy specifically... maybe envy? Like someone was kind of touching and kissing on her the other day while I was there, and I felt like I wasn't receiving any attention and that I was "left out". I feel like maybe if I was with someone at the same time I'd be ok; so I don't think it's specifically that she isn't giving me the attention.

I feel this will continue to happen, and I'll continue to have these feels, because it's simply easier in my opinion for girls to attract men.

Any thoughts on how to mitigate feelings like this? General practices, thoughts, or ideas?

Thanks!

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Do you think she would be ok with it if you have another gf

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

a bay posted:

Do you think she would be ok with it if you have another gf

She's been fine with it when it happened, so yes?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a bay posted:

I know people that are dating and some of them are in an open relationship and Im curious about how that works and what its like but I dont want to ask them because they will think I dont know anything about dating. If you who have been in one of these or know somebody who has then I would be interested to read about the experiences

Typical open relationship:

Man: "This is awesome I can sleep with other women and my girl won't get mad! So perfect!" : Stays at home barring on the internet, doesn't get laid by anyone
Woman: "Anything for you dear" : Goes out gets banged by a different guy every week

Rutibex posted:

I'[m] essentially in a V with my gf and her other bf. That is, romantically and emotionally. I've been dating her about 3 months, and I get along great with him just fine.

Saying "things are great, it's been 3 months" is the relationship equivalent of the Coyote looking down and realizing he's about to fall off a cliff

Rutibex posted:

But she wants to be generally more non-mono and is open to casual sex with people outside of what we have. I am too, but non-mono in general is pretty new to me. And for the most part I'm 100% onboard; I'm supporting and compersive in her endeavors. We have very clear, open, honest communication about everything. Which helps me to not be jealous. And hearing about past and potential casual sex is all fine with me. But when it comes to it being in my face... as in physically in my presence, I feel "left out"

Sad part is this isn't even a GBS meme, she is literally wanting to cuck you since you sound willing to put up with anything

Rutibex posted:

I don't get this feeling at all with her other partner (we're both essentially Primaries) I don't think I feel jealousy specifically... maybe envy? Like someone was kind of touching and kissing on her the other day while I was there, and I felt like I wasn't receiving any attention and that I was "left out". I feel like maybe if I was with someone at the same time I'd be ok; so I don't think it's specifically that she isn't giving me the attention.

Let me guess first girlfriend in a while?

Typical open relationship, the girl is getting macked on and has all the guys she wants, guy gets to stand around and look sad and if he's very lucky his girl will hook him up with one of her fat friends

Rutibex posted:

I feel this will continue to happen, and I'll continue to have these feels, because it's simply easier in my opinion for girls to attract men.

Any thoughts on how to mitigate feelings like this? General practices, thoughts, or ideas?

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 11, 2015

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
your gf just wants to cuck you while still having you around

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I've known a few couples in open relationships. They were usually mocked incessantly whenever they were not around. Makes good gossip though so keep one in your social circle if you can.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

Thanks!

Discuss your feelings w/ her. It's one thing to have an open relationship, it's another to be ignoring you and getting all touchy feely with someone else in front of you. That's just cucking im pretty sure. If you're not comfortable with something, say something. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. Better that than spending the rest of your life feeling second rate or something.

It's not weird at all to not care if she fucks people but to not want it thrown in your face (certainly not if she's ignoring you while doing that).

Afaik most successful open relationships just have the people go gently caress sometimes if the occasion arises (like if you're at a party and someone wants to smash and your SO is out of town or sick or something), they aren't necessarily looking for other people to sleep with or all that poo poo. And while being open is important (no one likes being lied to and snuck around on), all the specific details probably don't need to be mentioned.

And also you'd be surprised at the amount of girls who aren't into loving random people (my gf is one - she doesn't like banging if she doesn't know the person well and have a connection) versus guys who don't care about that, as long as we're talking about who gets laid more in an open relationship.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 11, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

And also you'd be surprised at the amount of girls who aren't into loving random people (my gf is one - she doesn't like banging if she doesn't know the person well and have a connection) versus guys who don't care about that, as long as we're talking about who gets laid more in an open relationship.

That's actually worse, that's like she's not just banging the guys, she's banging the same guys over and over again and has a connection with them.

Seriously the only time anyone should consider getting involved with an open relationship girl is if you've lucked into being one of the one-offs. Otherwise, run away. Run as far as you can.

PS: Mindfuck for you, at least one of those guys guaranteed thinks of her as his girlfriend too. You're welcome.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
good honey pot thread op

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I think it's stupid but most people in open relationships seem to think it's only a matter of time before society catches up with their higher thinking.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's just like a regular relationship but ur girl smells like cock and farts all the time just like you.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

just make sure you are on the end making out better from the deal dont get cucked or whatever

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
A lifetime of beta bitch stds, OP.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It works better if the guys Bi and also fucks the other guys.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
just have a threeway

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Cyber Dog posted:

in my limited experience its p difficult to do without hurting ppls feeling and compromising trust

How does it compromise trust? They're already agreeing to sleep with other people, isn't that just completely throwing trust out the window?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

boom boom boom posted:

How does it compromise trust? They're already agreeing to sleep with other people, isn't that just completely throwing trust out the window?

Trust is just having control over another person's genitals I guess?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

tuyop posted:

ahahahaha

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Most people in long term monogamous relationships would kill for a bit on the side but holy poo poo polygamy sounds like an anxious mess

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Very generally it works out to the lady getting some side cock that she could take or leave and the guy sitting around telling himself how progressive and mature he is for being ok with it.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

mind the walrus posted:

Very generally it works out to the lady getting some side cock that she could take or leave and the guy sitting around telling himself how progressive and mature he is for being ok with it.

tuyop posted:

Lol

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
For the guys that dont like open relationships, would you rather be in an open relationship or not in a relationship

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

That's actually worse, that's like she's not just banging the guys, she's banging the same guys over and over again and has a connection with them.

Seriously the only time anyone should consider getting involved with an open relationship girl is if you've lucked into being one of the one-offs. Otherwise, run away. Run as far as you can.

PS: Mindfuck for you, at least one of those guys guaranteed thinks of her as his girlfriend too. You're welcome.

yeah seeing another dude over and over is usually a recipe for disaster

i meant more just like random one night stands now and again

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean maybe just buy a chastity belt and go full sissy cuck at that point ya know

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

a bay posted:

For the guys that dont like open relationships, would you rather be in an open relationship or not in a relationship

Would you rather be shamed and humiliated, letting the entire world know you're a bitchboi or not having that happen? Hmmm.... let me think.

WobblySausage
Nov 7, 2014
I'm trying to see a perspective where I'd be OK with it with my wife, but I just can't. For me it's not "control over genitals", it's I'm the one who fucks her and vice versa. Something special between us.

Plus sometimes we end up sharing toothbrushes sometimes and I wouldn't want other weiner on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Stingly
Sep 1, 2001

Satanic cop-killing henchman with a heart of gold
Any arguments in favor of open relationships and the kind of anecdotal evidence supporting them usually boil down to a description of 3 or more people who don't really give a gently caress about each other and lack the kind of intense emotional connection people think of as Love or whatever. This is then said to be much more ideal than traditional monogamy because it lets the participants orgasm much more frequently, which of course is the entire purpose of a romantic relationship, satisfying one's cravings. Like a microwave cooking hot pockets for your all night game sesh, except for your genitals.

• Locked thread