Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

TEAYCHES posted:

tell that to the europes

I'd tell that to anyone, fyi. "Ethnic and cultural differences" as excuses are just extra lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
Europeans benefit from Neanderthal hybrid vigor, the same factor is at play for Asians and Denisovans. Africans are basal Hom0 Sapiens and thus have a more limited genetic pool. See: Amerindians, Australian Aborigines for more examples of this.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

TEAH SYAG posted:

I think they (africans) simply don't want buildings

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

GORDON posted:

I've never liked this excuse. "Don't kill peeps" is a pretty simple rule, and there are no exceptions for "ethnic and cultural" differences.

some people need killing

death to israel

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

GORDON posted:

I'd tell that to anyone, fyi. "Ethnic and cultural differences" as excuses are just extra lame.

i guess the point is that africa isnt unique in that respect whatsoever

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Bamford Brownstone posted:

in the past you had a beard, and you stood around listing shps, or possibly walls, and who build the walls and why. people were really stupid back then, and thought beards Signified in a special french way, and walls were magical? because everyone was arab and lived in a swamp. and people would listen to you, with their arab swamp stink, because you knew the secret of te wall, and had a beard. also you probably had a gay lute, made out of Cats. but Capitalism has changed all that. now you have to pay exhorbitant sums to remove your beard, because they no longer SSignify, but also walls are no longer magical things people sing gay songs about in various forms of verse. most people understand walls and their construction, in fact if you think about it you might even say, wwe have wall–aournd our souls. it’s pretty heavey to think about, much like the first song off classic 1999 album “the soft bulletein” from the flaming lips. yours –lyle

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

TEAYCHES posted:

i guess the point is that africa isnt unique in that respect whatsoever

I think it all comes down to "This guy wants that guy's stuff, and he will whip up some nationalistic/ethnic/religious fervor to convince some disenfranchised young men to go get it for him."

Can you imagine what would happen if there weren't any more poor 18 yo men in America? We'd have no more military. Volunteer military, anyway.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

the demographics of the armed forces being only poor brown ppl are highly exaggerated, the military is mostly white and mostly middle class, its also not particularly uneducated compared to the rest of the population

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

TEAYCHES posted:

the demographics of the armed forces being only poor brown ppl are highly exaggerated, the military is mostly white and mostly middle class, its also not particularly uneducated compared to the rest of the population

Ok, no more Marines, then.

(I was a Marine, I know)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

GORDON posted:

I've never liked this excuse. "Don't kill peeps" is a pretty simple rule, and there are no exceptions for "ethnic and cultural" differences.

It's an explanation not an excuse.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
Evil white imperialists ruined all of Africa 100 years ago so badly that the noble Africans couldn't fix their own poo poo in the following century.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
all the jobs are hidden under their workboots, op

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's an explanation not an excuse.

That doesn't legitimize it.

So what does it take to have perfect awareness of people, their actions, and intentions so thy can be stopped/destroyed before they set out to hurt someone else? Because that's the only solution for Africa. And it aint happening, so. Avoid them and don't let them out and write them off, I sez.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What's not legitimate about it? People do things for reasons. You don't have to agree with them.

red_dirt
Apr 26, 2014

by Shine
The Cold War sure didn't help post-colonial Africa. It "legitimized", funded, and armed regimes that picked a side. The regimes were/are usually tied to a single tribe or ethnic group. It's probably safe to argue that the divide-and-conquer colonialism approach made ethnic tension more violent, but really people just don't get along with dudes they don't know so you can't blame ALL of that on the White Devil.

The post-colonial hand-off didn't go too well, sometimes because of cold war interference (Nigeria for example), but mostly because the Africans weren't heavily involved in the colonial governments. When they moved in to fill the vacuum they were playing a part they didn't buy into or understand, and then things just turn into a power/wealth grab. Same thing with the military, suddenly all the professional officers are removed and the void is filled whomever (Idi Amin). Once the trends of corruption, incompetence, and coups are established they're not easily broken.

Then there's poverty, poor education, rural populations, disease, etc.

At some point though you've got to stop giving Africa a pass because they got worked over for a few centuries. You can only fight over a magical coke bottle for so long before you stop being the sympathetic character. The individual African nations need to un-gently caress themselves by themselves or it's not going to stick.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

matrocious posted:

Evil white imperialists ruined all of Africa 100 years ago so badly that the noble Africans couldn't fix their own poo poo in the following century.

gently caress you

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Because they eat albinos for their powers

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
I am a proud white American father with my perfect white Christian family. We love Jesus.

If you come anywhere near my wife or children you don't even wanna know what I'm gonna do to you.

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

Amarcarts posted:

I didn't read all of Guns Germs and Steel but at the beginning he talks about the fact that Eurasia and to a lesser extent North America lie on an east west axis, while Africa and South America lie on a more north-south axis.

This means that it was easier for domesticated species to become widespread on the east-west continents because there was a narrower range of latitudes and thus less variation in the climate, while north-south continents you had many latitudes where beneficial species couldn't survive. Then there was also just the natural evolutionary history of the continents where areas that would eventually produce white people just by chance had a better mix of species for domestication. It was not just animal species, but also food crops. Certain crops on certain continents had more complete nutritional value for sustaining large populations.

Basically it sounds like there were a bunch of little natural advantages that weren't a huge deal but that snowballed over time and then when you throw in colonialism, conquest, slavery, and war and you get what we have today.

Parasite load is huge and under-appreciated. Jared Diamond makes it out like Eurasia got all the nasty diseases and unleashed them on the Americas causing societal collapse but nothing there holds a candle to Africa. Read some accounts of the expeditions for the source of the Nile it's a litany of white people dying from crazy tropical illnesses. With that much disease it's almost impossible to gather in cities. Also constant low-level sickness / parasite infection in childhood means the body has to allocate resources to fighting disease instead of building big expensive brains.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

City of Tampa posted:

this is the honest answer to every question ever asked

why is the western world so great?

:smug:

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

nerf whitey

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

ManDingo posted:

Their lack of navigable waterways didn't allow them to participate in trade and build their economies like most other regions.

Where is the evidence that they tried building boats and navigating waterways but couldn't.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

when i finally kill myself im just going to leave a note that says :give everything to the aftrican"

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Basically we sold them snake oil that we let them extract from their own snakes themselves, but they didnt have enough money so we gave them loans to which we hold them responsible to this day.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Africa is a disease-ridden piece of crap and all smart people left it to settle elsewhere 100000 years ago.

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
When Europeans settled in other places, generally they embarked on a mass campaign of genocide against the indigenous peoples of the area. Take for example the spaniards vs the native south americans or the pilgrims that settled north america vs the native americans or the australian colonists against the aboriginals. The places where mass genocide was either not carried out or not possible are currently 3rd world poo poo holes (eg. India and Africa). The dutch settlers that founded south africa should have just embarked on a huge campaign of institutionalized genocide and slowly pushed their way up the whole length of Africa, then the place would have been a paradise, now its a muddy, war-torn, disease-ridden shithole crawling with the worst kind of savage, superstitious human shaped trash the world has ever known. #TRUTH

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

that's not really a :vince: kind of post, maybe a :thurman: at best but really more a :mmmsmug:

any dumbass who went to college has heard of that book

ive reviewed the post in question and i agree with your proposed changes thanks for having my back !

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol at all the people outing themselves as retards as well as racists with the sub saharan africans are no better than animals have no history art or culture bullshit

like i can name songhai great zimbabwe ethiopia axum timbuktu mansa musa the benin bronzes kongo off the top of my head

not that we didn't all know the rowdy dog man was a retard and a racist obv

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

matrocious posted:

decolonisation happened in the 60s you colossal loving moron

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
sorry that should be "decolonisation" because it didn't really happen

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Look I know it's popular these days to go on about how horrible the white man is and how those noble Africans were doing ok until Europeans showed up, but it's logically obvious that black Africa was already messed up or else the Europeans would not have been able to waltze in and take what they want. This does not immediately imply that blacks are of inferior intelligence, there could have been other factors.

In any case, I've always found it fascinating how the white man got on the cusp of total world domination, then got cold feet and pulled back in a wave of doubt and self disgust.

DirtyMick
Feb 1, 2014
Because of those blue-eyed devils.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Look I know it's popular these days to go on about how horrible the white man is and how those noble Africans were doing ok until Europeans showed up, but it's logically obvious that black Africa was already messed up or else the Europeans would not have been able to waltze in and take what they want. This does not immediately imply that blacks are of inferior intelligence, there could have been other factors.

In any case, I've always found it fascinating how the white man got on the cusp of total world domination, then got cold feet and pulled back in a wave of doubt and self disgust.
yeah but if the standard for hosed up is "got pwned by the white man" literally everywhere outside of europe was hosed up

also most of europe

Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Because of their low IQ's, simian-like brains, laziness, their stupidity, their complete inability to handle even the simplest tasks. Their is so much research demonstrating that Africans do not perform well on standardized tests of intelligence, college entrance exams, and in terms of academic achievement. In fact, they perform abysmally, in all regards, and so outside the norms that one must question their very humanity. Africa is almost nearly an entire continent inundated with a mass of human failures.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

XMNN posted:

yeah but if the standard for hosed up is "got pwned by the white man" literally everywhere outside of europe was hosed up

also most of europe

Well yeah of course. White supremacist don't just look down of Africans. Asians, native Americans, and clever Slavs are supposedly inferior too. Basically everyone that got wrecked by the British or French between 1700 and 1942.

It's amazing how Germans are only recently considered white. From Roman days until the 1800s they were just goddammed barbarians. White is by default the dominant advanced culture. If the Chinese manage to overtake us then they will be white too.

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 23, 2015

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
this thread is a great place for "ironic" racist

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Needs more AKs and AIDS

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What if we started dropping boxes labelled "Humanitarian AIDS" with actual super aids inside ? No one could say anything

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Tuxedo Gin posted:

if humans all came out of africa then wouldn't africa be the richest and most advanced society?

checkmate, science.

ancestors knew when to get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
colonialism, basically. its like asking why a hooker smokes meth after shes been hosed by gross guys all day

• Locked thread