Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

I've only seen Sheryl Lee in one or two other things outside of Twin Peaks but she's always been really good, it is weird she didn't get more and bigger roles. She's one of the best things about John Carpenter's Vampires, which isn't a perfect film by any means, but her performance in it really stands out.

I've seen her in one other thing with Terrence Stamp. I get the feeling you'll know what I'm talking about.

But yeah, her Maddie was amazing. And that end scene of FWWM was something else. You could see any number of things in that expression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
I finished Season one, and then predicted that Leland was the killer but I am finding little reason to continue watching Season 2. The politics of the saw mill fire / the brothel / everything else don't really interest me, and the show seems to have lost its magic.

Additionally, I read a lot of detective novels, and the use of "multiple personalities" as as a way of making your character appear perfectly innocent at certain times is a really cheap trick to create a villain.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Its a satire of a police procedural.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I finished Season one, and then predicted that Leland was the killer but I am finding little reason to continue watching Season 2. The politics of the saw mill fire / the brothel / everything else don't really interest me, and the show seems to have lost its magic.

Additionally, I read a lot of detective novels, and the use of "multiple personalities" as as a way of making your character appear perfectly innocent at certain times is a really cheap trick to create a villain.

Most agree that the show loses some luster after the reveal but I'd at least watch the finale if I were you.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Fruit Smoothies posted:

The movie also has a different spin on things that might resolve your issues with the villain thing.

Crunch Grabowski
Sep 4, 2015

by Ralp
I am really excited to see how lynch will bring Twin Peaks into the present day. Will he ignore current technologies, changing demographics, and keep TP in some kind of time warp?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm interested in the new actors who will be joining the show. I can't imagine it'll just be a reunion of the original cast without adding some more familiar, youthful faces as new characters too. Here's hoping Rashida Jones appears as Norma's daughter, for one thing.

Have we heard anything about Michael Ontkean returning? He never did much after Twin Peaks, but as much as we love and miss Cooper, it wouldn't feel the same without Truman there too. And Audrey. And hopefully Albert, Gordon Cole, Denise Bryson, and the return of Chester Desmond and Phillip Jeffries.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I bet Lara Flynn Boyle doesn't come back.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I bet Lara Flynn Boyle doesn't come back.

For some reason I just imagine her spending her life by sitting in a corner somewhere with a permanent scowl on her face.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Raxivace posted:

For some reason I just imagine her spending her life by sitting in a corner somewhere with a permanent scowl on her face.

Given how much work she had done on her face I'm not sure that she's capable of scowling any more.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Anyone following the Twin Peaks Archive on Twitter? They're following the film crew. There's a pretty funny very mild spoiler in one of their tweets, regarding the name of a store in town.

It's making me somehow even more stoked for season three.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I still want Lara Flynn Boyle and Moira Kelly to both come back as Donnas.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lord Krangdar posted:

I still want Lara Flynn Boyle and Moira Kelly to both come back as Donnas.

One of them should just be Donna's suspiciously similar looking cousin.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Raxivace posted:

One of them should just be Donna's suspiciously similar looking cousin.

But they should never tell us which is the cousin.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife was rapidly losing interest, so we skipped a handful of late Season 2 episodes and just finished watching the finale. She was mostly frustrated by the ending, and I still found it harrowing, with that sense of foreboding dread, doom, and utter WRONGNESS that Lynch does so well.

I still don't like the finale (or Fire Walk With Me, aside from the parts with Chris Isaak in bizarro Twin Peaks and the David Bowie bit), so I'm really looking forward to the new season rescuing Coop and confirming Audrey survived.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Man I loved Chet and Stanley so much, would love more of them.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Man I loved Chet and Stanley so much, would love more of them.

I doubt they'd get Keifer back, but Chris Isaak would be awesome in season 3.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Anyone following the Twin Peaks Archive on Twitter? They're following the film crew. There's a pretty funny very mild spoiler in one of their tweets, regarding the name of a store in town.

It's making me somehow even more stoked for season three.

yeah, kinda strange to follow up on that incredibly minor S1 subplot with that business name. It gets me psyched to because I feel no matter how much fans theorize about what S3 Twin Peaks is going to be like its gonna be odd, surprising yet perfectly fitting.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

crowoutofcontext posted:

yeah, kinda strange to follow up on that incredibly minor S1 subplot with that business name. It gets me psyched to because I feel no matter how much fans theorize about what S3 Twin Peaks is going to be like its gonna be odd, surprising yet perfectly fitting.

Which S1 subplot is that?

Scandalous Wench
Aug 9, 2010

by Lowtax
I wonder if we're going to see Lucy's baby all grown up in S3. Also, seeing Andy as a doofy older dad (assuming they're still together) would be too cute. :3:

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Which S1 subplot is that?

Minor S3 detail:
Well, if I can call Nadine's struggles to invent silent drapers a "subplot".....a picture of an exterior set for S3 depicts a home decor business with the tagline "run silent, run drapes" so one can assume that S3 Nadine is a successful business owner/ minor inventor.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Prediction: The new BOB is little Nicky

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

crowoutofcontext posted:

Minor S3 detail:
Well, if I can call Nadine's struggles to invent silent drapers a "subplot".....a picture of an exterior set for S3 depicts a home decor business with the tagline "run silent, run drapes" so one can assume that S3 Nadine is a successful business owner/ minor inventor.

That is amazing, though I'm kind of surprised to see Lynch do something like that.

regulargonzalez posted:

Prediction: The new BOB is little Nicky

Or it could be Lucy and Andy's child.

Scandalous Wench
Aug 9, 2010

by Lowtax

Raxivace posted:

Or it could be Lucy and Andy's child.

That would be brilliant and horrifying.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't know what the hell you all are talking about, Nadine's silent drape runners was the most compelling subplot in the whole series.

Scandalous Wench
Aug 9, 2010

by Lowtax
I for one would welcome a reboot of Invitation to Love.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Scandalous Wench posted:

I for one would welcome a reboot of Invitation to Love.

They should just run an actual Invitation to Love series alongside Twin Peaks. It's not like Showtime has anything else at all that I want to watch so it would get my eyeballs on their channel longer.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I hope we find out if Leo got away from those spiders.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I hope we find out if Leo got away from those spiders.

And will he get new shoes?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

And will he get new shoes?

The spiders are his new shoes!

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Amanda Seyfried has joined the cast.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Well, she kind of was the Laura Palmer for Veronica Mars, so that's cool.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just saw Alicia Witt as I'm making my way through Person of Interest, and I thought about how she NEEDS to be in Season 3. She actually appeared on Twin Peaks as a very young girl, playing Donna's younger sister. She played some mean boogie woogie on the Haywards' piano. And now she's an adult, absolutely gorgeous, and still an actress, so hopefully there's a part for her... maybe as the town's new doctor?

On that note, Rashida Jones needs to appear as Norma's daughter.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Well, she kind of was the Laura Palmer for Veronica Mars, so that's cool.

You know, I never before thought of the connections between the two, but as soon as you mentioned it, it's completely obvious how much Veronica Mars was influenced by Twin Peaks.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Chairman Capone posted:

You know, I never before thought of the connections between the two, but as soon as you mentioned it, it's completely obvious how much Veronica Mars was influenced by Twin Peaks.

I saw Veronica Mars first so it was jarring for me when I first started Twin Peaks.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Just finished all of Twin Peaks + FWWM this morning (been watching all summer). Man, I have such conflicted feelings about this show! I feel like about half of the second season was just a waste of time - made up for by the last episode of awesomeness.

Not sure where I should use spoiler tags here, but what the gently caress was the point of the whole Eckert/Josie/Ghostwood subplot? That poo poo went nowhere. So Horne is probably Lara Flynn Boyle's father? So what? How does that matter at all? Why was this only hinted at for maybe two episodes? I'm so, so glad Billy Zane showed up to get Audrey's rocks off because the whole time I was just wondering - why isn't Audrey having sex? I just read the wikipedia article and apparently the lame inclusion of dead-pan nun Heather Graham was due to Lara Flynn Boyle drama, so I guess that explains some of it.

I was also not a fan of Windom Earle - the actor was not scary at all and his machinations made the second half of season two cartoon-y and goofy. OK, and what the hell happened to the Sue Ellen Mischke character? She just phoned the South African consulate after raping Harry and killing that other guy in the same room?!

I've also read a couple of the last pages of this thread - I do not know the meaning of the doppelganger stuff. My interpretation was Leland killed Laura in part, but not entirely, because of his infestation by Bob - or that Bob had been in him for so long, it was hard to fully separate the two (this was complicated by FWWM). I don't quite know what to make of the evil Dale or the line that I didn't catch watching the episode from the doppelgangers (or originals) saying that they didn't do it. What do y'all think of the doppelgangers?

I loved- loved FWWM! I can't believe how poorly it was received. I never gave a single gently caress about Laura Palmer or her dumb black wig cousin until I saw the film, and the Sheryl Lee performance was absolutely fantastic. It didn't resolve anything, but the way Lee would move from innocent to troubled to creepy to sexy to scary to drugged out - I mean, wow. I'd heard my whole life this film was crap.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012
Sue Ellen Mischke? What are you talking about?

nopants
May 29, 2004

juniperjones posted:

Sue Ellen Mischke? What are you talking about?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenda_Strong

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

On that note, Rashida Jones needs to appear as Norma's daughter.

Was there a single black person in the entirety of Twin Peaks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

steakmancer posted:

Was there a single black person in the entirety of Twin Peaks?

No, but we got a trans woman and an Indian so the minority quota was filled. Also a hilariously racist Asian costume.

• Locked thread