Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

quote:

I replayed the Azure Sheep mod for Half-Life 1 to see if it was as good as a remembered.

It's actually kinda bad.
Oh god yeah, it's depressing.

I remember waiting anxiously for the PC Gamer with the copy of Azure Sheep on it's disc, and then discovering it was missing a vital file after the fact.

I loved that loving mod when I was a teenager, loved it to bits - but as I replayed it over the years the love faded gradually but surely until the last time I played it and made it a point to keep track of the corridors.

I took this screenshot of a typical corridor which should serve CR's post quite well:

The loading screen happens at that very last corner. The ENTIRE rest of that thing is completely useless. The same thing could of been accomplished with a simple airlock.

It did have some neat ideas, gaining the HEV suit half way through the mod with proper arm graphics and stuff to go with it was a really neat idea that I wish more mods did. Kate was like a really early version of Alyx, but she didn't have any real dialogue or purpose (and let's not get started on how loving awful HL1 companions can be at following you - Heart of Evil is one of my favourite mods but it was awful for this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
If you want a quick summary of Azure Sheep, look at these two images:

Because those two are at least 50% of the mod.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
Personally, as bad as all that was, the thing that bothered me the most about Azure Sheep was that the generic female security guards are called Barniel. They could have gone with Bernice, Beatrice, Bernadette, you know... actual names that people have in real life. They could have gone with Thelma, to continue the original reference with Barney's name, or Betty, to create a new reference. But no, they just made some poo poo up.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Well, a 21 year old game almost made me poo poo my pants.

W-W-WELCOME TO MY DEATH MACHINE, INTERLOPER!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Well, a 21 year old game almost made me poo poo my pants.

W-W-WELCOME TO MY DEATH MACHINE, INTERLOPER!

Good, isn't it? :)

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007
It won't be the last time that you'll jump in your seat, either. The developers did a fantastic job of making it seem like a malign intellect is in total control and always one step ahead of you. Really makes the SHODAN of System Shock 1 seem more frightening and formidable than the SHODAN of the sequel.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

There's also a funny callback in 2 when she tries the same thing with almost exactly the same line, and manages to summon the weakest enemy in the game. :v:

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I'm fairly certain that if you take your time and explore your surroundings on that level in SS1 there is a way to disable that trap.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Anyone have $3500 USD burning a hole in their pocket? How about a lantern?

Own your own Cacolantern!

That thing is creepy and amazing. I'll stick with my plush Caco, thank you very much.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

bbcisdabomb posted:

Anyone have $3500 USD burning a hole in their pocket? How about a lantern?

Own your own Cacolantern!

That thing is creepy and amazing. I'll stick with my plush Caco, thank you very much.

If I had ridiculous disposable income, you bet your rear end I'd buy that. Also, whud up plush Caco buddy :hfive:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

He even modeled the uh... Rear features.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
So how do cacodemons mate? Are there male cacodemons?

Are pain elementals simply matured lost souls?

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Every cacodemon is born with 3-6 already fertilized eggs that they lay over the course of their lifetimes. Baby cacodemons hatch from the eggs by learning how to hover and then smashing themselves into walls until the egg breaks.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
System Shock veterans: how the frickle frack do I get the isotope from level 2 so I can power up the shields around the laser? The audio logs talk about grabbing an envirosuit, but the totally lovely rear end vague as gently caress guides people have written say it's on level 7, which is somewhere I can't even remotely get to at the moment.

I feel like Hal from Malcom in the Middle.

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

i played system shock for the first time yesterday, so i'm not an expert. i just walked into the room with the isotope, walked around the back side of the force field, pressed the switch, the force field came down, and i picked it up. this is with all the difficulty settings at 2. A bunch of logs around the area complained about radioactivity in the area, but if you've enabled the regeneration station i can't see why that would be a problem...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

System Shock veterans: how the frickle frack do I get the isotope from level 2 so I can power up the shields around the laser? The audio logs talk about grabbing an envirosuit, but the totally lovely rear end vague as gently caress guides people have written say it's on level 7, which is somewhere I can't even remotely get to at the moment.

What's funny about this to me is that Walter White pretty much did the same sort of thing with his water heater/floorboards or something.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Segmentation Fault posted:

Yes, cockodemons:

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Suck it up. Quickly run in to the room with the isotope on level 2. You can remove the radiation using a detox hypo. You won't suffer from radiation while carrying the isotope.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Project Brutality remains pretty freaking dope, and very well balanced for a mod that accepts suggestions from a moddb page.

I'm thinking about dropping a few suggestions of my own, including some more pump shotgun shell types. Maybe an EMP or tesla shell type that fucks with cyber type enemies and screws up their attacks in some manner? (Stuns are bullshit and can be abused.)

Also Chinese Tony Danza is Comic Book Doomguy. :stare:

And asking him to remove that stupid SMG and have the spec ops guys drop a kit that upgrades your starting pistol into an uzi or auto glock instead.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Segmentation Fault posted:

Are pain elementals simply matured lost souls?

A pain elemental and a Cacodemon float back to back, rotate forwards, and do a "cloacal kiss" like birds.

...I'll get my coat.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I also have hopped onto the System Shock train as of last night. Spent several hours clearing Level 1.

I'm beginning to understand why people said the music wasn't that good. It sounds pretty great listening to it on its own, but due to the iMUSE-ish way it plays the music in-game, I end up listening to the square wave opening of the music the entire time with it almost never playing the cool guitar part (apparently that's saved for combat).

Also, man, enemies respawning whenever I go wandering for a little while isn't paranoia-inducing at all, nope. (At least it's just the low-level mutants. For now.)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Back when I played SS1 I got hopelessly stuck at some point. I think there were only a few decks I hadn't visited but I had no idea how to unlock them. I remember endlessly walking around on a really dark deck filled with some kind of flying stealth manta rays and like zero resources. I had some kind of laser sword with unlimited ammo but they were still chipping away my health in every encounter.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Well, this is odd news: The writers of thoughtful and wordy games like The Sea Will Claim Everything and The Talos Principle are confirmed to be writing Serious Sam 4, which barring a serious chance in mood is likely to be neither thoughtful nor wordy. They've worked with Croteam in the past, so clearly they know what they're up against, but it'll be interesting to see how they adjust to the different attitude.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

If I had ridiculous disposable income, you bet your rear end I'd buy that. Also, whud up plush Caco buddy :hfive:

Oh, hey buddy

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

The Kins posted:

Well, this is odd news: The writers of thoughtful and wordy games like The Sea Will Claim Everything and The Talos Principle are confirmed to be writing Serious Sam 4, which barring a serious chance in mood is likely to be neither thoughtful nor wordy. They've worked with Croteam in the past, so clearly they know what they're up against, but it'll be interesting to see how they adjust to the different attitude.

I wish Croteam would do the writing again. Vanilla Serious Sam 3, which was done by a third pary, was way less funny than the DLC, which was done by Croteam.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

My understanding is that the ending for Serious Sam 3 was also uncharacteristically dark. Something like the entire Earth getting blown up by a collision from the Moon shortly after Sam enters the time portal, meaning he isn't just a goofy "mankind's last hope for survival" pastiche, he's literally the only human left alive. Kind of excessive, if you ask me, and not even in the goofy sense of excess the series otherwise revels in.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Croteam is a weird developer. They vanish for years without so much as a peep, then come back as if nothing happened.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Shadow Hog posted:

My understanding is that the ending for Serious Sam 3 was also uncharacteristically dark. Something like the entire Earth getting blown up by a collision from the Moon shortly after Sam enters the time portal, meaning he isn't just a goofy "mankind's last hope for survival" pastiche, he's literally the only human left alive. Kind of excessive, if you ask me, and not even in the goofy sense of excess the series otherwise revels in.

That reminds me of the original ending to Army of Darkness which was canned for being too depressing.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Guillermus posted:

Oh, hey buddy

Hol-lee hell I'm getting that plush marine too. Why isn't there a complete plush doom beastiary?

Sonic and System Shock take place in the same reality!? :monocle:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wamdoodle posted:

Sonic and System Shock take place in the same reality!? :monocle:

"Look at you, hedgehog, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors..."

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Geight posted:

That reminds me of the original ending to Army of Darkness which was canned for being too depressing.

Weird, it's the only one available on my DVD of it. I much prefer the ridiculous EZ-Mart ending though.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Convex posted:

Weird, it's the only one available on my DVD of it. I much prefer the ridiculous EZ-Mart ending though.

That is weird. The DVD I have has the EZ-Mart ending normally, and the Apocalypse ending as a special feature. Is yours a UK version or something?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm running GZDoom (I can't quite remmeber which version) on my work PC, and when I look up or down, it no longer gives me true up or down, it's the fake, 'Duke-like' up and down, where the perspective gets all weird. Any idea how I can fix this?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm running GZDoom (I can't quite remmeber which version) on my work PC, and when I look up or down, it no longer gives me true up or down, it's the fake, 'Duke-like' up and down, where the perspective gets all weird. Any idea how I can fix this?

Make sure you're using the openGL renderer to avoid y-shearing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Make sure you're using the openGL renderer to avoid y-shearing.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey, so just a heads-up, if you happen to be rocking two monitors, and the left one (whether it's your main display or not) is listed as monitor #1, and you have it set up as Portrait, GZDoom will refuse to acknowledge the other monitor, and will consistently gently caress up the resolutions for you, so the game is constantly taller rather that wider.

What I think fixed this for me was opening up the ini file (something like zdoom-<your username>.ini), and changing the value of "vid_renderer" to "2" rather than "1". If you had 3 monitors, and wanted the game to only pay attention to monitor 3, then you'd switch that out for "3".

Just something I thought would help. I have my left monitor set to portrait for work, and I have been trying to play Doom at work. Otherwise, I wouldn't be bothering.

Thank you! I guess long ago, when I was trying to figure out my initial problem, I did mean to change vid_adapter in the .ini file, rather than renderer. Yeah, it was running in software mode. All good now, and now on my proper screen! :toot:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Geight posted:

That is weird. The DVD I have has the EZ-Mart ending normally, and the Apocalypse ending as a special feature. Is yours a UK version or something?

Yeah, this one. At least it has the 4:3 version of the first movie I guess.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

haveblue posted:

"Look at you, hedgehog, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors..."

Jumping on SHODAN eight times kills it

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Guillermus posted:

Oh, hey buddy

The way the spines look on those books weirds me out, is that normal in non-English books? I have a couple Cinebook Melusine collections and they have similar spines and it weirds me out there too. Also, I adore the fact that you have Shadows over Baker Street.

And of course your plush Doomguy and monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Just destroyed the mining laser in SS1. If the game ended right here, I'd faint because of how loving awesome the experience was. BUT I STILL HAVE TH REST OF THE GAME TO GO :psyduck: Incredible. This game is a miracle. Why don't they make immersive sims anymore? :argh: I feel like parts of the genre got absorbed into others, like Watch_Dogs (:rolleyes:) but...it's not the same.