Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

nm posted:

^^^^^
Yes, he clearly should have predicted that car would merge into that bus stop. Also, you may note he avoiding that accident without any help from the moron in the car.

What the gently caress are you talking about? In every single case there except the last one, he and no one else prevented the accident the car tried to cause.
In the last one, he is moving below the speed of traffic in a clearly marked bike lane, and as you can see if you watch the video went full on brakes almost immediately. If that had been a motorcycle doing the speed limit there'd have been a dead body on the ground and a bigger dent in the car.

Please get off the road before you kill someone. Seriously, if you think the cyclist had anything to do with that accident other than being present where he was supposed to be, you are clearly not up on safe driving. Go ride a bike for a week and get back to us.

Sad thing is that if he had been in the lane instead of a bike lane, he might have been noticed more often and certainly merged into less often, but they'd you bitch about how cyclists are roadhogs who sould ride of the sidewalk or some other such nonsense.

I have ridden my bike plenty, it terrifies me riding in heavy traffic like that and I think cyclists are nutjobs for doing it. I drive as defensively as possible and give cyclists a wide berth, but they still do absolutely bone-headed things all the time and it scares the poo poo out of me that I might hit them.

Boy I picked a bad video to bitch about, tho...

Edit:// a really bad video, it's not as bad after re-watching it 20 times. I think it was the first one that clouded me, I could tell from his head movement and how fast he was going that he was going to run the red light... which happens all the time around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I have ridden my bike plenty, it terrifies me riding in heavy traffic like that and I think cyclists are nutjobs for doing it. I drive as defensively as possible and give cyclists a wide berth, but they still do absolutely bone-headed things all the time and it scares the poo poo out of me that I might hit them.

Boy I picked a bad video to bitch about, tho...

When cyclists do stupid and dangerous poo poo I get way angrier than people who only drive, but a lot of people mistake fairly safe bicycle behavior for dangerous behavior.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

nm posted:

When cyclists do stupid and dangerous poo poo I get way angrier than people who only drive, but a lot of people mistake fairly safe bicycle behavior for dangerous behavior.

Do you count riding in heavy (suburban) traffic, period, to be fairly safe bicycle behavior? Genuine question, I'm curious.

Let's leave right and wrong out of this, because on a bicycle or any other vulnerable vehicle, even if it's not your fault, it's sure as poo poo your *problem* - My parents have drilled that into me as soon as they let me put on a helmet and ride on the road.

edit:// I'd like to help clarify my victim-blaming mentality here. Back in 2008 or 2009, I was rear-ended by some drunk teenager not paying attention, and deep inside, I considered it slightly my fault because I was hauling rear end like a jackass (mistake 1: I don't know if he was trying to keep up, -1 for lack of awareness) and then braked very hard for a turnoff (BMW 330ci with summer tires and Hawk HPS pads so it could stop dangerously quickly) and didn't look behind me to see if there was some chucklefuck in a truck bearing down on me, which I have since learned to do.
edit2:// it was very late at night, back roads

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 17, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Rosie has just discovered, for the first time, that although Santa Claus and the Easter bunny may not be real, the world harbors monsters and demons conjured up from the darkest corners of existence. Once spoken of in mere hushed whispers, ancient myth passed down from father to son as ages creep by, the Great Old One known only as Vcc'uum rises from his slumber. Bellowing out his triumphant roar, aeons of hibernation falling away as so many motes of dust on wind, he screams to life consuming all that lay on the ground before him. Monsters are real, oh yes, and their like shall walk again. Striding amongst us as ravenous beasts, the peaceful era of the Cat age yowls to its end.

Catatonic in shock, she lies sprawled upon surfaces laid bare before the Beast's wrath. Once, mere moments ago, entire civilizations lived, bred, and died here. The primordial chaos, seething with entropy, forced into order by the hand of a maker who's agenda remains not yet known. All we can do is pray. Hunker down, and pray that its terrible gaze falls not upon our own works and vices. Leaves us free to wallow in the squalor of existence and creation. Blissfully unaware of malign entities awaiting to claw their way into the world. Our world. The only world we know, purpose providing a false veneer of legitimacy across the darkest reaches of infinite madness.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Vcc'uum For'tnn wgah'nagl nnngof'nn

(In the house of fourteen the vacuum watches children)

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

14 INCH DICK posted:

Rosie has just discovered, for the first time, that although Santa Claus and the Easter bunny may not be real, the world harbors monsters and demons conjured up from the darkest corners of existence. Once spoken of in mere hushed whispers, ancient myth passed down from father to son as ages creep by, the Great Old One known only as Vcc'uum rises from his slumber. Bellowing out his triumphant roar, aeons of hibernation falling away as so many motes of dust on wind, he screams to life consuming all that lay on the ground before him. Monsters are real, oh yes, and their like shall walk again. Striding amongst us as ravenous beasts, the peaceful era of the Cat age yowls to its end.

Catatonic in shock, she lies sprawled upon surfaces laid bare before the Beast's wrath. Once, mere moments ago, entire civilizations lived, bred, and died here. The primordial chaos, seething with entropy, forced into order by the hand of a maker who's agenda remains not yet known. All we can do is pray. Hunker down, and pray that its terrible gaze falls not upon our own works and vices. Leaves us free to wallow in the squalor of existence and creation. Blissfully unaware of malign entities awaiting to claw their way into the world. Our world. The only world we know, purpose providing a false veneer of legitimacy across the darkest reaches of infinite madness.

Good cat.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
A good cyclist is a smushed cyclist.

People who cycle buy $1200 strollers and act linke cunts.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 17, 2015

T-Square
May 14, 2009

A salesman, a sales manager, and a technician were talking about Supras at lunch today. I mentioned the nice fourth gen Supra that came in for service a couple of weeks ago. They all looked at me like I was an idiot and the sales manager swiftly informed me that there is no such thing as a fourth generation Supra, you heard it here guys.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

T-Square posted:

A salesman, a sales manager, and a technician were talking about Supras at lunch today. I mentioned the nice fourth gen Supra that came in for service a couple of weeks ago. They all looked at me like I was an idiot and the sales manager swiftly informed me that there is no such thing as a fourth generation Supra, you heard it here guys.

As in the first two were technically Celicas, as in only the Mk4, or was it "no cars were built before the year 2000 and we're talking about the concept car"?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Just marathoned Sperglord Firecock's 300ZX thread. It was great.
It also reminded me that one of the fastest drivers in NE rallyx is that guy with the S10 ZR2. Dude just hauls rear end.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't know why I bitch so much guys, I really don't have a bad life so I should shut up and be happy. Money doesn't really matter in the long run.

Like we looked at another apartment complex should we have to move and they base your rent on income and since I dropped a day at the store we'd actually end up paying like $200 less than we do right now so we'd still be in a better place than the last apartment. Plus I scored like 11 hours of overtime this paycheck so bills aren't an issue.

Really the only problem I have in my life (aside from dying family) is that we're in the golden age of being a loving comic book nerd and there's so much poo poo that I want to own and it's cutting into my car money.

And if that's my biggest problem I should shut the gently caress up and just learn to be happy.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

while the sentiment is appreciated, everyone needs to vent sometimes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Enourmo posted:

while the sentiment is appreciated, everyone needs to vent sometimes.

AI is just really great. It's nice to have a sounding board that's overwhelmingly positive.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Rhyno posted:

AI is just really great. It's nice to have a sounding board that's overwhelmingly positive.

Agreed. But one that still keeps you in check, if you're willing to listen.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Living completely in the moment all the time is nigh impossible, but the short times you are able to do so make the struggle completely worth it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yes I do and that's why I am calling you a loving moron because quite clearly he WAS paying attention - If he wasn't paying attention he would have been under a big rear end truck or on his rear end with the imprint of a Corolla's door handle in his rear end. You are straight up victim blaming. He didnt do a single bloody thing wrong and yet you just drop stupidity about "not paying attention" and "jackasses"

I'm a 80km a day kind of cyclist and frankly if I had a Go-Pro I'd have plenty of footage like this. Like yesterday a Vespa rider without indicating cut straight across a bike path without indicating and wondered why I'm having a screaming fit after I juuuust manage to dodge her stupid rear end. Mate, you do not survive as a cyclist without paying attention and most cyclists who get hit simply put are doing their best to avoid said accident. Cars move much faster than you can so if some iPhone wearing idiot swerves into your lane, you better hope the Lord is looking after you.
Well he's riding on the wrong side of the road. But other than that...

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

iwentdoodie posted:

Agreed. But one that still keeps you in check, if you're willing to listen.

The amount of sound advice I've gotten from this forum of car nerds astounds me to this day.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
are we still posting cattes?? caught these two attacking my work fleece this morning :3:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

keykey posted:

A friend of mine is sitting through an A+ cert class right now since his work paid for him to do it since they want all their techs A+ certified. He has been writing nuggets of wisdom all week that the instructor is giving the class. I'm pretty sure his instructor wrote the screenplay for hackers. Enjoy: https://twitter.com/aplusblowhard
Amazing but not too surprising.

iwentdoodie posted:

One, will water hurt a cylinder head? No valvecover, hydraulic lifters. No solvents or high pressure, just with a garden hose to clear gunk and poo poo off it.

Two, cheap impact? Is the HF one decent enough? Just need it to remove a crank pulley.
1 - no just get it all out of there when you're done. 2 - don't have someone that would let you borrow one? Some autoparts store might have one you can rent.

MustardFacial posted:

The amount of sound advice I've gotten from this forum of car nerds astounds me to this day.
Who needs a shrink when you have AI :glomp:

Didn't realize the Moto G had been up-sized between the generations, the extra screen and stuff is nice but drat I liked the original one's size better. Otherwise I'm happy with it and holy crap moving everything between phones was a breeze with the motorola migrate or whatever. All my music, text messages, settings, apps, etc were transferred over. Pretty slick, guess I didn't need to back up everything to an external after all.

Stay classy Tinder:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Spambots?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Yeah. At least those are slightly more subtle than the ones with mangled grammar asking you if you're interested in unforgettable experiences in bed.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Oh yeah definitely bots or a cam site but better than the usual poo poo as Raluek said.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
looks like we have four options plus one long shot (she has applied for a fellowship at that hopkins hospital in maryland, i understood on her that i she gets it that is option #1) baltimore, NY,California or Austin,TX. these are the hospitals that her hospital have deals with when it comes to doctor training things.

I have told her that she picks what she wants, and we will make it work. but i so admit that norcal sounds amazing.

i am so getting a muscle car for golf money when we do the move...

my FD have had training and visits with FDNY before. and we have a "sister house" in NY. I have gotten the contact info for a dude there for possibly getting some sort of deal where i work for free for an american FD. and get a percentage of my pay from norway, in trade for signing a 4 year deal.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

You should also buy some sort of crazy old muscle car to bring back to Norge with you and make all your neighbours jelly

at least up here there are all sorts of 60's and 70's camaros for $18,000-$25,000

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Drove next to the first BMW I8 ive seen in traffic the other day. I take back everything i have ever thought about it. Absolutely loving stunning to see in real life.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
RVA has some crazy bike race next week (UCI?) and people are flipping poo poo all over the city. Guess I'll be hanging out in the suburbs next week.

It's pretty cool that RVA gets something like this, but it's gonna shut the city down. My class is canceled for the duration, and I'm forever grateful to not work downtown.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

A good critical mass cyclist is a smushed critical mass cyclist.

Fixed that for you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

keykey posted:

A friend of mine is sitting through an A+ cert class right now since his work paid for him to do it since they want all their techs A+ certified. He has been writing nuggets of wisdom all week that the instructor is giving the class. I'm pretty sure his instructor wrote the screenplay for hackers. Enjoy: https://twitter.com/aplusblowhard

Oh god the A+...

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Oh god the A+...

A+ the herpes equivalent of tech work.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Enourmo posted:

As in the first two were technically Celicas, as in only the Mk4, or was it "no cars were built before the year 2000 and we're talking about the concept car"?

As in the MK4 is the third generation, and the concept would be the fourth. They just assumed the Celica-Supra was the first, and likely have no idea the Celica XX or whatever exists.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Do you count riding in heavy (suburban) traffic, period, to be fairly safe bicycle behavior? Genuine question, I'm curious.

Let's leave right and wrong out of this, because on a bicycle or any other vulnerable vehicle, even if it's not your fault, it's sure as poo poo your *problem* - My parents have drilled that into me as soon as they let me put on a helmet and ride on the road.

edit:// I'd like to help clarify my victim-blaming mentality here. Back in 2008 or 2009, I was rear-ended by some drunk teenager not paying attention, and deep inside, I considered it slightly my fault because I was hauling rear end like a jackass (mistake 1: I don't know if he was trying to keep up, -1 for lack of awareness) and then braked very hard for a turnoff (BMW 330ci with summer tires and Hawk HPS pads so it could stop dangerously quickly) and didn't look behind me to see if there was some chucklefuck in a truck bearing down on me, which I have since learned to do.
edit2:// it was very late at night, back roads

First off, gently caress you.

Second off, if you think that Hawk HPS stops cars quickly, I have a motherfucking bridge to sell you.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I've met people that don't acknowledge the mk1's existence or lump it together with the mk2 because they look pretty similar (at least in comparison to the mk3)

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 17, 2015

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Preoptopus posted:

Drove next to the first BMW I8 ive seen in traffic the other day. I take back everything i have ever thought about it. Absolutely loving stunning to see in real life.

the skinny tyres look really weird

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So the shop called back about my car, apparently pcm isn't getting signal from the maf even with a good part in place

And now I think I'm an idiot because I have an air/fuel controller installed which intercepts and modifies the MAF signal, and I'll bet money that one of those connectors worked loose (they're the clamp-on spade type that cut through the insulation, which came with it; blame the idiot PO past me that installed them). I'll pick the car up tonight and poke around at it tomorrow, if that's what it ends up being... :negative:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

fjelltorsk posted:

looks like we have four options plus one long shot (she has applied for a fellowship at that hopkins hospital in maryland, i understood on her that i she gets it that is option #1) baltimore, NY,California or Austin,TX. these are the hospitals that her hospital have deals with when it comes to doctor training things.

I have told her that she picks what she wants, and we will make it work. but i so admit that norcal sounds amazing.

i am so getting a muscle car for golf money when we do the move...

my FD have had training and visits with FDNY before. and we have a "sister house" in NY. I have gotten the contact info for a dude there for possibly getting some sort of deal where i work for free for an american FD. and get a percentage of my pay from norway, in trade for signing a 4 year deal.

Where in CA? If it is Fresno, stay in Norway.

Isn't golf money in Norway like 100,000USD or something? That gets you a lot of muscle car.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

nm posted:

Where in CA? If it is Fresno, stay in Norway.

Truth. Even people in the valley regard Fresno as the rear end in a top hat of the valley.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

keykey posted:

Truth. Even people in the valley regard Fresno as the rear end in a top hat of the valley.

That's bakersfield. Fresno is the armpit.

The only inland places worth living not in the mountains is Sacramento (and Davis) and I will cut anyone who says different.
Maybe Chico if you can marry a rich rice baroness and leave half the year and/or are a drunk college student.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Don't forget Methdesto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

14 INCH DICK posted:

Don't forget Methdesto

Beyond Fresno and Bakersfield, I run out of lovely body parts.
I'd love to call stockton to modesto the taint, but how can that be so far above the rear end in a top hat?

Then we have Merced and Hanford and Los Banos.

• Locked thread