Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Every time I fight the Gaia Guardian, it just throws me in the air and then I can't do anything until the other people fighting die.

What's with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Do you have Ascent Boost on your pants? If you've got Boots of the Traveller or a Sojourner's Sash and any Ascent Boost, you wind up leaping up out of the arena, and Botania holds people at an extended distance to prevent outside interference. Vazkii has gone really far out of her way to keep people from cheesing Gaia Guardian and some of the anti-cheese things are inconvenient.

If you want to cheese him, go to The Last Millenium, fly out about 20 blocks from the platform you warp in on, place an Angel Block, then build an arena (with rails so you don't fall!) that's the size of your altar. It heavily confines the Gaia Guardian and makes the fight much less tedious, though probably a lot harder if you're undergeared or borderline on gear.

E: vvvv I've had jumping w/ Ascent Boost whisk me up and out of the arena when I was fighting him solo, so I figured it was a height thing :shrug:

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 11, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Carados posted:

Every time I fight the Gaia Guardian, it just throws me in the air and then I can't do anything until the other people fighting die.

What's with that?

the gaia guardian fight is for one person, and it goes to great lengths to assure that only one person fights

i'm sure there are ways to get around it but the spirit of the mechanic is for it to be a solo endeavor

also i have ascent boost on my pants and I spend the entire gaia fight with my spacebar held down with no problems

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Magres posted:

I wrote a crash course for Blightfall Botania done easy, it's on the first page.

Short version is go for the flowers you need for a Jaded Amaranthus, loot the Dayblooms that are in the little lab behind the waterfall, use them to power the Amaranthus to get all 16 kinds of flowers, and AWAY WE GO!

Long version:

Once you've got Dayblooms and an Amaranthus you're good to go, though a Lexica helps enormously.

E: Updated the crash course w/ the better Lexica spot, thanks guys!

Well that took a while, but now I have a healthy collection of magic flowers just like I always dreamed.

Is there a way to scrub a tainted node back to health or do I just have to jar it and forget it?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ariong posted:

Well that took a while, but now I have a healthy collection of magic flowers just like I always dreamed.

Is there a way to scrub a tainted node back to health or do I just have to jar it and forget it?

The Dawn Machine can do it.

I just punch tainted nodes to dead; once you have a CV setup it's not like you need them.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

What a fool I have been. To believe for all the world that there was a problem which could not be solved by punching.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

it turns out, violence IS the answer :eng101:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If you want to keep nodes around, you can use Blood Magic translocators to move them to a secure area. Either mass produce stabilizers or make a quartet of dawn totems to cover a nice big 96x96 area (you want more than one because you don't want to put a blighted node within about a chunk's distance of the edge of the area the dawn totems clean) to put them in. Just don't put them within 5 blocks of each other or they'll eat each other unless they're in stabilizers. I'm doing stabilizer spam because goonfall base has basically infinite resources, but ymmv

Blood Magic translocators also let you move nodes without damaging them, making it much easier to get a bright node and feed it other nodes to make an ultra-CV node. Do a 7x7x7 box with the Bright in the middle and a food node in each corner (put the bright in an advanced stabilizer if you're worried about it getting eaten) and it'll devour them over time and get bigger.

Alternately clean one of the hungry nodes and auto-feed it hundreds of thousands of crafting tables and enjoy the fact that you have a node that'll spit out like 50 CV in every aspect. (To tame a hungry node, chuck liquid taint at it until it gets tainted, which overwrites the Hungry status, as discussed previously in thread)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why use the cyber dawn machine, when it's pay off is so little compared to making a stack of dawn totems (that you can move around easily.)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Cleans nodes :shrug:

If you really, really get infrastructure rolling strong then you can run like a dozen Dawn Machines without too much trouble and by that point it's easier to move a machine with a dawn offering than it is to move the ~9 Dawn Totems it takes to cover the same area as an Aer-powered Dawn Machine. We've got essentia production of all of the 10 kinds of essentia a dawn machine takes pretty much trivialized to the point that I can crank out a thousand or so in each time of essentia with a few minutes of work. From there it's just slapping our essentia cells into the setup that Taffer made and plugging it into the ME chest on the machine.

Random tip - you can set the biome overlay to solid in map options and it really, really helps with cleaning up the final few dots of blight in an area. Means you don't have to go scan for them on the Jaded then find them based on that, you can just directly find them pretty easily.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Kizurue posted:

So I have a server I am planning to run this on with a friend. Possibly looking for another 2-3 players who are equally as bad and horrible at this game as us. We plan on this being a whole new learning experience since we haven't touched most these mods in a few years. So if you are bad and wanting to play badly with a few others send me a PM.

If you're still doing this I'm interested. Don't have PMs but I'm The Shortest Path on steam.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I hosed with the node room, it's way more comfortable and a lot nicer looking

Now I just gotta figure out how to decorate! Any suggestions would be appreciated

Partly to brag (:v:), this is what they're all there to power

Magres fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 12, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What's the research path to those totems? I want to skim through all that stuff and start seeing what all the requirements are so I am manufacturing the right stuff.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Where's the best place to find order shards? I need a lot if I'm going to make a bunch of totems...

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

They're no more or less common than the others I don't think. I guess your best bet would be to go looking for a cave somewhere with dark stone.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Magres posted:

I hosed with the node room, it's way more comfortable and a lot nicer looking

Now I just gotta figure out how to decorate! Any suggestions would be appreciated

Partly to brag (:v:), this is what they're all there to power

Oh, so you're the one that logged off with all the wands. I was trying to purify spires earlier...

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
My bad.

To be fair, I logged because I was falling asleep at my keyboard

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What's the research path to those totems? I want to skim through all that stuff and start seeing what all the requirements are so I am manufacturing the right stuff.

It's in Alchemy, behind Ethereal Blooms and the research that unlocks

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

The Shortest Path posted:

If you're still doing this I'm interested. Don't have PMs but I'm The Shortest Path on steam.

Added you on steam

Also I want to try and start making some machines but I understand the only way to do that is by going into Botania for a source of RF. How do I start into this since the Lexica Botania can not be crafted?

Kizurue fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 12, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Kizurue posted:

Added you on steam

Also I want to try and start making some machines but I understand the only way to do that is by going into Botania for a source of RF. How do I start into this since the Lexica Botania can not be crafted?

Spoilers within

You can find an untranslated grimoire that uses the same icon as a Lexica Botania. If you submit enough language samples to the Xenobiologist, you can get a translation device that will let you translate the grimoire into the Lexica Botania.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Magres posted:

It's in Alchemy, behind Ethereal Blooms and the research that unlocks

Ahh good after a bunch of clicky clicks, I got there. What's the crazy scheme for duplicating quartz? I am about to go hogwild with AE2 cabling.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If you're distilling something with compound aspects, it's a complete crapshoot when each of the essentia comes up. if you have multiple, empty jars connected, you're asking for some trouble. Like, it might spit a little of one type of essentia into all three, then start complaining that it lacks containers when it switches to another type.

This is generally how I coddle it. When I'm about to distill new stuff:
1. Slap on the goggles of revealing.
2. Disconnect all empty jars.
3. Throw the new stuff to cook in the furnace.
4. Wait for an alembic to get stuck on some essentia. Supply a jar with some of that essentia, or give it an empty jar if you don't have any at all yet.
5. Start swapping jars with matching essentia as the alembics show which they need.

The most important thing is to not connect an empty jar unless you know it has nowhere else to put it by that one jar. It was so frustrating to have 5 jars filled with 2 praecantatio.

thats how i do it - with a single pipe out of each level of the construct above the first, I do know of people who have buffers and filters to just have one layer up and pull it all out of a network of essentia pipes into the correct jars, or in blightfall just connect the pipe to an essentia import bus on the ae2 then you can store it all - no problems

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.
Okay, I finally sorted out Essentia! It turns out it needs to draw essentia in order so if Sano is next it's not takin' nothing but Sano until it gets its Sano because :psyduck: . For the moment I've made enough blooms to clean my neighboring island before getting distracted setting up AE2 to autocraft all of its bits (circuits and crystals) because oh my goodness for a mod that claims to be all about making your life easy actually doing network upgrades on it is a goddamn nightmare. Then setting up all the Yellorium I found carving tunnels in random searches for rare ores at the bottom of the earth into a baby's first nuclear reactor- not as efficient or as anything as the simulator suggested but on the other hand, I got two resonant energy cells from random Machine bags and now they're both full just in the half-hour or so I spent fiddling to get circuits self-printing. So power isn't going to be a concern for, uh

a while.

Thanks for the help, guys! ...though I think I'll probably drop the tubes anyway once I can get AE2 Essentia set up. It sounds more flavorful for a mod that is all about bringing modern mindsets to bizarre magic... and, uh, less like kicking myself in the junk with a lead boot.

also,

Bremen posted:

Hey BR, good to see you around.

Same to you! Long time no see.

BlondRobin fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 12, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Ahh good after a bunch of clicky clicks, I got there. What's the crazy scheme for duplicating quartz? I am about to go hogwild with AE2 cabling.

It's under Thaumic Energistics. It takes, iirc, potentia, aqua, and vitreus, which you can get from charcoal (potentia), glass (virtreus), and sugar cane (aqua) or water - you'll need an Alchemical Boiler from Automagy for water though, but it means you can aqueous accumulator a tankful of water then plug it into your boiler and have infinity billion aqua.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I keep hearing of people keeping their arcane furnaces/boilers running at all times but what do you use to fuel them? Charcoal farm?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

I keep hearing of people keeping their arcane furnaces/boilers running at all times but what do you use to fuel them? Charcoal farm?

Well the crucible / construct can be kept running with a single block of lava under the crucible, then all you have to do is have items being fed into it using some form of pipe/hopper

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
You can also use Exoflames from Botania, and there's some Blood Magic item that does it.

But really, I always use Alumentum - it's easy to make (cobble+charcoal does it), makes your furnace work faster, and lasts an absolute eternity.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Goodness, walk away from the thread a few days and this is where you end up.

Magres posted:

THE WORLD GROWS CLEANER

Also please please please make Dawn Machines compatible with essentia export buses. They're not and it's sadtimes. The first Dawn Machine, Taffer just loving brute forced it with ten different essentia providers and talked about how much he hates infusion the entire time :v:

Uhhh... gosh, I'll figure this out. In the meantime, hook them up to warded jars and then hook the jars up to the export buses.

Carados posted:

I don't know if this is a blightfall specific issue or, what.

Basically, the connection to our server, for me, sometimes just dies.

Everything I SEND to the server gets to the server instantly, while everything I get is delayed by 3-5 minutes. Meaning the game is unplayable, and I can chat one way.

Is there a fix for this?

I've had the server jack up on me while I was playing, but restarting it worked for me. It kind of goes to crap after it's been up for a few days and I'm not sure what's causing it, but it's manageable if you restart it daily.

Now, all that aside, there was some confusion about how taint & cleansing works upthread, so I'm going to do a knowledge dump here:

There are 3 basic kinds of taint blocks: fibrous taint, tainted soil, and crusted taint.

They all basically do the same stuff: they do random block ticks, and each tick, they have a chance of changing the biome of a nearby block with two adjacent taint blocks to Tainted Lands. They also have a chance of plopping down a Fibrous Taint block if a nearby space in a Tainted Lands biome can support it.

Fibrous Taint will also change dirt to Tainted Soil and logs to Crusted Taint if the target block has taint blocks on at least 2 sides.

All three types will randomly disappear/turn back into dirt/melt into flux goo if it ticks while it's not in a Tainted Lands biome. That said, ~Tainted Soil and Crusted Taint have a very low chance to change back~. And that means that if there's a block that two tainted soils are adjacent to, there's an okay chance that it will be switched back to Tainted Lands and the infection will start back up. Flux Goo also has a chance of laying down taint unilaterally. This makes Tainted Soil and Crusted Taint very effective as sort of Taint Batteries- soaking up taint and requiring you to spend more resources to clear them.

All Ethereal Blooms, Dawn Totems, and unpowered Dawn Machines do is change the biome of nearby sections of land. Leave them there until the taint blocks decay on their own, and you're fine. Move them prematurely and it is possible for the remaining tainted blocks to reignite the infection.

So, what are your options? Well the biggest two are the purity focus- which given enough vis will wipe out all taint blocks from sky to bedrock in addition to changing the biome. You can also use the ignis function of the Dawn Machine to do the same thing, in a smaller area (per operation) than the biome-changing function. The Vacuos function on the Dawn Machine will also eliminate flux goo in the full 3x3 operation area.

Tainted nodes will change a nearby block's biome to Tainted Lands every 2 and a half seconds and attempt to place a fibrous taint about every 5 seconds. That said, underground nodes are very typically encased in rock, and as a result the infection can't easily spread. The most frequent cause of recurring infections are cave systems: either with some stubborn blocks of tainted soil that you haven't been patient enough to cleanse or that stretch to a tainted area of the map.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Sep 12, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

Uhhh... gosh, I'll figure this out. In the meantime, hook them up to warded jars and then hook the jars up to the export buses.

We wound up initially bruteforcing it with 10 separate essentia providers, then I figured out how to do it with 2 per Dawn Machine.

Though there are some bugs with AE2 with Offerings of Dawn, it duplicates a bunch of crap when you teleport the dawn machine

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Is it possible to get a rubber sapling through the Supplier, or am I just totally hosed for Minefactory stuff? All the swamp ones have long since been blighted to death.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Magres posted:

We wound up initially bruteforcing it with 10 separate essentia providers, then I figured out how to do it with 2 per Dawn Machine.

Though there are some bugs with AE2 with Offerings of Dawn, it duplicates a bunch of crap when you teleport the dawn machine

We got a report of that one and it's been fixed for the next version.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Is it possible to get a rubber sapling through the Supplier, or am I just totally hosed for Minefactory stuff? All the swamp ones have long since been blighted to death.

It is a rare drop from sapling bags. You can also turn bitumen into rubber.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Is there a good way to prevent taint from creeping into the biodome without removing it from the outside? I like the idea of the biodome as a bastion in the middle of taint, but I'm constantly having to shift silverleafs around to keep it from coming in.

Etheral Blooms clear out taint too well, and start removing taint outside of the borders of the biodome.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Carsius posted:

Is there a good way to prevent taint from creeping into the biodome without removing it from the outside? I like the idea of the biodome as a bastion in the middle of taint, but I'm constantly having to shift silverleafs around to keep it from coming in.

Etheral Blooms clear out taint too well, and start removing taint outside of the borders of the biodome.

If you find a spot where taint is starting to creep in, fill in that block with a glass block. Taint spreads via fibrous taint blocks, and that stuff can't grow on transparent blocks like glass.

Also, why do you want to keep the taint butted up against your dome? The goal is to get rid of the taint.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Another Botania question for the thread!

Do mana spreaders only fire if the target has enough space for the shot? Or just if there's any space at all? And if the latter, how can I buffer the system so I'm only shooting as much as I need at things like a Mana Fluxfield or the elven gate pools?

I've got a 17x17 tree farm feeding 30 endoflames, and I was busting my rear end last night trying to get the system mana positive. For the longest time I've been assuming a spreader will only fire if it won't waste mana, but I'm now strongly suspecting they will. There's no way that many endoflames aren't putting out enough mana to power a 400 rf/t hardened energy cell, is there?

Here's my current setup, for reference:

e: Ugh. I just took the potency lens off of the spreader shooting into the fluxfield, and the energy cell is still at max while I'm now accumulating mana. My question still stands though: Is there a better way to buffer this other than just playing with the distance of the spreader until it rides the edge?

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 12, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Glory of Arioch posted:

If you find a spot where taint is starting to creep in, fill in that block with a glass block. Taint spreads via fibrous taint blocks, and that stuff can't grow on transparent blocks like glass.

Also, why do you want to keep the taint butted up against your dome? The goal is to get rid of the taint.

Probably to stop an endless stream of tainted animals from piling up outside.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

30.5 Days posted:

Probably to stop an endless stream of tainted animals from piling up outside.

Partially this, but mostly because I think it looks good, and makes the base more interesting.

I've started clearing out the taint, but I figured I'd get rid of the stuff around my base last.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ImpactVector posted:

Another Botania question for the thread!

Do mana spreaders only fire if the target has enough space for the shot? Or just if there's any space at all? And if the latter, how can I buffer the system so I'm only shooting as much as I need at things like a Mana Fluxfield or the elven gate pools?

I've got a 17x17 tree farm feeding 30 endoflames, and I was busting my rear end last night trying to get the system mana positive. For the longest time I've been assuming a spreader will only fire if it won't waste mana, but I'm now strongly suspecting they will. There's no way that many endoflames aren't putting out enough mana to power a 400 rf/t hardened energy cell, is there?

Here's my current setup, for reference:

e: Ugh. I just took the potency lens off of the spreader shooting into the fluxfield, and the energy cell is still at max while I'm now accumulating mana. My question still stands though: Is there a better way to buffer this other than just playing with the distance of the spreader until it rides the edge?

They fire if ANY space is available at all. This can lead to hilarious amounts of mana waste when your buffers are all full.

To counteract this, you can use a comparator to read the status of a mana pool (or energy cell.) If you run a strength 13 or 14 redstone signal into the side of a comparator, it will make the comparator only output when the signal the comparator is reading is 13/14 or higher. Run the output lead of the comparator into the mana spreaders to turn them off.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Glory of Arioch posted:

They fire if ANY space is available at all. This can lead to hilarious amounts of mana waste when your buffers are all full.

To counteract this, you can use a comparator to read the status of a mana pool (or energy cell.) If you run a strength 13 or 14 redstone signal into the side of a comparator, it will make the comparator only output when the signal the comparator is reading is 13/14 or higher. Run the output lead of the comparator into the mana spreaders to turn them off.
Good grief, I had no idea you could use comparators that way. I think I've got this mostly figured out now. Next I just need to figure out how I'm going to make it reasonably compact.

Thanks a ton.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

ImpactVector posted:

Good grief, I had no idea you could use comparators that way. I think I've got this mostly figured out now. Next I just need to figure out how I'm going to make it reasonably compact.

Thanks a ton.

No problem.

There's a couple of ways to hide the circuitry -- red string comparators from Botania and the remote comparator from Automagy both let you use a comparator at a distance from the target block. This might not make it more compact, but at least you can bury the circuitry underground.

The automagy comparator, however, lacks the compare functionality of the vanilla comparator (and it also outputs on all sides.) You'll need to use a vanilla comparator in concert with it to actually filter the signal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Use bitumen to make enough rubber to make a MFR auto fishing machine. That machine can catch bags full of plastic sheets, loose plastic sheets, and rubber saplings. Probably other stuff too, like uh, food. Highly suggesting making one ASAP.

• Locked thread