Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
I think the better buff pair is that Hydraulic Press catches up with the backstep and still hits for Guard's damage cap. Though it weakens Battery slightly by making it really elaborate to try and clash once Battery is up (Mechanical Shot, maybe? )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Basically, what I am trying to say through all my stupid is that Guard turns Grapnel from "occassional keepaway preventer" into "pretty good keepaway preventer", while also taking away the main tool most characters have to actually play keepaway with Cadenza. Sure, you can guard, but any beat where Cadenza trades favorably is a beat that Cadenza wins.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Also Lymn is really really bad at clashing because it gives the opponent a lot of control over disparity and her close styles are notable for being bad if priorities are similar (power penalty, capped damage, awkward range) while Fathomless was a great Dash callout. Especially since Visions is also priority 3 so fully half her hand might be at that awkward priority, she's really not very happy with Guard...

I think the biggest negative effect is making Cesar a much less interesting character when dealing with the high points of his cycle. At the same time, I need to see how it actually shapes up because I don't really like him and can't get a good sense of how he plays optimally anyways.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Speaking of which, I would totally be up for playing a game with Guard and/or the Force Gauge in order to test some of these theories?

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Make it full Blitz mode, too!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Would it be okay with you if I linked this in the L99 playtest forums? Assuming you're not there already. I think this is really good data for Brad.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Sure, I was going to do it but I need to reset my password and I keep forgetting to go through the motions.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
New match up! ActingPower (Tatsumi) vs. TheCog (Jager) is up!

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Question: Does Guard cap out at 2 damage even from multiple hits, or does each hit only do 2 damage at max?

The reason I ask is that if it's the latter, Malandrax really doesn't care about Guard that much. If it's the former, Mad Fnorder's assessment is spot on. Same with Gaspar.

That said, the fact that Adjenna gets a ridiculous boost from Guard existing is... problematic.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

2 damage per Beat, no questions asked.

Guard also happens to be really good against Adjenna, which means her beats get way less interesting - there's no more trying to run past her when she dashes or otherwise use movement to get away from it, and there's no way for her to respond to Guard's movement without Stare at range exactly 3.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Poison Mushroom posted:

Speaking of which, I would totally be up for playing a game with Guard and/or the Force Gauge in order to test some of these theories?

We never did finish our Sarafina and Xenitia match!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, guess I'm fighting Baron! Anyone feel up to modding?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Andarel posted:

2 damage per Beat, no questions asked.

Guard also happens to be really good against Adjenna, which means her beats get way less interesting - there's no more trying to run past her when she dashes or otherwise use movement to get away from it, and there's no way for her to respond to Guard's movement without Stare at range exactly 3.

Hmmm. I will have to play with it a bit, I suppose. It looks promising, but of course, it's different. I will try not to be "they changed it, now it sucks."

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

People who are getting Evil Hikaru from me, mailed it earlier and should show up in a few days depending on usps speed.

Also I am apparently cursed to never ever ever get the remade Cherri playmat (not the one with her old art, the one with the bandaged face and white background) even though I think I've had like 3 chances to get it...they never pan out.

Andarel fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 26, 2015

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
millenium blades has a firefly themed set now
that sure is epic and ftw

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

millenium blades has a firefly themed set now
that sure is epic and ftw

That sure was $1500 in pure nerd chedder they could throw at the game and their staff, and all Fabio had to do in return was spank out some OC fanart. Most Tumblr artists can only pull $30-50 for the same gig, and Fabio didn't even have to draw them loving.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 27, 2015

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
now im sad nerds have $1500 to throw away self inserting themselves into games.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The next time they do a BattleCON Kickstarter I'm totally throwing down money to make a custom character. That's just too good to not pass up.

Flight 4 is boxed up now. This last set is going to be the worst.

At least until I buy War and Fate soon.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

The next time they do a BattleCON Kickstarter I'm totally throwing down money to make a custom character. That's just too good to not pass up.

Flight 4 is boxed up now. This last set is going to be the worst.

At least until I buy War and Fate soon.

Make sure their name is "Hitler's Gay Secret"

In other questions, does anyone know how to use Strikers with the force gauge?

EDIT: Actually their style should be "Hitler's Gay" and their base should be Secret.

hooman fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 28, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Gutter Owl posted:

That sure was $1500 in pure nerd chedder they could throw at the game and their staff, and all Fabio had to do in return was spank out some OC fanart. Most Tumblr artists can only pull $30-50 for the same gig, and Fabio didn't even have to draw them loving.

Also, gonna be honest here, it's not like the Millennium Blades previews were shy about showing you that practically every set of cards is a thinly veiled ripoff/homage of various bits of nerd pop culture all thrown together, so a Firefly pastiche set isn't even out of place.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I would love to see another goon tournament, I've been dreaming of such, but the essential conflict of "everybody who judges will want to play, too..." always got me to hesitate. I'd be down for Skype or whatever, or if there's some way for me to help, I'd be glad to help out.

Right now I have promo packages set for S.J., Shadow225, Inshaneee, Sefer, Ldsity, and WoI to mail out tomorrow. I haven't gotten addresses from AMooseDoesStuff or Mamnaelar as far as I can see, though it's possible I missed something. I need your addresses if you still want them sent. Otherwise, I'm going to have to open the floor, so let me know by Wednesday if you can. Signalnoise, let me know if you still need either, I'll see what I can do, and don't worry about paying anything for postage. These cards aren't doing much sitting on my shelf, after all.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Alright.

1) The tournament will happen, starting at a date TBD

2) The format will be mixed. Lower rounds will be real-time via Skype, with a cut to top 4 or 8 as PBP games. (Other realtime services can be substituted, if participants can agree. If you can play your game on VASSAL or TTS or whatever, go for it.)

3) Schedule will mandate at least one game from each bracketed pair every two weeks minimum, to keep things moving.

4) I haven't seen a real consensus for Force Gauge versus Special Action, so I'll open a formal poll. Somewhere.

5) I would like to participate in the tournament as well. As a matter of fairness, I would like a second TO to help me out. Second TO will be responsible for presiding over me as a player. Would someone like to step up for the role?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I would lean towards Special Actions, since it's a bit much to adapt to a whole new mechanic during a tournament, but I'm pretty easygoing either way. I'd be willing to help with running, but it'd be my first time, so it'd probably be best with somebody with more judging experience handle it.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Gutter Owl posted:

5) I would like to participate in the tournament as well. As a matter of fairness, I would like a second TO to help me out. Second TO will be responsible for presiding over me as a player. Would someone like to step up for the role?

Sure!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Guess I gotta bow out, then.

I still don't actually have a physical Battlecon set. :v:

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I haven't gotten addresses from AMooseDoesStuff .

Oh err, I thought I totally Gmail'd you? Guess I should just pony up and drop a plat.
Also thanks again.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

Guess I gotta bow out, then.

I still don't actually have a physical Battlecon set. :v:

Don't you make Tabletop Simulator hacks for fun? That's why I put TTS in as an alternate, because I figured you'd want to use it.

EDIT: Wouldn't even need full implementation. You could just have cards in the five style colors and refer back to the cheatsheets.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 28, 2015

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

There's already a perfectly functional TTS module :11tea:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I'd like to participate, but I'm still learning the game.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Also, if anyone I sent evil hikaru to wants a USPS tracking number let me know and I'll pull up the receipt to transcribe it.

As I've mentioned I prefer Force Gauge but am not overly attached to it (I'll just avoid anyone super ante-dependent because the way cancel interacts with ante is butt :<)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, TTS would work.

Gutter Owl posted:

Don't you make Tabletop Simulator hacks for fun?
I unironically love that this is what I'm known for now in the Board Game thread. I'm That TTS Chick. Final Attack TTS was a loving blast and I'm still holding onto the files in case anyone ever wants to try.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Sign-ups are open. Reach heaven through violence.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

In as BigBoswell

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Any format on character picks? Character lock? Pick 3 Ban 1 style each round? Are we going from the Worlds Draft Pool or free pick?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Now that we're above 8p it'll be hard to do worlds draft pick, and do people want to use Fate characters?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Ok, that's hilarious.

Mad Fnorder posted:

Any format on character picks? Character lock? Pick 3 Ban 1 style each round? Are we going from the Worlds Draft Pool or free pick?

I believe the format is "Free pick, Pick 3 Ban 1, Best two of three, losing with a character prevents you from playing as them again".

Should we be registering our character picks here in the thread? Otherwise, there isn't much to prevent us from swapping characters.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Maybe GO could make a Google Doc thing? Then we each have to submit, and can't change our answers, and she'll have an official record.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

That would work. Or we could hash them and submit the hashes.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
I joined, my very first internet game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Are we including the current Unlimited Restricted List (Arec, Ottavia, Kaitlyn, Endyrbyt) as playable, or no?