Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?

Other half will be up within the week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Yay, something I can regret watching before bed! :dance:

I love Bob as much as the next guy, but I'm partial to your style of LPing, especially when it comes to this genre. Hell, Bob's Silent Hill Homecoming LP is a great example of that style.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
His Homecoming LP is still one of my favorites!

While such a popular LPer tackling the game did make me a little shy to continue my own playthrough, I figure the style is different enough that I may as well follow through on it. Good to have options, and it makes me really happy that they're running such a funny drat thread! Despite how much I try to work up the atmosphere I'd never argue about DS being rife for jokes. :v:

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I really like your more serious style and I really like Kamoc's more jokey style. They can coexist!

Thanks for LPing this DR!

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

I'm going to watch this playthrough of Dead Space that you are doing! Even though you didn't record the penises of the twins in Outlast. I'm still a little angry about thatin fact some times i cant sleep and all i can think about is how you didtn do this thing and i get rreally angry and start to scratch

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Wow, that room seems like a total cluster gently caress, with lots of opertunities for it to all go wrong. All you need to do is go in without much ammo. Still I'm impressed you got through it on one take.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
Thanks a ton for the kind words, folks!

Last week's video on the left, today's video on the right.

Enjoy my embarrassing performance! The Leviathan fight is pretty much a pushover when you're not trying to make it all dramatic, sadly :v: Still cool

Feel free to suggest which weapon we'll go with next. Pulse Rifle, Flamethrower, or Force Gun are our options! Sadly, we're gonna have to choose which of our current weapons to temporarily shelve to make room for the new kid.

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Wow, that room seems like a total cluster gently caress, with lots of opertunities for it to all go wrong. All you need to do is go in without much ammo. Still I'm impressed you got through it on one take.

Yeah I definitely had some luck there!
Dead Space isn't usually particularly hard but there are a few rooms that just kind of peel you apart if you don't know what you're doing/using the right tool for the job. Preparation and a little metaknowledge make it a lot easier!

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The final fight is also harder if you do like me and take not enough ammo except for the flamethrower...

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sempi noticed me :allears:

I'm going to say Force Gun (because I have no idea what it is) switching out the Ripper

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Sempi noticed me :allears:

I'm going to say Force Gun (because I have no idea what it is) switching out the Ripper

Wholly agreed. Although I'll miss the sheer awesomeness of the Ripper, I feel it's the slowest and least precise of your weapons and is more a panic button than anything else. Then again, I've never played DS so I'm probably full of poo poo.

Force Gun x Ripper

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

placid saviour posted:

Wholly agreed. Although I'll miss the sheer awesomeness of the Ripper, I feel it's the slowest and least precise of your weapons and is more a panic button than anything else. Then again, I've never played DS so I'm probably full of poo poo.

Force Gun x Ripper

No, you're right. Ripper is pretty much useless, since it's slow and requires you to stand close to the monster you want to hurt. It performs quite well against hulking Necromorphs, since you can easily position the blade behind their back... but it requires you to almost hug the monster, which is a death sentence.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Gantolandon posted:

The final fight is also harder if you do like me and take not enough ammo except for the flamethrower...

Trying to tackle many of Dead Space's set pieces with a flamethrower is a bit of a rush! Or the Ripper.

placid saviour posted:

Force Gun x Ripper

Yeah the Ripper is a bit of a drag, at least when you're an unpracticed with it as I am! It can be pretty efficient if you use each blade carefully and pump power nodes into it.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

DumbRodent posted:

Trying to tackle many of Dead Space's set pieces with a flamethrower is a bit of a rush! Or the Ripper.

I really wonder - what happens if you use up your ammo for all your weapons but the flamethrower and get grabbed by the huge tentacle? Are you hosed?

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Gantolandon posted:

I really wonder - what happens if you use up your ammo for all your weapons but the flamethrower and get grabbed by the huge tentacle? Are you hosed?

I've actually tried it, and I recall that the flamethrower works surprisingly well during the drag tentacle sequences.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

On the subject of tentacles and drag, are there any enemies that have any noticeable genitalia that you can zoom in and linger on in this game? If so I'd really appreciate it if you took the time to do this.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

lonesomedwarf posted:

On the subject of tentacles and drag, are there any enemies that have any noticeable genitalia that you can zoom in and linger on in this game? If so I'd really appreciate it if you took the time to do this.

Please go away.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

lonesomedwarf posted:

Seriously? What the gently caress.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

lonesomedwarf posted:

Yeah please stop that. I have no idea how else to even reply to these... um... "jokes". :sigh:

Vnat
Jan 24, 2013
This is Dead Space, not Outlast.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
Did a stream of SOMA the other night, it was pretty fun even though I had no idea how to do live commentary and was really nervous in general. :v:

Next chapter should be up in the next few days

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 11, 2015

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
... Where were we again? Let's try and get this thing done :shittydog:

Videos will probably be in 720p from now on.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Yay, this isn't dead!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Glad to see this LP is back :buddy:

I love exploders, they're like walking loot pinatas.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Really glad to see we're still going. Your LP and commentary approach continues to be great, DumbRodent. The new gun, on the other hand... An "enemy must get in close" weapon, given the mechanics of the game, seems pretty bad even if you put a tonna nodes into it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 13, 2015

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Yes, it's back! Christmas come early!

It was creepily surreal when Nicole showed up, alive and well - not even a speck of blood on her suit -, completely out of the blue and then you didn't comment on it at all. Well played, DumbRodent.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
Thanks for sticking around, folks- the lack of motivation's been killer but I fully intend to finish this off now that I have the time and some drive to. Might skimp on the bonus videos until we- presumably- get to DS2 though, it's a lot easier and less pretentious to just talk about the gear and enemies during gameplay.

Next part will be up sometime today or tomorrow!

CJacobs posted:

Glad to see this LP is back :buddy:

I love exploders, they're like walking loot pinatas.

Walking loot pinatas that hate me. :smith:

Discendo Vox posted:

Really glad to see we're still going. Your LP and commentary approach continues to be great, DumbRodent. The new gun, on the other hand... An "enemy must get in close" weapon, given the mechanics of the game, seems pretty bad even if you put a tonna nodes into it.

Funnily enough, the Force Gun gets wonderfully overpowered if you beef it up a little, especially when not on Hard. On my Normal test run it was pretty much shredding most things in this chapter. I might show that off.

The plasma cutter is just way too good and I've maxed out its damage so it now makes every other weapon look like a punk. I need to fix that...

placid saviour posted:

Yes, it's back! Christmas come early!

It was creepily surreal when Nicole showed up, alive and well - not even a speck of blood on her suit -, completely out of the blue and then you didn't comment on it at all. Well played, DumbRodent.

It's a surreal moment! Wasn't really sure how to add to it other than stunned silence. Isaac's journal didn't mention her, either!

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Previous video on the left, shiny new one on the right. I also touched up the OP to make it less rambly.

Suggestions for weapon changes/upgrades in the next chapter are welcome!

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Hooray, new update! Voting to replace the Contact Beam with the Flamethrower.

What would have happened if you let the necromoprhs reach Nicole? Would you get a game over?

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I like the videos in this thread.

OP, do more.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

devildragon777 posted:

Hooray, new update! Voting to replace the Contact Beam with the Flamethrower.

What would have happened if you let the necromoprhs reach Nicole? Would you get a game over?

Yeah, we would have gotten a game over if we'd been too slow. If memory serves it's pretty forgiving though.

Kanthulhu posted:

I like the videos in this thread.

OP, do more.

Thanks! On it! Next one is halfway edited and should be up in a day or two, work and computer repair stuff permitting. I'll try not to go radio silent again!

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
Happy New Year! Let's celebrate with dismemberment.

Also, here's the cipher from the bonus segment, nabbed off the Dead Space wiki and resized by Discendo Vox because I wasn't paying attention to how tiny the thing was!

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 3, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

That linked image is tiny. Here's a bigger one:

I don't have much to say, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the LP, as undoubtedly are many others.

According to internet people, the "I believe" thing was part of a further trailhead to a series of codes hidden ingame in graffiti across all the game's chapters that give ingame bonuses like additional power nodes. Apparently some unitology symbols ingame change, appear or disappear when you shine a flashlight on them. These are code-related.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 3, 2016

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Discendo Vox posted:

That linked image is tiny. Here's a bigger one:

I don't have much to say, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the LP, as undoubtedly are many others.

According to internet people, the "I believe" thing was part of a further trailhead to a series of codes hidden ingame in graffiti across all the game's chapters that give ingame bonuses like additional power nodes. Apparently some unitology symbols ingame change, appear or disappear when you shine a flashlight on them. These are code-related.

Yeah that's a much better shot of the cipher!

Yep, there was some sort of neat stuff with the symbols- I'll probably talk about it a little more in the next episode or so.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hooray! I asked because I only learned about the harem ending while looking up the graffiti.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 3, 2016

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

Discendo Vox posted:

While I'm asking about future videos, ______________________________________________________________________________________
___________________________________peng_________________________________________
?

Of course. What kind of an LP would this be if I didn't?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Oh wow, that last kill animation is hosed up.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

malkav11 posted:

Really came here to say this, on top of my usual praise of the LP. That last one had me stare at the wall going "whoa", for a moment.

Keep up the amazing work, DR! How far in are we, you reckon? Are you still planning on doing DS2 as well?

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

malkav11 posted:

placid saviour posted:

Really came here to say this, on top of my usual praise of the LP. That last one had me stare at the wall going "whoa", for a moment.

Keep up the amazing work, DR! How far in are we, you reckon? Are you still planning on doing DS2 as well?

Yeah, I'm not showing all of the death animations or anything (I think it's more tense when you don't necessarily know all the ways we've barely evaded mutilation, and there are plenty of death compilations on youtube anyways) but that one is kind of special :v:

4 more chapters to go! DS2 is my favorite in the series so we'll probably get around to it. You can look forward to some much worse kill animations that we may or may not see in that.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

I like this chapter. I hope you do too! Stick around to the end of the video for a couple small bonuses.

Also, I have a Twitter now. Feel free to follow it for updates on videos, streams, and retweets of better opinions than my own!

(I meant to bring this up when it was relevant but totally forgot- those that followed my previous thread might like to know that there is now a proper teaser trailer for Outlast 2.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

When I played this game, Twitchers were kinda impervious to stasis - hitting them with the module only returned them to their normal speed. However, in your video it seems to work normally. Did I remember wrong?

• Locked thread