Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

This is my favourite TD game and the prospect of a PS4 port for either 1 or 2 has me crazy excited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
The class silhouettes for DQ2 have been posted. And there's... a lot of them. :stare: DQ1 only had 7 total, including Azra. Anyone care to guess what each class represented is?

There's also a short podcast that talks a lot about the design / storytelling of DQ1 that's fairly informative, as well as where the inspiration of The Pit came from as a setting. http://www.thekingdomsofevil.com/?p=4568

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
That's a loving guy manning a gatling gun in L, isn't it. :allears:

This should make things more interesting if you do an 'only unique characters' playthrough.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Justin_Brett posted:

This should make things more interesting if you do an 'only unique characters' playthrough.

Well, I'm excited!

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Justin_Brett posted:

That's probably going to be the only playthrough, every character is unique. There are no generics like DQ1, so the option of making a ton of archers is gone.

It will be nice trying to figure out which characters work well together.

Edit: Also F has a trumpet it looks like. :raise:

Jesto fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 16, 2015

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh neat. The first game was a lot more interesting if you only used the actual characters.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Justin_Brett posted:

J has a crossbow.

E and M look like they might be mages of some sort.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Jesto posted:

The class silhouettes for DQ2 have been posted. And there's... a lot of them.

You're remaking Dragon Quest?

... wait, no. Never mind, wrong abbreviation.

I ended up pre-ordering, but did figure I'd be happiest w/o early access.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Im just going to go ahead and assume that A is King DeDeDe and therefore this game will be amazing.

e: forgot about the turtle tank, this game is lame.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
H is a giant Elvis head, so that'll be neat.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Part 2 of the LevelUpLabs interview with the developer and writer.

http://www.thekingdomsofevil.com/?p=4574

It's really informative, mostly about how to write for videogames in a capacity beyond what you see in most first time professional projects. A lot of developers for games on flash hubs don't really put any investment into the story because they know people are only there for the mechanics, but with Defender's Quest the huge investment of story didn't take away from the mechanics, nor did the intricate mechanics take away from the story. They were both designed together hand in hand every step of the way and as a result the final product turned out wonderful.

I remember Epic Battle Fantasy and Evoland for their mechanics, but nothing about their story because the story is just an afterthought slapped together for giggles and references. I remember Penny Arcade Adventures 1-4, but only for their story because mechanically they were rather dry -- especially since PAA was mechanically a step down from Zeboyd's previous work, Cthulhu Saves The World, in so many ways. I wonder why it's such a hard balance to hit?

They also talk :siren: a fair amount (spoilers) :siren: about the world of Defender's Quest 2 and what's making it so intricate. All the different factions available, the world, their culture and society and how they all differ drastically from the typical fantasy writing which is 'Traditional American Values, But With Elves And Dwarves And poo poo'. My words, not theirs. :)

I do worry that, with the scope of the characters and cultures in DQ2, a lot will wind up on the cutting room floor for the sake of brevity and the average gamer's disinterest for story, buuut they're adding a story update for DQ1 so hopefully I'm wrong? v:shobon:v

Anyone else have thoughts on that interview? At 45 minutes it's a bit of a time investment, but well worth it.

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Buy my awesome game because I'm awesome.
Wow this thread just keeps on truckin', doesn't it?

Big update today:
http://www.fortressofdoors.com/defenders-quest-2-weaselmancer-and-archer/

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
:siren: Info Dump Incoming - The following post contains no more information than you would find in old game booklets. But if you want to go in completely fresh, read no further. :siren:

http://www.fortressofdoors.com/defenders-quest-2-weaselmancer-and-archer/

quote:

Last week we posted about DQ1HD and DQ2's milestone plan. Today let's supplement that with a sneak peek at some characters for Defender's Quest 2.

A while back we posted a little bit about Javir, Terevan and "New Guy" but let's add a few other characters to the mix. Today we're officially revealing the Weaselmancer and a preview of the rest of the cast.

SPOILERS???

I wouldn't consider the material in this post any more spoiler-ific than what you'd find in an old-school instruction manual, but if you want to know absolutely nothing about Defender's Quest 2 before release, feel free to skip this post.

Anyways, here's the Weaselmancer:

Cleverness Firstwatch, Weaselmancer

Explore Everywhere. Fight everything that moves. Steal everything that doesn't.

Height: 6'6" (198 cm)
Home: A weasel-filled cave

You know, a lot of people would consider being trapped in a cave-in with nothing but ferrets for company for a year and a half to be a negative experience, but Cleverness is a positive kind of person. How many people get the opportunity to experience all the health benefits of the cave lichen and dead bat diet? Or learn to talk with weasels? Or train weasels into a vicious, organized army capable of conquering a vast subterranean empire? Or feel the feeble social constructs of your upbringing slip away as you begin to adopt the values and practices of the culture around you? Or sit on a throne made of the pelts of conquered creatures as Ferret Warlord Goddess, master of all you can see (which is like, 35 feet, since you're in a cave, but still) as your weasel captains lavish you with the shiniest objects and tastiest morsels – you, their Queen and God?! Who would ever return from THIS?

What's that? A rescue party?

…Well I'm sure the whole reintegration-into-society thing will go off without a hitch.

In battle she uses her army of ferrets to help friends and harass foes. Outside of battle, she uses them to harass everyone.

_______

Next, here's a sneak preview of all 14 Defender's Quest 2 hero characters (well, maybe 13, as Javir and Bitey the turtle-tank kind of count as one character in battle). Remember, in DQ2 there will be no "generic" soliders like in DQ1, but there will be trained monsters that certain characters can summon that will sort of take their place.

Please note that this art is very much work in progress and quite likely to change before final release. Colors and details especially.

One thing we've tried to do is create several distinct cultures, something we'll talk about at length in future posts. The first four characters are "domed city dwellers", the next four are "miners", followed by three "sky islanders", and the last two are "rogue scavengers."

The character classes from left to right are: Capsule beast and Pilot (the "mcguffin" that replaces Azra), Fighter, Duelist, Beast Master, Weaselmancer, Guard Herald, Demolisher, Champion, Sky Whaler, Archer, Healer, Gunner, and Hermit. Big thanks to artists Blake Reynolds and Vladimir Gerasimov for the awesome animations.

As always, you can pre-order Defender's Quest 2 here. Every pre-order comes with a FREE copy of Defender's Quest 1, which is available right now, and will be receiving a free HD upgrade in the coming months (as soon as the DQ2 engine is done).

I thought Javir was going to be his own dude. Interesting. I wonder if he'll get his own skills and equipment, even if he is just on permanent Turtle Tank duty? Azra had her own spells and spellbooks, I mean.

It'll be interesting to see how all of these characters can be developed, given that the cast is double the size of the DQ1 cast. And even then, Wrenna and Niru sometimes got overlooked.

Edit And while I'm rehosting the images, formatting and commenting on the update, it gets posted in this thread by the dev. :) Whoops.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 26, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SOLD

I pre ordered this thing a long time ago

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
dude i love these animations

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

I thought Javir was going to be his own dude. Interesting. I wonder if he'll get his own skills and equipment, even if he is just on permanent Turtle Tank duty? Azra had her own spells and spellbooks, I mean.

We're still working out the final details on that, but the broad strokes are:
- In battle, Bitey and Javir function as a single unit
- In your party, they are technically separate character entries, with Javir having basically all the important stats (since we didn't want to complicate things too much for the player to manage)
- Bitey can have different weapons/artillery/modules loaded into various slots prior to a battle -- like if Azra could equip up to 6 books that determined which spells she had in battle.
- We're toying with the idea of certain story-based NPC's "riding along" as co-pilots that will give some passive buff or something.

So basically you don't have to worry about micro-managing the Javir+Bitey combination. Basically the stats go on Javir and the equipment goes on Bitey. We might just show them in the party as Bitey+Javir in their own box together.

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

seriously, :wtc:
I loved the hell out of the first game, but after an hour of playing it would cause my system (i7/16g ram, 7900 series card) to poo poo itself. I'm going to assume the second game isn't uh ... how to put it ... coded like poo poo?

Also, when is it going on steam?

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

larsiusprime posted:

- We're toying with the idea of certain story-based NPC's "riding along" as co-pilots that will give some passive buff or something.

That sounds neat. Suikoden 3 and 4 both had characters you could put in the Support role as I remember, who didn't actively appear in battle but did do some unique effect for the party. So I approve.

Catpants McStabby posted:

I loved the hell out of the first game, but after an hour of playing it would cause my system (i7/16g ram, 7900 series card) to poo poo itself. I'm going to assume the second game isn't uh ... how to put it ... coded like poo poo?

I assume your rig doesn't play well with Flash or Adobe AIR, for whatever reason? How does the original Binding of Isaac run on your system after an hour, if you own it on Steam?

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

Jesto posted:

I assume your rig doesn't play well with Flash or Adobe AIR, for whatever reason? How does the original Binding of Isaac run on your system after an hour, if you own it on Steam?

I've heard Isaac is really good, but haven't gotten it yet. Should I grab it? Also, if it's the same engine as DQ then yea no. (6 hours of Bf4, Farcry 4, diablo 3 are all ok. So I'm guessing Adobe sucks then?)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Just get the Binding of Issac Rebirth instead. It's not on Flash.

Also I recall someone mentioning that Defender's Quest 1 was getting an HD remake?

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

The original game used Adobe AIR, which no matter how well it was coded would just run like crap.

And yes, we're working on an HD remake.

We've switched to using Haxe this time around, which lets us compile our game out to native C++. So no more filthy virtual machines! So I can run the latest builds in 1080p for me without any major problems, though I need to do more profiling before I can make any hard promises about performance.

Here's two quick sloppy benchmarks for the new Haxe engine:

DQ1HD - 1080p fullscreen
Graphics mode: New HD fancy stuff
Title screen: 8-12 % CPU / 800MB
Battle (paused): 20-25% CPU / 844MB

DQ1HD - 800x600 windowed
Graphics mode: Use original pixely sprite art
Title screen: 7-12% CPU / 80MB
Battle (paused): 18-22% CPU / 122MB

-------------

And here's the original AIR game:

DQ1 (original) - 800x600 windowed
Title screen: 20-25% / 432MB
Battle (paused): 25-35% / 665MB

So when you match the graphics settings, the new engine performs massively better, especially in terms of memory use!

There's also the fact that the original probably had memory leaks we could never bust, so it wasn't uncommon to see it sneaking well past 1GB of ram usage over time.

larsiusprime fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 26, 2015

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

larsiusprime posted:

There's also the fact that the original probably had memory leaks we could never bust, so it wasn't uncommon to see it sneaking well past 1GB of ram usage over time.

I'm 99% sure there's some strange memory leak or bug that's hidden inside of placing units, or clicking existing units. Maybe just from having the unit placement menu visible, I dunno.

Because I can have all my dudes placed and the game will run a little on the slow side, even on x4 speed, but the instant I click one of them and hit Recall the game speeds up stupidly fast. No lag whatsoever. I wish the game could run like that all the time, since it makes Hero Mode agonizing to have to choose between playing at a slow speed or being one unit down. And having to place / recall Bakal any time I want to click on a unit to boost it. :smith:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Weird question:
Do you know how many people have earned the Unobtanium Skull for collecting steam cards?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Weird question:
Do you know how many people have earned the Unobtanium Skull for collecting steam cards?

Isn't that the foil badge?

Edit: I misread the question. I actually have it.

Malek fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 27, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Malek posted:

Isn't that the foil badge?

Yep!

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Just get the Binding of Issac Rebirth instead. It's not on Flash.

Also I recall someone mentioning that Defender's Quest 1 was getting an HD remake?

well, poo poo. I'll rebuy the hd then, just because it's awesome ... uh, i CAN xfer my progress over right? :derp:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Catpants McStabby posted:

well, poo poo. I'll rebuy the hd then, just because it's awesome ... uh, i CAN xfer my progress over right? :derp:

Nope, it's more than just an HD version, it's pretty much a complete remake with different characters, types of levels, items, etc.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
IIRC, they did say that they will be giving the HD version for free to previous buyers.

EDIT: Whoops I misread. I'm talking about DQ1.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 28, 2015

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Mokinokaro posted:

IIRC, they did say that they will be giving the HD version for free to previous buyers.

Who is they? The Binding of Isaac guys or Defender's Quest?

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Heya :) Don't know what Edmund McMillen's plans are, but as for us:

DQ1HD is going to be an in-place upgrade to the existing DQ1. Whether you have it on steam or gog or from us or whatever, you log in one day and now it's the new version. Save files should be 100% compatible and transfer over painlessly. (Legacy version will still be available optionally)

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Well that sounds wonderful. :) I'm mostly looking forward to these teased story additions than any amount of graphical polish, though. DQ could be in ASCII and I'd probably be cool with it.

You know, there's rare few mods for DQ. Someone should probably get to work on an ASCII mod. Hrm.

Oh, while you're here Lars, it looks like the Kongregate demo keeps spamming people to the EULA page?

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

larsiusprime posted:

Heya :) Don't know what Edmund McMillen's plans are, but as for us:

DQ1HD is going to be an in-place upgrade to the existing DQ1. Whether you have it on steam or gog or from us or whatever, you log in one day and now it's the new version. Save files should be 100% compatible and transfer over painlessly. (Legacy version will still be available optionally)

I love you, and will continue to buy your poo poo just because you're awesome.
ETA?

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

quote:

That's HaxeFlixel's stock demo, "MODE" running on a WiiU. Of course, HaxeFlixel is the engine Defender's Quest HD and Defender's Quest II are built on top of.

I'll be doing a talk on this at the 2015 World Wide Haxe conference1 this Sunday and when I return I'll put up a video of the talk. For most of you it will be boring technical details, but here's the upshot:

Defender's Quest HD and Defender's Quest II are now coming to the following platforms (almost certainly, in terms of us being technically able to do it, official approval pending console holders, blah blah):

WiiU
XBox One
PSVita
PS4

We're also going to try for these platforms too depending on technical stuff (DQ's memory overhead mostly) / kit availability:

PSVita
3DS
PS3

The tech stack we're building will eventually support all of those, whether DQ itself makes it to every single one depends on priorities, blah blah.

And yes, PC is still our first and primary target. I'm hopping on a plane first thing tomorrow morning and I'm rushing to get packed so I probably won't be able to answer any questions right off the bat, but I'll get to them eventually!

It's nice to see all that HaxeFlixel stuff is finally paying off. I wonder how well a TDRPG will play on a console with a controller? With handhelds it makes sense, you tap on a large grid. I'll be interested to see it works.

Though I do remember something about testing DQ1 with Steam's new controller thing a while back. Maybe it already works pretty smoothly?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Are you porting Haxeflixel yourselves? How difficult was it? I work in Haxepunk and it'd be nice to know PS4/Wii U are relatively easy options.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

Count Uvula posted:

Are you porting Haxeflixel yourselves? How difficult was it? I work in Haxepunk and it'd be nice to know PS4/Wii U are relatively easy options.

http://www.fortressofdoors.com/openfl-for-home-game-consoles/

You might wanna fill out the form at the bottom of this article.

WiiU, 3DS, PSVita, XBox One, PS3, PS4... wow. Can they get DQ1 and DQ2 to all those systems easily, I wonder.

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Count Uvula posted:

Not exactly. HaxeFlixel's code is staying the same. What we're doing is adding a *new target backend* for Lime/OpenFL themselves, which HaxeFlixel (and Haxepunk) are built upon. So I was actually going to try to get a Haxepunk demo ready for the conference but didn't have time. So no changes should need to really be made at the HaxeFlixel/HaxePunk level -- well, obviously one would want to take advantage of specific features of the console, and definitely test it on hardware, but basically a FlxSprite is a FlxSprite, etc, the backend handles the rest.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
A new screenshot of the HD remake in action, in 1080p. :) It looks fun, even without the UI.

Maybe you could recreate my favorite image in 1080p, Lars? It might look neat smartphone wallpaper sized. I think I took this on the Giant Hand level.

And the massive options menu gets even bigger. :D https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CIOwNYWWwAERmkm.mp4

Jesto fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 24, 2015

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
The first big story teaser has been released, though the writer is currently heavily medicated. Keep that in mind when reading the update.

Defender's Quest II: The City of Ennekar - http://www.fortressofdoors.com/defenders-quest-2-the-city-of-ennekar/

There's a new music track from Kevin Penkin, plenty of new artwork of the various story characters in the game and more story than you could know what to do with. I wonder how they'll manage to fit all this backstory and lore into the game, unless the way cutscenes work is different from Defender's Quest? No more people chatting at each other, but actual book-like text.

An interesting detail caught my eye.

quote:

The desperate struggle to keep up population means that men are largely used as the "expendable gender" – mining, building, and doing all the other things that lead to an average life expectancy of 35. This "protect the baby makers" mentality meant that women and men began developing radically different social roles, with women (who lived on average twice or more a man's expected lifespan) taking over all of the social duties that are best done by people who aren't dropping like flies, such as planning, ruling, directing strategy, etc. The gender roles quickly became strong burly men punching monsters in the face, and elegant intelligent women running the government, etc. Women are trained by birth to do things only educated people can do while male miners are largely illiterate, (because time spent learning these things could be better spent fighting and building and growing ridiculous mustaches.)

Very interesting premise for a society surviving when the world goes to hell.

I forsee a vocal minority being unhappy about men being an "expendable gender" and women being "baby-makers", though, no matter how much it makes sense within the context of the setting. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
Yeah, the new setting is super cool, and big story teasers like this get me super pumped for this game all over again! I don't think there's anything for SJWs to get too worked up over here, considering the extraordinary circumstances, but I suspect that doesn't at all matter to some...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

larsiusprime
Nov 7, 2012

Hey everybody! Just poking my head in here again :) I should have another DQ 2 post ready relatively soon (got a lot of cool new art & story material to go over), but to tide you guys over in the meantime, I have a big post about the upcoming DQ1 HD upgrade, with tons of screenshots. Also, at the risk of coming off like an arrogant rear end, I use the recent FFV HD remake as an example of what not to do:

http://www.fortressofdoors.com/doing-an-hd-remake-the-right-way/

• Locked thread