Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Why is this thread now about loving Finland

Why are there so many Finns on SA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

hackbunny posted:

They don't like leaving the house and/or talking to people. They are obsessed with themselves and think the rest of the world also cares disproportionally about their frozen country of like 2 million people that deny they're actually russians

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Let's make a deal: Finland can take in 0 refugees in exchange for their internet being blocked off from the rest of the world so we don't have to hear from them.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Somebody posted a story/link in GBS that refugees arriving in Finland were leaving because it was too cold and boring?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, don't have it to hand but it was on Yahoo News. They said that no-one leaves their houses and there's no cafes and restaurants, so it's boring as poo poo.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Overpaid Neanderthal Jeremy Clarkson wanted Britain's driver test to emulate Finland's because they all drift and do crazy things and then you realize it's like 300 of them max in any given decade that do motor sport and nobody's actually met a Finnish motorsport star because he's inside his house.

:lol: here it is:

Tornio (Finland) (AFP) - Hundreds of predominantly Iraqi migrants who have travelled through Europe to reach Finland are turning back, saying they don't want to stay in the sparsely-populated country on Europe's northern frontier because it's too cold and boring.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 26, 2015

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper

hackbunny posted:

I think the thread became Finlandchat because it's the only nation that we've been given anything even approaching actual data on, so when it comes to potential societal or economic benefits and consequences of taking in refugees and migrants Finland is the best case to discuss since we have some starting points that aren't just inflammatory/congratulatory news snippets.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Tornio (Finland) (AFP) - Hundreds of predominantly Iraqi migrants who have travelled through Europe to reach Finland are turning back, saying they don't want to stay in the sparsely-populated country on Europe's northern frontier because it's too cold and boring.

Instead of staying in this country of 80 million with plenty of jobs for everyone, let's head for a country on the arctic circle that's the same size but has only 7% of the population. What could go wrong?
-Actual Iraqis

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper
poo poo, I'd love to move to Finland apparently, cause I'm all for cold and boring. Really.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Double Bill posted:

Instead of staying in this country of 80 million with plenty of jobs for everyone, let's head for a country on the arctic circle that's the same size but has only 7% of the population. What could go wrong?
-Actual Iraqis

The Finnish route tends to go through Moscow.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PaleIrishGuy posted:

poo poo, I'd love to move to Finland apparently, cause I'm all for cold and boring. Really.
Yeah, just give me good Internet and decent buck.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Volkerball posted:

The Finnish route tends to go through Moscow.

It did, in the 90s. Now 99+% of the arrivals go Germany -> Denmark -> Sweden -> Northern Finland.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Double Bill posted:

It did, in the 90s. Now 99+% of the arrivals go Germany -> Denmark -> Sweden -> Northern Finland.

Source?

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

In Finnish (title is "Southeast border is not appealing for asylum seekers"): http://www.esaimaa.fi/Online/2015/09/22/Kaakkoisraja%20ei%20houkuttele%20turvapaikanhakijoita/2015519602008/4

According to Border Control about 10 asylum seekers have crossed the Finnish/Russian border this year. Compared to 500+ a day from Sweden at the moment.

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 26, 2015

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

hackbunny posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_Internet_users

Hit percentage. Internet is actually a legal right in Finland!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10461048

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

By that logic alone there should be tons of French people in here, but I don't ever remember any discussion derailed by French goons.

I'll go with the shut-in theory.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

steinrokkan posted:

By that logic alone there should be tons of French people in here, but I don't ever remember any discussion derailed by French goons.

I'll go with the shut-in theory.

Oh definitely, we're like one of the most depressing/depressed people on Earth. I blame the snow and trees.

And the alcohol.

And the knives.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
It's horrible here. Please don't come.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
I don't think there are any refugees itt

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Ligur posted:

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Ligur posted:

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Gravel Gravy posted:

I don't think there are any refugees itt

It is obvious that SA should start to accept it's quota of refugees.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Lowtechs posted:

It is obvious that SA should start to accept it's quota of refugees.

Considering most of you are American pieces of poo poo who should really take in at least half of these dudes if there was any justice in the world, good luck with that

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

DarkCrawler posted:

Considering most of you are American pieces of poo poo who should really take in at least half of these dudes if there was any justice in the world, good luck with that
Hey, I'm American and I'd be favor of us taking in any and all refugees. Taking in one million Syrians (or any nationality) would be 20,000 people per state, we could handle that easily.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DarkCrawler posted:

If there's any justice then the EU as a whole would pay reparations to the Middle East and other war torn regions.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

computer parts posted:

If there's any justice then the EU as a whole would pay reparations to the Middle East and other war torn regions.

But the EU has never actually invaded anyone (you're thinking of two particular countries in Western Europe). I'm failing to see how you can hold places like Poland and Bulgaria responsible for all of that really, were they meant to invade France and the UK back in 1800?

The amount of power you guys invest in the idea of 'Europe' as some kind of coordinated evil-empire that's just :tinfoil: masquerading :tinfoil: as a bunch of independent states is crazy. The EU doesn't bear responsibility for anything because its ability to direct the foreign policy of its larger members is near zero.

lmaoboy1998 fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 27, 2015

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

computer parts posted:

What evil things has Sweden or Croatia been doing in Middle East exactly?

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well Sweden`s been tolerating gay folks and promoting feminism for a while which is a form of indirect idelogical imperialism and a disrespect to the region`s value system. Croatian soldiers probably killed some Arabs who came to "help" during the Yugoslavian wars. Sweden`s foreign minister also hurt Saudi-Arabia`s feelings last year by pointing out what a utterly poo poo country it is.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

Baudolino posted:

Well Sweden`s been tolerating gay folks and promoting feminism for a while which is a form of indirect idelogical imperialism and a disrespect to the region`s value system. Croatian soldiers probably killed some Arabs who came to "help" during the Yugoslavian wars. Sweden`s foreign minister also hurt Saudi-Arabia`s feelings last year by pointing out what a utterly poo poo country it is.

Sweden and Croatia were both in Afghanistan though. According to wikipedia, Sweden had almost 900 troops there while Croatia had about company strength.

Afghanistan is not Middle east though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

lmaoboy1998 posted:

I'm failing to see how you can hold places like Poland and Bulgaria responsible for all of that really, were they meant to invade France and the UK back in 1800?

Poland was part of the Coalition of the Willing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think it's silly to accept refugees to "make up" for colonialism (real or tenuous).

That would imply you can make up for colonialism.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

lmaoboy1998 posted:

But the EU has never actually invaded anyone (you're thinking of two particular countries in Western Europe).

The two main countries in the EU had worldwide empires, as did Italy, Belgium, and other nations.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I think it's silly to accept refugees to "make up" for colonialism (real or tenuous).

This is also true.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This sounds very profound but is actually very vapid if you think about it for more than a second.

"We were terrible back then, sorry, but now we have to keep being terrible because we can never completely make up for the past anyway" - a bad argument.

computer parts posted:

The two main countries in the EU had worldwide empires, as did Italy, Belgium, and other nations.

This is also true.

Uh, punish those countries then? Your hard on for collective EU responsibility is weirding me out.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

lmaoboy1998 posted:

Uh, punish those countries then? Your hard on for collective EU responsibility is weirding me out.

Shared responsibility is an inherent part of a union.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

computer parts posted:

Shared responsibility is an inherent part of a union.

For crimes committed before the union's existence? I don't think so.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Baudolino posted:

This is a pretty good example of why Europe as a whole should pay reparations, really. Of course, they can't make up for the infamous and villainous behavior of Europeans, but it does recognize that wrong has been done.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DarkCrawler posted:

For crimes committed before the union's existence? I don't think so.

It's not as though these crimes were a secret.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

computer parts posted:

It's not as though these crimes were a secret.

No, but Ireland isn't retroactively guilty of the British Empire's crimes when it itself was target of those crimes, and there are countries in the EU who haven't been independent until the 90's. Retroactive punishment on all makes no sense whatsoever. It is not listed in any treaties or deals of the union, every country is still very much responsible of its own past and present poo poo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DarkCrawler posted:

No, but Ireland isn't retroactively guilty of the British Empire's crimes when it itself was target of those crimes.

So let's compromise - those countries that were targets of the crimes are exempt, while those countries that benefited from the crimes of other countries should pay.

Now all we need to determine is if Scandinavia et all benefitted from those crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Sweden should pay reparations to Finland for their crimes against us when we were part of swedish kingdom.

• Locked thread