Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
There's a nonzero chance that I'll go back and grab the last fight in The Executioner DLC along with some other bits, but for now I'm going to go ahead and move on to THE ASSIGNMENT. In which I am reminded that oh yeah this is a spooky game.

39: Totally Not Umbrella Corp/Polsy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Okay, just a guess, but maybe they don't have faces because the only source for this memory is Kidman, and either she wasn't paying attention to faces at the time, or said Infusion also made sure that not enough linked memories could be placed to make it convincing, part of said "protection"... Although, if this is a STEM hallucination, Ruvik seems pretty aware of this protection, and is working to erode it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think the intro where she talks to the G-man-like guy is her wandering through her own memories. You're already in the ambulance crash at the beginning of the game, after all.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's funny how much of this plot seems to stem directly from Jimmenez being a stupid, evil, petty little poo poo, isn't it? He's the one who had Ruvik stuffed into the machine (which was a huge mistake), he activated the machine again (also a mistake), and he was, you know, an intellectually dishonest and vicious little douche who plagarized research, experimented on patients under his care, and enabled a psychopath.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
It's interesting to see how different the gameplay feels, given it's the same engine. They've done a good job with it.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I'm curious to see how the rest of the DLC plays out. I really like the idea of a less powerful character that has to hide and be sneaky to succeed. In my opinion I think the base Evil Within game would have been much better if it would had at least 50/50 stealth and action instead of 85 percent action 15 percent stealth. The main character feels so powerful and well equipped that the only times I was ever nervous were against blood lady and amalgam alpha.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I don't know how the rest of it will play out so far but the main game did get a bit of power creep. It just takes longer to creep than RE4 did, and that's not bad. I've heard stories of people being short of ammo and having to kick the RPG sadist in the head at the top of the ladder in the last gauntlet and that sounds terrible. Despite my desperate inability to land most of my pistol shots I guess I landed most of the shots that mattered. So far this DLC is challenging me on mechanics I never really used. Hiding!

Main game was definitely strongest around the time the Keeper was introduced. Most of the main enemies are easily killed despite still being super dangerous, and you've got this immortal guy draining your resources. Shortly after you've got the cave adventure and then the blood lady/amalgam fights. Those three chapters were probably the highlight of the game. Just before that was rear end in a top hat mansion and just after that was water monster. Well, the end of rear end in a top hat mansion was okay.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

dscruffy1 posted:

So far this DLC is challenging me on mechanics I never really used. Hiding!
You have no idea how funny that post is with this sitting right next to it.

dscruffy1's avatar posted:

Get in.
Get spotted
Get shot at
Get chased
Get out.
Get shouted at.
Get rich?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Maybe because I have an aversion to this, but I can't see why the pure stealth isn't the weakest of the DLC. At least the Keeper DLC had some interestingness to it with silly combat stuff.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Zain posted:

Maybe because I have an aversion to this, but I can't see why the pure stealth isn't the weakest of the DLC. At least the Keeper DLC had some interestingness to it with silly combat stuff.

This game has some very interesting setpieces to it and you (eventually) get more options than JUST hiding.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Yo, it's time to deal with THE NEW BAD GUY I guess. It's a weird lipstick high heels creepy bastard who has teeth for a midsection. It's really creepy and I'm nervous.

40: Pyramid Head? No. Keeper? No./Polsy

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
Apparently light lady's name is Shade because irony I guess.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

So is our new monstrosity supposed to monster-Kidman? It too wears ridiculously loud heels and is on the hunt for Leslie...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's what I assumed. There's no Kidman-alike monster in the main game, and because of her Magical Injection Of Ruvik Immunity she doesn't ever get taken over like Seb and Joseph; so the creature and its big bright-rear end light probably are there to represent Kidman and her flashlight.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, her nemesis is a monster version of herself. Which I kinda like, actually.

And I thought its name was Spotlight.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Whenever you use the flashlight, the effect you see is something that you would get from old films. What's that called?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

Whenever you use the flashlight, the effect you see is something that you would get from old films. What's that called?

Film grain?

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
No, ugg what is it? I know what he is talking about, it is that thing that you would fix by adjusting the tracking on a VCR.
It is the thing that happens when the film isn't lined up correctly and you start to see the lines that delineate the different cells of film from each other.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That's tracking, which is different.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Are you thinking of vertical sync, maybe? Either way, it is a cool (if a bit unnecessary) effect.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I loved the guy wandering into frame while you saved.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sindai posted:

I loved the guy wandering into frame while you saved.

Yeah, that was a good, subtle scare. "Oh, haha, save points aren't as safe as you think!"

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Oh man I miss being able to actually hit things. Like having a gun. And things of that sort.

41: Like Roaches, But Different/Polsy

pastyfaced
Jan 4, 2014
Might be that I am just a bad player but you really made that elevator waiting part look easy.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I really do like Spotlight head. It's an interesting villain and decidedly creepy as gently caress. I do hope there's more to this DLC than forced stealth. Someone said there was, but not seeing it yet. There's nothing wrong with mandatory stealth segments but all the time just feels so eh.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

At 11:50 you totally missed that bottle and would have made things easier.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Heels Kidman :argh: . The true reason that monster is attacking her is karmic justice for wearing noisy heels in a stealth horror game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
She didn't know what she was in for! Can't blame a lady for wanting to be fashionable :(

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Also it's gotta be better than running around barefoot in STEMiverse or wearing something from there

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
I kept imagining a Metroidvania where a key upgrade was Sensible Shoes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

dasmause posted:

Also it's gotta be better than running around barefoot in STEMiverse or wearing something from there

Seems to work fine for Leslie, that dude is impervious to anything but minor headaches as it turns out :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, the elevator waiting part killed me many times but you did it first try, well done.

Part of what makes hiding from Spotlight hard is when it sees you, its light slows you down.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

CJacobs posted:

She didn't know what she was in for! Can't blame a lady for wanting to be fashionable :(

Didn't this DLC explicitly state that she DID know exactly what was going to happen?
Also, the part about her being removed from the system for insubordination of all things seems interesting. Everything that we see in STEM is constructed from the minds of the people put in it, and the only one who knows anything about Kidman is... well, Kidman. Current theory: she's not nearly as dedicated to Moebius as she proclaimed when she joined them, though she might not necessarily realise it herself. It lines up with what we've seen in the main game- remember, she was trying to kill Leslie even though we've been told multiple times that her sole objective is to retrieve him alive and to hell with everything else.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That file we found earlier listing tons of offenses.... It might have been Kidman herself. Remember, we found it on a chair that looks just like the chair she got her infusion in.

Also, we see here that what we see is not necessarily what others see. From her perspective, Juli wasn't trapped in that aquarium box. STEM seems to be a highly subjective experience.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The most important thing in this episode is that Ruvik can make puns. Bad ones but still. Also really interesting is that Kidman was not in fact panicking from her point of view yet from Sebastian's she was, which suggests not only is it a subjective experience it's one built around the viewers personality/expectations of others and themselves. Which neatly explains why Sebastian's revolver is so ridiculously powerful, also possibly why he can fight Ruvik off where others can't. Even kind of explains why people are turning into monsters, inside Ruvik's mind everyone is a monster and as they lose themselves to his mental strength that fact becomes more and more true.

This also kind of makes the spotlight woman a fairly personal villain, it could very easily be Kidman's guilt over what she intends to do to Leslie manifesting as an enemy that is chasing her down to do the same thing. Makes me wonder what Sebastian would've turned into if he'd transformed.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Lord_Magmar posted:

The most important thing in this episode is that Ruvik can make puns.

What, where? Oh, you mean "Don't kid yourself"? I'm sure that wasn't intentional on devs' part

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Makes me wonder what Sebastian would've turned into if he'd transformed.

A giant wine bottle that fires matches like a machine gun, I'd imagine.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Video is still processing for high quality but that's because I was slow in getting my editing and recording done.

42: The Kidman Strikes Back/Polsy

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Not a fan of all these near misses with Seb and Joe. They feel... narratively lazy? Like they're avoiding having to write them so they'd make sense in the rest of the game while still presenting new content. I realize they're meant to heighten tension, and give the player the impression they're always alone, but it also feels like they're dangling a bit of cheese in front of the player saying "heeeey wouldn't it be cool to reconnect with these guys and maybe catch your breath? There's Joseph now! BAM! And now he's gone." Of course next video will belie this and show them having a tea party or something making me look foolish.

Anyway, good work as always. One suggestion is you should change the intro to say "welcome scruff film fans" every episode to further cement your youtube brand. Also it'd be easier to remember when you change games ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Maybe it's symbolic for how Kidman isn't experiencing the same reality as the others and at rare times everyone's wavelengths are synced.

• Locked thread