Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

King Vidiot posted:

i'm going to poo poo into your eyeballs and give you pinkeye and charge you $5000 for a conjunctivitis pill and you'll buy it because you're a gullible dipshit

Lol no you wont. Here in the UK it's £8.20 for any prescription drug because we have the NHS while you yanks get ripped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
:tinfoil: this guy is doing this just to boost Hillary's drug plan. False Flag, because nobody in their right mind would boost the price of an out-of-patent drug 5000%.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tramadol Junkie posted:

Lol no you wont. Here in the UK it's £8.20 for any prescription drug because we have the NHS while you yanks get ripped off.

Move to Wales and save that £8.20 per prescription too.

And Cardiff is the best place to live in the UK too apparently! (Just find a way to not have to suffer the lovely wages those of us who live here get).

Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

EL BROMANCE posted:

Move to Wales and save that £8.20 per prescription too.

And Cardiff is the best place to live in the UK too apparently! (Just find a way to not have to suffer the lovely wages those of us who live here get).

NO thanks I cant stand you sheep shagging, taffy bastards. Scotland maybe, they still have free prescriptions.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

My Q-Face posted:

:tinfoil: this guy is doing this just to boost Hillary's drug plan. False Flag, because nobody in their right mind would boost the price of an out-of-patent drug 5000%.

Actually he's just a stupid selfish rear end in a top hat.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking
Also to all the people wondering why no one makes a generic, companies often subtly control the supplies of the precursors needed to make their drugs. This makes it much harder to manufacture generic versions of said drugs.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
lol, monopoly is de facto legal weeee

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
How can you have so much money and still have such a ridiculous loving haircut.

Like does he walk into a fancy salon and ask them to bring out the bowl like momma used to do.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

d3c0y2 posted:

How can you have so much money and still have such a ridiculous loving haircut.

Like does he walk into a fancy salon and ask them to bring out the bowl like momma used to do.

There's no pill for bad taste.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
it was reported here that it will be free to people who can't afford it, not really sure how that works. if I have 750 bux in the entire world, do I still have to pay to live?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
it gives me hope that if masked men strung this guy up from the nearest convenient lamp post and hung a sign around his neck listing his crimes the vast majority of people would be like "well. that dude DID suck poo poo"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
well maybe people shouldn't let dudes cum in their rear end and not worry about AIDS in the first place.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
loving l o l at reading any of this tryhard SJW OP poo poo

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

is that a jewish last name? i dont know, but this seems like a very jewish thing to do

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

lol if you think $13.50 per pill isn't amoral price gouging in the first place

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Whiskey Sours posted:

is that a jewish last name? i dont know, but this seems like a very jewish thing to do

Not really it goes against the principals of Tikun Olam.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
not soon enough op...

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Whiskey Sours posted:

Albanian I think.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

FogHelmut posted:

lol if you think $13.50 per pill isn't amoral price gouging in the first place

they were previously only making $5 million dollars in profit. :(

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Albanian I think.
Yeah, he's descended from an Albanian tribe whose patron saint was Santa Claus.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Albanian I think.

clever slavs...

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Holy much did he pay for the brand name or whatever? Because if someone makes a generic version in response to this and no one buys his anymore, that could be funny, right?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Professor Shark posted:

Holy much did he pay for the brand name or whatever? Because if someone makes a generic version in response to this and no one buys his anymore, that could be funny, right?

barrier of entry for pharmaceuticals is basically impossible to break through.

our government is supposed to prevent that kind of thing but... heh

crazy eights
Aug 23, 2015

by Lowtax
Reminder that Donald Trump is unironically 10000% more likely to do anything cool about this or call the guy a piece of poo poo than :shillary: is.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

nomadologique posted:

ie the pill is only "exclusive" bc nobody is making a generic version, he just bought the brand-name it seems

he's also exploiting a loophole to make it impossible for other companies to acquire the materials to offer a generic

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I hope he is killed by an assassin.

Rainbow Daesh
May 19, 2015

by Ralp

Drunk Nerds posted:

Allow me to explain the OP
A douchebag just bought the rights to a pill thaf contains toxoplasmosis, and is used to treat AIDS. He immediately jacked the price up from $13.75 to $750 per pill. When questioned, he has explained that he pretty much loves money

was he jewish

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Professor Shark posted:

So freemarket.txt says someone will make it for only $50 a pill, right?

it's pretty simple:

step 1 : find super obscure yet life-saving drug that only one company bothers to produce because volume & margins are so low
step 2 : buy out company and restrict distribution so competition has a harder time reverse engineering the drug, raise price x5000
step 3 : rake in money while another pharma company rushes to produce a reasonably priced generic which will probably take months
step 4 : go to step 1

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
no you see he's actually super rational and found a flaw in the free market where this drug wasn't competitive enough and is just encouraging that competition :downs:

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
The sad thing is until another company comes up with a generic alternative or the government intervenes he's going to make a killing.

And some people will die.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
'wait a second... oh my god i've figured it out... i'm a genius!! people don't like dying! i'll make millions'

*holds life-saving drug hostage for a bajillion dollars holding his pinky up like loving dr. evil*

'buhhh no one understands my genius loving libtards'

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

quote:

In the United States, as of 2015, with the acquisition of U.S. marketing of Daraprim tablets by Turing Pharmaceuticals,[14] pyrimethamine has become a single-source and specialty pharmacy item, and the cost of pyrimethamine has increased.[15] The cost of a monthly course for a person on 75 mg rose to about $75,000/month, from $13/tablet to $833/tablet,[16] or $750 per tablet per a New York Times report from September 2015.[17][18] Outpatients can no longer obtain pyrimethamine from their community pharmacy, but only through a single dispensing pharmacy, Walgreens Specialty Pharmacy, and institutions can no longer order from their general wholesaler, but have to set up an account with the Daraprim Direct program.[15]

this is literally outright evil as gently caress. like at $13 a tablet with a mere 2000% markup is eye rollingly bad but hey, people being people. but this is actual evil lol

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

Jeza posted:

it was reported here that it will be free to people who can't afford it, not really sure how that works. if I have 750 bux in the entire world, do I still have to pay to live?

There is probably some arbitrary income threshold below which you'll get the drug for free.

Really the burden of this price hike is going to fall on the shoulders of the insurance companies, which will then translate to higher premiums, increasing the cost of our healthcare system as a whole.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

I hope right now real life James Bond is infiltrating their storage facilities to steal what we need to make the drug.

Seriously this dude is like a bond villain. Evil slick backed hair and everything.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
yes exactly. he knows no one is going to let people die because of this price hike so they'll be forced to buy the drug no matter what. it's why he chose a life-saving drug instead of some generic that makes your nose less runny or w/e

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
he was also careful to place the cost of treatment as roughly equal to state of the art cancer treatments because he knew that was the upper ceiling the market could bear.

it's literally a sociopath running irl mmo-style min-maxing

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
good thing we've got obamacare encouraging all these prices down :obama:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
nationalize the health industry imo

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
the law is a funny concept because doing this is legal while starting a pool to hire a hitman is not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Nationalize every vital industry imo.

• Locked thread