Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The whole point is that you can post whatever boring rear end poo poo you want to in here except when the goon collective doesn't like it. Then all of a sudden it's not okay to post about it.

It's not that, it's just that people notice a pattern to it and have mentioned it which for some reason gets to you. Maybe mix it up a bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Backov posted:

Were you offended by his "hate speech" you delicate flower? Perhaps you can report him to his boss and try to get him fired.

...uhhhh....

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tusen Takk posted:

I have some serious poe's law on this one. Phone, what do you think?

WWTTD?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

This chat thread has gotten so bad I'm actually going to do work now.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Jesus christ what is wrong with you people, is D&D leaking or something :psyboom:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

backpedal and claim it was a joke! duh!!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tusen Takk posted:

I knew there was always a good poster in there. :unsmith:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Jesus christ what is wrong with you people, is D&D leaking or something :psyboom:

I'd be more worried about the people spamming the thread with poo poo and saying it makes it more interesting.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
EDIT: Whoops, forgot, let's not have D&D in the AI chat thread.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Buncha middle class white pansies who can't :dealwithit: ITT.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sigma X posted:

EDIT: Whoops, forgot, let's not have D&D in the AI chat thread.

Because the alternative was better.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ozmiander posted:

Buncha middle class white pansies who can't :dealwithit: ITT.

People talking about stuff really chaps my lips.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

CommieGIR posted:

Because the alternative was better.

I say, let's have as much AI chat in D&D threads as possible.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I like LF/DD posting in here because everyone in the proper channels likes to be right more than they like to admit that maybe they aren't right

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

88h88 posted:

People talking about stuff really chaps my lips.

I refuse to be insulted by someone with the most neo nazi-ish username ever.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Morning dew on my car after washing it the previous day. :argh:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ozmiander posted:

I refuse to be insulted by someone with the most neo nazi-ish username ever.

I am offended on your behalf. How dare I?!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Sigma X posted:

There's more than you'd think. Doubly so since VW is in the news.

Also, saw an article this morning saying that BMW's power plant in the X5 actually burned cleaner on the road test vs the lab test. Ayy lmao

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sigma X posted:

I think they might have a problem with that. But we should probably go and debate auto vs manual, diesel vs vortec, and/or superchargers vs turbochargers in a D&D thread at some point.

It would change just as many minds as political, religious, and sportsball arguments.

e: or maybe a motor oil recommendation thread, that's always great for getting the greybeards spun up

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Maybe you GF's dad hates you because you are a giant pussy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Are you still seriously having a go? Give it a rest mate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tusen Takk posted:

Okay, that got a good chuckle out of me.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Hey guys what's up?!

I'm postin from a power station in West Virginia, where I've been poking around a bunch all morning. I have no data out here, but rest assured there's gonna be some loving cool pictures in here once I get back tonight!

I just renewed my passion for power gen by coming here. I kept looking at screens and spreadsheets and lost the tangible part of what I'm doing. Being near all this equipment has stimulated my curiosity and I now know I need to get out to a station frequently.

Also, it's started a deluge of questions I'm asking myself. I got to a level doing research where I was running out of questions about the major systems and processes, and this morning has brought a shitload more questions to now go back and answer. It's difficult to know what you need to know without looking at the fucker.

Anyways, poo poo owns. Go renew a passion. Hope everyone's day's great!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Adiabatic posted:

Tryin every day :) Good to hear from ya. Post cool poo poo!

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
you can't post in this chilled out chat thread for bros unless you take it seriously

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Super Aggro Crag posted:

lmao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

That's awesome, and I'd love to see some data.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

blk posted:

Those of you with more cars than garage space - how do you determine which cars go in the garage? Just had a...discussion with the wife about this and am curious how other people do it.
Cars go in the garage based on value and how pissed off I would be if anything happened to them, motorcycles fill in the gaps. Yet somehow the hail damaged E21 worth maybe 2k is in there while the 928 and VW sit outside. Everyone else can park outside, have priced out car ports a few times to keep the outside cars a little cleaner. Still going back and forth about putting in a lift or just building a second garage...

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm going to an advance screening on the 5th, and I'm so goddamn hyped about it.
I'm reading it again on this trip. Just as good the second time around.

kastein posted:

I think they might have a problem with that. But we should probably go and debate auto vs manual, diesel vs vortec, and/or superchargers vs turbochargers in a D&D thread at some point.

e: or maybe a motor oil recommendation thread, that's always great for getting the greybeards spun up
That could be entertaining to watch, I'd go with the oil recommendations.

Adiabatic posted:

I'm postin from a power station in West Virginia, where I've been poking around a bunch all morning. I have no data out here, but rest assured there's gonna be some loving cool pictures in here once I get back tonight!

:hfive:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Looks like I missed last nights poo poo-fest which I'm cool with. Unfortunately I was working on my own poo poo fest which is trying to figure out "mathematics for elementary teachers: a contemporary approach." I took this class because I was thinking "Cool, I'll just take this 120 level course to fulfill my last elective requirement since It's the final class I need to graduate. It should be the easiest thing ever since my previous major had me going to trig 2 and this is how to teach match to k-6th graders." What I found is a hell pit of bullshit and despair, it took me 2 1/2 hours to do 30 questions last night. Common core is the coolestest!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Lightbulb Out posted:

The only problem is the democrats.
Nope. Both parties are poo poo on some stuff. I poo poo on democrats more than repubs because my "most important issue" I agree with the repubs on, but both have major parties have issues in my opinion.
But just throwing (other people's) money at a problem doesn't necessarily solve the problem, and can often create different problems (e.g. you can't attend college without being independently wealthy or taking a shitload of loans now, whereas our parents could work through school and come out without much/any loans).

now back to our regularly scheduled AI chat thread content.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

But just throwing (other people's) money at a problem doesn't necessarily solve the problem, and can often create different problems (e.g. you can't attend college without being independently wealthy or taking a shitload of loans now, whereas our parents could work through school and come out without much/any loans).

:stare: You DO realize that is the path we're on. Right now. Thanks Republicans. Cutting school funding and destroying Public Education, while raising costs of tuition for in state colleges has been primarily a Republican thing for...what, nearly a decade now.

Enlighten me, what DO you agree with the Republicans on?

Wisconsin, Louisiana, Georgia, Kansas, there are all GOP controlled states and they've obliterated Public School funding while creating Budgetary problems that make an actual train wreck look like a garden party. These are the same fuckers that go on and on about how our Federal Budget is like a 'Household budget' and then, unironically, cut any possible Tax income and then point and say "Look how broken the Government is! Look at their spending woes that we were directly the cause of and continue to ruin"

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 23, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ilkhan posted:

Nope. Both parties are poo poo on some stuff. I poo poo on democrats more than repubs because my "most important issue" I agree with the repubs on, but both have major parties have issues in my opinion.

now back to our regularly scheduled AI chat thread content.

Whats your pet issue? Android flagship phones not having enough cores?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

god dammit i hate it when i command-Q to quote then realize what I've done as safari closes

CommieGIR posted:

:stare: You DO realize that is the path we're on. Right now. Thanks Republicans.

Enlighten me, what DO you agree with the Republicans on?

Same :allears:

Also please nobody freak out about politics being discussed in the chat thread, it's okay (unless IOC says otherwise, natch). I'd rather chat with you guys about it over D&D or what have you

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
OH poo poo I thought the work computer blocked USB data transfer but hey I was wrong, so enjoy these cool pics of a generic coal power station with no affiliation to any one company in particular:

Parallel coal mills/pulverizers:

There's 15 of them in a row.

Pretty bad steam leak out of a pump seal:

It's a smaller pump (like only the size of my torso) for an aux system so they're running anyways.

Giant 3 story condenser:

This big guy sits under the low pressure turbine and condenses the steam back into water via cooling water from the lake.

1st extraction feedwater heater:

This guy extracts steam from the turbines and uses it to heat the water before it comes into the boiler, via shell/tube heat exchangers. Think a giant circular radiator. There's 6 of these. Per boiler Three boilers here.

That valve hand wheel is about 6 ft in diameter, by the way.

Shot of the outside of one of the units:

The corrugated 12 story metal building to the right is the boiler. Everything you see outside here is emissions equipment working the boiler exhaust. It actually draws a lot of parallels to car exhaust emissions, interestingly enough.

Here's the inside shot of those ducts, as they come off the boiler and go out to the stack:

Forced draft fans:

8 of these per boiler, and they're huge. Not only that, there's another 8 on the exhaust side. Using the FD fans to push fresh air into the boiler, and using the Induced Draft (ID) fans on the exhaust, they can adjust the pressure in the boiler to very slightly below barometric.

More to come from my afternoon jaunt. The turbine room is insane. INSANE.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I wish they'd let me have a camera in our reactor unit when I go there...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Would you say that it's critical that they don't let you?

Eh? Eh!?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phone posted:

Would you say that it's critical that they don't let you?

Eh? Eh!?

:smuggo: Yes, its very critical.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Adiabatic posted:

OH poo poo I thought the work computer blocked USB data transfer but hey I was wrong, so enjoy these cool pics of a generic coal power station with no affiliation to any one company in particular:

Parallel coal mills/pulverizers:

There's 15 of them in a row.

Pretty bad steam leak out of a pump seal:

It's a smaller pump (like only the size of my torso) for an aux system so they're running anyways.

Giant 3 story condenser:

This big guy sits under the low pressure turbine and condenses the steam back into water via cooling water from the lake.

1st extraction feedwater heater:

This guy extracts steam from the turbines and uses it to heat the water before it comes into the boiler, via shell/tube heat exchangers. Think a giant circular radiator. There's 6 of these. Per boiler Three boilers here.

That valve hand wheel is about 6 ft in diameter, by the way.

Shot of the outside of one of the units:

The corrugated 12 story metal building to the right is the boiler. Everything you see outside here is emissions equipment working the boiler exhaust. It actually draws a lot of parallels to car exhaust emissions, interestingly enough.

Here's the inside shot of those ducts, as they come off the boiler and go out to the stack:

Forced draft fans:

8 of these per boiler, and they're huge. Not only that, there's another 8 on the exhaust side. Using the FD fans to push fresh air into the boiler, and using the Induced Draft (ID) fans on the exhaust, they can adjust the pressure in the boiler to very slightly below barometric.

More to come from my afternoon jaunt. The turbine room is insane. INSANE.

Best post in this thread in days, can't wait to see more. I love walking around massive industrial complexes like that.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
:boom:

Got the job! Instant $12k/year raise, half the commute, I can even take the bus and do some major work on the jalopy. More importantly, I can start paying off the 3 credit cards I maxed-out working at my old job :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

CommieGIR posted:

:smuggo: Yes, its very critical.

Are they really going to have a meltdown if you do? Wouldn't that be kind of an overreaction?

• Locked thread