Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Alpha, Beta, Omega... and what'd Troughton name the fourth? :v:

The Doctor named them, like Rusty in Into the Dalek - the Cult of Skaro named themselves. :colbert:

But true, I did forget all about Evil of the Daleks....

....because it's one of the missing stories :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The missing stories sleep in your mind, and you forget?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Wheat Loaf posted:

I enjoyed that episode a lot. It was fun.

I have wonder how many times Moffat watched Return of the Jedi before he wrote it, though.

No kidding, Davros was channeling the Emperor so much, I was half expecting him to shoot lightning out of his hand.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Vader, surely, for the "see you with my own eyes" bit.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
As engaging as the Doctor/Davros stuff was, I was hoping for a little more cackling evil Davros, because Julian Bleach is so good at that.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I really loving hate the whole "play Missy as Robin Williams/Jim Carrey and do hyperactive wacky voices every other line" thing.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Everything after the double-cross was terrible imo. It just turned from a unique story where the big bad isn't 100% evil, and actually humanized and made interesting, casting doubts on whether the Doctor is justified in vilifying and "other"ing an entire race because their goals conflict with his. Then they have to go and ruin it all with a gotcha and return to the status quo, even the tiniest glimmer of mercy was a gift from jesus the doctor, the perfect being who is always morally right and will always fight the same bad guys forever.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
To be honest, I wasn't surprised at all when Davros tricked the Doctor into powering up the Daleks, if anything I was expecting it to have happened earlier, its Davros after all, he's say and do anything just to get the slightest edge, he'll never change.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

thespaceinvader posted:

I repeat. The daleks CAN FLY. Indeed, when the plan all came together and DAVROS WAS VICTORIOUS most of them WERE loving FLYING. Again, how is squishy organic stuff coming up out of the sewers remotely a problem when you can hover a foot off the ground, let alone go literally into space?
In Dr. Who cannon, daleks's flight ability is powered by a substance known as "Seegeeeyeboojet", unfortunately the snakes were using up too much to allow them to fly.

Judge Tesla posted:

To be honest, I wasn't surprised at all when Davros tricked the Doctor into powering up the Daleks, if anything I was expecting it to have happened earlier, its Davros after all, he's say and do anything just to get the slightest edge, he'll never change.

I wasn't surprised, I was disappointed. The episode had a lot of potential to be really interesting and game-changing in a non-distruptive way, with a bit of breaking out of "almighty good guys vs the evil bad hate race" loop, but they pussied out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also before he began the whole act, there's a scene of him telling Colony Sarff to sneak into the cables and "be subtle", followed by lengthy sequences of Davros trying to convince the Doctor to start handling the cables (including a shot of Sarff as a cable basically going :getin:), so it's not like it wasn't telegraphed from the get-go that Davros was up to something. He just adjusted his pitch each time the Doctor rejected it - "touch the cables to kill all the Daleks! ....no? You choose compassion every time? Oh oh suddenly I'm sad and pathetic and just want some compassion, oh if only there was some way maybe involving touching those cables that could allow me one brief moment of happiness!"

Of course the whole time the Doctor was being compassionate he'd allowed for the extremely likely notion that Davros intended to screw him over, the difference being that I think his compassion was genuine and he was hoping (but not expecting) that Davros was being genuine too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Vader, surely, for the "see you with my own eyes" bit.

Yeah, I kept expecting Davros to gasp out, "Now go, my son..."

The villainous grandstanding at the end was definitely a bit Palpatine, but I think it may have been somewhat more ROTS Palpatine than ROTJ Palpatine.

Actually, one thing that the Doctor and Davros's interactions for most of the episode sort of put me in mind of was (and I acknowledge this probably a bit fanciful on my part) Londo and G'Kar circa seasons two and three of B5.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

slightly better than last week, still bad. come on DW, you can do better than this.
Capaldi, Coleman and Gomez do a great job with what they're given though.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Also before he began the whole act, there's a scene of him telling Colony Sarff to sneak into the cables and "be subtle", followed by lengthy sequences of Davros trying to convince the Doctor to start handling the cables (including a shot of Sarff as a cable basically going :getin:), so it's not like it wasn't telegraphed from the get-go that Davros was up to something. He just adjusted his pitch each time the Doctor rejected it - "touch the cables to kill all the Daleks! ....no? You choose compassion every time? Oh oh suddenly I'm sad and pathetic and just want some compassion, oh if only there was some way maybe involving touching those cables that could allow me one brief moment of happiness!"

Of course the whole time the Doctor was being compassionate he'd allowed for the extremely likely notion that Davros intended to screw him over, the difference being that I think his compassion was genuine and he was hoping (but not expecting) that Davros was being genuine too.

Yeah yeah, the problem isn't that the lovely twist wasn't obvious enough, the point is that the lovely twist was lovely.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I enjoyed the episode. I enjoy watching Doctor Who on a regular basis and will continue doing so. Praise Moffat.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Just for a contrast to everyone else, I'd like to say that The Witch's Familiar is probably one of my favourite Doctor Who stories now. Top 20, at least. The direction was fantastic.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thanks to this episode I now want my own electric motorized Davros chair (without snakes). :corsair:

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Being in that chair looked like the most fun Peter Capaldi has ever had and I was pretty jealous of him.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Let's look at a really good bit with Davros and the Doctor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkelV2WUNdw

Also, we can't forget the amazing performance of Terry Molloy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9NttGB9oOw

Kikka fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 26, 2015

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

It's nice to enjoy two episodes in a row. I was expecting the worst, even after liking part one auite a bit. I think I have become a bitter nerd by accident.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jerusalem posted:

This was the other thing that bugged me -

:zombie: "Doctor, I'm too weak to open my eyes!"
:science: Wiggles fingers a bit, clearly gearing himself up for something.
Me: Assumes he's psyching himself up to... you know, touch a hated enemy, and reach over and gently open his eyes to the sunrise.
:eng101: Instead of doing clear, simple solution, throws self into obvious trap.

I mean, I assume that Davros would have had a way to cope if the Doctor had done what he obviously should have, but it felt really stupid for him to do what he actually did.

Also, why not just stuff him in the energy draining machine whilst he was unconscious? The initial gambit made it pretty obvious that it would have worked just for him to touch it, it didn't seem to specifically require regen energy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Guys, that was bad. Really, really bad. Once again, the only decent parts were 12 and Davros, but even then the same tired "enemy potentially has a change of heart only to be revealed as a clever ruse" poo poo is trotted out. If Davros had been sincere and actually, say, regretted creating the Daleks and helped the Doctor destroy or cripple them, it would have been a much more interesting story.

And loving sonic shades? Really? :rolleyes:

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Guitar solos, Sonic sunglasses and dad jokes.

12th doctor is the best doctor.
:getin:

Looks like it's about 50/50 split of goons who hated the episode or liked it. That's basically every new who episode ever.

I liked the first two a lot now that I saw part 2, I was on the fence last week.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I actually missed Davros telling snakeman to get in the cables and it was still really obvious that they were snakes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Witch's Familiar gifs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't seen too much of the old Who, so how often have non-Daleks been inside Dalek tanks? One episode I know off was the very very very first Daleks story with the First Doctor, when a Dalek was pulled out and shown to have a claw, and then Ian just popped in and rode around in that thing because there was no telepathic system or anything else inside there.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's that, there's also the Hartnel gif which I'm sure Jerusalem is itching to post.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I think the characterization between the Master and Clara could of been a bit better. The Master killed the man she loved and she doesn't even really take a shot the Master. Too much pacifism BS for me. I think the companion would be COMPLETELY justified in killing the Master or at least making an attempt.

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 27, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think the characterization between the Master and Clara could of been a bit better. The Master killed the man she loved and she doesn't even really take a shot the Master. Too much pacifism BS for me. I think the companion would be COMPLETELY justified in killing the Master or at least making an attempt.

I would have preferred if they had played up the idea that Clara was enjoying herself in spite of her (completely justified) reservations, since the Master was basically playing the part of the Doctor, albeit from a far darker perspective, and she couldn't help but enjoy the adrenaline and being challenged intellectually.

As it was, the way she just seems to casually enjoy hanging out with the Master rubbed me the wrong way, and the closest they got to her expressing the way she probably should have been feeling was when she threatened her with a stick and got it taken away from her. It is a shame, because they had really good chemistry and I would have liked to have seen her getting a bit freaked out by that, struggling with the fact that she was enjoying herself in spite of knowing the Master can't be trusted (as the Master kept proving!) and that she's a monster, responsible for the deaths of a huge number of people including Danny.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mooseontheloose posted:

To be fair, Missy didn't kill Danny. A car did. Missy did torture his corpse, though. :shrug:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

jng2058 posted:

To be fair, Missy didn't kill Danny. A car did. Missy did torture his corpse, though. :shrug:

Yeah the Master just murdered a good chunk of the known universe by accident and then held the rest ransom leading to the death of the Fourth Doctor.

But no one working on this show would remember that anymore.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Stabbatical posted:

I also thought the Dalek word-filter made sense; of course they'd have an inbuilt independent thought stopper. It's probably canon inconsistent but who gives a toss about that. Between this and Into the Dalek, I think Moffat is trying to push the idea that the tank is as integral to the Dalek psychology as being a genetically engineered space-hate-race is. I'm alright with that.

Into the Dalek showed just that. They're cyborgs with a computer enforcing most of their thoughts. Clara's hookup just filtered instead of outright cancelling.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
That was good! That was REALLY REALLY GOOD!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The dalek itself has all the hate, but it is refined by the cybernetics.

I really liked that episode. I was worried it would be bad after the first episode being rather messy, but I think it was actually really good.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
This episode was okay until the villainous twist and then it became super cliche and stupid. Gave some major series 6 vibes, especially with both having a jowly leader with lovely ethics.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Rannos22 posted:

This episode was okay until the villainous twist and then it became super cliche and stupid. Gave some major series 6 vibes, especially with both having a jowly leader with lovely ethics.

Is it really fair to Davros to compare him to Richard Nixon?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well Manicured Man posted:

Only Davros could go to Gallifrey.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Well Manicured Man posted:

They both put a lot of work into ending a futile, seemingly endless war. Have we ever seen them both in the same room at the same time?

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
I thought that was a good episode, although more for the individual interactions between the Doctor/Davros and Missy/Clara. Pushing Clara down the sewer was telegraphed, but was still amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I laughed for a good minute after the chair reveal. That was genuinely hilarious.

• Locked thread