Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

HD DAD posted:

Snake man: good concept, so obviously a segway.

It's Doctor Who, though, so it's in the great tradition of wonky special effects.

Myself thought he was on roller skates; there's a little too much side to side swaying (but then again, I'm no Segway expert). As a consequence I thought initially he was going to turn out to be some kind of camp or comedy character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Well have we had a villain who rolls around on 60's roller skates like a drive in employee?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Well have we had a villain who rolls around on 60's roller skates like a drive in employee?

Ah yes, the Terrible Zodin.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

No, it was bad. A shame because Capaldi and Gomez are such a delight to watch together. Moffat really needs to go.

Maybe I'm just so used to Moffat making GBS threads in his hand and smearing it all over the tv screen, but Gomez and Capaldi were enough for me to rate this episode as mediocre. Moffat's done way, way worse. The previous season premiere was so terrible, I nearly wrote off Capaldi's entire run before it even aired.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Maybe I'm just so used to Moffat making GBS threads in his hand and smearing it all over the tv screen, but Gomez and Capaldi were enough for me to rate this episode as mediocre. Moffat's done way, way worse. The previous season premiere was so terrible, I nearly wrote off Capaldi's entire run before it even aired.

Last season was so terrible that for the first time in New Who I didn't rush to watch the new episode. I honestly afraid it would be worse than what did air.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I thought last season was really drat good (outside of one pretty bad episode and one really quite awful one), and a big step up from the fractured feel that season 7 (season 6 was worse in that regard but including some astonishingly good episodes to make up for it).

This is Moffat's 5th season and I'm still happy with the overall quality of his work, I might be eager for a replacement if I felt there was somebody waiting in the wings who could clearly do as good if not a better job than him. The closest person is Mark Gatiss, and I think he'd probably be likely to just produce a Moffat-style production anyway given their close ties and co-showrunner status on Sherlock.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That's the thing with "Moffat needs to go," I've never seen anyone follow that statement up with "and be replaced by:"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

2house2fly posted:

That's the thing with "Moffat needs to go," I've never seen anyone follow that statement up with "and be replaced by:"

Toby Whithouse is a plausible suggestion.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

2house2fly posted:

It doesn't have to be anyone currently involved in the show. I'd be happy with Joss Whedon at this point.

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Didn't RTD "need to go" too? And JNT before him?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RunAndGun posted:

Let's be fair

JNT wanted to go

There just wasn't anyone to replace him

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

RunAndGun posted:

RTD going gave us Moffat's first season which was one of the best in the show's history.

New blood is good in general. I bet Gatiss, for instance, has a great idea for a new tone and theme that would be really cool and fitting given his involvement in the show for so long.

And sure, he'll probably run his every success into the ground in a couple years, but that's when you get someone else in. Moffat wrote some incredible Doctor Who. But he's largely lost it. His best ideas are out there, and now he's just flailing.

I'd bet we're going to get some variation on the general idea in Christmas Carol where the Doctor changes the present by messing with the villain's past, but on a ridiculous scale with all the Daleks and stuff involved.

It'll probably be interesting, but it won't be as fresh as when he first did it, (forget that it never really made any sense, it was a neat idea) and it'll only be one idea in a pile of a billion he's throwing at the wall.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Rhyno posted:

It doesn't have to be anyone currently involved in the show. I'd be happy with Joss Whedon at this point.

Look, I'm fairly unhappy with Moffat, too, but let's not get unreasonable and say things we can't take back.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I still hold that Moffat's run would be overall improved if he wasn't juggling Sherlock as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vanderdeath posted:

Look, I'm fairly unhappy with Moffat, too, but let's not get unreasonable and say things we can't take back.

I STAND BY MY STATEMENT.

Edit: I mean come on, it's not like it could be worse than the loving tree episode.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 23, 2015

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Rhyno posted:

Edit: I mean come on, it's not like it could be worse than the loving tree episode.

The worst part is that at this point, it's now possible to ask which loving tree episode.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Eiba posted:

New blood is good in general. I bet Gatiss, for instance, has a great idea for a new tone and theme that would be really cool and fitting given his involvement in the show for so long.

I always imagine Gatiss's take on the series would be more quiet and thoughtful stories, more akin to Classic Who, which would probably suit Capaldi down to the ground too.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Whoever the show runner is needs to put in as many scenes possible with Capaldi running, as Capaldi's run is a great joy.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Mark Gatiss, Toby Whithouse, Chris Chibnall, Nicholas Briggs...there a lot of options out there when Moffat steps down.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

CobiWann posted:

Mark Gatiss, Toby Whithouse, Chris Chibnall, Nicholas Briggs...there a lot of options out there when Moffat steps down.

Neil Cross as well.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

2house2fly posted:

MEEEEEEEE

(Or, more accurately, a trip back to Producer/Script Editor land because I don't think it's any coincidence that the quality of the scripts supplied by the show runner absolutely nosedived over their runs)

RunAndGun posted:

When my ratings list is finally finished there's a big chance that the bottom 3 rated producers will be Nathan-Turner, Davies and Moffat. In fact I think it's almost guaranteed at this point.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MrL_JaKiri posted:

MEEEEEEEE

(Or, more accurately, a trip back to Producer/Script Editor land because I don't think it's any coincidence that the quality of the scripts supplied by the show runner absolutely nosedived over their runs)

When my ratings list is finally finished there's a big chance that the bottom 3 rated producers will be Nathan-Turner, Davies and Moffat. In fact I think it's almost guaranteed at this point.

Strictly as a Producer though Davies was loving amazing.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

If this really was like a RTD script there definitely would've been a joke about his brother being Colony Narrf - who'd be gay.

"Lots of planets have a Narrf!"

CobiWann posted:

Any of these would be acceptable to me, especially Nick Briggs, who I maintain is one of the best showrunners in Doctor Who already. I just love the fact that the show is by/for/and of the fans at this point and I don't want to lose that with some non or casual fan coming in who thinks Geordi Captain Jack is an alien.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rhyno posted:

The Doctor regenerates into a quipping half Asian (by name only) girl with Kung Fu Powers.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

MEEEEEEEE

Agreed. People just throw out writers that have done good stories as possible showrunners with no idea at all if they are qualified to do the job. Writing for a show is completely different to managing the shows output.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EatinCake posted:

It's just really eye-rolling when someone pulls them aside with: "the prime minister's on the phone and they want you!" and the character just smirks like they're off to work again. I don't really understand why that sort of stuff is even in the show- it almost always drags and is seldom interesting.

Well, you nailed something that was bothering me about the episode but I couldn't quite articulate. It's boring when the supposed audience surrogate gets the Mary Sue Super Agent treatment. It's boring when nothing feels grounded in reality. It's boring when dudes can blow the gently caress up a billion times and just be OK like nothing happened. There are no stakes anymore and nothing has any meaning. So Clara just got vapourized by the Daleks? Big loving deal, she obviously isn't dead and it'll all be technobabbled away in five seconds this weekend.

Add to this the general over-hectic tempo, the rapid and dramatic mood swings and all the other issues and I did not care for the episode at all. Like you said, there were lots of cool little ideas, but the whole thing didn't come close to coming together.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If you need to find the Doctor, who do you call to help you if not his best friend who he goes places with all the time?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

2house2fly posted:

If you need to find the Doctor, who do you call to help you if not his best friend who he goes places with all the time?

Or even better, just start working on some convoluted nefarious plot and he'll turn up all on his own.

Dalek Sec: "Okay, what if we invert the flow of time in a pocket universe and use that to de-evolve all the birds in the zoo into raptors and then give them all null-space dimensional disruptors which allow them to teleport to Earth ..."
Dr Who runs in: ">puff puff< Sorry I'm late, what'd I miss?"

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

While Nick Briggs is obviously never going to be considered for television anyway, I don't think he'd want the job. He's never had to deal nationwide ratings, a food chain of producers and executives, and so on (not to mention all the additional hassles that result from combining the head writer and producer roles, such as shooting budgets, set requirements, rubber spiders, etc.) I love to call him "the luckiest fan of all time" because, unlike other lifers-in-charge (RTD, GMS and JNT), he's completely build his own little niche with fewer people to please. He doesn't need to worry about future career in television, let alone burnout.

Now, getting a few episodes written by him would be a different story, although something like Creatures of Beauty would probably melt a lot of viewers' brains. :getin:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

2house2fly posted:

The trouble is that the more nods you make to how things "would really work" the more the completely unrealistic things* that you don't address become problems for the audience.

*Not the "time travelling man in a box fighting condiment containers" sense of unrealistic, the down to earth stuff.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Gatiss is the obvious choice. Working with Moffat on both shows, he's likely familiar with the production process and hassles. Taking a step back may actually improve his episodes. Or he could be just as bad as Moffat, with all the same issues. Who knows?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mr Beens posted:

Agreed. People just throw out writers that have done good stories as possible showrunners with no idea at all if they are qualified to do the job. Writing for a show is completely different to managing the shows output.

Gatiss, Whithouse, Cross, Chibnall etc have all been showrunners before, but it's a good point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

2house2fly posted:

Having Clara along is probably more about making the Doctor behave. He's a loose cannon without someone to reign him in, and the Master going on her own (without a diabolical plan in the works) isn't going to be enough to make him get his act together - She was right there alongside him for all the really bad poo poo in the Time War.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Chibnall's track record indicates season one of Broadchurch was a (wonderful) aberration, I'd be pretty worried if he became showrunner, ESPECIALLY based on his actual Doctor Who output.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'd happily take Matthew Graham as long as I could whack him with a rolled-up newspaper a few times and say "like The Rebel Flesh, not like Fear Her".

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Rewatching it, there's a glaring flaw in the bit where Missy opens the airlock. Clara is completely wrong, they wouldn't get sucked out if they were in space. They would get blown out.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

My question in that scene is what happened to the snake binding Clara's wrists? She steps out of the airlock with her arms behind her back, and then in the next shot she's throwing her arms out and there's no snake. I hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

2house2fly posted:

Rewatching it, there's a glaring flaw in the bit where Missy opens the airlock. Clara is completely wrong, they wouldn't get sucked out if they were in space. They would get blown out.

:agreed:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The CGI in that scene was pretty bad, just sayin'. Davros really cheaped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

howe_sam posted:

My question in that scene is what happened to the snake binding Clara's wrists? She steps out of the airlock with her arms behind her back, and then in the next shot she's throwing her arms out and there's no snake. I hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Snake couldn't detect the quality of the gravity, didn't trust Missy's opinion and bailed

• Locked thread