Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

packetmantis posted:

What in the hell is a hypertractor.

Extremely powerful farming equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hailfire
Sep 11, 2011
Bought this game a couple of days ago, really fun and I love the weird as hell world. Bit annoyed though, my best character had just gotten to Golgotha when I got teleported (?) by a goat shaman, which put me literally next to something called a chrome pyramid which one shot me :(

I have a question about unstable genome, does it continue to give new mutations (at a 33% chance) every level, or does it do that only once?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Hailfire posted:

Bought this game a couple of days ago, really fun and I love the weird as hell world. Bit annoyed though, my best character had just gotten to Golgotha when I got teleported (?) by a goat shaman, which put me literally next to something called a chrome pyramid which one shot me :(

I have a question about unstable genome, does it continue to give new mutations (at a 33% chance) every level, or does it do that only once?

Unstable genome only goes off once. However, you can also take multiple levels of it during character creation (up to 5 with a disadvantage) if you feel like playing with completely random mutations.

E: Also, I didn't know chrome pyramids could spawn at Golgotha :ohdear:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Male Man posted:

Extremely powerful farming equipment.

I too hope this means future hyper tractors that rove the lands plowing all indiscriminately and relentlessly show up in future updates as unique machines that can be encountered.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Floodkiller posted:

E: Also, I didn't know chrome pyramids could spawn at Golgotha :ohdear:

There isn't a :stonk: big enough. I've only ever seen them after a fair bit of searching in the Deathlands.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 19, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

dis astranagant posted:

There isn't a :stonk: big enough. I've only ever seen them after a fair it of searching in the Deathlands.

Sounds like the gentlegoon took the World's Worst Spacetime Vortex directly to the face and wound up there.

(Chrome pyramids are more-or-less the most dangerous thing in the game, as far as I know.

Spewing missiles will do that.)

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 19, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, nothing else comes close. They can dish out a thousand damage a round at range and generally require hundreds of pounds of explosives and emp grenades to take down.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I could see uniques theoretically being almost as deadly in extremely rare cases (I had an instantaneous death that I think was from a unique sightless way dude somehow Clairvoyantly spotting me across the map and then chainsmiting me with Sunder Mind, but I'll never be sure), but even then it would take a ToME-esque level of bullshit hell sorcery to even approach the infinite doom that is the Chrome Pyramid.

Speaking of uniques, I met a unique Great Saltback and gave him water. He sold me some tinkering bits and his turtle buds nommed a couple of knollworms for me. :3:

Unrelated: the portable beehive does Weird poo poo to flower reputation. I put one on and now I'm permanently at -8400 base standing with them. I dunno how I managed to get all the flowers in Qud to despise me with the hysterical fury of a crack-addled elder god on a vengeance bender, but, welp

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Floodkiller posted:

-Asphalt Mines (have spare containers for oil if you managed to get a flamethrower)

Where can i find this mythical place?

Nvm found it... anything i should know about it ?

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 19, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Northwest corner of the map, just east of the salt flats. It's right at the edge of the mountains up there. Great spot to find loot, but go prepared for some fairly tough enemies and millions of crabs.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Humans Among Us posted:

North edge of the map, halfway between Bethesda Susa and the Six Day Stilt.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Humans Among Us posted:

Very top of the map, north of Joppa. It's hard to see, but it stands out when you start looking for it.

e:fb

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Has the bug with the stairs to the Asphalt Mines not spawning been fixed? Because that's a real bummer if it gets you the first time you go there. I've seen it happen.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Haha thanks guys :)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Internet Friend posted:

Has the bug with the stairs to the Asphalt Mines not spawning been fixed? Because that's a real bummer if it gets you the first time you go there. I've seen it happen.

Yeah but you can just bind the "phase down one level" debug command and use that. I mean, it's a bug. Just use the feature expressly intended to be of use in debugging bugs like that one.

e: I figured out why plants hate me so much. I have Temporal Fugue and Burgeoning, and whenever I summon my time clones, they immediately fart plants everywhere. The plants do not fully grasp the concept of time clones, and so the time clone plants fight the other time clone plants, the time clones, and me. Every time one of the plants dies in the ensuing clusterfuck, I am blamed for the brutal, unprovoked murder of an innocent flower. Therefore, I am at -66,200 reputation with flowers. :eng101:

e2: I gave some dead pygmies to a baetyl and it rewarded me with a humongous boost to my Machinimist reputation. It's pretty neat walking through Bethesda Susa with all the Rummagers and Psyberneticists happily helping me waste Cragmensch all over the place. It says I'm welcome in their holy places - I wonder if their high priest endboss will greet me with a handshake and let me address the baetyl in peace?

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 20, 2015

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah but you can just bind the "phase down one level" debug command and use that. I mean, it's a bug. Just use the feature expressly intended to be of use in debugging bugs like that one.

e: I figured out why plants hate me so much. I have Temporal Fugue and Burgeoning, and whenever I summon my time clones, they immediately fart plants everywhere. The plants do not fully grasp the concept of time clones, and so the time clone plants fight the other time clone plants, the time clones, and me. Every time one of the plants dies in the ensuing clusterfuck, I am blamed for the brutal, unprovoked murder of an innocent flower. Therefore, I am at -66,200 reputation with flowers. :eng101:

e2: I gave some dead pygmies to a baetyl and it rewarded me with a humongous boost to my Machinimist reputation. It's pretty neat walking through Bethesda Susa with all the Rummagers and Psyberneticists happily helping me waste Cragmensch all over the place. It says I'm welcome in their holy places - I wonder if their high priest endboss will greet me with a handshake and let me address the baetyl in peace?

To the Machinimist reputation, I would think so, considering that the quest says they worship the baetyl, so it would theoretically mean that you've made friends with them enough that they trust you won't blow up their god.

If it doesn't, that ruins my dreams for becoming a mutant that kills so many other mutants that the Putus Templar make them a honorary member instead of just tolerated.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
You could grind rep by just wandering around the desert canyons forever and killing the legendary snapjaws that pop up

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
The asphalt mines also occupies an entire overworld tile (meaning 3x3 normal screens) so if you can't go down in one you can check the others.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
I thought I fixed those loving stairs. :argh:

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

Floodkiller posted:

Dodge Tank - BBDWNKKEBKBNBPB1B2CG
I had never thought to go fully into DV, and your report that you got through Bethesda Susa with this one convinced me to give it a try. And boy am I glad I did. I changed it a little bit, going with Ego instead of Willpower, and Amphibious/Mental Mirror/Slime Glands instead of Electromagnetic Impulse/Thick Fur.

It had just the most delightful power curve, every area I went through, I was curbstomping, all the way to the sky-bear. I did get that hypertractor when I was travelling to Bethesta Susa, which helped a lot. This is the farthest I've ever gotten!

As a side note, Unormal, why don't actual Issachari wear their own garb? This oversight is costing me an Enhanced Prowess Baetyl!! :argh:

Beeme fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 20, 2015

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Man the Templar set up camp in the weirdest places

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Beeme posted:

I had never thought to go fully into DV, and your report that you got through Bethesda Susa with this one convinced me to give it a try. And boy am I glad I did. I changed it a little bit, going with Ego instead of Willpower, and Amphibious/Mental Mirror/Slime Glands instead of Electromagnetic Impulse/Thick Fur.

It had just the most delightful power curve, every area I went through, I was curbstomping, all the way to the sky-bear. I did get that hypertractor when I was travelling to Bethesta Susa, which helped a lot. This is the farthest I've ever gotten!

As a side note, Unormal, why don't actual Issachari wear their own garb? This oversight is costing me an Enhanced Prowess Baetyl!! :argh:

Good to hear! I also had a ton of fun with that one, with the small exception that you had to plan on carrying light, which can make food a bit of a problem later on.

Also, that reminds me that Electromagnetic Impulse is currently really annoying. As expected, every time it goes off, it has a chance of applying EMP to items in your inventory. The issue I had with it, however, is that it could EMP individual nuggets out of a stack that I was carrying around, which would separate one nugget from the stack at a time until the whole stack was spread out across my inventory :argh:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

lol
Torches also refuse to stack properly most of the time it seems.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Turns out the Mechanimists really did welcome me with open arms. Sadly I was unable to Proselytize any of their awesome elite dudes, but a Cyberneticist happily came with me. They didn't mind me looting all their chests, and even murdered their Sightless Way guest on the spot when he confused me and hit me with an axe. Pretty nice guys, those Mechanimists :)

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
When will we get mercury filled executioner swords and razor sharp poison sunflowers?

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Humans Among Us posted:

lol
Torches also refuse to stack properly most of the time it seems.

the same is (horribly) true of eyeless crab legs

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Preview from this week's upcoming patch. Lore for the lorenerds.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Roctavian posted:

the same is (horribly) true of eyeless crab legs

How else can the inventory track exactly how bloody each eyeless crab leg might be? That's important information, you know :pseudo:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Seasoned, butter covered blue-rare eyeless crab legs

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005
So I'm finally trying a "mainstream" build (dual wielding agility dump) after doing a few oddball ones and holy crap, Rejoinder is way too powerful. I know it's a little misleading because the enemies that miss me a lot are not the enemies that pose a threat, so in some sense it's a way to more quickly dispose of trash enemies. On the other hand, if you're pumping agility then a really tough monster might have a 70% chance of hitting you...that's still a 30% increase in (attack) actions taken which is pretty damned powerful. It's also crazy that it blocks an unlimited number of times, so in a case where you're surrounded you're potentially getting 9 actions that turn.

I haven't gotten very far in this run yet (and I'm a noob that's never cleared golgotha), but this run is insanely easier than any other I've ever tried. It's possible the ability scales poorly as the game goes on, but here are some ideas for a nerf (not [necessarily] to be applied all at once)

- Increase skill cost from 150sp. It's the capstone skill for short blades and many others are 300+.
- Increase stat requirements - many capstones require 29 of a stat (although this also limits the skill's use for true men)
- Counter at most N attacks per turn. Maybe agility mod attacks per turn (although in practice this wouldn't change much)
- Counter with a fixed chance (perhaps agility mod * 10%)
- Counterattacks happen at reduced penetration (fits the theme of shortblades well).

You don't have to take these suggestions seriously, and I know the skill system is being revamped, but it's fun to think about how to balance things. Also, short blades + shank are way too powerful, but that's another story.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Sounds like the gentlegoon took the World's Worst Spacetime Vortex directly to the face and wound up there.

(Chrome pyramids are more-or-less the most dangerous thing in the game, as far as I know.

Spewing missiles will do that.)

I've never actually run into a Chrome Pyramid, but now I'm kind of envisioning them as Bolos. Dinochrome Brigade Forever!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, rejoinder is still somewhat over strong. Well keep fiddling with it, but at least there's more than one viable melee weapon type now.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train
I think the balance problem with short blades builds also has something to do with the fact that pumping Agility gets you penetration, DV, weapon skills, half the shield skills, and all of the ranged skills, whereas if you go for any other melee weapon, you have to spread your stats out more to have adequate Strength.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Goncyn posted:

I think the balance problem with short blades builds also has something to do with the fact that pumping Agility gets you penetration, DV, weapon skills, half the shield skills, and all of the ranged skills, whereas if you go for any other melee weapon, you have to spread your stats out more to have adequate Strength.

Yeah that's one of the main issues; the other is that, as stated above, rejoinder scales damage output linearly with the number of enemies around you. I don't feel like even from a flavor perspective that a guy with some knives should get more powerful the more people are around him.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Unormal posted:

Yeah that's one of the main issues; the other is that, as stated above, rejoinder scales damage output linearly with the number of enemies around you. I don't feel like even from a flavor perspective that a guy with some knives should get more powerful the more people are around him.

Make it only effective against the last enemy you attacked in melee, maybe? So it'd be similar to a marked target when using rifles, except automatic.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I won this game when i had collected several of those duplicate item consumables. I tried it on Eaters nectar and it went in this order

1 nectar

then i used 16 of the first pile and felt super powerful. then the second pile became only one and even if i used it it remained in inventory.
cue infinity mutation/stat points.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Are we going to have a legitimate way to deal with/avoid the megafuck pyramids later in the game's development besides firing countless rockets/gauss rounds at them?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Are we going to have a legitimate way to deal with/avoid the megafuck pyramids later in the game's development besides firing countless rockets/gauss rounds at them?

No chrome pyramids hate you. They will always hate you.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I want to be able to start an energy cell production line :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

umm i owned everything with infinity power all the time. before bug is patched.