Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Look at all those navigation hazards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

You mean to tell me you need big rear end open fields and stuff to put wind turbines in?!

We almost got it in the northeast, offshore, but a bunch of loving hypocritical politicians went full NIMBY because they didn't want to look at wind turbines from their posh multimillion dollar retreats on MAHHHHTHAS VINYAAAAAAHD.

My home town in upstate new york is lousy with them.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MrChips posted:

I don't understand that sentiment one bit; I personally think wind turbines look cool as heck and are very relaxing to look at as they turn.

Yeah I love seeing them off in the distance, even better to know they're busy doing something good.

I've always wanted to go have a picnic in a field full of them, they're so ridiculously big I think it'd be a bit surreal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

You mean to tell me you need big rear end open fields and stuff to put wind turbines in?!

We almost got it in the northeast, offshore, but a bunch of loving hypocritical politicians went full NIMBY because they didn't want to look at wind turbines from their posh multimillion dollar retreats on MAHHHHTHAS VINYAAAAAAHD.

No, in that its not going to offset the grid use as much as an actual fueled plant will

I suggest you go read the Power Generation megathread in D&D for more info. Either way, wind and solar are great offsets, but they are not going to be replacing coal or gas anytime soon, which is why nuclear is our best bet.

For example, based on a 1MW production value per turbine seen there, you have a whole 89 MW on a PERFECT day.

A single nuclear reactor can do 1,000 MW every single day, day in, day out. You gotta think actual system demand. You are not even offsetting a SINGLE coal plant with both of those arrays.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 24, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fart Pipe posted:

My little brother is a nuke on the Eisenhower and they just replaced the reactors and had to take it out for a test ride. They were doing hard turns at 34 knots to make sure the hull where they had to cut the holes was sound. I had no idea a ship that big could go that fast, goddamn.

Ha. That was my first ship.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Are Koni orange shocks complete trash compared to yellow? Trying to put together a budget set of decent shocks/springs for my civic and the amount of options and conflicting information is staggering.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Its legit, but its footprint is hilariously huge. It'll never go full grid outside of the plains states.

There's a cluster of them near oak ridge, tn sitting on top of a mountain and Hawaii has a bunch of them on the big island. They're big but the USA has a lot of otherwise useless space.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Great Beer posted:

There's a cluster of them near oak ridge, tn sitting on top of a mountain and Hawaii has a bunch of them on the big island. They're big but the USA has a lot of otherwise useless space.

Hawaii still has a bad addiction to Coal and Gas that Wind and Solar is going to have a hard time shaking. 85% of their sources of energy consist of just those two. They have a plan to get off it by 2030.

And considering a massive part of their plan is to switch to Biomass, which is still largely just burning crap like coal, its not even close.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Hawaii still has a bad addiction to Coal and Gas that Wind and Solar is going to have a hard time shaking. 85% of their sources of energy consist of just those two. They have a plan to get off it by 2030.

And considering a massive part of their plan is to switch to Biomass, which is still largely just burning crap like coal, its not even close.

Hawaii is the absolute last place I'd expect to use fossil fuels. Whatever happened to geothermal?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

They stopped trying to do backup power for our stuff a long time ago, just too much drat power. Some of the file system type stuff is dual feed power, they may use flywheels but I'm not sure.

There's still some custom projects for special customers but it's mostly a case of how big can you afford to go. There's some things that can still be tweaked depending on the specific needs of the customer but more and more it's becoming that everyone gets the same basic system then we adjust cpu/memory/gpu as needed for their application. The XT/XE/XK line are all the same cabinet more or less with different compute blades and interconnects. Same with the various XC systems we're shipping now.

Then there's the new Cray Cluster Solutions stuff, there's way more customization with those. Various rack sizes, blade sizes and compute densities as well as cpu/gpu combos depending on what they plan to do. Everything from blades that are mostly memory to blades that are packed full of GPUs.

Needs more lube

We hide that poo poo in the back or in disk racks off to the side that are never photographed or shown to tours.

We don't give tours. :) That and it's more important that we be able to easily trace and replace a connection than make it look pretty. It's all cable managed nicely, but all out in the open.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Our data center is just row after row of boring plain black cabinets.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Friar Zucchini posted:

Hawaii is the absolute last place I'd expect to use fossil fuels. Whatever happened to geothermal?

2% of their production.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I just want to point out the ilkhan was literally tilting at windmills.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

The Locator posted:

Our data center is just row after row of boring plain black cabinets.

Add more 0's, you poors.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

MrChips posted:

I don't understand that sentiment one bit; I personally think wind turbines look cool as heck and are very relaxing to look at as they turn.
Same. There's one that overlooks my favorite junkyard and I really do like looking at it spin. Hell, I'd gladly let someone build one on my property as long as I got to hang a couple ham radio antennae on the top of the generator unit.

CommieGIR posted:

No, in that its not going to offset the grid use as much as an actual fueled plant will

I suggest you go read the Power Generation megathread in D&D for more info. Either way, wind and solar are great offsets, but they are not going to be replacing coal or gas anytime soon, which is why nuclear is our best bet.

For example, based on a 1MW production value per turbine seen there, you have a whole 89 MW on a PERFECT day.

A single nuclear reactor can do 1,000 MW every single day, day in, day out. You gotta think actual system demand. You are not even offsetting a SINGLE coal plant with both of those arrays.

FWIW I agree with you, I have zero problem with nuclear, fission or fusion. I just take issue with the statement that it's only possible in the plains :P

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

FWIW I agree with you, I have zero problem with nuclear, fission or fusion. I just take issue with the statement that it's only possible in the plains :P

True, they are possible elsewhere, but the plains have the sort of constant wind source that they really need to take full advantage of them, that's all I really meant.

That and if you ever pass one of them, you'll notice that, more often than not, half of them are not in use.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You're sorely mistaken, CommieGIR. Do you know how many blowhards the eastern seaboard has?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phone posted:

You're sorely mistaken, CommieGIR. Do you know how many blowhards the eastern seaboard has?

Our wet fart reserve is fairly high right now.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Fart Pipe posted:

My little brother is a nuke on the Eisenhower and they just replaced the reactors and had to take it out for a test ride. They were doing hard turns at 34 knots to make sure the hull where they had to cut the holes was sound. I had no idea a ship that big could go that fast, goddamn.

Dude, you can't talk about it and not post the video

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MrChips posted:

I'd love to have a big chunk of land full of turbines. They're almost spooky up close (standing at the base close) but I love seeing them when I'm driving across the country.

Great Beer posted:

Windrock, I ride crash dirt bikes there. You used to be able to ride right up to them but people are stupid so...

keykey posted:

Add more 0's, you poors.
:golfclap:

Yay conference calls all day :suicide:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's about 100 wind turbines right over the border in Ohio and the land and farm owners in Indiana are locked in a legal battle trying to get them torn down because among other things "it interferes with crop growth!" or some bullshit hick nonsense.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

88h88 posted:

Yeah I love seeing them off in the distance, even better to know they're busy doing something good.

I've always wanted to go have a picnic in a field full of them, they're so ridiculously big I think it'd be a bit surreal.

I also like seeing wind turbines. I think a countryside or coastal view which includes some turbines is as good as one that doesn't.

They are indeed loving massive and almost a bit intimidating and scary due to their size when you get up close. There are loads that are on footpaths that you can walk around. You should go and do it!

I have walked round these ones in the lake district. You can see how big they are from the massive shadows in google maps.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Indiana:
The state where farmers were so pissed about daylight savings time that it's still observed in some counties and not in others, because they thought it would cost them an hour of daylight in the mornings.
The state where the legislature legally defined Pi as 4 because they didn't like irrational numbers.
The state where people think wind turbines affect crop growth.

Truly the Florida of the midwest.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

No body here minded when they got big rear end checks from the builders.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I had to drive a range rover worth more than my house out of our building because work rules say non-employees can't drive indoors.
I'm currently bricking it hoping that I worked out how the parking brake worked and overnight it won't roll down the slope and smashed into something.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
In the Coachella valley we have a couple turbines...

Of course, Palm Springs is considered ruined by the noted style winner Donald Trump

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

I agree, and I support that approach. But remember kids, wind power is good, and nuclear power is a disaster waiting to happen that will give your children three heads.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

PaintVagrant posted:

Are Koni orange shocks complete trash compared to yellow? Trying to put together a budget set of decent shocks/springs for my civic and the amount of options and conflicting information is staggering.

I think they are meant to be fairly similar to stock. Possibly a little more damping force across the range so you can put a bit more spring on them. I'd say those or yellows or bilstein HDs if available. How much are you trying to spend and what year is it?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

jamal posted:

I think they are meant to be fairly similar to stock. Possibly a little more damping force across the range so you can put a bit more spring on them. I'd say those or yellows or bilstein HDs if available. How much are you trying to spend and what year is it?

8th gen fa5 (07 si sedan). Budget is in the 600-800 ballpark I guess. Trying to get a little drop, maybe 1.5" just to fill the wheel arch gap a bit, and improve handling. Car has 135k on it and the stock suspension is pretty tired. I'm not against going coilover but budget options seem to vary wildly in quality.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
If you ever find yourself in Judith Gap Montana, they have a wind turbine blade that didn't pass QC so it's now sitting in the middle of town for you to awe in its hugeness.

Good milkshakes too.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

8th gen fa5 (07 si sedan). Budget is in the 600-800 ballpark I guess. Trying to get a little drop, maybe 1.5" just to fill the wheel arch gap a bit, and improve handling. Car has 135k on it and the stock suspension is pretty tired. I'm not against going coilover but budget options seem to vary wildly in quality.

Koni FSDs are supposed to provide great bang for the buck if they are available for your application. I think LloydDobler has them on one of his menagerie of Volvos.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

StormDrain posted:

If you ever find yourself in Judith Gap Montana, they have a wind turbine blade that didn't pass QC so it's now sitting in the middle of town for you to awe in its hugeness.

Good milkshakes too.

That's cool. Though if one isn't otherwise involved in either wind power or ranching, there is zero reason to ever find oneself in Judith Gap. It's not even really between two otherwise interesting places.

Besides, if you're going for tiny Montana towns, you can get excellent milkshakes or, my favorite, a cherry phosphate in Philipsburg.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

All the bad posting in this thread has killed the forums. Good job guys! :thumbsup:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

El Jebus posted:

In the Coachella valley we have a couple turbines...

Of course, Palm Springs is considered ruined by the noted style winner Donald Trump

Honestly, those are one of my favorite things about the otherwise-boring-as-gently caress drive between Phoenix and LA.

bandman posted:

Koni FSDs are supposed to provide great bang for the buck if they are available for your application. I think LloydDobler has them on one of his menagerie of Volvos.

I had them on my Mazdaspeed3, liked them a lot.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Nice! I didnt know there was a video of it. I got the info from my old man after he talked to my brother on the phone. So cool that hes part of that, shoveling coal or doing huge math problems or whatever it is he does to be a part of that.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Geoj posted:

Anymore its as much for technical accomplishment as anything else, distributed computing has largely eclipsed individual supercomputing (and FWIW most new "supercomputers" are largely just a distributed computing setup with everything in the same datacenter.) I'm sure there's some things that need a shitload of raw processing power and can't be split up into smaller pieces of data to be processed by someone's home PC's spare CPU cycles or offloaded onto multiple purpose-built machines, but the need for a single god-tier supercomputer isn't nearly what it was 15-20 years ago.

This is impressive in how assured yet absolutely wrong you are.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Honestly, those are one of my favorite things about the otherwise-boring-as-gently caress drive between Phoenix and LA.

Bunch of them just before you head up the hill (to Jacumba) on the way to San Diego now too. You can see those fuckers all the way from El Centro.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Is it just me, or are the forums running like a bag of smashed assholes?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Is it just me, or are the forums running like a bag of smashed assholes?

They are... apparently Reddit etc. are mass-archiving threads while the paywall is down because SA is full of pedos or something? Somehow tied into the Gamergate bullshit/some crap I don't keep track of? It's weird but it's essentially DDOSing the decrepit SA servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

jamal posted:

Bilstein HDs are honestly the best bang for your buck. I went from concussions being a legitimate concerns in TSD rallies at 30mph to running over washboard gravel roads through corners at 50mph no issue.

• Locked thread