Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

My favourite Gesler and Stormy moment will always be the end of Bonehunters

"Oh, Stormy, it's for you."

I read Bonehunters so long ago I don't remember the context for that. What was going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
i believe thats at the end of bonehunters when that t'lan imass from the silanda who gave stormy his sword comes back and knocks on braven tooth's door looking for his drat sword

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Dalmuti posted:

i believe thats at the end of bonehunters when that t'lan imass from the silanda who gave stormy his sword comes back and knocks on braven tooth's door looking for his drat sword

Yup. That was golden.

Also, I'm about 400 pages or so into Toll The Hounds now and... I don't know. It's still good. Better than good, really, but it's very slow and plodding compared to the pace The Bonehunters and Reaper's Gale had. Slower even than the windup Midnight Tides had (granted, MT also had one hell of a payoff at the end, as long as you don't mind repeated gut punches.)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
TtH is probably the worst book in the series. That being said, a lot of the Tiste Andii has a massive payoff when/after you read FoD.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
TtH is super slow starting out but has a nice finish

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Daric posted:

After I finish this, should I go through the esselmont books or read FoD first? And the Bauchelein and Korbal Broach books are short stories right?

In my opinion the Bauchelein and Korbal books are pure comedy gold. But then again I like Esselmont's books which apparently is some form of heresy in this thread. Your mileage may vary. I think a main problem for a lot of people is they expect Esselmont to be on a level playing field with Erikson, which is asking a lot of an author, I mostly enjoy it for looking at the setting from a different perspective and see how some plot lines play out.

Also there are a number of parallels between the T'lan Imass ritual and the Crimson Guard vow which are mentioned throughout the series, so that particular reveal made a lot of sense to me when it came up..

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Fenrir posted:

Yup. That was golden.

Also, I'm about 400 pages or so into Toll The Hounds now and... I don't know. It's still good. Better than good, really, but it's very slow and plodding compared to the pace The Bonehunters and Reaper's Gale had. Slower even than the windup Midnight Tides had (granted, MT also had one hell of a payoff at the end, as long as you don't mind repeated gut punches.)

It's worth mentioning that Erikson hosed around with the structure so it doesn't resemble the other books all that much. Very much so worth it for the climax, do post and let us know, et cetera...

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Just glad to know I'm not the only one. And you're right, the voice changes significantly, especially in the chapters that seem like Kruppe is reading the book to someone. That poo poo gets tedious sometimes. I get the idea - he's (Early in the series spoilers, mostly Gardens) the Eel, and he knows literally EVERYTHING in Darujhistan, and a lot about everything else as well, but that narration style is just :ughh: sometimes.

From what I've read so far, the Tiste Andii chapters are just going to be a slog until FoD makes sense of them and apparently that's the first book I'll be reading when I finally finish the main 10.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Fenrir posted:

From what I've read so far, the Tiste Andii chapters are just going to be a slog until FoD makes sense of them and apparently that's the first book I'll be reading when I finally finish the main 10.

They make sense before then, but they make a different kind of sense after FoD. Erikson is tricky like that. A lot of their scenes make more sense when you keep the fact that these Andii (if I remember correctly) are young idiots that suffer from the same pathos as the rest of their race, and lack the confidence their elders have from knowing that they kick rear end.

Also they were raised by a stubborn rear end in a top hat that neglected to teach them or train them much in the ways of how to cope with any kind of pressure or outside influence. I think that's correct. Crap I should probably re-read that book. It's one of the few that I've barely touched since I finished it.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
That makes sense.

Also, totally unrelated but it's come to mind because my girlfriend is reading GotM: (Spoilers up to and including RG) Oponn had a great deal to do with Ganoes Paran and he may have been the closest thing the twins had to a Mortal Sword (they blessed his sword, named... Chance), until he became Master and tossed said sword to Cotillion (these events may have happened in reverse order, but yeah still). We haven't seen much of Oponn since, really, aside from the Lady's favorite Corabb. Were the twins just there at that point to gently caress up Shadowthrone's plans? Do they make any other significant impact?

Speaking of which, where IS Ganoes? He's Master of the Deck and now apparently a high fist, and I can hardly even remember the last time I even saw him... He's my favorite character still alive, aside from Karsa. I thought maybe we'd see something of him in RG since the Errant gave that whole spiel about openly challenging the power of the Deck with the power of the Holds, but nope. Nothing came of that. He drowned his own Destriant, his Mortal Sword never came, and his Shield Anvil flat out rejected his rear end.
(Do not click that if you haven't at least read to RG.)

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 26, 2015

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
If I hated everything about the Tiste Andii (including Rake) except for Spinnock Durav and the conclusion to the Shake am I going to enjoy FoD? They're such an emo, dull, self-pitying race that seems so weak and useless next to the grit and conviction of the Malazans.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

acumen posted:

If I hated everything about the Tiste Andii (including Rake) except for Spinnock Durav and the conclusion to the Shake am I going to enjoy FoD? They're such an emo, dull, self-pitying race that seems so weak and useless next to the grit and conviction of the Malazans.

More Draconus. More Jaghut.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
plus the tiste in FOD are quite a bit less emo. more ptsd as an entire race

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

If you dislike Toll The Hounds, and more specifically if you don't think it's the best novel in the series (or at least tied with Memories of Ice), you hate books and have a tragically broken brain.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

If you dislike Toll The Hounds, and more specifically if you don't think it's the best novel in the series (or at least tied with Memories of Ice), you hate books and have a tragically broken brain.

Eh, sorry no. I love books and I love this series and so far the best by far are Memories of Ice and The Bonehunters... TtH has been the hardest to read so far at about 440 pages in. I wouldn't say I dislike it, it's just very very slow going in comparison to the better books he's written.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I like the Andii parts (mind you, it took FoD to make me like them), but gently caress Darujhistan and everyone there.
And the best book in the series is obviously Midnight Tides.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Oh you poor bastards who don't appreciate Deadhouse Gates. DG & MOI for life.

The first time reading TtH was horrible but I was so numbed that I wasn't looking for the subtle stuff anymore. TtH has a lot of very little things going on, and I appreciated it, especially the Andii parts, a lot more on the second read through. It does save itself for a huge climax though, so keep on trucking.

But holy poo poo the Kruppe narration was hard to stomach and it doubled down on having two page long poetry for chapter intros, that seemed even less relevant to the story/history/backstory than ever.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Fenrir posted:

And you're right, the voice changes significantly, especially in the chapters that seem like Kruppe is reading the book to someone. That poo poo gets tedious sometimes.
I loved this, but then I had also really missed Kruppe over the previous five books. A Pust vs Kruppe duel was basically all I ever wanted from the series since they were both introduced. Loved checking back in with the retired Bridgeburners too.

After finishing the series I really thought Karsa would have made it at least to a continent near the convergence by TCG. Didn't Calm have a line after he frees her in House of Chains about how he's gonna play a pivotal role at the end or something? I guess killing Fener influenced the ending but I kept waiting for him to pop out of a warren when the Crippled God had manifested.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Fenrir posted:

Eh, sorry no. I love books and I love this series and so far the best by far are Memories of Ice and The Bonehunters... TtH has been the hardest to read so far at about 440 pages in. I wouldn't say I dislike it, it's just very very slow going in comparison to the better books he's written.

Yeah, you're not done yet. Wait till you're done to pass judgement. TtH has arguably the craziest climax of any book in the series.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

TtH is great. Major problem is that you need to reread the series and read FoD to really appreciate TtH.
MoI is not the best book IMO, but I was never a whiskeyjack fan.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Cardiac posted:

TtH is great. Major problem is that you need to reread the series and read FoD to really appreciate TtH.

The siege of Capustan, undead lizards with swords arms are unveiled, the attack on Coral that goes so well for the Bridgeburners, Toc rolling with Tool and Lady Envy all happen in MoI, it's not really just a Whiskeyjack book.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Well, Toc and Tool were my favorites. That was the best goddamn bromance I've ever seen, it reminded me of Mirror and Razor in the last Dragonlance trilogy but Toc and Tool were better.

anilEhilated posted:

And the best book in the series is obviously Midnight Tides.
Silly man, that's not how you spell The Bonehunters.

Tommofork posted:

Oh you poor bastards who don't appreciate Deadhouse Gates. DG & MOI for life.
Hey I said MoI. I should have said DG too. That poo poo was amazing. It just seems so far away now. Like ten years ago even though I just read it 8 months ago. I don't get a lot of reading time so it's probably going to take all of 2015 to read these books and it might even bleed into next year a little. Depends on how fast I get through the 2700 or so pages I have left to read. I'm at 442 in TtH right now and I started the series in January.

gently caress that reminds me, I gotta go order Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God. And Forge of Darkness now that I'm thinking of it.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 26, 2015

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Cardiac posted:

Pretty much this.

TtH is a great book. The problem is that you don't realize this until it's ending, and you have to wade through a lake of textual molasses to get to it. It's a book that justifies itself with its ending, but the first time you're reading it it's just frustrating.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Is the consensus that you should wait to read FoD until after you've finished the main series? I'm on tBH right now.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

CompeAnansi posted:

Is the consensus that you should wait to read FoD until after you've finished the main series? I'm on tBH right now.

It's probably for the best. Plus, that way you might be finishing FoD around the time FoL comes out.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I loved TtH just because it went back to Darujhistan after so long. GoTM is far from my favorite book in the series but it had a lot of great characters that disappear for six books. The Tiste Andii bits were the worst part, but I've been pleasantly surprised so far at how much more interesting they are in FoD, though they're not really Andii yet.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

CompeAnansi posted:

either start or end with FoD, going to it midway through will just make for confusion.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I just finished TCG. It was amazing all the way to the end.

Unfortunately, Forge of Darkness isn't available on Audible. I might have to read something else first. My girlfriend is buying me a paperwhite in a couple weeks so I'll just wait until I get that before I start it.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Daric posted:

Unfortunately, Forge of Darkness isn't available on Audible.

Huh? I'm looking at it in my library right now. Is it a regional thing?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

NmareBfly posted:

Huh? I'm looking at it in my library right now. Is it a regional thing?

Oh nice! For some reason it wasn't showing up on Amazon but I guess I can purchase straight from audible now. That's great, thanks so much.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

acumen posted:

FoD is very enjoyable, and works well on its own, but it doesn't redeem the Tiste scenes in the main series from their awful dull repetition and nonexistent pace. There's not so much a payoff though, more of a series of 'gotcha!' moments and/or 'that's neat' sequences, which are fun enough. I get that all the callbacks and back-filling scratches a particular nerdy itch, but it's in no way critical for understanding or enjoyment of the series.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I'm about 700 pages into Toll the Hounds now and I have to ask - this may be obvious, or at least I think it is but I just have to ask anyway - is Traveller actually Daseem Ulmtor? Certainly seems like it.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Not to say you are wrong but just keep reading. You'll thank me acknowledge me.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I'm a little ways into FoD right now, barely even a little, but so far it's more medieval bureaucracy and less Dragon Goku vs Tiste Vegeta than I was hoping

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
They changed the audiobook guy again for FoD and ... Yeah, this time I'm just gonna start actually reading books.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Daric posted:

I'm a little ways into FoD right now, barely even a little, but so far it's more medieval bureaucracy and less Dragon Goku vs Tiste Vegeta than I was hoping

you're not getting that in FoD, you're getting answers to tons of poo poo that didn't really make sense though

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Koopa Kid posted:

FoD is very enjoyable, and works well on its own, but it doesn't redeem the Tiste scenes in the main series from their awful dull repetition and nonexistent pace. There's not so much a payoff though, more of a series of 'gotcha!' moments and/or 'that's neat' sequences, which are fun enough. I get that all the callbacks and back-filling scratches a particular nerdy itch, but it's in no way critical for understanding or enjoyment of the series.

I don't agree with that spoilered bit at all, or at least to the extent that there's plenty of great stuff in the main series that's not critical for understanding or enjoyment of the series, either, but as with FoD, tremendously impacts both of those things.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Tommofork posted:

The siege of Capustan, undead lizards with swords arms are unveiled, the attack on Coral that goes so well for the Bridgeburners, Toc rolling with Tool and Lady Envy all happen in MoI, it's not really just a Whiskeyjack book.

Eh, like I haven't read MoI 3 times.

While MoI, like all books in the series is great, I consider other books better. Best scene and character in MoI is Itkovian for me. Cool moments is not the only reason to read the series.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Cardiac posted:

Eh, like I haven't read MoI 3 times.

While MoI, like all books in the series is great, I consider other books better. Best scene and character in MoI is Itkovian for me. Cool moments is not the only reason to read the series.

Am I the only one to think that Itkovian is a really bland character? He never really did much for me and I'm not sure why there was so much focus on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Probably? I mean, he's wrecked by survivors' guilt, he had to abandon all he held dear when his god died and the only way for his company to survive was to reconsecrate it, and then he sacrificed everything he left not out of despair but out of pity for the Imass - even if that's not characterization (and I do feel we get a lot of that, with his PoV bits), it's at least a pretty good foreshadowing or echo of the themes the series ended up being about, compassion given by those who think they have nothing left to give and saving the day.
His story is one of my favorite parts of MoI.