Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
For be a pro, what are you supposed to do for the "protect puck" coach instruction? I use the protect puck button (X) and get around a defender and never get credit for it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

astr0man posted:

For be a pro, what are you supposed to do for the "protect puck" coach instruction? I use the protect puck button (X) and get around a defender and never get credit for it...

I have yet to trigger mine either, I figure it's muscle past a guy and score right out of it but haven't quite pulled it off yet (last time I'd protected the puck and got a great shot off, it was saved then I potted the rebound.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

It's so weird how only Blackhawks fans play online versus

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Makes sense since they're trying to rape the competition.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Koopa Kid posted:

It's so weird how only Blackhawks fans play online versus

There should be Blackhawks online versus mode then then mode with all the other teams without Blackhawks.

Uniballer
May 14, 2005

Some guy bought me this avatar as a reward for defeating Skizzzer in Internet Hockey. I have slain the mighty! Also, Taylor Hall is gay.
A few of us are playing drop-ins right now. Add Smooovey for some good times

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Uniballer posted:

A few of us are playing drop-ins right now. Add Smooovey for some good times

Bummer, I was on last night but fell asleep, so I don't know of anyone came on. I'll be on Monday and/or Tuesday night after work.

Sidebar: Do we think we should have a separate drop-in LFG thread so we can keep this one to general game discussion? I would say one each for PS4 and XBone but lol.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Dandy Kaiser posted:

When I saw the builds when they were released me exact thoughts were "I'm never going to be anything but PWF/TWD" and after playing with both of them I feel like I was 100% right. If I'm playing Center, I'll probably go with TWF over PWF, but if I'm a winger, I'm going to take PWF every time.

PWF is pretty rad, but the shooting is pretty poo poo on it. But if your game is anything about forechecking, playing out front, two way play, or mucking in the corners like a GOOD CANADIAN BOY it's a good build. I just think one of those three forwards probably should be a sniper. I've been at least a ppg player forever, but I find it def harder to score goals in this because PWF accuracy can't be higher than like 75 for all shots. Assists are easy if you treat it more like real hockey this year, but you've almost awlways been able to overcome a lower passer rating by just being smart.

pretend to care posted:

EASHL reminds me a little too much of FIFA Pro Clubs, in that the primary defensive strategy employed by every single team (especially any team fielding 2 CPU d-men) is to simply have the defense sit as far back as possible in front of the net and just create a mass of humanity that is nearly impossible to penetrate. They won't even bother challenging you at the point because a slapper has to get through 4 bodies and the goalie.

nah good perimeter play will wreck this pretty good. Move until you have a decent lane and fire. The puck pinballs like crazy off players, to the point that it's almost silly. This year more than ever I'd feel comfortable tossing the puck on net if nothing else is going just to get a fat rebound or deflection. Point slappers are really effective whether it's direct scoring or just throwing it on.

Puck physics on the boards are still weird though.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I'm playing against a lot of guys who are deliberately lobbing softies at goalies because rebounds are so ridiculous and it's easier to force own-goals. I got scored on by a guy crossing the blueline along the wall and lobbing a saucer pass into the goalie's feet (Bernier dived backwards into the net and kicked it in), and I've seen a ton d-men helpfully jam the puck into their own net coming back on rebounds. Maybe not as big a deal in EASHL but the AI is still completely dumbfounded by loose pucks, and the pathing is still really rough.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I can't stress enough how great this game is:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeah the dman AI is still bonefuck retarded. Had one of mine grab the puck just outside of the opponents blue line and skate ALL the way back and almost stuff it past our goalie's toe yesterday. :wtf::wtf:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have had no problem with lag in EASHL. I thought I saw it with a UK player in our otherwise US game, because he couldn't win a faceoff, but then our US player played 2 games later and went 5-70 in draws against AI or humans so maybe he didn't know how to do it either.

Defensemen who crowd the net will get worked eventually. It's a bad strategy vs playing proper defense (which does involve staying home to a degree)

Many people are really, really, really bad at this game and it has very little to do with the game and a lot to do with basic hockey positioning and translating it to the control scheme.

I think the game plays slightly better on xbox one than ps4, but that might be my controller bias.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 20, 2015

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

sellouts posted:

I have had no problem with lag in EASHL. I thought I saw it with a UK player in our otherwise US game, because he couldn't win a faceoff, but then our US player played 2 games later and went 5-70 in draws against AI or humans so maybe he didn't know how to do it either.

Defensemen who crowd the net will get worked eventually. It's a bad strategy vs playing proper defense (which does involve staying home to a degree)

Many people are really, really, really bad at this game and it has very little to do with the game and a lot to do with basic hockey positioning and translating it to the control scheme.

I think the game plays slightly better on xbox one than ps4, but that might be my controller bias.

Lag's been pretty ok after launch day for me.

The only consistent thing about the game that is maddening is how often the puck hops over your stick when you're totally uncontested for the puck. I've not seen the super softie rebounds as much this year that Koopa mentioned. 15 was king for that. You could basically gain the zone, softly put it on and get a rebound reliably since it would almost always bounce out the same way.

I tried goalie for the first time last night. Even after I got used to the new buttons it's still so loving janky now. You can hold down l2 all game and you still go out of position frequently and the new method of hugging posts and going across the crease is so unrealistic and lovely. All they had to do to fix goalie was to make the controlled movement button L2 instead of L1.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you play goalie in eashl you're an autist at best and more than likely just a truly handicapped person.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Also letter grades are whack sorry my 1g2a performance in a 3-0 win as a defenseman where we gave up 9 total shots was only a b- performance

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I tried goalie for the first time last night.

Same here :hfive:

Got told to kill myself. So the realism this year seems p good.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

sellouts posted:

Also letter grades are whack sorry my 1g2a performance in a 3-0 win as a defenseman where we gave up 9 total shots was only a b- performance

I won game 11-0 in hut and got b- grade. Ok coach, I guess I should focus more on team play instead of scoring goals and not letting the other guy score.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Change the goalie controls to alterative and change precision movement to on

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
We actually went up against a human goalie who was killing it last night, let in 3 goals (one of which his own teammate poked in) on something like 35 shots. Thus far he's been to only goalie who looked good for an entire game. Every other goalie has taken 3 seconds to go from pipe to pipe, or just not moved at all to stop shots. We even had a goalie who skated out behind the net during live play (when everyone was already in the D zone) and managed to cover the puck for a whistle...directly behind the net with 6 other skaters there. It was both horrifying and amazing.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

astr0man posted:

I still have yet to trigger this... Also it's ridiculous that stick lift doesn't get triggered when you pull off a perfect one that sends the puck sailing by for a breakaway for your linemate :p Oh I'm so sorry I didn't pick up the puck myself, it must have been a garbage play.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Toast posted:

I still have yet to trigger this... Also it's ridiculous that stick lift doesn't get triggered when you pull off a perfect one that sends the puck sailing by for a breakaway for your linemate :p Oh I'm so sorry I didn't pick up the puck myself, it must have been a garbage play.

All of the defensive ones fail to trigger outside of super strict restrictions. Ive done the "Pin them to the boards" and stick lift play a hundred times and coach is still telling me Im a failure for not doing them. Im convinced the coach AI is based off Michel Therrien.

I missed most of the games last night because I went out back to BBQ but came back just in time for one last game with some of you guys. Sorry for blowing it in OT, I dont even know what the gently caress I got a penalty for but it cost us the game. :smith:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Toast posted:

I still have yet to trigger this...

I finally got it to trigger, you have to hold the button through a hit and not get knocked off the puck.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Zip! posted:

Thanks for these – I went maximum try hard and pulled these into Illustrator and created a grid so I could compare the Attribute breakdowns for each player build.

I went even maximer tryharderer and collated this info into a spreadsheet with filters and poo poo that you can all view here: http://tinyurl.com/EASHL16Builds

Incidentally it looks like PWF / TWF are the best all round builds depending on your preference for scoring or passing, Snipers could be excellent but they are literal glass cannons and you should never ever under any circumstances pick an enforcer.

Holy loving poo poo DFD is loving terrible and almost as much of a liability as an enforcer.

code:
Type	Shoot	Skate   Pass	Hands	Defense	Phys    Total (out of 60)
OFD	8	7	9	7	6	5	42
TWD	6	6	9	5	9	7	42
DFD	5	6	5	4	9	9	38

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 21, 2015

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

Holy loving poo poo DFD is loving terrible and almost as much of a liability as an enforcer.

code:
Type	Shoot	Skate   Pass	Hands	Defense	Phys    Total (out of 60)
OFD	8	7	9	7	6	5	42
TWD	6	6	9	5	9	7	42
DFD	5	6	5	4	9	9	38

I've actually had some solid games as a DFD and like it as much as TWD. I'm not sure how much to read into the "numbers" thus far for the builds.TWD certainly handles and passes better, but I wouldn't call DFD a liability, you just can't try to thread ridiculous passes like in years past.

Blackout
Jun 29, 2005

I am a deathdealer.
I''ve looked through the thread and haven't found any team lists yet. Anyone start one up on XBOne yet?

Blackout fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 21, 2015

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

The Rev posted:

I've actually had some solid games as a DFD and like it as much as TWD. I'm not sure how much to read into the "numbers" thus far for the builds.TWD certainly handles and passes better, but I wouldn't call DFD a liability, you just can't try to thread ridiculous passes like in years past.

I would be interested to find out what the full attribute sheet is/was for each class as well. PWF has supposedly the 2nd best shooting ability, but I'm betting thats all in slapshots because I can get bombs off with them if I can get time and space to wind up but my wrist shots are all soft and useless - Sniper the opposite.

From a bit of experimenting yesterday playing with a Sniper, shooting off the rush isn't the auto goal it was most times in 14 and it seems that cycling really is everything in this game in terms of generating consistent chances - cross crease and dangles are pretty much out.

For those unsure on how to set this up - its pretty easy:

On the left side of the ice (mirror this for doing it on the right hand side)
1. LW (in this case the strong side wing) sets up on the half boards by the hash marks
2. RW (in this case, the weak side wing) comes from behind the net and sets up on the end boards right around where the Trapezoid line is
3. C (in this case, and pretty much always, the high man) sets up in the high slot, usually top/inside edge of the opposite circle

4. Weak side wing gets the puck and skates up the boards towards the LW
5. LW skates towards the slot/top of the circle
6. RW passes to LW, C starts to slide in to the back door / low slot
7. LW gets a shot off, C drives for rebounds

Obviously if this was on the other side of the ice, LW and RW swap positions so that LW becomes the guy down low, RW the guy on the half boards. Equally if the first shot misses or ends up in the opposite corner, the C makes a good puck retrieval man either to take the strong side wing position or to hold it up and dump it back round the boards to the otherside.

In terms of setting up off the rush, it seems to work pretty well if the winger carrying it in to the zone fires it around the boards (and then drives behind the net) to the other winger who should be driving down the opposite wing - they then pass it back behind the net and boom the cycle is set and ready to go.

If you want to watch 20 minutes of a team destroying another with this tactic to get a better idea, you can check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0N7Deo26lA

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
DFD is pretty much my go to position right now, as long as i have a 2way or an offensive d man to help out. I just dont even try to pass over 20-30 feet, i might accidentally put it in our net. If its an AI or another DFD, I'll take 2 way.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I'm basically getting a post it, writing PASS EARLIER IDIOT and putting it on my tv when I play. It's cool and good that the physics are such now that it's like real hockey where trying to pass through people means you usually hit them, but my brain is trained otherwise by 5 years of lovely internet hockey already. Some games I do play how you're supposed to now but gently caress I still have to think about it.

Behind the net play works better than ever now. I've had several goals playing with SBA and Slimbrady up top with me doing that.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I'm basically getting a post it, writing PASS EARLIER IDIOT and putting it on my tv when I play. It's cool and good that the physics are such now that it's like real hockey where trying to pass through people means you usually hit them, but my brain is trained otherwise by 5 years of lovely internet hockey already. Some games I do play how you're supposed to now but gently caress I still have to think about it.

Behind the net play works better than ever now. I've had several goals playing with SBA and Slimbrady up top with me doing that.

I have this problem really bad as well, and it's exacerbated by the fact the release on the pass also feels much slower then 14 (last I played).

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I want pics of this Post-It. I should probably do it as well. I'm enjoying 16 but God drat you cannot play this very well while drunk. I switch back into BorkMode™ and that does not work at all now.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Passing in general is a bit fucky right now, I think. I mostly play EASHL but this seems to apply to what little single player I've played as well (Play Now and BAP).

When an NHL player misses on a pass, it doesn't mean the pass goes 10 feet wide like currently happens when your aim is a bit off on your target. It means it was a foot behind them or just out of the reach of their stick ahead of them. It feels like they toned down the pass-assist rather than the accuracy.

That mostly only applies to longer passes, the short-game is still mostly accurate (it happens every now and then that your moron player will fire the puck up to 90 degrees in the wrong direction) and those are the passes you should be looking to make, but still.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pleads posted:

That mostly only applies to longer passes, the short-game is still mostly accurate (it happens every now and then that your moron player will fire the puck up to 90 degrees in the wrong direction) and those are the passes you should be looking to make, but still.

The AI deciding it was my intention to pass the puck to the opposition goaltender rather than my teammate on a two on one is driving me nuts.

Then again, passing the puck on net ends up in a goal one time in three so I'm not sure why I'm complaining.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

FYI The Nieghborhood (PS4) is overly full right now so we highly recommend any new PS4 EASHLers create a team and post it here. You'll fill up. As it is we have like 6-8 people looking to play at the same time each night and will likely have to reduce the roster numbers until launch-rush calms down.

tl:dr:

Bradf0rd posted:

Shitter's full.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Jarmak posted:

I have this problem really bad as well, and it's exacerbated by the fact the release on the pass also feels much slower then 14 (last I played).

Yeah there's definitely a little longer delay in pressing the button and the release now and it is throwing me too. I made a ton of last second, quick hit passes in the past and those really don't work now.

Bradf0rd posted:

I want pics of this Post-It. I should probably do it as well. I'm enjoying 16 but God drat you cannot play this very well while drunk. I switch back into BorkMode™ and that does not work at all now.

haha I will make it later.

That was basically me last night though when I was less than sober and I kept throwing my passes into the feet of converging defenders.

Pleads posted:

Passing in general is a bit fucky right now, I think. I mostly play EASHL but this seems to apply to what little single player I've played as well (Play Now and BAP).

When an NHL player misses on a pass, it doesn't mean the pass goes 10 feet wide like currently happens when your aim is a bit off on your target. It means it was a foot behind them or just out of the reach of their stick ahead of them. It feels like they toned down the pass-assist rather than the accuracy.

I felt like single player is much closer to NHL15. But I agree about the pass assist . Short ones I've noticed you get a lot more passes that are too hard this year. But they've definitely tweaked the assist in some fashion on the long ones. For years, esp in 15, I did a lot of longer break outs that I would bank off the boards. This is a lot harder now because the passing is much more sensative, and because it takes a lot longer to release the pass, esp if you are trying to saucer.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'm also really used to charging up passes a lot before letting go of the button, and that doesn't seem to matter at all in NHL 16.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

One thing that continually pisses me off is when I hit R2 to call for a pass, but the dude passes it a fraction of a second before I hit it. When my guy gets the puck he automatically just flings it straight down the ice. :argh:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Yeah there's definitely a little longer delay in pressing the button and the release now and it is throwing me too. I made a ton of last second, quick hit passes in the past and those really don't work now.

I keep getting hosed because I'm used to holding the pass to the last second so the defender has to commit to me and not be able to go after who I'm passing to. Right now this keeps resulting in me getting the puck taken away without seemingly ever trying to release the pass.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

One thing that continually pisses me off is when I hit R2 to call for a pass, but the dude passes it a fraction of a second before I hit it. When my guy gets the puck he automatically just flings it straight down the ice. :argh:

If you've realised you've done hosed up, hold L1 it should cancel the pass. Same if you're charging a pass and realise its not on any more.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Any interest in Euro goon team? I would love to play with everyone here but the lag would be just too big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm also really used to charging up passes a lot before letting go of the button, and that doesn't seem to matter at all in NHL 16.

Yeah you can't really zip them anymore witch is stupid. I end up using saucer passes most of the time because of this as the normal long pass is mostly useless.

• Locked thread