Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Does anyone know if Side Ops can be missed? I want to get on with the story missions, but I'm afraid of missing something that'll be important for upgrades and stuff later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I just aced Lingua Fraca with perfect stealth, S rank, first try. I busted the interpreter's poo poo, extracted him, and just happened to walk into the main prisoner right after Kaz and Ocelot yelled at me for owning the interpreter. :frogc00l:

Whenever I S Rank, I feel like I'm cheesing things.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm halfway convinced that Ralph didn't exist because wow that's immensely ham-handed even for MGS.

Eli set him up to give an excuse for the children to get rowdy.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Section Z posted:

So whenever I get that far into the story for it, What's the most convenient small scale FoB if you don't want to bother with the invasions/defenses but also don't want to bitch out and try to force cancel out of your first platform (3rd deployment would be nice to have anyway).

Just leave it as the single platform and throw some token defenses on it? Add in more combat platforms/command platforms (whichever allows more deployments) so I can spam the hell out of my soldiers across the land? That's the most tempting one from a casual plebian standpoint despite the "Please Insert Fuel/materials to use your cool equipment" woes.

As far as I can tell (Could be wrong) even if you have just a single platform you can get poo poo looted from your main base, but stuff like development platforms would mean more cargo crates for them to fulton like a jerk or something?
If you just leave it as a single command platform with nothing else there's no resources at all for them to steal (as a bonus fob will still generate and refine a small amount of resources for you too). The only thing they can take is whatever fixed emplacements that automatically get put on there and a couple of dudes. Max out your security and ignore it and if you lose an invasion it doesn't matter because they only took a couple of lovely dudes or you win and get a bunch of free resources.

I don't know if you build more struts without added crates of resources though, someone else has to answer that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What is the preorder code for? I just remembered to put it in and it looks like...nothing?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Levantine posted:

Ok, so as long as they have a locked slot, that's what I double click on? I thought it had to be the same slot. I'll give that a try.

Yeah, just checked it out, you can use the stock on the brennan to put a regular sniper barrel on.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Am i right when i say that you can't empty out your primary weapon slots (rifle & pistol) on the loadout screen, or is there a unintuitive way to do it? I wanted to freeroam with nothing at all and use stuff i can scavenge only.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dr. Stab posted:

Yeah, just checked it out, you can use the stock on the brennan to put a regular sniper barrel on.

Ok, thanks. I tried it and it seems to pick the barrel from the top of the list so it keeps sticking Renov instead of the M2000 I want, but it's still an upgrade.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dongattack posted:

Am i right when i say that you can't empty out your primary weapon slots (rifle & pistol) on the loadout screen, or is there a unintuitive way to do it? I wanted to freeroam with nothing at all and use stuff i can scavenge only.

You can't. You gotta have some sort of primary and secondary weapon. The default ones are basically free though.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

That's part of why it's so good, the game is a really good lesson in how people are able to justify evil deeds to themselves when it suits their purposes. Like that exact line of thinking is what lead to stuff like Operation Cyclone during the period this game is set, and future poo poo like the CIA supporting Noriega, because "the other guys deserve it." It all ties in to the Boss' point about there being no timeless enemies. They even do this in-game with XOF going from a friendly support unit for FOX to going off the rails because of a single man's thirst for revenge. Big Boss has been a villain for a long time, and just because some of the people he kills are "bad" people doesn't absolve him. The game does a good job of pointing out that Diamond Dogs have been involved in a *lot* of morally questionable conflicts outside of the scope of the game.

Kaz talks about it pretty often in the tapes, and he sounds very bitter and cynical about it. Off the top of my head, there is one where he talks about how third-world warzones create endless cycles of conflict that keep profits flowing downstream, where Diamond Dogs is waiting to lap them up. They built a mercenary haven out of the ashes of impoverished conflict zones, and the way they try to rationalize it is "well we aren't fighting for an ideology, just a paycheck" and "well, somebody is going to end up doing it, might as well be us who make a living out of their suffering instead of another PMC." Big Boss completely perverted the Boss' will, like everyone else in the series, and while the games have made an effort to make him a more nuanced and tragic figure instead of a simple cartoon villain like he was in the beginning, he is absolutely still a monster.

This is from pretty far back but if you actually sit in a spot guards will talk some and it's usually something along the lines of not being able to wait to see their sister again or basically they're all super homesick so Kojima obviously wanted to make some kind of point about how what you're doing is dickish

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Levantine posted:

Ok, thanks. I tried it and it seems to pick the barrel from the top of the list so it keeps sticking Renov instead of the M2000 I want, but it's still an upgrade.

Yeah, that's just the way the glitch works.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

ChaosArgate posted:

Eli set him up to give an excuse for the children to get rowdy.

It's also a really blatant reference to Lord of the Flies, as are the conch, pig's head, and the pig on the back of Eli's jacket, which might be what he is talking about.

NESguerilla posted:

What is the preorder code for? I just remembered to put it in and it looks like...nothing?

You get a pair of extra camo options, an extra gun / ballistic shield skin, a couple box skins, an extra emblem piece, and an XP boost for MGO. You still have to go into the research tree and develop the pre-order items though.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's also a really blatant reference to Lord of the Flies, as are the conch, pig's head, and the pig on the back of Eli's jacket, which might be what he is talking about.

That kid was the only person named Ralph for literally hundreds of miles around, his parents thought that not naming him Simon would keep him safe - didn't count on Eli being crazy, though.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Swedish Horror posted:

Is there a way to complete mission 20 without knocking his rear end into the pool with a launcher? That's what I did and it seems to be the only way.

the warehouse thing you walk in to get to the building is filled with red water canister thingies that you can shoot. It was basically a heads up that fire dude is about to show up. :v:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

That kid was the only person named Ralph for literally hundreds of miles around, his parents thought that not naming him Simon would keep him safe - didn't count on Eli being crazy, though.

I like how the other kids all have African names and then there's just one poor bastard named Ralph.

edit: Mission 20 is cool because there are at least 6 different ways to beat the boss - probably more that people haven't even tried yet.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like how the other kids all have African names and then there's just one poor bastard named Ralph.

That's why I doubted that he existed - the gently caress kind of Kikongo name is Ralph?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Robo Reagan posted:

This is from pretty far back but if you actually sit in a spot guards will talk some and it's usually something along the lines of not being able to wait to see their sister again or basically they're all super homesick so Kojima obviously wanted to make some kind of point about how what you're doing is dickish

If strapping a balloon to a man that I knocked out to send him back to my secret ocean castle for indoctrination into my cult is wrong , I don't want to be right

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

That's why I doubted that he existed - the gently caress kind of Kikongo name is Ralph?

Maybe Eli took some kids with him to Africa? Or maybe one of the DD members gave the kids Western names?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

ChaosArgate posted:

Maybe Eli took some kids with him to Africa? Or maybe one of the DD members gave the kids Western names?

That would be p. hosed up after listening to the Code Talker tape where he talks about being renamed "George." Although it is funny to imagine BB listening to that depressing-rear end story and the only thing he takes from it is the idea to rename all the kids he is kidnapping.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Whose example are you going to follow in your quest to conquer the world: the americans or the navajo?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

it says that eli spent time in the uk, and with it being 1984 apartheid and all, it's not a huge stretch to imagine ralph may have come from british south africa

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Robo Reagan posted:

There are some really good ones. I have had times where I was about to take a headshot and held off to listen to them. One was a pretty good convo about about apartheid.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's something weirdly visceral about killing/knocking out a dude who is in mid-sentence or having a conversation with another guard. It gets to me in a way that just doing it when they're by themselves doesn't. I think part of it is the fact that whatever they were saying just immediately cuts off (because, y'know, they're dead or unconscious) while the other guy involved just goes :stonk: "WHAT THE HELL"

revolther
May 27, 2008
It's worn off a bit, but man did reflex mode head shots look face exploding-ly brutal for the first few days.

Could have sworn I was seeing jawbones flying off guards, just well done slowmo blood spurts.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
When can I find people on mother base? I've been everywhere looking for miller and ocelot

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:

Momomo posted:

Does anyone know if Side Ops can be missed? I want to get on with the story missions, but I'm afraid of missing something that'll be important for upgrades and stuff later.

You can't "miss" them; however, if you don't complete Side Ops in a specific area (like a specific village) than any future Side Ops there will not start until you finish whatever Side Op is there. A lot of people don't get the Legendary Gunsmith when its available because they still have some Side Ops they haven't done, so his Side Ops don't spawn.

No, you cannot miss them only delay them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ShineDog posted:

When can I find people on mother base? I've been everywhere looking for miller and ocelot

Dunno about them, but Code Talker is at the top of the command platform. You can see him as your helicopter flies away. I always try to hit him with the sleep grenade launcher but it's hard to tell whether I'm hitting him or not.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I did Episode 33 as it suggested to in the guide. Quickest mission ever when you direct the helicopter to the middle of the outpost and use the machine gun on the chopper to take out the three satellite dishes: 1:41.732 minutes :haw:

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I just snuck in there, grabbed an LPM and went ham on the dishes, then ran the gently caress out. I felt like Hawkeye from Last of the Mohicans.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 14, 2015

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Anyone have the DS4 button prompt mod?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My game constantly freezes when I chopper in to a mission. The graphics freeze and I have to CTRL-ALT-DEL out of it. It's been happening every couple of missions since I first got the game. Any idea? G3258 and a 980ti.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Ever since I beat the game my performance has dropped and I get stutter here and there. I'm baffled as to what is causing it. A few threads say that the more things you research the lag gets worse but I think that's bunk. Anyone else getting this?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Anyone have the DS4 button prompt mod?

http://www.nexusmods.com/metalgearsolidv/mods/12/

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

ImpAtom posted:

Yep.

You can hit him with a jeep, lure him under the water tower and blow it up, knock him off the cliff, wait until it starts to rain, shoot him a bunch with the water pistol and probably other methods.

You can also use the water fountains in the building.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
It's probably already been discovered but my husband finished the fight ridiculously cheaply with The Quiet where you order a supply drop for right on top of her then just duck up and down to keep her attention, the drop will instantly stun her completely.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What does the japanese on the bottom of Eli's jacket say? I assume something like HUGE DOUCHE but I wanna make sure.

CJacobs posted:

There's something weirdly visceral about killing/knocking out a dude who is in mid-sentence or having a conversation with another guard. It gets to me in a way that just doing it when they're by themselves doesn't. I think part of it is the fact that whatever they were saying just immediately cuts off (because, y'know, they're dead or unconscious) while the other guy involved just goes :stonk: "WHAT THE HELL"

Antimateriel is perfect for this, since if you're far enough and hit them in the gut, they won't die but will be mortally wounded and it is unsettling as hell seeing a guy slowly bleed out (and use him as bait to explode their concerned friends' heads.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 14, 2015

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Calaveron posted:

What does the japanese on the bottom of Eli's jacket say? I assume something like HUGE DOUCHE but I wanna make sure.
LIQUID MAN, apparently.

So yeah basically HUGE DOUCHE.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

blackguy32 posted:

gently caress the Yakoo Oboo outpost. I always seem to have trouble with that one.
So did I until I learned that running up from the river to the back is an easy way to get in, there are pits with tunnels that lead from the NW corner inside, and you can Fulton prisoners through the holes in the roof (you don't have to take them outside into the courtyard first).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Section Z posted:

So whenever I get that far into the story for it, What's the most convenient small scale FoB if you don't want to bother with the invasions/defenses but also don't want to bitch out and try to force cancel out of your first platform (3rd deployment would be nice to have anyway).

Just leave it as the single platform and throw some token defenses on it? Add in more combat platforms/command platforms (whichever allows more deployments) so I can spam the hell out of my soldiers across the land? That's the most tempting one from a casual plebian standpoint despite the "Please Insert Fuel/materials to use your cool equipment" woes.

As far as I can tell (Could be wrong) even if you have just a single platform you can get poo poo looted from your main base, but stuff like development platforms would mean more cargo crates for them to fulton like a jerk or something?

Making your FOB small is silly. Just never invade people and you won't lose much. The FOB itself will gain you far more than you lose, since you will have double the combat deployment, double or close to it on unit size, and extra resource income. Defending is super easy and you get an enormous reward for doing it. Attacking is only worth doing if it's like 6 AM and nobody is around to defend their FOBs, then you just invade the biggest base development platforms you can find and get tons of resources. They will probably counter-invade you, but the lockout timer plus the fact that you only lose a tiny fraction of what they gain makes it worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Mountain Relay Base is true hell to do anything in.

• Locked thread