Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

RELEASE DATE: OCTOBER 6, DEMO NOW AVAILABLE

Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance is the latest game in the series, and the first on the PS4. This allows for better HD sprites, up to 120 units on screen at a time without slowdown, and more. You will travel to a variety of Netherworlds as you try to prevent the conquering of the whole multiverse. It features a lot of new features that will make your life much easier in pursuit of bigger numbers. Key new features:

+ Revenge Mode and Overloads! As you battle, you will build tension. When the bar fills, you can enter Revenge Mode, a sort of combat overdrive where you are guaranteed criticals, hit harder, and are generally awesome. Overlord-class units can access their Overload Ability in Revenge Mode, a unique and powerful special attack or ability. Become giant! Steal from all units simultaneously! Be careful though, as your enemies will use Revenge Mode and Overloads against you as well.

+ Squad System! This is similar to the class system or evil symbols from D3 or D4 respectively. Organize your units into squads for bonuses, new attacks, and more. Capture units as prisoners to level up and improve your squads. Enemies can now be captured by finishing maps or using new skills.

+ The Nether Research Squad! While your active team is battling with you, you can send other units out into the various Netherworlds to find items, equipment, and more!

+ Quest System! Now you can embark on various quests throughout your journey. These could include leveling up certain units, killing certain enemies, obtaining certain equipment or similar. This will provide you with cash, items, new classes, and more!

+ Overhauled Recruitment system! You can now recruit units at higher levels, limited to 85% of your highest unit's level. So once you get one unit to 9999, you will be able to recruit all future units at 8499, with full stat gains.

+ Overhauled Chara World! The Chara World is back, and this time, it's a board game! Spin the wheel to travel a certain number of spaces and gain all sorts of benefits, like stat boosts, new Evilities, and more!

+ Overhauled Evility System! You can now equip up to six evilities with wider effects than ever!

+ You can now equip two weapons simultaneously, and get stat boosts and abilities from each, although only one will be displayed on screen. To switch your active weapon, highlight the Attack command and press Right on the D-Pad.

DRAMATIS PERSONAE
Void Dark: The most powerful Overlord in history, he and his army, The Lost, have conquered countless Netherworlds and are spreading throughout the universe.

Killia is a powerful demon with a personal vendetta against Void Dark. He traverses the Netherworlds to get his revenge.

Seraphina is a wealthy Princess Overlord from the Gorgeous Netherworld. A child of good upbringing, she goes against her parents' wish to be married to Void Dark, so she can fight the "Lost".

Usalia is the heiress from the Toto Bunny Netherworld. She is cursed by Void Dark with a condition where she needs to eat curry or she'll go berserk. She rides on a giant yellow Prinny who fights with her.

Red Magnus is the overlord of the Scorching Flame Netherworld, a place where crazy demons gather. He believes in everything primal and that power is everything, and so is trying to defeat Void Dark to become the strongest overlord.

Christo is the overlord of the Giant Netherworld. He is extremely skilled as a war strategist, and will do anything to win a battle. He decides to take advantage of Killia's potential in magic, planning to use it in order to assassinate Void Dark.

Zeroken is a small overlord who fights against the Lost. He has a smug personality, but can also change his attitude depending on the opponent.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Here are the DLCs that are available in Japan, which will eventually make their way over to NA/EU.

Disgaea 1/Disgaea D2
Laharl
Etna
Flonne
Sicily
Female Laharl

Disgaea 2
Adell
Rozalin
Axel

Disgaea 3
Mao
Raspberyl
Almaz
Sapphire
Salvatore

Disgaea 4
Valvatorez
Fenrich
Fuka
Desco
Emizel
Artina

Other
Metallia (Witch and the Hundred Knight)
Zetta, Pram and Petta (Makai Kingdom)
Overlord Priere (La Pucelle)
Pleinair (Haradaya)
Celestial Host class

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm pretty excited for this, hoping that the NISA store isn't terribly slow with my LE. Is there any bonus for xfering over a demo save? I can wait till the full release but if theres something extra I wouldn't mind downloading it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

this comes out that soon? cool, i haven't been following it. i don't do crazy disgaea post game stuff but ive always enjoyed playing the main game like a normal sprg for like 30 hours or however long it takes.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm pretty excited for this, hoping that the NISA store isn't terribly slow with my LE. Is there any bonus for xfering over a demo save? I can wait till the full release but if theres something extra I wouldn't mind downloading it.

Not that I'm aware, no. Just the chance to get a head start on resources and levels. Some of the fine upstanding citizens over at Gamefaqs have all the classes unlocked and multiple lv 300 characters.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Get your poopsocks ready boyos! It's time to spend 100+ hours leveling up to 9999 so you can beat up a snes sprite..... and loving every second of it. Disgaea is the Saint's Row of Japanese SRPGs. I'm so glad NIS is still in business and still making these things! :w00t:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I thought I was out after D:2. Not because D:2 was bad but because that was the 5th time I've done this and really how many times can you play the powerlevel game in one lifetime?

The answer is 6 and counting.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Is there a concrete list of new features I can look at anywhere? I'm used to there being a trailer for each new game explaining everything new, but it appears that 5 does not have one.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It's a decade later and still I get excited to do the grind all over again. Here's hoping the big yellow prinny is the best character.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

My Disgaea 4 disc stopped reading so I'm glad this is coming out.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Gonna pick it up most likely but hearing it has a nonexistant postgame has me really concerned.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I really like Disgaea

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Gonna pick it up most likely but hearing it has a nonexistant postgame has me really concerned.

Yeah, I pre-ordered it a month or so back, have the same concerns. It will be fun to play through the item world again, though. D2 was a pretty good entry.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I don't know too much about the post game, but I do know there's a mission where you battle 100 clones of Asagi simultaneously which is a pretty great way of showing off.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

I have never played a Disgaea game before, always wanted to. I really loved Final Fantasy Tactics a lot, but that was the only isometric strategy game I've ever played.

From what I see in videos and reviews, this game requires a lot, a lot, a LOT of tinkering with and breaking the mechanics. I watched a video on Youtube today where the player fights a "Super Overlord Baal" and I couldn't even understand what the hell was going on.

Is this a game a newbie can pick up, learn and enjoy? I mean, for example, I play XCOM on Classic Ironman and enjoy it, but this game seems like a whole different beast, it looks really confusing for a beginner. I downloaded the demo last night and played it to the end, I could understand the basics of the mechanics, but there was a LOT going on there as well that I just knew I just *kinda* understood. Never seen so many numers and menus in my life, frankly, and I used to play a lot of AD&D when I was younger.

Kinda scared of paying for a game that will be too much for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's not really complicated. Higher numbers = better. There's no real choice involved in which numbers to make higher, the game is just about grinding and ways to setup grinding.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Endorph posted:

It's not really complicated. Higher numbers = better. There's no real choice involved in which numbers to make higher, the game is just about grinding and ways to setup grinding.

Hahaha in that "Super Overlord Baal" video I watched there were some high numbers, alright. SOMEONE dealt 46 billion damage with one strike at some point but I couldn't understand who dealt the damage to whom, so... but that was a VERY high number, someone was definitely doing something right there.

Something scary was that the guy who made that video unlocked an EVEN HARDER fight after that one and from his description he would not even bother trying. And he sounded like a VERY, VERY experienced player and he just gave up!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The good thing about Disgaea is there are a lot of exit points. Like yeah Super Baal requires a ton of cheesing and billions in stats, hundreds of hours of setup for just that one fight. But that's the far end of the post game. You can usually beat the campaign in a Disgaea game at level 100 in 30-40 hours, with store bought weapons. At that point, there's always another boss mission juuuuuuuuust outside your reach, and it's up to you whether you want to go do it or not. It's quite nice. Or, in D5, you can just hide in a corner and chug sodas for an hour and become invincible to anything in the main plot.

IMPORTANT PROTIP: using an item in battle, even a 30 credit soda, will give you an eighth of a level no questions asked. Doesn't matter if it's level 2 or level 9999. So you sit in the tutorial level and pound 800 drinks? Congrats you can probably finish the campaign.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
You really dont need to sweat it with Disgaea as far as complexity goes, all the systems are introduced slowly and theres a ton of stuff you can completely ignore.

If like me youre not bothered about postgame and just want to chill out with the campaign and some casual item/ chara world youre pretty much ok to go in blind and still get a good 50 or 60 hours out of it (basing this on older titles as 5 isnt out in Europe yet :negative:).

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

The good thing about Disgaea is there are a lot of exit points. Like yeah Super Baal requires a ton of cheesing and billions in stats, hundreds of hours of setup for just that one fight. But that's the far end of the post game. You can usually beat the campaign in a Disgaea game at level 100 in 30-40 hours, with store bought weapons. At that point, there's always another boss mission juuuuuuuuust outside your reach, and it's up to you whether you want to go do it or not. It's quite nice. Or, in D5, you can just hide in a corner and chug sodas for an hour and become invincible to anything in the main plot.

IMPORTANT PROTIP: using an item in battle, even a 30 credit soda, will give you an eighth of a level no questions asked. Doesn't matter if it's level 2 or level 9999. So you sit in the tutorial level and pound 800 drinks? Congrats you can probably finish the campaign.

What the HELL? is that intended? Using sodas to level up like crazy like that??

But thanks for the answers everyone, I think I'll go ahead and buy it, yeah. Sounds like a lot of fun!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Andre Banzai posted:

But thanks for the answers everyone, I think I'll go ahead and buy it, yeah. Sounds like a lot of fun!

Intended is a strong word. But it's available, yes. So if you wanted to, you could grind out some cash so you had about 3000, buy a bunch of sodas, get one of your main characters to 100, then recruit a bunch of generics at 85 and be set by about hour 3 until about hour 30. Should you do that? Who knows. I'm not planning to.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Andre Banzai posted:

Probably? The entire game is built around abusing game mechanics to level up really easily. the characters even break the fourth wall to point this out.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Also it's worth noting that people are currently doing the soda trick because the demo vastly restricts your options and it's faster than grinding on lv 4 enemies. In the actual game you will find much much faster ways to level up involving the cheat shop, Cave of Ordeals or similar, and the EXP share Squad.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Also it's worth noting that people are currently doing the soda trick because the demo vastly restricts your options and it's faster than grinding on lv 4 enemies. In the actual game you will find much much faster ways to level up involving the cheat shop, Cave of Ordeals or similar, and the EXP share Squad.

Alright, about the demo then. There is a quest there that if I complete will unlock the Archer class. I need, from what I remember, a Fighter lvl 2 and a Mage or Healer lvl 2. I reached lvl 2 with both but didn't complete the quest. Is that intended or is the game talking about the STARS instead?

If so, how should I do to add more stars to a character type? By leveling up too?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Andre Banzai posted:

Alright, about the demo then. There is a quest there that if I complete will unlock the Archer class. I need, from what I remember, a Fighter lvl 2 and a Mage or Healer lvl 2. I reached lvl 2 with both but didn't complete the quest. Is that intended or is the game talking about the STARS instead?

If so, how should I do to add more stars to a character type? By leveling up too?

It's class EXP, your "stars". I'm not sure if anyone has fully solved the mechanics of it, but it's not 100% tied to level exp. Best way to get it right now seems to be just killing dudes or breaking items like the crates in 1-2 with the unit. The enemies in 1-4 seem to give the best returns per time right now, but you'll need to be lv 4-5 to one shot them dependably.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

It's class EXP, your "stars". I'm not sure if anyone has fully solved the mechanics of it, but it's not 100% tied to level exp. Best way to get it right now seems to be just killing dudes or breaking items like the crates in 1-2 with the unit. The enemies in 1-4 seem to give the best returns per time right now, but you'll need to be lv 4-5 to one shot them dependably.

Aaahh, alright! Thank you!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah it's called 'class mastery' I believe. The recruiter has a blurb on it. It's a simplification of the 'ranks' idea from earlier games. If you fill a star in say fighter not only do you unlock the next fighter class for recruiting, your character I think advances into that class too which should mean better stat and weapon aptitudes.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah it's called 'class mastery' I believe. The recruiter has a blurb on it. It's a simplification of the 'ranks' idea from earlier games. If you fill a star in say fighter not only do you unlock the next fighter class for recruiting, your character I think advances into that class too which should mean better stat and weapon aptitudes.

Ahh nice to know. By the way, what is the "secondary weapon" for? Can I switch during the battle and use a bow instead of a sword, for example? Sometimes my character would swap on his own and I got confused.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Andre Banzai posted:

Ahh nice to know. By the way, what is the "secondary weapon" for? Can I switch during the battle and use a bow instead of a sword, for example? Sometimes my character would swap on his own and I got confused.

Apparently the sub-weapons are designed so you can have two weapons equipped simultaneously, switching which is active on a free-action basis. To do this, highlight the attack command and hit d-pad right to switch to your sub-weapons. This allows, say, a Magic Knight, who constantly switches between melee and spells, to have both a staff and sword available. There will be later Evilities (special abilities) that allow you to dual wield and make an attack with each.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/835980-disgaea-5-alliance-of-vengeance/72544918

This was not communicated well in the demo.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Apparently the sub-weapons are designed so you can have two weapons equipped simultaneously, switching which is active on a free-action basis. To do this, highlight the attack command and hit d-pad right to switch to your sub-weapons. This allows, say, a Magic Knight, who constantly switches between melee and spells, to have both a staff and sword available. There will be later Evilities (special abilities) that allow you to dual wield and make an attack with each.

Right. Cool, thank you.

Now it's only a matter of waiting some months until there's a good discount. Due to the economic crisis here in Brazil, our currency is now worth approximately poo poo. Therefore the game costs us ~250 credits. Completely unreasonable for a digital download.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Seems my copy came early, surprised since I chose the free shipping on the Nisa store. Can't complain though.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
drat you. Amazon won't do me the same favor

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dunno what all the complaints about the dub were about, seems fine so far.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Seems my copy came early, surprised since I chose the free shipping on the Nisa store. Can't complain though.

Did you ever get an order status update? Mine is still at Processing (preorder)...

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Thank you for this, time to get sub-weapons for my party so they can get to levelling weapon masteries easier.

Also pretty great that characters can be created at higher levels; no more "here's your Level 1 recruit, get to grinding" that I disliked.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
A non vocal version of the base music would be neat, its really cool up until the singing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Daedalus1134 posted:

Did you ever get an order status update? Mine is still at Processing (preorder)...

Nope. I never even got an email saying that it shipped.

hubris.height posted:

A non vocal version of the base music would be neat, its really cool up until the singing.

Yeah for real.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Andre Banzai posted:

I have never played a Disgaea game before, always wanted to. I really loved Final Fantasy Tactics a lot, but that was the only isometric strategy game I've ever played.

Go play Tactics Ogre instead, namely the PSP one "Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together". It's pretty drat great and fixes many issues with Final Fantasy Tactics.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

hubris.height posted:

we'll be able to change the bgm in the base right? :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
You can in the demo so I assume you can in the full game. Looks like I might be able to actually get someone to 9999 in this game with how much they streamlined it. I always stopped playing when I had to go slog for statisticians and grind the same exp map over and over in the postgame.

• Locked thread